Interested in learning how to create RB3 customs for Xbox 360 - where to start?

help tutorial? advice requested xbox 360 authoring drum authoring

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 BornGamerRob

BornGamerRob
  • 560 posts

Posted July 9, 2020 - 07:28 PM

No, not the same. It is indeed on GitHub.

https://github.com/a...v1.2.1-sillabub

Read the full thread in the authoring forum on how to install. You will need Python.

Check out my video playlists: YOUTUBE

#22 cleverest

cleverest
  • 152 posts

Posted July 9, 2020 - 10:45 PM

Okay still in the magma phase so I'll be trying to figure out CAT after that...

TWO QUESTIONS for anyone if you can help please. I discovered the amazing SpleeterGUI, which allowed me to extract the drums and have the main audio track without drums and then the drum track by itself in Reaper, which is great for laying the notes/blobs down and verifying my work (which BTW was flawless as far as I can tell with it, lol). I play the song minus drums and the drum wav files together and it's just like my single track was before (the main wav/non-drum track isn't 100% perfectly devoid of drums, but they are super super faint).

1. Does this mean I can choose multi-track checkbox in the Magma Window since I'm doing a drum only song, or would I need ALL multi-tracks for that?

2. What do I do in Reaper to export the audio properly as a midi file for magma to work with (I think that's the next step,but this is my first time doing this, maybe I'm wrong) I just want it so that when the drummer misses a beat it doesn't play it in the game, it just plays the non-drum main wave, ya know, all pro-sounding Harmonix style. :-)

This is fun!

#23 Alternity

Alternity
  • 1,203 posts

Posted July 9, 2020 - 10:55 PM

IDs should always be numerical, you cannot use "anything". On xbox, using a non-numerical ID will cause scores to not save in your savegame and therefore go away once you mess with the cache, on PS3 these IDs will just not work properly, and I'm not sure what it does on Wii, but it's also not good, just make numerical IDs to make the life of the users easier.

Another good point to make numerical IDs is that you need them to be able to play them online, for those who are playing online.

#24 hardcoredrummer

hardcoredrummer
  • 237 posts

Posted July 9, 2020 - 11:08 PM

IDs should always be numerical, you cannot use "anything". On xbox, using a non-numerical ID will cause scores to not save in your savegame and therefore go away once you mess with the cache, on PS3 these IDs will just not work properly, and I'm not sure what it does on Wii, but it's also not good, just make numerical IDs to make the life of the users easier.

Another good point to make numerical IDs is that you need them to be able to play them online, for those who are playing online.

this should be in the authoring documentation for best practices...that and naming the folder and files uniquely so that a song like always by bon jovi doesn't get messed up with always by killswitch engage, saliva and first of october etc

#25 BornGamerRob

BornGamerRob
  • 560 posts

Posted July 10, 2020 - 01:03 AM

IDs should always be numerical, you cannot use "anything".

Okay, it's not necessary to be rude to me. If you want to debate my point you don't have to passive aggressively address me like that.

And actually, you can use non numerical values as I've stated. And you should when you are compiling to practice. Many people use non-numerical, so it's not like I'm coming from nowhere.

ids.png 

And to add, be careful with using just any numerical values as you could cause SERIOUS issues with having the same numerical id as someone else which would override their song or cause songs not to show. There are repercussions for not using numerical values; however, it's not a can't option, it's technically possible.

#26 BornGamerRob

BornGamerRob
  • 560 posts

Posted July 10, 2020 - 01:07 AM

Okay still in the magma phase so I'll be trying to figure out CAT after that...

TWO QUESTIONS for anyone if you can help please. I discovered the amazing SpleeterGUI, which allowed me to extract the drums and have the main audio track without drums and then the drum track by itself in Reaper, which is great for laying the notes/blobs down and verifying my work (which BTW was flawless as far as I can tell with it, lol). I play the song minus drums and the drum wav files together and it's just like my single track was before (the main wav/non-drum track isn't 100% perfectly devoid of drums, but they are super super faint).

1. Does this mean I can choose multi-track checkbox in the Magma Window since I'm doing a drum only song, or would I need ALL multi-tracks for that?

2. What do I do in Reaper to export the audio properly as a midi file for magma to work with (I think that's the next step,but this is my first time doing this, maybe I'm wrong) I just want it so that when the drummer misses a beat it doesn't play it in the game, it just plays the non-drum main wave, ya know, all pro-sounding Harmonix style. :-)

This is fun!

Yes, you can have a single instrument multi-track custom.You would use your separate drum track and load it up in the KIT option in Magma. Then compile all the other instruments (MINUS the drums) and use that as the BACKING track. Then you're good to go.

Glad you're having fun. It is fun! =-)

#27 cleverest

cleverest
  • 152 posts

Posted July 10, 2020 - 02:27 AM

Awesome thanks for the info. Before I get to MAGMA I need to run CAT right so I can at least do drum animations? I have CAT set up in Reaper now, it opens...

Is there a video tutorial somewhere (I missed it if so) for using CAT for first-time users? I have major button-options here...so far I have two songs charted out fully, but I'm not sure what to do now. They only have Expert+Pro drum parts on them and only will for now (and perhaps totally by me, not sure about the rest, maybe vocals someday as I have a mic to play with, but no guitar controllers, so I'm not inspired enough to try those....

*So....I see create drum animations button in CAT, with the proper song open (drum midi track selected?) I should do that one right? Anything else?

#28 BornGamerRob

BornGamerRob
  • 560 posts

Posted July 10, 2020 - 02:39 AM

Nope. No video. But read the user manual. https://docs.google....gKAmakDaOXgQvSs

That should show you what all those wonderful buttons do.

#29 cleverest

cleverest
  • 152 posts

Posted July 10, 2020 - 02:51 AM

Nope. No video. But read the user manual. https://docs.google....gKAmakDaOXgQvSs

That should show you what all those wonderful buttons do.

Thanks I did that. I see what they do, but not what I SHOULD DO when I complete each track and make things look nicer than not using it...

'Create Drum animations' seems like the only button I need to click? Do I HAVE to click Create a BEAT track first though? or Create Animations Events first?

I thought I could use this to create easier charts for lower difficulties, but it's not intuitive of how, so I just click and it magically does this or do I need to have certain columsn/tracks selected?

Maybe I'm thinking too hard about this.

#30 cleverest

cleverest
  • 152 posts

Posted July 10, 2020 - 03:28 AM

Just an update.... I did the automatic reductions (drums) option under supersets (after saving an alt version of the project of course) and it magically looks amazing for E/M/H....just a bit aggressive on the GREEN DRUM throughout EASY on some longparts, but otherwise looks really good...

I'm scared to click other buttons, this worked so well... LOL

#31 BornGamerRob

BornGamerRob
  • 560 posts

Posted July 10, 2020 - 04:53 AM

Just an update.... I did the automatic reductions (drums) option under supersets (after saving an alt version of the project of course) and it magically looks amazing for E/M/H....just a bit aggressive on the GREEN DRUM throughout EASY on some longparts, but otherwise looks really good...

I'm scared to click other buttons, this worked so well... LOL

So you don't NEED to click any buttons but the ones you want. But yes, it does a pretty good job at reductions. I'm also glad you looked at them. Just update them manually in the spots where it doesn't work right as I think you've caught on to.

What I typically do is get rid of any play, idle markers that were in the template. Then, use the create animations button for your track. It places the play, idle and real time idle in the right spots for you. Again, if you want to "correct" these with other markers, feel free. But this lays down a nice baseline of at least getting proper markers in place out of the gate.

If you use the Create Beat Track button, just be sure you've adjusted your [end] marker in the Events track properly. I usually don't have beat markers in the track, so using the button saves time and puts the markers in place properly (especially nice when doing odd tempo maps and you've set your tempo markers properly.

As you chart more and more, you'll know which buttons in CAT you love the most and which you avoid.

Sounds like you're getting close!

#32 cleverest

cleverest
  • 152 posts

Posted July 10, 2020 - 05:17 AM

Thanks a lot! I did no the animations (drums) option on the top and although I can't preview it, just looking through it, it seems solid...

to verify about End Markers, that's just any marker named End right? I created a marker by double clicking the top where the song ends (where I dragged the clips to end, same spot) and named it End....or is there a specific way to set a special end marker I'm not seeing in Reaper?

Why would I even use Create Beat Track? I see MIDI notes already exist on the Beat channel, so do I need to? In what case would I need to ....the manual is pretty vague on WHY to do this...any help appreciated...I'm almost there!

#33 cleverest

cleverest
  • 152 posts

Posted July 10, 2020 - 05:25 AM

Thanks to all who have helped...

Also...

One of the 2 songs I've done has a long fade out sequence (non-playable by anything), and the other one has some studio/band member noises I want to clean up...what is the best way to fade these tracks out...is setting the end marker in Reaper all that's needed when exporting to clip it off? How can I fade it nicely...do I need to do this to the actual audio clip loaded in Reaper or can this be done later somehow using another tool?

Thanks.

#34 rubydanger

rubydanger
  • 204 posts

Posted July 10, 2020 - 05:38 AM

Your beat track does indeed need to be created for each song but it is simple.  Once you have placed your end marker in events (best way is to simply drag the existing one to avoid errors) then just click create beat track and it will add the beat track up to your end marker.  If you don't do this you will have magma errors.

I use Audacity for fade outs but reaper can do it, its just a little more involved in reaper.

And yes, you are overthinking a bit - just hit some buttons to see what they do and remember to have fun!

<Magma is the very last step in the entire process>

Proud member of SomeOldGuys collab group - see our WIP here

SomeOldGuys Release page here

Video on how I tempo map

Beginners Vocal charting video

#35 cleverest

cleverest
  • 152 posts

Posted July 10, 2020 - 05:59 AM

Your beat track does indeed need to be created for each song but it is simple.  Once you have placed your end marker in events (best way is to simply drag the existing one to avoid errors) then just click create beat track and it will add the beat track up to your end marker.  If you don't do this you will have magma errors.

I use Audacity for fade outs but reaper can do it, its just a little more involved in reaper.

And yes, you are overthinking a bit - just hit some buttons to see what they do and remember to have fun!

<Magma is the very last step in the entire process>

Thanks, I need to go back and do the Beat Track...I hope me doing it last after the other stuff didn't hurt anything...

I did end up trying Magma just to check it out, but it tells me two audio files are not enough, such as a  silent CROWD track or it will be corrupted...(only have the backing [full song minus drums and the drum track] - what's the best method around that? Create silence for the song length...any better/easier way?

* never-mind, I found the right-click silence options in Magma...very handy...

#36 cleverest

cleverest
  • 152 posts

Posted July 10, 2020 - 06:02 AM

I chose CREATE BEAT TRACK and chose the first option (CREATE BEAT TRACK NOTES), and it just went away...didn't see to do anything...I hope that worked...The same midi notes in my Beat track channel appear to still be there and they only go up to 92 (looking right above them at the scale), they don't extend through the entire song...as per this image: https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

#37 cleverest

cleverest
  • 152 posts

Posted July 10, 2020 - 06:16 AM

^^^ Here is an example of my end marker....I didn't have an "original one" that I could find (I'm very new to reaper so maybe I'm not seeing it or i don't know the correct command...), so I had to create the one you see... https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

#38 cleverest

cleverest
  • 152 posts

Posted July 10, 2020 - 06:19 AM

I just realized what was meant by END marker in Events...now I feel stupid...I see the moveable arrow in there...I probably need to run everything again in CAT?

I noticed the drum animations and reductions to EMH didn't seem affected by the wrongly set EVENT marker at least....as far as I can eyeball anyways.

#39 cleverest

cleverest
  • 152 posts

Posted July 10, 2020 - 06:20 AM

Do I need to drag any of the arrows around in EVENTS to places like verses, chorus, "music end", etc....why would I? (sorry, I warned you, I was new to this, haha)

#40 Alternity

Alternity
  • 1,203 posts

Posted July 10, 2020 - 01:27 PM

Okay, it's not necessary to be rude to me. If you want to debate my point you don't have to passive aggressively address me like that.

I'm not sure how I was being rude at all. It's not about debating the point, there's no point to debate. If you want fully functional customs they have to be as close as official content as possible. It's the same for any games, including RB3. That is simply fact, if you think facts are rude then idk, I guess I am being rude.

There is a reason why Magma C3 was changed to use numerical IDs by default as opposed to what it was before, years ago. They found out that it was causing issues, and now we're stuck with a lot of customs that don't have them, that doesn't mean that we should go back to that old trend of half-functioning customs. I get that on xbox, the con of not having numerical IDs is minor, but xbox is not the only console, people do convert these customs to other consoles. I don't think we should repeat the mistakes that we've done in the past, we should try to do better.

An easy way to not get conflicting numerical IDs when your Magma Author ID is not working is to simply not use 7 (or less) (conflicts with Harmonix stuff) or 10 (conflicts with automated Magma IDs) digit numbers, you can use any number of digits you want.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: help, tutorial?, advice requested, xbox 360 authoring, drum authoring

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users