CAT windows are blank

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 SanicStudios

SanicStudios
  • 101 posts

Posted September 14, 2019 - 07:03 PM

I'm tired of having to send my projects off to someone else to be reduced. Every time I select any operation in CAT the window appears blank, sometimes it doesn't appear at all. I have done many checks. My sections are all named correctly, I have an end event at the end of the track and there are no illegal characters in my file names.

HALLLLLP

#2 BornGamerRob

BornGamerRob
  • 424 posts

Posted September 14, 2019 - 07:31 PM

9 out of 10 times it's illegal characters. If you are copying and pasting from other midis, you most likely have illegal characters. There can be illegal characters on the lines within the instrument track or they can be "hidden". For the "hidden" ones, to check, in the bottom left hand corner you should see a drop down box with what is most likely has "Text Events" selected. Click that box. If there is a little black dot to the left of the track name in ANY of the other selections other than Text Events and Velocity, you need to select those tracks and delete all the events on those tracks.

Check out my video playlists: YOUTUBE

#3 SanicStudios

SanicStudios
  • 101 posts

Posted September 14, 2019 - 07:37 PM

Only events in Text & Velocity (apart from EVENTS which only has text). I copied the notes from a MIDI track into the template so Track Name wouldn't be affected. Only the notes got copied over (apart from sections which were all labelled [prc_(sectionname)]

A.K.A still not working

#4 SanicStudios

SanicStudios
  • 101 posts

Posted September 14, 2019 - 08:21 PM

I've tried everything I can think of

#5 yabarnian

yabarnian
  • 33 posts

Posted September 14, 2019 - 09:05 PM

Do you have the correct Python version installed? I think it's 2.7

#6 SanicStudios

SanicStudios
  • 101 posts

Posted September 14, 2019 - 09:31 PM

Yes. CAT has worked in the past on about 2 of my customs.

#7 SanicStudios

SanicStudios
  • 101 posts

Posted September 14, 2019 - 10:52 PM

Still broken. Tried restarting REAPER, searching through text events, i'm lost.

#8 yabarnian

yabarnian
  • 33 posts

Posted September 14, 2019 - 11:05 PM

It may be kind of a stretch but maybe it's your customs directory's permissions. Try changing your Reaper project to another directory and try again.
Something similar happened to me. I was working on a custom with a special character on the filename (Spanish). My temporary solution was copying all tracks to a new, unsaved project and executing CAT there, then copying reductions to the original project.

#9 BornGamerRob

BornGamerRob
  • 424 posts

Posted September 15, 2019 - 01:37 AM

Only events in Text & Velocity (apart from EVENTS which only has text). I copied the notes from a MIDI track into the template so Track Name wouldn't be affected. Only the notes got copied over (apart from sections which were all labelled [prc_(sectionname)]

A.K.A still not working

I'm now confused on your request. You shouldn't be doing reductions from the EVENTS track. You should be on the track you want to reduce and then executing CAT. DON'T execute CAT from an EVENTS track and do reductions. It gets confused. Go to the DRUMS track (make sure it's not on MUTE - don't ask, it's happened to me before), execute CAT, then hit reductions and choose drums.

Also make sure there's no illegal events in the instruments track. You should NOT have section names in an instrument track. Your section name referenced above [prc_xxx] should only be on the EVENTS track.

Check out my video playlists: YOUTUBE

#10 bsbloom

bsbloom
  • 374 posts

Posted September 15, 2019 - 09:33 AM

A few times, I couldn't find whatever was causing the problem.  In those cases, I made a "New Project" file, highlighted only the notes in the chart (guitar, say), copied them, pasted them to the guitar chart in the New Project, and ran CAT on that.

That always worked.  Now I could copy the reductions back to the main project.

Another approach:  Copy the Expert chart to the hard chart, and delete notes that are too hard.  I.e., do the reduction by hand.  That is worth doing on occasion anyway, and will help you learn how to correct CAT reductions. 

#11 SanicStudios

SanicStudios
  • 101 posts

Posted September 15, 2019 - 09:38 AM

In those cases, I made a "New Project" file, highlighted only the notes in the chart (guitar, say), copied them, pasted them to the guitar chart in the New Project, and ran CAT on that.

That's what I have done.

I'm now confused on your request. You shouldn't be doing reductions from the EVENTS track. You should be on the track you want to reduce and then executing CAT. DON'T execute CAT from an EVENTS track and do reductions. It gets confused. Go to the DRUMS track (make sure it's not on MUTE - don't ask, it's happened to me before), execute CAT, then hit reductions and choose drums.

Also make sure there's no illegal events in the instruments track. You should NOT have section names in an instrument track. Your section name referenced above [prc_xxx] should only be on the EVENTS track.

I'm not running it from events, I was just referencing the fact that EVENTS only had velocity in it just to make sure that was correct.

Say I'm on the guitar track and I want to do reductions. I'll open the guitar track in the MIDI editor, open CAT, press automatic reductions (5-lane) and then either a small blank grey window will pop up or nothing will happen.

#12 SanicStudios

SanicStudios
  • 101 posts

Posted September 15, 2019 - 09:41 AM

.Another approach:  Copy the Expert chart to the hard chart, and delete notes that are too hard.  I.e., do the reduction by hand.  That is worth doing on occasion anyway, and will help you learn how to correct CAT reductions. 

I have done reductions by hand a lot of the time because I have given up with CAT. Occasionally I play Clone Hero with my family and they pick songs they want for me to chart so I have to chart all difficulties since my mom and aunt play easy and my dad plays medium/hard

#13 Buster66

Buster66
  • 19 posts

Posted September 16, 2019 - 12:42 PM

If you have given your RPPs to others and they have done CAT reductions no problem, then it seems like it has to be something wrong with the installation of CAT or python. Do other CAT functions work for you (eg, Create Beat Track, create drums animations, fix sustains, etc) or is it only the reductions that don't work? Does the RBNCheck.py function work for you? Is it only some projects where CAT doesn't work or does it work on some but not others? You say it has worked in the past on 2 of your customs. Does it still work on those customs if you run it again or does it now fail?

#14 SanicStudios

SanicStudios
  • 101 posts

Posted September 16, 2019 - 06:30 PM

CAT still works on the customs that it has in the past.

#15 Buster66

Buster66
  • 19 posts

Posted September 17, 2019 - 02:01 AM

Then I don't know. You'd have to debug it since something you are doing or changing most of the time causes CAT to fail. What happens if you open a completely fresh, blank version of the original C3 template (ie uncustomized) and try running CAT reductions? Does it at least pop up the first window where you select the instrument and difficulty levels? If so, then you can take single steps forward in your charting process and see exactly at what point it fails.

#16 SanicStudios

SanicStudios
  • 101 posts

Posted September 17, 2019 - 04:17 PM

It seems to be affected whenever I import my notes.mid into REAPER, which is a problem because the song I'm currently working on has quite a complex tempo map and I'd have to copy it exactly into REAPER. There are MANY BPM markers.

#17 Alternity

Alternity
  • 1,033 posts

Posted September 17, 2019 - 05:19 PM

You could try this: Start with a fresh C3 template. Import the midi in new tracks, accept to import the tempo map.

At this stage what you'd want to do instead of replacing the tracks with the ones you imported is copying the notes in the midi items in their respective tracks. This does not help if the problem is within the midi notes, but if it's something else it will get rid of it.

#18 SanicStudios

SanicStudios
  • 101 posts

Posted September 19, 2019 - 05:33 PM

You could try this: Start with a fresh C3 template. Import the midi in new tracks, accept to import the tempo map.

This doesn't help. As soon as I import the midi CAT stops working. I can still open the main CAT menu but as soon as I click anything, that's when the window goes blank and automatic reductions doesn't even show up anymore.

#19 Buster66

Buster66
  • 19 posts

Posted September 20, 2019 - 11:09 AM

You've solved it then. You need to remove those tracks before CAT will run. So if you do what Alternity suggested, and copy the notes into the template tracks, then delete the imported tracks, does CAT work again?

#20 SanicStudios

SanicStudios
  • 101 posts

Posted September 20, 2019 - 05:25 PM

As soon as the tracks are imported, even if they are deleted, CAT is still broken. Might it help if anybody could send me their working copies of both Python and CAT and test it out to see if my software is just bust?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users