• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 pksage

pksage

Mostly-Benevolent Overlord

• Administrator
  • 1,109 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 02:00 PM

Blog post: June 14, 2013 - Guns N' Roses 3-pack, Primus, ELO, and a FtV Keane 3-pack!

Use this thread to provide feedback or report issues on any of the following songs:
  • Electric Light Orchestra - "Sweet Talkin' Woman"
  • Guns N' Roses - "Don't Cry (Original)"
  • Guns N' Roses - "Live and Let Die"
  • Guns N' Roses - "November Rain"
  • Keane - "Everybody's Changing"
  • Keane - "Is It Any Wonder?"
  • Keane - "Somewhere Only We Know"
  • Primus - "Wynona's Big Brown Beaver"
  • Primus - "Wynona's Big Brown Beaver (2x Bass Pedal)"

#2 CherryBomb

CherryBomb
  • 15 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 02:11 PM

This is frickin awesome! Finally November Rain I'm soooooo happy :D

#3 Hetz

Hetz

Beacon of Positivity

• 761 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 02:32 PM

So awesome!!! Love all of it...but especially the GnR!

#4 SleazyPseudonym

SleazyPseudonym
  • 35 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 04:04 PM

Yay

Can not wait for Use Your Illusion II Greatest Hits Pack :D

Also playing the "Live and Let Die" riff in RB is as fun as I ever hoped it be, thank you.
Marlboro on RB forums

#5 Farottone

Farottone

The Lean Mean Customs Charting Machine

• Administrator
  • 6,464 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 04:06 PM

Yay

Me neither! :D

#6 Sideshow

Sideshow
  • 2,594 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 07:41 PM

Thank you so much Farottone. The GNR pack is unfreaking believeable.

#7 jokeman23

jokeman23
  • 345 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 08:04 PM

Yay

Me neither! :D

OMG please tell me it includes:

- Civil War
- 14 Years
- Yesterdays
- Estranged ******** (this song would be amazing)
- You Could be Mine

#8 Sideshow

Sideshow
  • 2,594 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 09:09 PM

If I could only pick 3 songs from Use Your Illusion II it would be:

Yesterdays
Estranged
You Could Be Mine

#9 ws54

ws54
  • 842 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 09:18 PM

It doesn't happen often but I got chills right before the final solo on November Rain.

#10 dbeblo

dbeblo
  • 7 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 11:08 PM

Excellent all around!

Always love more GNR. ELO was a nice treat and one of my buddies who comes over to play loves Primus.

Keep up the great work :excited:

#11 Hetz

Hetz

Beacon of Positivity

• 761 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 12:32 AM

If I could only pick 3 songs from Use Your Illusion II it would be:

Yesterdays
Estranged
You Could Be Mine

Those would be my 3 choices as well.

#12 Farottone

Farottone

• Administrator
  • 6,464 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 12:35 AM

Can't you just all enjoy this 3-pack before wishing for a new one? :D

#13 Sid Kafizz

Sid Kafizz
  • 264 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 05:33 AM

I had a chance to play a few of these earlier tonight - on prodrums only. Sweet Talkin' Woman is great fun, and the Keane tracks are excellent, too. My old leg gave out before I could play any of the others - maybe tomorrow?

Thanks again, C3!

#14 Sideshow

Sideshow
  • 2,594 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 07:05 AM

Can't you just all enjoy this 3-pack before wishing for a new one? :D

I'm very grateful for this pack. Even though I pretty much love all of Use Your Illusion I, you sure picked 3 awesome songs from the album. No complaints here. I kinda thought November Rain was on its way at some point but wasnt expecting it this soon. I was thinking you were going to wait till......well......November to release it. :P

#15 Sgoast

Sgoast
  • 21 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 03:13 PM

When I was a kid, I just could not listen to November Rain. The video freaked me out so badly ("MAN THEY CUT THAT LADY IN THE COFFIN IN HALF.") that I couldn't even handle hearing the song afterwards. If I couldn't turn it off, I would cover my ears for at least the last half of the song which was apparently the most frightening part to me. Little me was weird.

Uh, good week.
God, that was violent. I blame... the sea.

#16 Bryan2Blazed

Bryan2Blazed
  • 87 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 05:57 PM

Farottone, Thank you for the GnR and all your hard work. Your vocal charting skills have improved 100% since I first started playing customs from you. You did such a great job on these. Especially with Axle's raspy voice being the way it is and no masters. Since these are such high caliber songs. I would like to help make these better. So let me just get right into it.
November Rain: CHORUS 3B,4B,5B 1st Phrase: Everybody needs somebody. "some-bo-dy" is charted too high. 2nd and 3rd Phrase: You're not the only one. "You're not the" is charted too low.
Ending: Everybody needs somebody. "Some-bo-dy" is also too high here. Otherwise this is right on the money. 98% GS sightread.

Live and Let Die: Vocal Break 1 1st phrase: Say live and let die. "Say" Would be better served as a talky since the phrase is so short. I can't really put my finger on exactly what is wrong with this phrase but you must be 105% deadly accurate to hit it. A simple fix would be to combine the 1st and 2nd phrase into one phrase.
Vocal Break 2: I'm not sure why you charted this differently from Vocal Break 1. Testing them back to back they are identical sounding to me. 1st phrase: Say live and let die. "Say" is way too low. 2nd phrase: Live and let die. "Die" Starts off fine but dips up too high then goes back to being right at the end.

I haven't tested Don't Cry yet. Wanted to put thought to text while it was still fresh in my mind. These are so close that if it were any other band I probably wouldn't have posted. But Guns n Roses are the holy grail of RB songs. These songs will be played for years to come and deserve to be as close to perfect, as we the community, can make them.
If anybody ever wants a second opinion on a vocal chart they are working on in the future. Just ask. I would love to help in anyway I can to help this train keep rolling.

#17 Farottone

Farottone

• Administrator
  • 6,464 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 06:09 PM

Farottone, Thank you for the GnR and all your hard work. Your vocal charting skills have improved 100% since I first started playing customs from you. You did such a great job on these. Especially with Axle's raspy voice being the way it is and no masters. Since these are such high caliber songs. I would like to help make these better. So let me just get right into it.

Thank you. :) Glad you liked them, and yes, GnR songs are very difficult to nail, at least for me. Thank you for all the pointers, I'll take a look at those later and implement them, very nice of you to make an accurate list. However...

If anybody ever wants a second opinion on a vocal chart they are working on in the future. Just ask. I would love to help in anyway I can to help this train keep rolling.

Where were you when these songs were in testing?! :D Come on man, PM Espher right NOW and become a playtester, we need competent people helping out! :D Join the ranks. :)

#18 DVDSmith

DVDSmith
  • 431 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 10:01 AM

Another stellar week. You really are knocking it out of the park guys. My only comment is that I wish the November Rain keys chart had charted solely the piano - it felt a weird going between piano, strings and flutes. But other than that, I love it.

When keyboard was announced for Rock Band 3, the first two songs I thought of that I wanted in the game were November Rain and Nightswimming. So June has been VERY good to me so far :D

#19 Farottone

Farottone

• Administrator
  • 6,464 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 04:17 PM

Another stellar week. You really are knocking it out of the park guys. My only comment is that I wish the November Rain keys chart had charted solely the piano - it felt a weird going between piano, strings and flutes. But other than that, I love it.

There are two component to this:
1) Without the original stems, piano is impossible to author cleanly. This is true for almost any song, but even more true for Use Your Illusion I & II songs (yes, there's more in the future, and no, I don't love Estranged and You Could Be Mine enough to spend many hours on those, sorry): we simply can't deliver pro keys songs off those albums without cheating a bit. Even the more accurate sheet music out there helps so little in terms of understanding what really goes on in the song.
2) Regardless of #1, we can't author a piano in the background when, in example, there's a sax solo or a flute, and that goes for any song with more than one part that can be assigned to keyboard (there's a pack coming up with a lot of this going on). I don't jump back and forth, but if there's a clear section when an instrument other than piano is prominent, I author that (but I think it's true for any of us). And this also helps with #1, because any section of the song where we can legitimately author an easier instrument to chart is a good section. :)

#20 Nyxyxylyth

Nyxyxylyth

Magnificent Bastard

• Administrator
  • 1,407 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 04:23 PM

we can't author a piano in the background when, in example, there's a sax solo or a flute, and that goes for any song with more than one part that can be assigned to keyboard (there's a pack coming up with a lot of this going on). I don't jump back and forth, but if there's a clear section when an instrument other than piano is prominent, I author that (but I think it's true for any of us). And this also helps with #1, because any section of the song where we can legitimately author an easier instrument to chart is a good section. :)

Your use of we/us is a bit too liberal - sometimes I stick with piano if I feel like it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users