What's more important - guitar/bass consistency? or in-chart correct 'movement'?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 148 posts

Posted February 17, 2018 - 11:02 AM

Alright so here's my situation.

I'm charting a song, it has a riff and the instruments play around it.

I've charted the guitar - almost everything the guitar adds is 'above' the riff - higher - so I've charted the riff to the lower frets. It made sense.

Now I'm charting the bass. Naturally I've copied the riff from the guitar (it's identical), so you would play it in the same way - much like you would do on the actual instruments. But the bass does the opposite - almost everything it adds is 'below' the riff. So having the riff on the lower frets makes no sense there, and makes the rest of the chart problematic (I chart lower licks to the higher frets).

The obvious solution is to move up the riff on the bass, but it just seems weird to have the exact same riff played in two different ways.

So what's the preference here? Do I keep the guitar/bass charts consistent with each other (at the cost of not accurate charting), or do I make each chart as good as I can on it's own, even though they don't make sense together?

Thanks.

#2 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 574 posts

Posted February 17, 2018 - 11:18 AM

Obviously it would be nice to have our cake and eat it, too, but if you have to make a hard choice, I vote for movement.

After all, when you've got 5 buttons representing 6 guitar strings or 4 bass strings, what sells the experience is the "feel" of what you're playing. For me, that has to do with playing higher notes further down the fret board and lower notes further up, especially in relation to the notes that follow immediately before or after the current note.

I had this same issue recently with MoneyGrabber's bass part, which is all over the place. To preserve the fluidity, I had to shift the patterns one button up or down on the fret board during the song to allow for that movement.

#1 Ranked Wii Customs Player... because it's the Wii
"Like a madman laughin' at the rain" - Custom song releases
Freelancers wanted! - Works-in-progress
"One-Trick Pony" - Details of my contributions in the database!
In-Depth Eclectic Suggestions - Let's collaborate!
Packing Like a Pro - The Guide for a Legit Wii Library
Last.fm Profile - Let's be snobs together.

#3 Farottone

Farottone

The Lean Mean Customs Charting Machine

• Administrator
  • 6,350 posts

Posted February 17, 2018 - 12:53 PM

There is no choice here, you can't arbitrarily author lower notes on higher buttons. ;) Wrapping is fine of course, but this is not it, this is about patterns and you need to account for motion all over your chart. Plus, unless guitar and bass play the same identical notes (very unlikely), the only relevant consistency here is between notes, not between instruments. Obviously if you can author the same riff on guitar and bass in the same way you should, but it doesn't apply in a situation where you can't because the melody is different between those instruments.

#4 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 148 posts

Posted February 20, 2018 - 11:50 AM

Alright thanks. Another quick question: how do people make those pictures? like this:

kFnl52c.jpg

Seems like there's a pic generator somewhere, but I can't find it anywhere.

#5 Farottone

Farottone

The Lean Mean Customs Charting Machine

• Administrator
  • 6,350 posts

Posted February 20, 2018 - 12:12 PM

C3 CON Tools, Visualizer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users