C3 Forums

(Nearly) Unlimited 'game_origin' categories for TU4

So thanks to Fat Halpert, I tested a custom source custom with a milo venue (courtesy of MiloMod). It absolutely works. You can set the source to whatever you want and still have a venue. This will exclude all applicable songs from being picked for the road challenges based on their source.

I tested genres, and it looks like the same thing will happen. If the genre specified is not in any of the specified "filter" genres, it will not select them based on genre.
One thing unrelated is that "off-hand" genres such as Fusion and R&B/Soul/Funk may be selected together for a challenger under "Other". If any of them have enough for a setlist, they can also be chosen under their specific genre.

So you could simply upgrade customs to use milo venues and put whatever you want as the source? The only catch being that if you play a road challenge and its a "DLC rock songs" playlist, even if that song is both of those things, because it is of a custom source, it eliminates it from being selected.

Fantastic testing on this! This is great news!

Now for injecting custom lines of text into the game file so we could use whatever category we want.

So you could simply upgrade customs to use milo venues and put whatever you want as the source? The only catch being that if you play a road challenge and its a "DLC rock songs" playlist, even if that song is both of those things, because it is of a custom source, it eliminates it from being selected.

Fantastic testing on this! This is great news!

Now for injecting custom lines of text into the game file so we could use whatever category we want.

It doesn't do source and genre at the same time. It's either one or the other.

Huh, missed this thread, but yes, sources are limited by strings, if the strings are in-game, they will work as a source.

This can be combined with creating your own strings in order to create completely custom sorting.

xC9oN46.png

Right now there is a small limitation in that by default, the game sets all non "ugc_plus" venues to use a different venue standard to what customs use, this can be addressed with an executable hack on Xbox.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2020 at 6:34 PM, jerrylive365 said:

Watching this thread with great interest.

Me too! I am just waiting to figure out how to add text to the game, so that it can be used as a game_origin source. As soon as I can figure that out, we can do fully custom song sources on TU4.

Thanks to the testing done by @i0brendan0 we know that venues won't break with a cusom song source, as long as you use milomod to convert the venue. They just use the default selection of venues that all other songs use, instead of the special selection that ugc_plus has access to.

I think Milomod has the potential to batch convert CONs as well as change the game_origin. The code is mostly in the program already!

This is worth trying out on the PS3 as well. Not sure if I understood everything about it, but since normally I have no use for filtering by source, it would be nice if sources could be customized to group customs according to new criteria. 

30 minutes ago, Shroud said:

it would be nice if sources could be customized to group customs according to new criteria. 

It is very handy. I have created a few groups and put together certain songs. For instance, I separated all the Blitz songs into their own category since they just show up as regular DLC. I did the same for my AC/DC export pack.

As far as PS3 is concerned, I'm not so sure that this method wouldn't work. Unless I'm missing something, you could just do the custom source and then convert it with CONtools.

4 hours ago, TrashRBPlayer said:

I use an RGH Xbox 360. With a unreleased XEX Patch *which should be releasing once more testing is done*, custom sources are entirely doable and shouldn't cause any problems.

I also use TU5 yes. I haven't used TU4 in years.

Nice!  JTAG here and I am hoping to see this be released!