Count-in for time signature other than 4/4?

count-in time signature time signature count in advice 4/4 3/4

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Blahaszi

Blahaszi
  • 16 posts

Posted January 26, 2018 - 08:19 PM

Pretty much what the title says. Any advice for how to count-in in a time signature other than 4/4. Is there a rule for count-ins in other time signatures like there is in 4/4, or should I just do what feels right? Specifically, the one that I need is 3/4.

#2 Alternity

Alternity
  • 685 posts

Posted January 26, 2018 - 08:22 PM

For 3/4 I'd do a hit on each beat for 2 measures (6 hits) but the first beat of each measure should be louder.

#3 Blahaszi

Blahaszi
  • 16 posts

Posted January 26, 2018 - 08:31 PM

That's a good idea. I was going to do 6 beats, but I didn't think to make the downbeats louder. Thanks!

#4 Gigakoops

Gigakoops

Resident Movie Nerd

• 1,091 posts

Posted January 26, 2018 - 09:45 PM

For time signatures over 8 (for example, 7/8, 11/8, etc.) I'd say do something similar to the above statement, spacing each hit 1/4th, except for when the next measure starts, so it sort of has a "TA ta ta taTA ta ta ta" sort of feel to it (if you know what I'm saying; I'm kinda tired and it's hard to English right now :P

#5 Alternity

Alternity
  • 685 posts

Posted January 26, 2018 - 10:13 PM

For odd time signatures I usually tend to use 2 or 4 measures for count-ins depending on speed and time signature, and for the first half I will only put loud hits at the rhythm beat that makes sens for the song, and on the other half I will fill with 8ths of lower hits. Will do the same for /16 time signatures as well. I don't know if it's liked but I prefer this appproach.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: count-in, time, signature, time signature, count, in, advice, 4/4, 3/4

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users