C3 Forums

Are you sure there is no tempo map? Did you pick "include tempo map" when loading the midi file into Reaper.

Every custom needs a tempo map unless the tempo is extremely regular.

Doing x1 drums is not mandatory I think. But it should not require a major work after you have done the x2 version, and it helps users without double kick pedal, so maybe consider it for the future.

yup did that and went view master track. i can give you the name of the songs to double check. the one author said the song was a constant 160bpm and a tempo map wasn't needed. sorry it was my assumption that a tempo map be more than one marker set to 160 etc. if that's still considered a tempo map great.

so now adding drums. there won't be any issues there? all the full band songs or drum charts i've seen have had multiple markers to keep things aligned...

I don't know how you can disagree with "Yes, considering the stock drum kit only has one pedal." considering that it is a true statement, a fact. You and I both think the same, charts should have proper bass pedal notes, but where we disagree is letting people who didn't invest in more than the stock kit play the song. The game was made around that drum kit, and therefore should be the priority. The goal should be to make custom songs as close as DLC as possible, and not just do whatever the fuck you want. If people did whatever the fuck they wanted, we would have a very big amount of questionable content, and that would be annoying; just look at Beat Saber's custom song repertoire, and tell me you want the same to happen with C3. I certainly do not. If you want to do whatever the fuck you want, Clone Hero and/or Phase Shift is an option.

And yes, decimal for BPM is certainly allowed. Humans are not machines and they don't always keep rhythm as such. Tempo mapping shouldn't be different for any instrument you author. There is one tempo map for all the charts. You don't tempo map for drums, you tempo map for the song. A custom song without a tempo map cannot exist. It can have a wrong tempo map, but it cannot have none, that is just not possible. If a MIDI file does not have a tempo set, the default tempo for most softwares (if not all) is 120. A tempo map can be a single marker, or a thousand, it is still a tempo map.

yup did that and went view master track. i can give you the name of the songs to double check. the one author said the song was a constant 160bpm and a tempo map wasn't needed. sorry it was my assumption that a tempo map be more than one marker set to 160 etc. if that's still considered a tempo map great.

so now adding drums. there won't be any issues there? all the full band songs or drum charts i've seen have had multiple markers to keep things aligned...

Well if the song doesn't need more than 1 marker for guitar to be synced, then adding drums doesn't need anything more than what you already have :)

Oh... so if we author a heavy metal song, it's more important to provide a version playable with a single kickdrum pedal than a more faithful one with all kickdrum notes?

It's not "more important", it's the standard. Rock Band 3 is played on a single pedal kit, so all official songs and therefore all authoring rules have and refer to single pedal versions. So your base/standard version needs to be playable on the stock kit, no matter what. It doesn't automatically mean you have to reduce double pedal: there are songs not that fast that are played on a double pedal kit and in game have been authored with all notes (Disturbed had a few of those).

Now, the proper way to do this is also provide a 2x version, mainly because you're probably gonna author it anyway and then reduce if needed, and Magma automatically creates the 2 needed files. But you should never include a 2x Drums track on a standard version of your songs.

Well if the song doesn't need more than 1 marker for guitar to be synced, then adding drums doesn't need anything more than what you already have :)

thanks.. Im curious to see this work out... After charting drums only and knowing timing can be slightly off so multiple tempo markers are required. doing drums to one consistent marker should be interesting to see how it comes out... Just seems odd when you compare a full band chart to a guitar only chart the difference in markers... Chart drums first and you have a ton of markers, chart guitar first and just one...

thanks.. Im curious to see this work out... After charting drums only and knowing timing can be slightly off so multiple tempo markers are required. doing drums to one consistent marker should be interesting to see how it comes out... Just seems odd when you compare a full band chart to a guitar only chart the difference in markers... Chart drums first and you have a ton of markers, chart guitar first and just one...

Well I am not 100% sure that my own method for charting tempo mapping is fine (at least to me the results seem ok) but the way I see it the tempo map has nothing to do with which instruments you want to chart. I make the tempo map before anything else. I put typically one marker per measure (bar), on the first beat. I look at the audio wave in Reaper to see where the peaks are, and while those peaks are typically caused by the drums being hit, you would need to look at those peaks even if you were not charting drums at all, because ALL instruments are being played at the same tempo.

Well I am not 100% sure that my own method for charting tempo mapping is fine (at least to me the results seem ok) but the way I see it the tempo map has nothing to do with which instruments you want to chart. I make the tempo map before anything else. I put typically one marker per measure (bar), on the first beat. I look at the audio wave in Reaper to see where the peaks are, and while those peaks are typically caused by the drums being hit, you would need to look at those peaks even if you were not charting drums at all, because ALL instruments are being played at the same tempo.

Just to underscore the good point made, you don't have to author drums to use drums for tempo mapping purposes. In fact, you should always use them, even if you're not authoring them.

yes this makes sense. this is also more than one marker at the start. which almost isn't even a marker if you just go in at the start and type the bpm from a website. can anyone else ring in here if i can legitimately add drums to someones custom that has a straight line tempo map of a constant bpm. this wouldn't be drum machines either with perfect timing...

thing is going over the authoring tutorial i don't recall it ever saying to use the drums to chart a tempo map even if you are just doing guitar. i'm referring to the pdf. of course pskage and ruby did with their videos but one could think they did that cause drums were implied to be easier to map...