Advice regarding [music_start] and [music_end] events

music_start music_end

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ws54

ws54
  • 818 posts

Posted April 16, 2019 - 01:21 AM

It seems the music_start and music_end events are misunderstood even by seasoned authors. I see many customs that put these before the music starts and after the song is completely silent. In the grand scheme of things it is no big deal but this is incorrect.

These are cues to the animation and audio systems to make the crowd applause and cheer.

Imagine you are at a concert and the band starts playing a song you love. Place [music_start] at THAT moment when a crowd would typically start clapping for a song AFTER they recognize the song. This will usually be after a couple of seconds, but occasionally it could be after an extended intro.

Now imaging you just enjoyed a great performance and the song is coming to an end.  Place [music_end] at THAT moment when an audience would typically start to applause. This will usually be while the last notes of the song are still playing or a punctuated final note, but occasionally it will be during the silence of a poignant ending where the audience is hanging on every last note.

#2 BornGamerRob

BornGamerRob
  • 368 posts

Posted April 16, 2019 - 02:26 AM

I love when I get info like this and so well described. I will absolutely be changing how I place these now. Thanks so much!

Check out my video playlists: YOUTUBE

#3 IMMCTNTJK

IMMCTNTJK
  • 308 posts

Posted April 16, 2019 - 02:32 AM

I knew exactly about the music_end event, but I typically just put music_start at the first note... good to know, thanks for the info :D
Want to help me chart Green Day songs? Send me a PM!

#4 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 708 posts

Posted April 16, 2019 - 03:02 AM

Everybody knows hardcore concert goers like me cheer at measure 3.2. Never earlier, never later!

#1 Ranked Wii Customs Player... because it's the Wii
"Like a madman laughin' at the rain" - My custom song releases
Freelancers wanted! - Works-in-progress
"One-Trick Pony" - Details of my contributions in the database!
In-Depth Eclectic Suggestions - Let's collaborate!

Vocals Charting Philosophy - Because sometimes less is more
Packing Like a Pro - The Guide for a Legit Wii Library
Last.fm Profile - Let's be snobs together.

#5 non_zero

non_zero
  • 4 posts

Posted April 17, 2019 - 10:30 AM

This is the type of nuance that I appreciate.  I'll admit that I typically put [music_start] at the very first note and [music_end] at the end of the very last note, but I'll probably take this into account in the future.  Thanks.

choke-1.jpg

#6 FujiSkunk

FujiSkunk
  • 758 posts

Posted April 17, 2019 - 08:29 PM

Excellent write-up.  They're simple little things, but appropriate placement of the [music_start] and [music_end] events really helps with the immersion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users