"What a beautiful tattoo that young man had on his face..." Mr. Tillman by Father John Misty (10/25/18)

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 629 posts

Posted March 12, 2018 - 04:06 AM

"Roses are red, the sky is blue

I got my barrel at 'cha neck so what the fuck you gonna do?"

Have you ever wanted to adopt the persona of a complete bad-ass? So did the Beastie Boys. Now you can pretend to pretend to be a bad-ass, just like Adam, Mike, and Adam! Fake it to make it, I always say.

SKaKuTS.jpg

Click here to go to the database entry.

This Rock Band 3 custom song, 3-Minute Rule by the Beastie Boys, is my seventh custom and the first song from these hip-hop icons' absolute best album, 1989's hip-hop masterpiece Paul's Boutique. If you disagree with my assessment, you're wrong.

5j8vb8nse421r56bkixik10r1.jpg

And if you don't like it then hey fuck you.

My first proper experience with the Beastie Boys was listening to 1998's Hello Nasty at a party on the eve of the turn of the millennium. From there, my interest grew until I discovered Paul's Boutique and realized there was simply no way it could get any better than this. And as I explored their discography, I was proven right.

[Gameplay video courtesy of MrPrezident]

Features:
Fully custom venue from scratch
Unpitched vocal chart from scratch
White boy dryvox lip sync for all three raps
No vocal tonic note because rapping
Reductions for bass and drums (keys and pro keys are too simple to merit reductions)
Numeric ID for Wii leaderboards
Drums by Whizzer

Now don't get me wrong: I enjoy the Beastie Boys throughout their many metamorphoses. But as I grew into a bona fide hip-hop head, I realized there's no debating that their sophomore album isn't one of the ultimate hip-hop experiences. The lyrics are absurd, obscure references, hyperbolic lies and braggadocios claims, the samples are vast and varied, and every sound oozes swagger. I don't know how the Dust Brothers did it, but they clearly deserve a substantial portion of the credit for producing this now-legendary record. Without their input and guidance, I doubt Paul's Boutique would be half as impressive.

3-Minute Rule is unique for a Beastie Boys song. The vast majority of their catalogue features lyrics that bounce back and forth between the three emcees as they play off of each other. But not 3-Minute Rule. Here, each rapper takes a single turn at the microphone to spit some bars before retiring to the background. That's it. There's no hook. There's no chorus. There's no hype man. It's just an unapologetically simple song that showcases stripped-down hip-hop that gets back to the basics: no flash, no spectacle... only rhymes.

I chose this song because (1) I love it and (2) I thought it would be easy to tempo map. It wasn't. I kept putting tempo markers everywhere at ever-so-slightly incorrect BPMs but then I realized-- this song consists of a looped sample! If only I could determine the exact BPM down to the decimal places, I could set it and forget it... it took a bit of trial and error, but I found it, and bam!

Instrumentally, this song isn't anything to write home about. The drum chart, courtesy of Whizzer, is intense, representing a repeated sample lifted from a song called Feel Good by a band I've never heard of called Fancy. Neat? Either way, it's a workout.

The smooth, sexy bass part is simple enough, but if you get lazy and don't pay attention it will trip you up with its unpredictability. Don't be a dope.

Since there's no guitar at all featured in this song, I decided to jam into the keys slot whatever would fit appropriately. It ain't much, but it's something to do. Because it's so simple and sparse, I rated it at zero difficulty. If you have a suggestion on how to fill it out a bit more, hit me up. Until then, hey, at least it gives Mike D somewhere to stand on stage

"He should be sitting behind the drums! Some fan you are."

Technically, you're right. But let me talk about the venue for a moment...

Getting Mike D to lip sync from behind the drums was going to be too much work, bro. But don't worry! MCA is playing bass and Ad-Rock has the microphone in place of a guitar. To break it all down for you:

The first verse is performed by Mike D (the band's drummer) at the keyboard using the HARM2 slot.
The second verse is performed by MCA (the band's bassist) on the bass using the HARM3 slot.
The third verse is performed by Ad-Rock (the band's guitarist) on the microphone using the HARM1 slot.

This song also gave me the opportunity to utilize multiple post-processing effects. Typically I avoid using them just for the sake of using them, but it felt appropriate to jazz it up a bit with this song, so I went wild compared to my typical venues... which is to say I used more than two effects. Prepare yourself.

I'm not ashamed to admit I completely fudged some lyrics for this custom. Despite what lyrics websites claim, during the third verse, I do not hear this:

'Cause I'm running things like some mack motherfucker
You'll be slipping your slack in your face 'cause your a false fake sucker
You slipped your slack, you cock me and you're wack
While I'm reading On The Road by my man Jack Kerouac

Nor do I hear this:

'Cause I'm running things like some mack motherfucker
Your only claim to fame is you're a false fake sucker
You slip you slack, you clock me you lack

So I made up the following because I was the dude having to rap it into a microphone for dryvox:

'Cause I'm runnin' things like some mack motherfuck
And you'll be slippin' an' slapped in the face 'cause you're a false fake sucker
You slit your slat, you plot me a new lack

I realize the bolded portion makes little (or no) sense, but it's my best guestimation. If you have a better idea of what the hell Ad-Rock is saying here, I'm all ears... if I agree with what you're hearing, of course.

If you'd like to contribute improvements or animations or if you have suggestions for how I can do better, please contact me. Thanks for reading. Now go grab this custom.

Atruejedi

P.S. That final lyric is completely fudged as well, but it's cool, so shush. And here's a bonus gameplay video from Fat Ha1p3rt!

#1 Ranked Wii Customs Player... because it's the Wii
"Like a madman laughin' at the rain" - My custom song releases
Freelancers wanted! - Works-in-progress
"One-Trick Pony" - Details of my contributions in the database!
In-Depth Eclectic Suggestions - Let's collaborate!

Vocals Charting Philosophy - Because sometimes less is more
Packing Like a Pro - The Guide for a Legit Wii Library
Last.fm Profile - Let's be snobs together.

#22 MrPrezident

MrPrezident

C3U Moderator

• 909 posts

Posted March 12, 2018 - 04:13 AM

giphy.gif

FORUM THREAD  /  MY CUSTOMS -  Everything from ABBA to XTC

p89ZznR.png KhDyqmU.png

#23 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,842 posts

Posted March 12, 2018 - 05:06 AM

world's greatest blurb writer  :wth:  :wth:

#24 samjjones

samjjones
  • 1,463 posts
    NJ: The Home of Sinatra, Springsteen, and Bon Jovi

Posted March 12, 2018 - 01:13 PM

I'm going to be a little intimidated to sing this one, but I'm a 42 year old white guy, so it should be all good.

Thanks much for sharing it!

#25 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 629 posts

Posted March 12, 2018 - 09:08 PM

Thanks to all for the comments :)

I'm going to be a little intimidated to sing this one, but I'm a 42 year old white guy, so it should be all good.

Thanks much for sharing it!

My pleasure! This one was a labor of love... I figured very few would be familiar with it, but once they heard it they'd really dig it. There are a few more gems from Paul's Boutique I'd be interested in getting out there (High Plains Drifter, for example), but I'd need collaborators. Speaking of... big thanks to Whizzer for doing the drums chart, which is absolutely the most interesting and busy instrument.

If you fancy yourself a rapping white boy, I have a Roots song coming out very soon with a racial slur, so prepare thyself for that one, too :)

Am I a racist for doing the dryvox? :ohdear: :v:

#26 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 629 posts

Posted March 13, 2018 - 02:46 AM

"'Cause every insult is an injury when you put your black magic over me"

If you're not yet under the spell of Band of Skulls, you must be cursed. It's time to erase that innocence.

Qu5xpT6.jpg

This Rock Band 3 custom song, Black Magic by Band of Skulls, is my eighth release and the second custom available in the database of a song by British band mates Russell and Emma. I picked this song because it rocks. Hard. I have faith hearing this tune has a significant chance of making you into a fan. I fully expect you to thank me later. :cool:

band-of-skulls-download.jpg

Just like the emoji above. I will never be this cool, and that makes me sad.

Band of Skulls has four albums now and I really, really enjoy literally every song on them, but some more than others, of course. Typically I'd expect a dud or two by now, or even a mediocre album, but it hasn't happened. I hope I'm not jinxing them, because they really are one of my absolute favorite bands, and you should anticipate more of them from me in the future. Oh, and they're fantastic live! Hit me up to collaborate, or check my suggestions thread to see what I want to get made!

[Gameplay video courtesy of MrPrezident; video not entirely reflective of custom venue work]

Features:

Vocal chart from scratch
Dryvox lip sync for both vocal parts
Vocal tonic note
Reductions for all instruments

Tempo map by MrPrezident

Guitar by mangolatango

Drums by Whizzer

This custom required another All-Star Team Up™. The tempo map was provided by MrPrezident as a part of his ongoing welfare program supporting my releases. Drums were provided by Whizzer, to whom I am ever-thankful for his continued interest in the songs I choose. And entering into my customs fray for the first time (but not the last!) is mangolatango, who did a great job with the bad-ass guitar chart! Just wait 'til you see his work on my upcoming (spoilers!) Roots release... yowza! I've seen mango release many, many songs into the database that are guitar-only charts, which don't seem to get much attention, unfortunately, but he's definitely a talented author. I hope to collaborate with him again (and often!) in the future. I just have to keep selecting gems from my crate everybody will enjoy... and I have great faith in myself on that front, actually. :D

The bass part and vocals are from me. The bass line isn't quite as bad-ass as the guitar part, but I charted it entirely separately from mango and it pleased me to see our gems all synced up without any alterations. I guess I'm doing something right!

The harmony on this song is a real treat for me. I've been obsessed with Band of Skulls since I heard their first album right before their sophomore effort was released. My day was made when I Know What I Am was released on the Rock Band Network (and for the Wii, thank goodness!) and made for a second time when I got to work with TomGuy to make Sweet Sour into a full-band experience. While I'm nowhere near as tall as the beautiful bassist Emma (she's not pretty, but she's got it goin' on), I'll be singing her harmony with my plastic band any time I release a song featuring her haunting, angelic voice. And if you pay attention, her lip sync will always be assigned to the bassist... :)

If you'd like to contribute improvements or animations or if you have suggestions for how I can do better, please contact me. See you soon with a jam from a hip-hop band with no representation in the database!

Atruejedi

#27 DenVaktare

DenVaktare
  • 222 posts

Posted March 16, 2018 - 11:04 PM

world's greatest blurb writer  :wth:  :wth:

Yeah, a definite understatement. The force is ridiculously strong with this one! I swear I enjoy his blurbs as much as the content itself and it's insane that both are of the same quality! Thanks very much to all guest authors as well!  :D

#28 Funk Meister Freud

Funk Meister Freud
  • 914 posts

Posted March 16, 2018 - 11:24 PM

Yup, wasn't aware of these guys...but this Black Skulls number you did, definitley cast some kind'a voodoo hoodo juju on me!

Great stuff, thanks for the recommendation! (and your energy put into making it as well as sharing it) Nice job! :D  :rock:

If I appear to be a little "off center", pay it no mind.

It's just my nogrognophobia kicking in.................

I have this morbidly unreasonable fear that the rum's run out! :D

#29 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 629 posts

Posted March 20, 2018 - 02:36 AM

"Now who can stop the music runnin' through these veins?

Infinitely go against the grain"

Sure, they're The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon's house band, but in the '90s the Roots weren't a household name. But the seed (2.0) of their success was planted decades ago when they realized what not to do in the face of or for said success. Essaywhuman?!!!??! Put simply: keep it true.

M3yeWwp.jpg

This Rock Band 3 custom song, What They Do by The Roots, is my ninth custom and the first song by the Fifth Dynasty crew to hit the database. I've already documented my admiration for the group in my suggestions thread, so I won't repeat those bars here. I don't want to be accused of saying nothin' new, nothin' new.

frvbfj5p6zsijlw3byok.jpg

Hard.

This song belongs to one of my favorite subgenres of songs: music about what's wrong with music. I'm a hip-hop snob and, generally speaking, I hate what everyone is listening to because it isn't as good as what I'm listening to. Pretentious? Sure. Accurate? Frequently. But this song is 22 years old, and by now people should know it. It's stood the test of time, proved its relevancy, and deserves your attention, at least for one spin.

[Gameplay video courtesy of MrPrezident]

Features:
Vocal chart from scratch

Reversed fade-out
Dryvox lip sync for all three vocal parts
Vocal tonic note

Guitar by mangolatango

Drums by tonedef

This custom came together completely unexpected and surprisingly quickly. Forum-newcomer tonedef made an introductory post showcasing his drums-only customs featuring the Roots and my jaw dropped; they've been in my suggestions thread since July!  :haw:  ...but nobody ever seemed to care.  :(  tonedef probably never perused my stupidly long wishlist (or even knew it existed), so I reached out to him about collaborating on What They Do, The Obvious Choicefrom my Roots entry. The next day he sent me the completed drums chart. I warned him that it might be a while before this song was released... but it was finished in a matter of mere days, thanks to the dedication of my fantastically talented cohorts... and the fact that I only had to pitch vocals for a single repeating chorus! I added the bass and vocal parts and asked mangolatango if he'd handle the sexy, slick guitar part, and handle it he did. Unfortunately, this song is still missing any material in the keys and pro keys slots, but I'll certainly update the song with those additions if anybody wants to tackle them!

If you'd like to contribute improvements or animations or if you have suggestions for how I can do better, please contact me. Thanks for reading. Do You Want More?!!!??!

Atruejedi

#30 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 629 posts

Posted March 20, 2018 - 02:49 AM

"I scratch a living, it ain't easy, you know it's a drag..."

I'm always impressed when a band produces a modern, radio-friendly sound coupled with substantive lyrics. For me, Hard-Fi is the epitome of that increasingly rare combination of qualities, riding the thin line between accessible and artistic, meaningful and melodic. I guess I shouldn't be surprised; songwriter Richard Archer was inspired by and now good friends with Mick Jones of The Clash, who had the same message a quarter century earlier with just as infectious of a sound. Getting them together? Now that would be a supergroup...

2hUqo4Q.jpg

This Rock Band 3 custom song, Cash Machine by Hard-Fi, is my tenth release and, somehow, the first custom by Archer's outfit to enter the database. I'm honestly shocked nobody released this as a custom song before now... but I'm very honored to have brought it to life with the help of the usual suspects.

PM1665902.png

So wait... which one is the frontman again?

For personal reasons, Hard-Fi is special to me. My best friend from high school died in 2011, around the time the band's Killer Sounds album was released. It was summer, the weather was lovely, and I decided to take a leisurely walk on my usual route. I put a digital copy of the album on my phone and off I went. As I was walking past his childhood home, the final song on that album, the title track graced my ears for the first time. While the lyrics aren't precisely reflective of the real-life situation, the words "My best friend died tonight... didn't make sixteen" hit me hard as I looked at that old blue house off to my left. I wept as I walked along the highway and it's one of the damnedest coincidences I've ever experienced. Hmph.

[Gameplay video courtesy of MrPrezident; video not entirely reflective of custom venue work]

Features:
Vocal chart from scratch
Vocal tonic note
Tempo map by MrPrezident
Guitar by RyanHYK
Keys and pro keys by RyanHYK
Drums by Whizzer

Anyway! On to happier topics. My first memory of hearing Hard-Fi came in December of 2006, when Best of Bootie '06 was released. If you're unfamiliar with the series (which is ongoing), each edition is a curated album-length mix of some of the best mash-ups of the year. The mash-up in question also featured the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Flying Lizards, Abba and Jay-Z. Intrigued? Here, have a listen:

Oh, and DMX. WHAT!?!

I found the damn introduction so damn catchy that I tracked down the damn source, which was Cash Machine. Upon hearing it, I wanted to hear more, more, more, and the rest is history... but if it isn't obvious by now, Hard-Fi is now one of my favorite bands of all time. I still regularly check to see what Richard Archer is up to... but no new material has appeared on my radar. Alas.

Now, to the custom itself... Whizzer contributed the drum chart and it is par excellence, which should be expected from the man by this point. He spoils me.

RyanHYK, who donated drums to my custom of Runaway Train, returns to the fold here with a bad-ass guitar chart... and if you didn't think he was multi-talented by now, at the final hour he also sent me a keys and pro keys chart! So, at this point, the song is essentially a full-blown collaboration with the fellow. Big thanks to him and Whizzer for making this custom possible.

If you'd like to contribute improvements or animations or if you have suggestions for how I can do better, please contact me. Keep cool.

Atruejedi

#31 rezavakili

rezavakili
  • 413 posts

Posted March 21, 2018 - 02:16 PM

I had a blast playing The Roots song, great job. More Roots please. Thanks.

#32 tonedef

tonedef
  • 12 posts

Posted March 26, 2018 - 10:42 AM

[SHAMELESS PLUG]

Few (drum-only) Roots tracks in my WIP thread.

[/SHAMELESS PLUG]

#33 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 629 posts

Posted April 2, 2018 - 04:21 AM

"Somethin' good comes with the bad; a song's never just sad. There's hope..."

I'll admit I'm unwittingly sexist when it comes to my musical tastes. For whatever reason, the vast majority of songs I listen to are sung by men. Glancing over my top 50 scrobbled artists of all time on last.fm, they're all dudes except Band of Skulls, Mother Mother, Fitz and the Tantrums, the Zutons, and Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros. And each of those bands has a chick singing with a dude, not exclusively. Yet those are (obviously and statistically) some of my favorite bands, and First Aid Kit is rapidly climbing the ranks to join them. I'm making a personal breakthrough here, people! Misogyny, I bid thee adieu!

0Z0AJzh.jpg

This Rock Band 3 custom song, My Silver Lining by First Aid Kit, is my eleventh release and the first custom by the Swedish sisters available in the database. I've been obsessed with them lately, especially their fourth album (just released in January), but this is the song that sparked my fascination.

First_Aid_Kit_3046850b.jpg

Marry me. Yes, both of you.

These ladies were added to my suggestions thread in July and My Silver Lining was the Obvious Choice™... obviously. But how this actually turned into a custom is a bit more interesting... but first, check out the video!

[Gameplay video courtesy of Fat Ha1p3rt; video not entirely reflective of custom venue work]

Features:
Vocal chart from scratch
Vocal tonic note
Guitar by DenVaktare
Drums by Chainsaw Octopus

See that final note there? "Drums by Chainsaw Octopus?" Well, back when I first began frequenting these forums and after I finally got customs working on my Wii, I downloaded a custom of The Heavy's Short Change Hero from the database. I left the author this comment:

This is awesome. Great work! I hope someday it has harmonies during the refrain! Keyboards would be cool too :D

Edit: Okay, after playing this many times, now, and having known the song before it was released with Borderlands 2 (hipster here :) ) and listening to it countless times in surround sound, in my car, and with headphones, I am 99% sure that the vocals charts are wrong.

I think you've got the harmony charted as the melody during the refrain, and since the "real" melody therefore isn't present at all, it's really causing an issue for singers when I play with friends. I was reluctant to point this out in my initial thank-you post because we were all drinking and it was our first time playing it, but now I'm almost positive something is up. But I hate to be the odd man out, so can anybody confirm or disconfirm this? I'd appreciate being called right or crazy!

If you are going to be updating this eventually, I'd be more than willing to help sort out the right notes for this song. It's so deserving of a perfect chart!

A month later, I got a message in my inbox from the author, Chainsaw Octopus:

Hey man, I just saw your message while I was updating the links to my customs. I can send over my Reaper file if you'd like to tinker with it and fix up the vocals. I am self admittedly not great at charting vocals, so it would not surprise me if they are totally off.

To which I said...

Hey dude. Sure! I have ZERO experience with creating customs, but this would be a good excuse to learn :)

To make a long story slightly less long, I told him what notes should go where and he fixed up the song. When he updated it in the database and I got to play the improved version, I posted the new comment:

I'd like to give a big thank-you to Chainsaw Octopus for "collaborating" with me, if you want to call it that! I just figured out the notes themselves... he did the actual work of implementing my changes into the song! Hopefully the beginning of a beautiful partnership :)

I hoped right.

Chainsaw Octopus disappeared from the scene for a while shortly after our interaction and, in his absence, I spread my wings and learned how to directly input my vocal chart improvements into Reaper. When he returned, we reconnected and I mentioned how he and I should indeed have a genuine collaboration. Well, here we are.

Since Short Change Hero was the featured tune in Borderlands 2, I thought Chainsaw Octopus might be interested in collaborating on My Silver Lining, featured in the wonderful adventure game Tales from the Borderlands. I've loved the song since I first heard it while the credits rolled and figured he would dig it, too. E'yup. In fact, every song that game licensed is delightful and I wouldn't mind having them all in Rock Band at some point. But that's an adventure for later!

He sent me a drum chart for the song and I put together the bass and vocals pretty rapidly, but never have I spent so much time revising and revising a bass part before. I just kept hearing it... differently. Finally, I let the force flow through me and just felt the bass part. I've played it a few times now and it's delightful. I just hope it's accurate!

The vocals are a real nightmare, by the way. Two full octaves of singing. If anybody can pull this off, I'd love to hear it. I sound awful on this one. :D

I really wanted to try to get something appropriate for the keys slot. I found this and thought the left-hand part would fit nicely, even if it's temporary. I should point out that this is a ghost part. It sounds fantastic on a real keyboard, but with non-pro keys it's nothing special. If you have something better to chart to keys, contact me.

The guitar part is courtesy of none other than DenVaktare. He sent me two versions of the chart and I chose the second option. Why? Well, to quote myself:

Both of these are beautiful nightmares. I think I will go with B, because I do value playability... the song is hard enough as it is! And this is gonna slaughter me either way.

And it's at that point that I noticed, somehow, every guitar part I recruit him to chart is a hammer-on hellscape. Seriously! And he isn't just making everything hammer-ons for the hell of it! It's the nature of the songs! It's such a strange coincidence. But this only gives him incentive to chart more guitar parts for me... to prove he's versatile! :D

If you'd like to contribute improvements or animations or if you have suggestions for how I can do better, please contact me. Now get along, lil' doggy!

Atruejedi

#34 drummerockband

drummerockband

I Charted Tegan and Sara and All I Got Was This Crappy Title

• 774 posts

Posted April 2, 2018 - 12:20 PM

Woah, did not expect to see First Aid Kit make it to Rock Band. And from their best album of all things! Thanks so much for this can't wait to play it!

#35 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 629 posts

Posted April 2, 2018 - 09:06 PM

"You pour me pond water and I sip it like champagne"

Everybody knows Lump. Everybody knows Peaches. But the Presidents of the United States of America have many more songs clever and catchy and cute enough to get caught in your ear.

1zfrGrm.jpg

This Rock Band 3 custom song, So Lo So Hi by The Presidents of the United States of America, is my twelfth release and one of the all-too-few PUSA customs available in the database. Hopefully this custom'll spark some interest and get some more made by the iconic executives.

PUSA-1479328346-640x425.jpg

Presidents Ballew, McKeag, and Finn.

I've already documented my love of the Presidents in my suggestions post, so I won't stuff that down your ballot box again. However, I'll again mention that my objective was to get made songs that were underappreciated, obscure, or unknown. Well, pull that lever; here comes the dark horse candidate.

[Gameplay video courtesy of Fat Ha1p3rt]

Features:
Vocal chart from scratch
Vocal tonic note
Reductions for guitar, bass and drums (keys and pro keys are too simple to merit reductions)

Guitar by DenVaktare

Drums by Whizzer

Horse? Sorry, I meant fish. And bird. You can understand my confusion when so many PUSA songs are about animals... kitties, boll weevils, frogs, ladybugs, butterflies, turtles, flies, spiders, fleas, mites, rivers of monkeys and cities of bugs. Forgive me!

I will always vote to see more songs by the Presidents in my Rock Band library. They're one of my favorite bands and severely underrated. Thankfully, Harmonix gave them some love with a song on the Rock Band 2 disc and a fantastic three pack featuring my favorite PUSA song, Ladybug. When GreenPanda12 released Boll Weevil, I was ecstatic. But there are still so many worthy candidates! I honestly expected the self-titled debut to be completely charted by this point. Alas... maybe in four more years.

Me, personally? I didn't have any actual plans to release a PUSA song so soon, but when DenVaktare dropped a surprise Reaper file into my inbox last week featuring a completed guitar chart for So Lo So Hi, I dove right in and squeezed out the bass chart and vocals. Whizzer supplied the varied and vicious drum chart that makes me wish I wasn't so damn uncoordinated, because damn, it looks fun.

The venue is pretty simple, but I tried to use post-processing effects to set the mood for a song about a fish and bird pursuing a difficult romance. I also tried to keep it light-hearted and fun, because it is. Two hard-rockin', delightful minutes await you.

The keyboard part is a mere 15 seconds long and so simple I only reduced it for easy difficulty. If you're going to play it, make sure you've got a microphone hooked up as well. Voxboardist? Keyvoxer? Take your pick. I also tried to allow for gold starring the part by having a unison overdrive opportunity with bass and guitar, whichever is present. So go ahead and farm an achievement with this tune if you wish.

I've also gotten better at implementing overdrive in general, but especially in relation to unisons. It should "sound" better now when you nail those chances. If I ever have to update an older release, I'll make sure to improve those overdrive tubes as well. It's the little things, after all. I want every custom I release to feel like official DLC. B)

If you'd like to contribute improvements or animations or if you have suggestions for how I can do better, please contact me. Now go an' rock that vote.

Atruejedi

#36 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 629 posts

Posted April 2, 2018 - 09:09 PM

"I gave an apple to my playground crush

She told me that the apple wasn't bad enough

Aw, shucks..."

Have you ever been so damn fascinated with something that you are constantly proselytizing to your friends about how wonderful said something is and how stupid said friends are for not loving it as much as you do? For me, that something is the band Mother Mother.

RcMbvGu.jpg

This Rock Band 3 custom song, Back in School by Mother Mother, is my thirteenth release and the fifth (!!!) custom by the Canadian creeps available in the database.

.jpg?f=default&$p$f=53ee086&w=994&$w=e1a

Is that Dexter Holland!?

Mother Mother wasn't added to my suggestions thread until January because, as I mentioned above, they miraculously have four other customs available in the database. At the risk of repeating myself: download them. They're all awesome and I want more, more, more. You will definitely be getting more Mother Mother customs from me in the future, god and collaborators willing. But to start us off, here's Back in School.

[Gameplay video courtesy of Fat Ha1p3rt]

Features:
Vocal chart from scratch
Vocal tonic note

Guitar by mangolatango

Drums by DenVaktare

Let me school you in how this project got made. Frequent collaborator DenVaktare was browsing my already-mentioned-always-incredible suggestions thread and Back in School caught his ear. Without consulting me, he whipped up a drum chart for the tune and dropped it into my inbox. I had a ton of other projects on my plate at the time and had no plans to make a Mother Mother custom anytime soon... but here it was. Well, what could I do!? Immediately drop everything to complete and release it, of course. Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

I thought mangolatango would be a good fit to author the guitar part and he did an A+ job of it. It is adequately bad-ass, which is what I expect from both the band and mango himself. Bass and vocals were by yours truly, and boy, those vocals...

This is the most elaborate dryvox session I've had to tackle thus far. Using the split option in Reaper, I copied and pasted snippets of my singing into three separate tracks until the thing was damn-near perfect. I'm extremely pleased with myself for how the lip sync turned out for this custom (especially because it only took me one recording take for each section!). I hope you enjoy it, too!

Shout-out to Farottone for his advice on how to handle the so-much-is-happening vocals. I knew Mother Mother's vocals would be elaborate and challenging, but I didn't anticipate this much complexity. Nonetheless, the job is finished and I'm quite satisfied! The melody is spot-on, and the harmonies should be pretty darned accurate, but I'll admit they might not be perfect... I couldn't find any live and/or acoustic versions of this track to help determine the notes of certain sections.

The venue is definitely a departure from my usual ventures... and it might be my personal favorite creation at this point in my customs creating career.. It's much more chaotic than I'm accustomed to making because, well, the song seemed to call for it. The beats-per-minute of the tempo map was 160, which made everybody move really quickly all the time. Because of that, I halved the tempo to 80 during the more mellow portions of the song. This seemed like a good compromise, and I would appreciate feedback of any sort.

Something could probably go in the keys slot, but I'm stumped as to what. I marked the custom as having no keys part because I really have no idea. I apologize if I'm incorrect and you feel deceived.

If you'd like to contribute improvements or animations or if you have suggestions for how I can do better, please contact me. Class dismissed.

Atruejedi

#37 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 629 posts

Posted April 2, 2018 - 09:29 PM

Thank you to everybody who bothers to read my exposition for each of these customs. I hope if you don't actually read the sizeable blurbs, you at least enjoy yourself while rocking out! Thank you for the continued support.

A big, big thank you to Fat Ha1p3rt for all the preview videos he's made me for today's releases. I honestly refuse to release finished songs until I have gameplay videos because I believe it increases the chance of people downloading and enjoying my customs. Plus, I put a lot of effort into the venues, and I want to show off :clint:

Yeah, a definite understatement. The force is ridiculously strong with this one! I swear I enjoy his blurbs as much as the content itself and it's insane that both are of the same quality! Thanks very much to all guest authors as well!  :D

Oh, you. :wub: It's the least I can do to show my appreciation for all my collaborators. I couldn't do this on my own! ...well, I could, but the product would feature terrible guitar and drum parts :D

Yup, wasn't aware of these guys...but this Black Skulls number you did, definitley cast some kind'a voodoo hoodo juju on me!

Great stuff, thanks for the recommendation! (and your energy put into making it as well as sharing it) Nice job! :D  :rock:

I hope you listen to more of their songs! I meant it when I said they don't have a bad song or a bad album. In fact... everything is at least good, more often great. Dive in!

I had a blast playing The Roots song, great job. More Roots please. Thanks.

Ask and you (coincidentally) shall receive. The Seed 2.0 is in the works! But don't expect it for a while... I have other songs in my WIP thread I need to release first!

Woah, did not expect to see First Aid Kit make it to Rock Band. And from their best album of all things! Thanks so much for this can't wait to play it!

As my post above said... if you can actually sing this well, I want video! :aaa:  Enjoy! :haw:

#38 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 629 posts

Posted April 29, 2018 - 11:58 PM

"We are now accepting callers for these beautiful pendant key chains..."

You know, sometimes you can have your cake and eat it, too...

i6XPla9.jpg

This Rock Band 3 custom song, Comfort Eagle by CAKE, is my fourteenth release and the sixth custom by John McCrea and Company available in the database. But the word “my” is a little misleading...

5119a2bf97be9.jpg

Instead of a new album, have this flower. It has a smaller carbon footprint.

Even though I am a huuuge fan of the band, CAKE was never featured in my suggestions thread because of the cornucopia of customs available by them in the database. Hell, I didn’t even know I’d be involved with this custom until it was virtually ready for release!

Features:
Vocal chart from scratch
Vibraslap
Vocal tonic note
Guitar by MrPrezident
Bass by MrPrezident
Drums by MrPrezident
Keys and pro keys by MrPrezident

I cannot stress how little I contributed to this custom (but I’ll sure try!). The guitar, bass, drums, keys, and pro keys parts were all sent to me intact by MrPrezident, along with nearly half of the vocals. I finished up the talkies, implemented the lyrics, added harmonies, and tweaked the bass part, but that’s it. Well, beyond the lip sync and the custom venue, of course. In essence, Prez did the baking and I applied the icing. It’s a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake… if the way is TEAMWORK.

Truth be told, it shocked me when Prez asked me to finish this one up and publish it in the database. I mean, seriously! The fellow did all the work, right?! Surely he desired the glory, and rightfully so! But, hm...

Maybe he saw my custom of Back in School by his Canadian countrymen Mother Mother and thought, "This Jedi fellow is an artist. I must have him direct my music video!" ...Yeah! That's the ticket. That's gotta be it. It couldn't be that he's released more customs than you can shake a bag of milk at and simply wanted to share the wealth a bit. No. He needed that custom venue from me. Well, I hope he's satisfied! I tried to make it adequately trippy while remaining light-hearted and bright. Comfort Eagle is a fun song and should be represented as such when you play it with your plastic band mates!

Even though this custom wasn’t my idea and, all things considered, I barely helped bring it to life, that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t consider releasing a song or two by CAKE in the future! As I told Prez, Jolene is probably my favorite CAKE song. And I’d be interested in working on You Part the Waters, Rock 'n' Roll Lifestyle, Wheels, and Love You Madly as well!

Oh, and what would a CAKE custom be without a sprinkling of vibraslap? Half-baked, I say! So I made sure to add a pinch of vibraslap into the recipe by using it for the count-in and the truncated ending. Hipster, hip, hooray!

4027063296_dc2b6cd1e1_b.jpg

*Dooonnnnggg*

If you'd like to contribute improvements or animations or if you have suggestions for how I can do better, please contact me. Now go forth and rock on completely with some brand new components.

Atruejedi

#39 MrPrezident

MrPrezident

C3U Moderator

• 909 posts

Posted April 30, 2018 - 02:51 AM

As I told Prez, Jolene is probably my favorite CAKE song. And I’d be interested in working on You Part the Waters, Rock 'n' Roll Lifestyle, Wheels, and Love You Madly as well!

You're very kind, but when I started this one I really hoped you would be the one to breathe the life into it and apply the finishing touches.  So thank YOU!   

Yes, I think Jolene should be next, I'll map that and send it over.

FORUM THREAD  /  MY CUSTOMS -  Everything from ABBA to XTC

p89ZznR.png KhDyqmU.png

#40 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 629 posts

Posted May 2, 2018 - 12:15 AM

I am required to change my song IDs from 1392100001, 1392100002, etc. (10 digits) to 649200001, 649200002, etc. (9 digits). Since that will be happening, I am posting here to request that if any of my fourteen customs released thus far needs additions/changes/fixes/tweaks, please let me know! Feedback makes me stronger.

Planned changes include reducing the number of vocal overdrive opportunities (divide phrases by 5... thanks, ws54!) and making overdrive for instruments better than it is (from serviceable to professional).

Oh, and I've gotta figure out how to wrap that Runaway Train bass line :argh:

So, sock it to me!

P.S. Anybody wanna adds pro keys to What They Do or Runaway Train? :wub:

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)