Non-pitch notes on vocals sometimes not registering?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lifeismusic5

lifeismusic5
  • 381 posts

Posted April 7, 2019 - 03:00 AM

This is sometimes an occurrence & Im not sure why. I frequently play vocals & its a fun time. Though I cant get FCs or high percentages if the non-pitches portions dont register. Does anyone know the reasoning for why this happens? Its actually kind of annoying that it happens only sometimes.

#2 Shroud

Shroud
  • 173 posts

Posted April 7, 2019 - 06:53 AM

I don't really know if this is true but I was told before that the game does some speech recognition on the unpitched vocal parts (for example in rap songs).

I have no idea how much the correct pronunciation matters, how this is affected by the chosen difficulty level, and whether this applies to pitched vocals too. In fact, I am not even sure this isn't an urban legend :D

But if it's a real thing, could it be that the game is punishing you for a less than perfect pronunciation?

#3 akaisenshi

akaisenshi
  • 181 posts

Posted April 7, 2019 - 02:27 PM

I've experienced this problem with talkies a lot of times myself. Dryvox does impact scoring in some way, I wonder if it's looking for a clear distinction between vowels.

#4 i0brendan0

i0brendan0
  • 131 posts

Posted April 8, 2019 - 03:02 AM

I don't really know if this is true but I was told before that the game does some speech recognition on the unpitched vocal parts (for example in rap songs).

I have no idea how much the correct pronunciation matters, how this is affected by the chosen difficulty level, and whether this applies to pitched vocals too. In fact, I am not even sure this isn't an urban legend :D

But if it's a real thing, could it be that the game is punishing you for a less than perfect pronunciation?

In RB3, there is no speech recognition. They scrapped it after people with other accents had issues with non-pitched sections.

I've experienced this problem with talkies a lot of times myself. Dryvox does impact scoring in some way, I wonder if it's looking for a clear distinction between vowels.

No it doesn't. Not anymore.

But to the OP, if you aren't holding any kind of pitch for the word, it's not going to register you singing at all, even if the note is unpitched.

#5 Shroud

Shroud
  • 173 posts

Posted April 8, 2019 - 12:23 PM

In RB3, there is no speech recognition. They scrapped it after people with other accents had issues with non-pitched sections.

No it doesn't. Not anymore.

But to the OP, if you aren't holding any kind of pitch for the word, it's not going to register you singing at all, even if the note is unpitched.

Ok good to know! Was it there in some older version of RB3, or by "scrapped" you mean that it's been in their thoughts during beta, but never made it to the final game?

#6 lifeismusic5

lifeismusic5
  • 381 posts

Posted April 8, 2019 - 04:53 PM

Thanks you guys for the responses, I appreciate the answers. Its just frustrating that sometimes it decides to respond to my vocals other times I pitch the note as best as I can & get nothing.

#7 FujiSkunk

FujiSkunk
  • 841 posts

Posted April 8, 2019 - 11:08 PM

RB3 does not have a sensitivity slider for the microphones, and instead tries to calibrate sensitivity automatically.  Unfortunately this sometimes causes the game to pretty much ignore the microphone(s) during unpitched vocals.  If you have this problem, try exiting back to the menu and starting the song again, hopefully without too much noise around you.  Hopefully you'll have better luck the second time.

#8 lifeismusic5

lifeismusic5
  • 381 posts

Posted April 9, 2019 - 11:54 AM

RB3 does not have a sensitivity slider for the microphones, and instead tries to calibrate sensitivity automatically.  Unfortunately this sometimes causes the game to pretty much ignore the microphone(s) during unpitched vocals.  If you have this problem, try exiting back to the menu and starting the song again, hopefully without too much noise around you.  Hopefully you'll have better luck the second time.

Thats a good suggestion. I have also tried to unplug the mic & replug it back in to see if the pitch is registering better, sometimes it works, others it doesnt. Also plugging it into a different usb spot on my Xbox causes different results sometimes too.

#9 i0brendan0

i0brendan0
  • 131 posts

Posted April 11, 2019 - 01:46 AM

Ok good to know! Was it there in some older version of RB3, or by "scrapped" you mean that it's been in their thoughts during beta, but never made it to the final game?

I just meant that between RB1 and RB3, they dropped the whole "need to say the words" thing. There's a drastic change between playing a talkie song in RB1 then in RB3. I know from experience, playing Brainpower on RB3 meant I didn't need to say "I love it" in the beginning.

#10 FujiSkunk

FujiSkunk
  • 841 posts

Posted April 11, 2019 - 09:20 PM

Brendan is right.  If there was any intention of putting syllable recognition in RB3, it was scrapped long before the game made it to any public betas.  Most likely Harmonix decided it was more trouble than it was worth and planned from the beginning not to include it in RB3.

#11 Shroud

Shroud
  • 173 posts

Posted April 12, 2019 - 06:57 AM

Thanks! I didn't even notice the difference between RB1 and RB3 (and other titles between), despite playing all those games regularly :) But admittedly, rap-like songs are those which I personally sing the most rarely so I probably didn't pay enough attention when doing so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users