Why multichannel midi tracks?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shroud

Shroud
  • 562 posts

Posted September 12, 2020 - 07:48 AM

Sometimes I open up someone else's custom in Reaper to make modifications for my own taste or fix PS3 loop ending. I have noticed that occasionally Reaper tells me that some tracks in the multitrack midi file are themselves multichannel, and asks me if I want to merge them into single channels. I didn't see any reference to multichannel in Farottone's authoring tutorial, and always used single-channel tracks for my own customs. I think they might be needed for Pro Guitar but I've seen them also elsewhere.

What is the reason for using multiple channels in a single midi track?

If I modify a custom with a multichannel track, does it matter if I merge it, am I going to break something?

#2 Abacus

Abacus
  • 32 posts

Posted September 12, 2020 - 08:53 AM

If I'm thinking about what you're explaining, all that means is whoever's customs you're modifying just had the song audio loaded in each instrument chart, later to be removed obv lol

#3 Spindoctor

Spindoctor
  • 1,330 posts

Posted September 12, 2020 - 10:01 AM

What is the reason for using multiple channels in a single midi track?

If I modify a custom with a multichannel track, does it matter if I merge it, am I going to break something?

The simple answer is 

I don't know why it does that, but it does.

It's nothing the author did.

Merge the tracks.

It won't break anything.

Links to all songs are in the Customs database.

Rock with the Doc at c3Universe

"Music can change the world because it can change people"  

Bono

#4 Alternity

Alternity
  • 1,225 posts

Posted September 12, 2020 - 05:29 PM

Pro guitar tracks are multi-channel. The channel number indicates the type of note, like HOPOs, Tapping, etc etc. I am not aware of anything else that actually uses more than one channel except pro guitar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users