• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hoarderofkarma

hoarderofkarma
  • 1 posts

Posted April 16, 2018 - 01:18 AM

So I recently tried to author a song

DAMN! How do you guys do this?

anyway, just saying that if anybody out there has some time on their hands, I'd love to see Say Amen (Saturday Night) by Panic at the disco.

#2 samjjones

samjjones
  • 1,458 posts
    NJ: The Home of Sinatra, Springsteen, and Bon Jovi

Posted April 16, 2018 - 02:37 PM

Same way you get to Carnegie Hall.

Read the copious amounts of documentation and tutorials, watch the hugely informative videos, re-read the copious amounts of documentation and tutorials, get your hands dirty with midis and Reaper and Magma and C3 CON tools.  And practice.

#3 IMMCTNTJK

IMMCTNTJK
  • 288 posts

Posted April 16, 2018 - 04:27 PM

If it helps, charting wise, use editor on fire.
Want to help me chart Green Day songs? Send me a PM!

#4 BornGamerRob

BornGamerRob
  • 296 posts

Posted April 17, 2018 - 06:22 AM

There's only one rule you have to follow. All other rules will default back to it.

Don't give up.

I can hopefully safely assume all the authors here went through pain, failure, mistakes, frustration and I'm sure a host of other things. But they kept following the above rule. When I first started authoring, I had a LOT of mistakes in my first released custom. I didn't tempo map, my vocals were atrocious, I didn't even provide any guitar parts. But I struggled through and put it out there.

After looking at a host of other customs I realized this was not quite right and I wanted to improve, but my second custom wasn't working right. I had midi notes playing over the song, I could not tempo map to save my life, the vocals were all under the singer's voice, it was a train wreck and trust me, I was going to just give up. But I didn't. I ask questions of a community that will answer (pretty darn quick too), I read, and read and read and watched tutorials, until finally it was somewhat sinking in (not even fully yet). But I ensured I followed the single rule.

Because I didn't give up, I'm at over 40 customs released. Are they perfect? Nope. But I continually learn and i backtrack through my customs to reapply my learnings to my released songs. But I've now got over 40 songs I wanted to play that may or may not have ever been released (some for sure never). And THAT is worth all I went through.

Check out my video playlists: YOUTUBE | VIMEO (superior)

#5 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,776 posts

Posted April 17, 2018 - 07:40 AM

authoring is like sex. you're going to suck the first 10 times. then one day

trainrockethotdogs.gif

#6 DashRetro

DashRetro
  • 28 posts

Posted April 17, 2018 - 05:34 PM

I'm very new around here, only having released 4 customs at this point, and Reaper is already at 100 hours of use (it tells me because I'm still in my evaluation period).  So that doesn't even include time spent dealing with a mess of other things.

In the end, though, seeing those dorky Rock Band characters wail out your favorite tunes, and knowing a greater community is also enjoying them is super rewarding :D

I stream on Twitch! https://twitch.tv/dashretro

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users