Jump to content

Avatar

Weird Issue After Removing Notes


  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Spike1958

Spike1958
  • 43 posts

Posted September 15, 2020 - 09:35 PM

I have been doing some work on the fantastic DSOTM file created by AJFOne23.

Essentially, it is not playable on any level for keys. On the Run section is the culprit, there are just too many notes to be played, and the tracks are all the same for all 4 levels. I believe this part of the album is just Roger and Dave tweaking knobs on synthesizers.

 

So i extracted the mid file and reduced the number of notes in Reaper(yea me, I figured out how to get coloured notes in the docked section). Exported the file and renamed it to be the same as the old one.

 

Ran PS3 Converter in the 3Con tools, and went off to load the file on my PS3.

 

It would not play, gave me the error that the song is not available. Checked it a little more closely and all the files in pf-dsotm folder all start with pf-dsotm. My new mid.edat file was called pfdsotm.mid.edat

 

Well this is weird. Renamed the file to pf-dsotm.mid.edat and restarted RB3. Same problem.

 

Went back to my PC, removed the entry from songs.dta, used the original con file, created the song folders and a new songs.dta.

Loaded them all up, and it all works fine(except for not being to play that keys part).

Replaced the mid.edat file with my new one from the PC, renaming it on the PC this time(because, like, maybe the PS3 - was not the correct kind of -). Same problem.

 

Back to the PC. Created the mid.edat file again. This time I noticed that the mid.edat file PS3 Converter created was called pfdsotm.mid.edat. Strange.

 

Extracted the mid file from the con again, and without doing anything to it, ran PS3 Converter. It went from pf-dsotm.mid to pfdsotm.mid.edat

 

So I am guessing there is some sort of mismatch between what the file is called and what other files are expecting, so even though I have changed the name to pf-dsotm.mid.edat, somewhere inside it is still pfdsotm.mid.edat.

 

thanks in advance for any help and as always a big thank you to the guys doing the work creating the customs and the guys who created the means for us to play them



#2 Shroud

Shroud
  • 561 posts
  • Location
    EU

Posted September 16, 2020 - 06:14 AM

There is a bug in C3 CON Tools such that any character "-" is removed from the filename when encrypting a replacement midi. 

 

I think you can circumvent the problem if you instead replace the midi directly into the CON file (to edit the content of a CON file, drag-and-drop the original CON onto an empty area of C3 CON Tools, it will then show the files included and let you replaced them). Then use PS3 converter on the whole updated CON.

 

Also note that if you first encrypt the replacement midi and then rename it, then it will just not work. You have to first give it the correct target name, and then encrypt. By intuition, it might be that the encrypting algorithm itself uses the filename, so if you change the filename after encrypting, decrypting will fail.



#3 Spike1958

Spike1958
  • 43 posts

Posted September 16, 2020 - 02:31 PM

Thanks, I will give that a try. After I redo my mods and in all the confusion, all I have left of my changes is the edat file. Oh well.



#4 Shroud

Shroud
  • 561 posts
  • Location
    EU

Posted September 16, 2020 - 04:15 PM

Also be aware that the "encrypt replacement midi" function DELETEs the input midi, so make sure to keep a backup before using it!

#5 Spike1958

Spike1958
  • 43 posts

Posted September 16, 2020 - 04:52 PM

Thanks Shroud. Doing it that way fixed the issue.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users