Yaniv's WIP Thread

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 198 posts

Posted February 9, 2018 - 10:56 AM

About time I'll have a thread like this :)

As always I’m open to collaborations! If you like on of the songs on the list and would like to work together, send me a PM. I’ll gladly bump a song on the priority queue if I know I’m not working alone. And thanks to everyone already working with me!

Here goes! It’s split to 5 different categories:

WIP (Full band and Drums) – songs I actually made progress on.

FULL BAND PLANS – songs I wants to turn into a full band custom. Those are higher priorities for the near future. I know it's a lot, but honestly I just work on whatever I feel like, so I can't really predict which ones will come eariler. If you want to collab on any of these, hit me up - you can be sure your choices of collab will be done first :)

Some of the songs are already in the DB as drum only.

Lower priority – Might happen in the further future. 

FULL BAND RELEASED – work done. List keeps growing  :)

...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead - Relative Ways

Arcade Fire - Intervention

Arcade Fire - In the Backseat

Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels). Collab with egead

Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #2 (Laika)

Big Star - September Gurls

Bruce Springsteen – The RiverCollab with bsbloom

Bruce Springsteen – Badlands. Collab with Spindoctor and MrBurpler.

Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town (YouTube)

Bruce Springsteen – Prove it All Night

Bruce Springsteen – Thunder Road - collab with ejthedj.

Camera Obscura - Lloyd, I'm Ready to be Heartbroken

Chris Bell - I Am the Cosmos

David Bowie - Breaking Glass

David Bowie - "Heroes"collab with ejthedj.

David Bowie – Lazarus

David Bowie - No Plan

David Bowie - The Stars (Are Out Tonight)

David Bowie – Sound and Vision. Collab with Grubextrapolate and Jimi369

David Bowie - Soul Love (custom by MrPrezident, I did drums)

Inspiral Carpets - This is How it Feels

Magazine - Shot By Both Sides

Manic Street Preachers - If You Tolerate This.

Manic Street Preachers - Yes

Neil Young - Everybody Knows This is Nowhere

Neil Young - Mellow My MindCollab with Mr Prezident

Neil Young - Revolution Blues

Neil Young - WinterlongCollab with Mr Prezident

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Henry Lee

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds – There She Goes, My Beautiful World

Pavement - Gold Soundz (YouTube)

Pavement - Unfair

PJ Harvey - Big Exit

PJ Harvey - C'mon Billy

PJ Harvey - Down by the Water

PJ Harvey - This Mess We're In

The Cure - A Night Like ThisCollab with grubextrapolate 
The Cure - Pictures of You. Collab with grubextrapolate 
The Cure - Push. Collab with grubextrapolate 

The National - The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness

That’s it for now, would love to hear responses!

Once again, if you want to collab on anything (or if you have midis I don’t have), hit me up :)

Yaniv's Workshop - including all my work (hopefully) neatly organized

Primavera Sound project: Day One, Day Two

Arcade Fire Project

WIP Thread

Hit me up if you wanna collab on any of those!

#2 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 623 posts

Posted February 9, 2018 - 06:22 PM

Proud of you, son. Looking forward to a good number of these.

#1 Ranked Wii Customs Player... because it's the Wii
"Like a madman laughin' at the rain" - My custom song releases
Freelancers wanted! - Works-in-progress
"One-Trick Pony" - Details of my contributions in the database!
In-Depth Eclectic Suggestions - Let's collaborate!

Vocals Charting Philosophy - Because sometimes less is more
Packing Like a Pro - The Guide for a Legit Wii Library
Last.fm Profile - Let's be snobs together.

#3 Dangus

Dangus
  • 374 posts

Posted February 9, 2018 - 07:41 PM

Those songs by The Cure and Bowie!! <3 :rock:

#4 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 198 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 10:20 AM

Added some new songs, notably Paul McCartney tunes.

Arcade Fire Project

WIP Thread

#5 Bansheeflyer

Bansheeflyer

• 1,350 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 01:14 AM

Careful with the Cure songs. I know there are others who might be charting songs from Disintegration, especially "Pictures of You".

Good list!

As a moderator I enforce the law...in moderation.

My Customs
My Works in Progress

#6 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 198 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 11:55 AM

Careful with the Cure songs. I know there are others who might be charting songs from Disintegration, especially "Pictures of You".

Good list!

Thanks! When I get around to working on those I'll ask around. I figured 'Pictures or You' is likely in the works somewhere.

Arcade Fire Project

WIP Thread

#7 MidnightRambler67

MidnightRambler67
  • 225 posts

Posted February 17, 2018 - 11:22 AM

wow   simple dumb pilot by Granddaddy  -  what a great song 

and the WIP on sound and vision  

some cracking songs and tough projects ahead 

Looking Good Chaps :)

#8 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 198 posts

Posted February 18, 2018 - 11:12 PM

wow   simple dumb pilot by Granddaddy  -  what a great song 

Yeah that's an ambitous choice, going to take a while before you see it in the DB, but hopefully it will get there :)

Arcade Fire Project

WIP Thread

#9 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 198 posts

Posted February 20, 2018 - 09:49 PM

Three full band songs released! And updated songs status.

Arcade Fire Project

WIP Thread

#10 Bajahobo

Bajahobo
  • 5 posts

Posted March 3, 2018 - 07:29 AM

Your choices are incredible. Super excited for This Must Be the Place, a full band Walk On, and the eventual Tenth Avenue Freeze out. On the Beach is such a great album too, love those drum charts.

And oh man Sound and Vision too? Fantastic.

#11 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 198 posts

Posted March 6, 2018 - 12:06 AM

I had a day off today so worked on a lot of stuff. I work on many songs at once because I find it drives me insane to work on one song for a long time. Post updated with today's progress.

Arcade Fire Project

WIP Thread

#12 DemonUnicorns

DemonUnicorns
  • 753 posts

Posted March 6, 2018 - 12:28 AM

I work on many songs at once because I find it drives me insane to work on one song for a long time.

A great tactic. Too many songs though and none will ever be completed  ;) .

#13 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 623 posts

Posted March 6, 2018 - 03:12 AM

A great tactic. Too many songs though and none will ever be completed  ;) .

Nothing irks me more than a WIP thread of 100+ songs that were never even begun, only "claimed" like some prize. Ugh.

As a relative newcomer to releasing my own songs, I find it much more productive to have just a couple (often literally) of songs in the chamber to work on because it keeps me focused and increases the likelihood of actually releasing something in a somewhat timely fashion. Some songs in my WIP thread are currently in development hell, but that's because I can't do anything more with them all by myself. That's when I default to working on something else... otherwise, I pour all I've got into one thing at a time. To each his own, I suppose, so long as the quality releases keep coming from everybody.

#14 DemonUnicorns

DemonUnicorns
  • 753 posts

Posted March 6, 2018 - 04:13 AM

Nothing irks me more than a WIP thread of 100+ songs that were never even begun, only "claimed" like some prize. Ugh.

As a relative newcomer to releasing my own songs, I find it much more productive to have just a couple (often literally) of songs in the chamber to work on because it keeps me focused and increases the likelihood of actually releasing something in a somewhat timely fashion. Some songs in my WIP thread are currently in development hell, but that's because I can't do anything more with them all by myself. That's when I default to working on something else... otherwise, I pour all I've got into one thing at a time. To each his own, I suppose, so long as the quality releases keep coming from everybody.

Yeah exactly. But once a song has been in a "WIP" thread for over a year, it's either A, a really long and intricate song, or B, you have too many songs in your WIP thread. Otherwise I really don't see any reason why a song could be a WIP for over a year. I would think a week is a basic time frame for completing one song (on average, give or take of course). 

>Hey! You did this song that was in my WIP thread!

>Oh, my bad! What have you charted so far?

>Well nothing, but I was planning on getting to it!

#15 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,827 posts

Posted March 6, 2018 - 04:20 AM

Yeah exactly. But once a song has been in a "WIP" thread for over a year, it's either A, a really long and intricate song, or B, you have too many songs in your WIP thread. Otherwise I really don't see any reason why a song could be a WIP for over a year. I would think a week is a basic time frame for completing one song (on average, give or take of course). 

>Hey! You did this song that was in my WIP thread!

>Oh, my bad! What have you charted so far?

>Well nothing, but I was planning on getting to it!

Having something in your WIP should indicate you are in progress not just thinking about it. I don't add anything that doesn't have at least a tempo map. If you find something in someone else's list you should at least attempt to communicate with them about collab or a status update.

#16 DemonUnicorns

DemonUnicorns
  • 753 posts

Posted March 6, 2018 - 04:34 AM

Having something in your WIP should indicate you are in progress not just thinking about it.

Yes, that would indicate that it is in progress. That unfortunately isn't the standard for some to put something on their WIP. Like you, I list something as a WIP if I have at least a tempo map down for it.

#17 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 198 posts

Posted March 6, 2018 - 08:23 AM

I agree, that's why I have a clear distinction between WIP and plans. I have many plans, but I don't see those songs as "claimed". If somebody wants to chart them, they're more than welcome. Just let me know and I'll remove it from my list.

I do see value in those long "plans" list though. It helps find people to collaborate with. This way I can tell if someone is interested in an artist/genre and contact him to collaborate.

If there's anything I think we're missing, is a good interface to find collaborators. Like a second database, but of WIP songs with their status. So if you want to start a song, you can easily look it to and see what work has been done and by whom. And if you're looking for collaboration, you can look up similar songs/artists and see who's been interested in charting them.

Arcade Fire Project

WIP Thread

#18 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 623 posts

Posted March 6, 2018 - 10:39 PM

I agree, that's why I have a clear distinction between WIP and plans. I have many plans, but I don't see those songs as "claimed". If somebody wants to chart them, they're more than welcome. Just let me know and I'll remove it from my list.

Wasn't aimed at you, my friend. Sorry if that was the implication. I know we're in your WIP thread 'n' all. Sorry!

I do see value in those long "plans" list though. It helps find people to collaborate with. This way I can tell if someone is interested in an artist/genre and contact him to collaborate.

If there's anything I think we're missing, is a good interface to find collaborators. Like a second database, but of WIP songs with their status. So if you want to start a song, you can easily look it to and see what work has been done and by whom. And if you're looking for collaboration, you can look up similar songs/artists and see who's been interested in charting them.

Abso-god-damn-lutely. A system like that would be fantastic. I'm always sending out feelers to authors for collaborations, usually with success (oh hi, Whizzer and DenVaktare), but sometimes you just don't know who likes what until well after the fact. For example, I didn't know DenVaktare was a Fratellis fan until he posted a song by them in the database. Well, shit. Had I known that, I'm sure we'd have been working together long ago!

As another example, I really want to get Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner and Desperadoes Under the Eaves, both by Warren Zevon, made, but I am unsure who to approach about it, so they aren't in my WIP thread yet. It might end up as another in my countless projects involving "drums by Whizzer" and "guitar by DenVaktare" (fingers crossed, boys!), but I hate having to bother them when there might be others out there who genuinely love those songs as much as me. Plus, the main problem is those pro keys are absolutely required. And I'm not sure who I'd approach about that... but Prez has taught me that YouTube usually has something to steal :)

#19 grubextrapolate

grubextrapolate
  • 64 posts

Posted March 10, 2018 - 03:08 PM

I too love the idea of a place to find collaborators. I've long been considering giving charting a shot, but it took Yaniv posting his drums-only Sound and Vision custom and saying he was looking for collaborators to turn it into full band to get me to give it a shot.

Yaniv, happy to work on more together, especially if you start charting that Cure stuff. Spent a couple years playing bass in a Cure cover band, so a lot of the older stuff I know pretty well. I'd love to get some more wacky stuff like Object or Plastic Passion out there too...

#20 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 198 posts

Posted March 10, 2018 - 03:12 PM

I too love the idea of a place to find collaborators. I've long been considering giving charting a shot, but it took Yaniv posting his drums-only Sound and Vision custom and saying he was looking for collaborators to turn it into full band to get me to give it a shot.

Yaniv, happy to work on more together, especially if you start charting that Cure stuff. Spent a couple years playing bass in a Cure cover band, so a lot of the older stuff I know pretty well. I'd love to get some more wacky stuff like Object or Plastic Passion out there too...

I'll PM you :)

Arcade Fire Project

WIP Thread

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users