Tuning Cents in Reaper?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 620 posts

Posted March 10, 2018 - 02:13 AM

Hi. I'm having an issue I've had many times before and am tired of having: pitched tubes that are "not quite" what I need... like a half step off.

This happened a lot while charting the vocals for AJFOne23's custom of Paul Simon's 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover, and now it's happening with my custom of What They Do by The Roots. I tried using a different plugin to attempt to negate the difference I was hearing: VSTi MC44 by Christopher Clews. But that isn't cutting it anymore, since it isn't really fixing the problem at the root (no pun intended, but I'll go with it).

What they do, what they do, what they doooooo... 

That last "do" is not quite an E and it's not quite an F. It's somewhere in between. Is there any way to adjust Reaper's pitching mechanics to address this? Like a half-step? And then, once I know how it sounds or should sound in Reaper, I can translate that into the Tuning Cents setting in Magma? I have no experience with that yet...

#1 Ranked Wii Customs Player... because it's the Wii
"Like a madman laughin' at the rain" - My custom song releases
Freelancers wanted! - Works-in-progress
"One-Trick Pony" - Details of my contributions in the database!
In-Depth Eclectic Suggestions - Let's collaborate!

Vocals Charting Philosophy - Because sometimes less is more
Packing Like a Pro - The Guide for a Legit Wii Library
Last.fm Profile - Let's be snobs together.

#2 MrPrezident

MrPrezident

C3U Moderator

• 895 posts

Posted March 10, 2018 - 02:22 AM

I don't think MC44 supports tuning cents - you have to switch back to good old Reasynth.  It's the second setting "Tuning".   I start with intervals of plus or minus 15 and fine tune from there.   If you are setting it to more than 55 in any direction, you're doing it wrong.

m7ECbsJ.png

FORUM THREAD  /  MY CUSTOMS -  Everything from ABBA to XTC

p89ZznR.png KhDyqmU.png

#3 MrPrezident

MrPrezident

C3U Moderator

• 895 posts

Posted March 10, 2018 - 02:25 AM

Oh yes in case it's not obvious, once you find the appropriate setting, there is a corresponding 'Cents' box in Magma that you must put the same number.

p89ZznR.png KhDyqmU.png

#4 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 620 posts

Posted March 10, 2018 - 02:27 AM

As usual and always, you are my hero. This is so simple, I just had no idea how to do it. Problems solved! Headaches gone! But now I feel like all my previous releases ever were imperfect  :crying: 

#1 Ranked Wii Customs Player... because it's the Wii
"Like a madman laughin' at the rain" - My custom song releases
Freelancers wanted! - Works-in-progress
"One-Trick Pony" - Details of my contributions in the database!
In-Depth Eclectic Suggestions - Let's collaborate!

Vocals Charting Philosophy - Because sometimes less is more
Packing Like a Pro - The Guide for a Legit Wii Library
Last.fm Profile - Let's be snobs together.

#5 MrPrezident

MrPrezident

C3U Moderator

• 895 posts

Posted March 10, 2018 - 02:34 AM

As usual and always, you are my hero. This is so simple, I just had no idea how to do it. Problems solved! Headaches gone! But now I feel like all my previous releases ever were imperfect  :crying:

Tell me about it.  I didn't even know this was a thing until like my 30th custom.  I am sure as I go back over my 'oldies' I'll have to fix a few of them like this.    I used to refer to these songs as having 'Bryan Adams Syndrome'.  But it turns out that it's like 1 in 10 customs need this, it's no joke.

p89ZznR.png KhDyqmU.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users