play...mellow...intense...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 a2dmusic

a2dmusic
  • 39 posts

Posted September 8, 2019 - 10:39 PM

Question I only saw sort of addressed tangentially when I searched, and wasn't clear.

[play] is used to have the character not just stand around idling, yes.  But is it actually a *style* of play?  i.e. could it be described as "playing normal"?

I'm charting back and forths between [intense] and [play] and as I was doing so I suddenly wondered if that actually made a difference, or if I needed to switch between [intense] and [mellow] to actually cause a change in animation behavior.

#2 Linos Melendi

Linos Melendi
  • 137 posts

Posted September 8, 2019 - 10:54 PM

[play] is a "style" yes, so switching between intense and play will make a difference. Could even have a whole song with no [play] and only [intense]/[mellow] if you wanted to and the character will still animate. 

#3 a2dmusic

a2dmusic
  • 39 posts

Posted September 10, 2019 - 03:29 AM

Thank you...!! I realize it's kind of a simple thing, but when you read the Harmonix docs, it's left unclear.  Especially since there's a lot of inconsistency (like crowd_normal/crowd_intense/crowd_mellow.... but no "normal" for play).

#4 FujiSkunk

FujiSkunk
  • 841 posts

Posted September 10, 2019 - 03:17 PM

Intensity           | mellow         | normal         | intense
--------------------+----------------+----------------+-----------------
Crowd               | [crowd_mellow] | [crowd_normal] | [crowd_intense]
Band member playing | [mellow]       | [play]         | [intense]
Band member idling  | ---            | [idle]         | [idle_intense]

RB4 introduced an [idle_mellow] for band members, but sadly that's not available in RB3.  There's also [idle_realtime] for band members and [crowd_realtime] for the crowd, when you want them to move independently of the beat.  Finally, for guitar and bass there is [play_solo], where the players play with a little extra flair.

#5 a2dmusic

a2dmusic
  • 39 posts

Posted September 11, 2019 - 03:36 AM

That's a great chart!  I wish they were a bit more consistent in the conventions (this, and things like "PART [instrument]" everything except HARM... etc).  But that Harmonix created RBN at all (allowing for everythingthat has flowed from it,  like this fantastic site from what I understand) is such a great thing, I won't quibble too much.   :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users