Poll: What do you care about in a custom?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,976 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 04:02 AM

Rock Band 3 does not have support for sing-alongs in its infrastructure as far as we know. neither any RBN song nor any official HMX song post RB3 has them. the way the songs dta and the oggs are set up, I don't see how it would be.

#42 Orange Harrison

Orange Harrison
  • 73 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 04:08 AM

Rock Band 3 supports singalongs, but nobody knows how to author them. HMX stopped creating singalongs eventually, but the RB3 engine supports singalongs that are included in the old songs. RB3 DLC also supports singalong tracks, this was proven when HMX re-released old songs in RB3 format and included singalongs because they were already made for the older iteration of the song.

#43 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,976 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 04:14 AM

if HMX has released songs post RB3 with it on, why haven't we found it?
if it's in the songs.dta file it will be obvious, just need to know which songs have it. if not, only other option is two channels after backing become sing-alongs.

#44 galexio

galexio
  • 211 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 04:34 AM

if HMX has released songs post RB3 with it on, why haven't we found it?

Have you guys found singalong tracks on pre-RB3 DLC?
The live Iron Maiden songs have prevalent singalongs, and "Fear of The Dark" is a good example.
Loading signature... please wait.

#45 PikminGuts92

PikminGuts92
  • 145 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 04:51 AM

It's easy to notate. The thing that might be hard to do with Magma is export the mogg with an additional stereo track beyond the backing. Note that the pans for singalongs are -2.5 and 2.5.

('creep'
(
   'name'
   "Creep"
)

(
   'artist'
   "Radiohead"
)

('master' 1)
('context' 4)
(
   'song'
   ('name' 'songs/creep/creep')
   (
      'tracks'
      (
         (
            'drum'
            (0 1 2 3 4)
         )

('bass' 5)
         (
            'guitar'
            (6 7)
         )

(
            'vocals'
            (8 9)
         )

)

)

('crowd_channels' 12 13)
   (
      'pans'
      (0.00 -1.00 1.00 -1.00 1.00 0.00 -1.00 1.00 -1.00 1.00 -1.00 1.00 -2.50 2.50)
   )

(
      'vols'
      (0.00 0.00 0.00 -1.50 -1.50 -3.00 -2.50 -2.50 -4.50 -4.50 -3.00 -3.00 -4.50 -4.50)
   )

(
      'cores'
      (-1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 1 1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1)
   )

(
      'drum_solo'
      (
         'seqs'
         ('kick.cue' 'snare.cue' 'tom1.cue' 'tom2.cue' 'crash.cue')
      )

)

(
      'drum_freestyle'
      (
         'seqs'
         ('kick.cue' 'snare.cue' 'hat.cue' 'ride.cue' 'crash.cue')
      )

)

('midi_file' 'songs/creep/creep.mid')
)

('song_scroll_speed' 2300)
('bank' 'sfx/tambourine_bank.milo')
('anim_tempo' 16)
('preview' 106000 147167)
(
   'rank'
   ('drum' 110)
   ('guitar' 225)
   ('bass' 225)
   ('vocals' 110)
   ('band' 140)
)

('genre' 'alternative')
('decade' 'the90s')
('vocal_gender' 'male')
('song_location' 2)
   (downloaded TRUE)
   (exported TRUE)
)

#46 Jerry1gman

Jerry1gman
  • 101 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 06:03 AM

Singalongs? interesting... I have some old home made concert bootlegs, I wounder if I'm on to something here.

#47 Orange Harrison

Orange Harrison
  • 73 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 10:33 AM

I wonder if HMX stopped recording singalongs after RB3 because they laid off too many people to get a crowd together. :v:
What do the pan values greater than -1.00 to 1.00 mean? Does that make the crowd sounds come out of rear speakers when Dolby is enabled?

#48 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,976 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 11:44 AM

It's easy to notate. The thing that might be hard to do with Magma is export the mogg with an additional stereo track beyond the backing. Note that the pans for singalongs are -2.5 and 2.5.

you guys are aware that we have the source code to oggenc, which is what creates the mogg, right? I'm just saying, it might be doable after all.

#49 Nyxyxylyth

Nyxyxylyth

Magnificent Bastard

• Administrator
  • 1,407 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 02:19 PM

I think oggenc creates the mogg, but not the mogg header.

#50 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,976 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 04:03 PM

I think oggenc creates the mogg, but not the mogg header.

yeah, but if I can add the sing-alongs to the ogg before Magma adds the header, we're good. and I believe this should be doable.

i'm going to send you some interesting info later today :c00l:

#51 Oddbrother

Oddbrother
  • 569 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 08:47 PM

I just hope it's the right oggenc. Unlike what Magma has, there have been several others which provide much worse results. Lousy channel bleeding! >:(

Another thing I'd like to ask. Have there been other vocal percussion soundbanks? I saw a cowbell2 when I looked inside the disc.

#52 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,976 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 09:18 PM

not that I can find. we just finished tearing through the ark file that comes with Magma and I found some interesting stuff but nothing as far as vocal banks.

by the way, the oggenc source I'm talking about comes with Magma itself, since oggenc is open source. that's the one I'd be using.

#53 gunner07

gunner07
  • 6 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 04:33 PM

When it comes to customs, I look for songs that match Harmonix's standards, in terms of charting and full multitracks. What I always enjoyed about the games was the simulation aspect, where it allowed players to feel like they're playing the notes, and getting audio feedback, or to silence the original vocals when singing.

#54 penguinfinity

penguinfinity
  • 20 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 09:21 AM

I will be honest -- I just care that it works. I've played customs (not sure which and from where) where the animations were all kinds of horrible. Didn't bother me one bit, because I was paying attention to my track (vocals). I mean, the drummer was facing backwards, and all the others were piled on top of him. It was a mess. But you know what? It's easier than the music video background. I hate those. So distracting, and if I had epilepsy, I would not even be able to play.

Main thing I care about is, is it a good song? Do I like it, and/or will party guests like it. Followed closely by, are the tracks fair? I don't know enough about authoring to know what is and isn't RBN or Harmonix quality. I'm certainly not trying to judge anyone's authoring. I have played a couple customs where stuff seemed near impossible to hit. So I care about fairness. It isn't a deal breaker, but if I feel I know a song and I can't do good on it, it's kind of a downer. But I really don't know how much control an author has over that. I mean the vocals track. I've seen some straight up unfair drum tracks (I think they're 2x bass pedal, though not marked as such). I feel bad for the drummer (I married her) but honestly, I really only judge the vocals. Let others judge the rest; I'm in no position to.

For what it works; hope it helps. :)

#55 ziagg

ziagg
  • 111 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 04:36 PM

Hmm I realized I am more and more into multitracks (or at least karaoke tracks). I almost only play with friends these days (and we're having a blast), and quite some of them like to sing. That's just so much cooler if you don't have to battle with the original singer's voice. And when it comes to the instruments it's of course the "feeling I am really playing the song".

Anyway, I'm a bit late to the party here, but I was surprised myself actually that I feel this way now. A couple of months ago I wouldn't have really cared. I guess I'm becoming a bit difficult with age =)

I'd still get a non-multitrack custom if I really love the song, but I'm much more likely to give an unknown/"not so great" song a chance if it's based on multis.

#56 moc_os

moc_os
  • 60 posts

Posted October 26, 2013 - 05:12 PM

While im most interested in pro guitar because thats what is most lacking in rb, i love the tracks that wouldnt make it into rb the most, either due to genre or popularity or license. It was a special treat to play nina simone and portishead.

I think the variety and features available here so far is excellent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users