Old White Misery by The Soul Twist Anthem (8/18/19)

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#81 Whizzer

Whizzer
  • 384 posts

Posted April 21, 2019 - 10:17 PM

Always a pleasure to read your write-ups.

#82 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 741 posts

Posted May 5, 2019 - 03:32 PM

"Behold the magnetism between two dead ends..."

This may be a crazy concept, but much of the reason I listen to music is for the lyrics. I like stories. I like ideas. I like feelings. I like creativity stemming from the point of a pen. This entry's band and the featured song have those qualities in spades.

ZBQAgEX.jpg

Click here to go to the database entry.

This Rock Band 3 custom song, Things Happen by Dawes, is my thirty-fifth release and the first tune available featuring the folky rockers from Los Angeles, which greatly surprises me. I can understand Harmonix skipping out on Dawes, but you guys? Come on!

1358283943mn2a7311noahabrams_wide-c339bd

Layers, collars, and earth tones.

Dawes are in my suggestions thread, but this song wasn't there. One day I asked grubextrapolate if he had access to any MIDIs that could assist in making a full-band Dawes custom. He did a bit of poking around and found a MIDI for this here song. Now, I must point out that Things Happen is a great song, but it definitely wasn't on my list of songs I wanted to chart. The interesting part is... now that it's over, I'm so glad I did it! The bass is really enjoyable, the guitar is perfect for strumming and singing, the melody is simple and straight-forward, the harmonies are lovely, the keys are a relaxing chord-fest, and the drums are really unique! Check 'er out right here:

[gameplay video]

Features:
Fully custom venue from scratch
Vocal chart from scratch
Dryvox lip sync for both vocal parts
Vocal tonic note
Reductions for all instruments
Numeric ID for Wii leaderboards (Song ID 649200035)
Tempo map by grubextrapolate
Drums by Whizzer
Pro keys with assistance from Buster66

I've loved Dawes since I first heard A Little Bit of Everything. You really should listen to that. If you don't like it, you won't like Dawes. If you do like it, you'll become a fan of their other songs very quickly. That's what happened to me! I've heard just about every song they've ever written and I'd be happy to collab on a great number of them. While Things Happen isn't particularly challenging, it's the perfect warmup song for your band. It's gentle, relaxing, catchy, and has heart.

I've made it known that I don't feel particularly skilled at charting guitar and avoid it when I can. But because the MIDI did a good amount of the work for me, I decided I'd give it a whirl with this song. I was able to chart the guitar as a pitched melody and harmony, just like I'd pitch vocals. From there, I reduced it to five gems and voila, I did it! I charted a guitar all by myself! And it's pretty good! But I did have plenty of input from grubextrapolate, who always makes sure my stuff is up to snuff.

Bass is actually much more interesting than guitar for this song. There are a bunch of little variations in the overarching pattern, and it's enough to keep it fresh and prevent the player from getting bored or lazy.

Drums were done by the immensely talented Whizzer, and this drum part is something I thought he'd be interested in working on because, well, as a non-drummer, I only really notice drums when they are... different. And the middle drum section of this song definitely qualifies. It's not particularly difficult, but, well, just go watch the video. Whizzer even allowed me to mark that section as a solo! So yes, I released my first custom featuring a drum solo. Cool!

I charted the pro keys using the MIDI as a basis, but it was overwhelming and I had no idea if what I charted, which sounded good, was in any way accurate. I was fortunate enough to recruit Buster66 to look over the pro keys part for me. He made the necessary changes and got it into a presentable, playable state that I'm proud to include in this release. Thanks, Buster! I look forward to your future releases, and welcome to the authoring community! :)

Vocals are, of course, my favorite part of this song. For once in my god-forsaken charting career, they were actually really easy (all things considered!) to chart. This song absolutely has the lowest amount of vocal slides (for a song with pitched vocals) I've ever had to chart. It saved a ton of time, and it plays like a dream. And even though I know it's awesome and near-perfect, feedback is appreciated, of course. ;)

If you'd like to contribute improvements or animations or if you have suggestions for how I can do better, please contact me. Thanks for reading! Now let's bronze some baby shoes.

Atruejedi

#1 Ranked Wii Customs Player... because it's the Wii
"Like a madman laughin' at the rain" - My custom song releases
Freelancers wanted! - Works-in-progress
"One-Trick Pony" - Details of my contributions in the database!
In-Depth Eclectic Suggestions - Let's collaborate!

Vocals Charting Philosophy - Because sometimes less is more
Packing Like a Pro - The Guide for a Legit Wii Library
Last.fm Profile - Let's be snobs together.

#83 grubextrapolate

grubextrapolate
  • 96 posts

Posted May 5, 2019 - 09:16 PM

that tempo map was a bit of a bastard to do, but the exercise got me hooked on the tune, and it's now in my library. looking forward to playing that drum solo!

#84 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 741 posts

Posted May 19, 2019 - 11:02 PM

"Let me tell you 'bout your blood, bamboo kid..."

Hey, man. I listen to more than just glamorous indie rock 'n' roll. It's just most of the classics that we all know and love are already in the database. Inexplicably, this one wasn't. Now it is.

7csCsd7.jpg

This Rock Band 3 custom song, Straight to Hell by The Clash, is my thirty-sixth release and the first full-band custom with pitched vocals featuring the English punks available in the database. I'm surprised nobody completed this song before me, especially because Kloporte used it in his tempo mapping tutorial!

The-Clash.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen... The Beatles!

The Clash are already very well represented in Rock Band. In addition to the entire London Calling album, we've been given a number of singles and two tracks from Combat Rock. Because of this, I've had no reason to feature them in my suggestions thread. The release of this custom gives us a third track from Combat Rock, so expect to see a new album header in your library!

[gameplay video]

Features:
Vocal chart from scratch
Dryvox lip sync for the only vocal part
Vocal tonic note
Numeric ID for Wii leaderboards (Song ID 649200036)
Tempo map by Kloporte
Drums by Chainsaw Octopus
Pro bass by Whizzer

I assume a good amount of us here on the forums are fans of The Clash. I remember digging into their discography in my musically-formative early '20s when I wanted moar punk. I already liked Bad Religion, Green Day, The Offspring, NOFX... you name it. And I knew those bands liked The Clash. But all I knew were the songs the radio played by the band, and I liked all of those, so I figured I'd explore further.

Long story short, I fell in love. There's a framed poster of Paul smashing his bass right behind me, and I've only read two books about music in my life: one about David Bowie's life and one all about London Calling. I have a dope Clash shirt that I wear out probably too often. And the Harmonix tracks from London Calling are the most likely reason I bust out my Yahama and (try to) play pro keys.

But there ain't no pro keys in Straight to Hell. There's a tempo map, freshly made again by Kloporte, who I very much wanted to be involved in this project. It's his destiny! There are drums, courtesy of Chainsaw Octopus. They sound unique, but as you know, I'm no drummer. There's a fun lil' bass line made by me and converted into a pro bass part by Whizzer, and a guitar chart that is all over the place and was also made by me... and I think I handled it respectably. But I'm more than willing to hear feedback, so long as it isn't bitching about the length of a sustain. Go straight to hell, boy.

I was pretty pleased with the lip sync and the venue for this one. I tried to make it fit the mood of the song. I didn't want flash and spectacle. I wanted a somber and sober (figuratively) experience. This song is a gut punch, if you actually pay attention to the lyrics. People are assholes, and Joe Strummer is great at telling the stories of those assholes being assholes. The final verse of this song feels more timely than ever. The immigrants want to sing along. Let them.

If you'd like to contribute improvements or animations or if you have suggestions for how I can do better, please contact me. Thanks for reading! You've got asylum here, friend.

Atruejedi

#85 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 741 posts

Posted July 2, 2019 - 11:25 PM

"It's right there in front of me, too close to see..."

Happy Canada Day! I'm not Canadian! I like Canadian music! Below are two songs by one band! Both songs are from the same album! That album won a Juno Award! Let's get started! Continuing with the usual format!

These Rock Band 3 custom songs, We're All To Blame and There's No Solution, both by Sum 41, are my thirty-seventh and thirty-eighth releases and join a multitude of official DLC and custom songs available in the database. Both of the tracks are from their 2004 album Chuck, named after the United Nations peacekeeper whom the band credits with saving their lives during a visit to the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Fittingly, the album saw completed their transformation from somewhat self-interested punk music to self-aware and selfless heavy metal.

sum-41-band-members-pose-for-photo-in-lo
The classic line-up.

Their continued critical and commercial success led to divisions among band members about where to go next, both stylistically and substantially, and saw Dave Brownsound (above, and obvious), their fast and furious guitarist and guiding force toward The Metal, leave the band in 2006. His departure swung the pendulum to the opposite side of the stylistic spectrum and the band released two albums I refuse to acknowledge as true Sum 41. Dave ultimately rejoined the band in 2015 and their following album, Voices, was a welcome return-to-form, even if it regrettably lacks Stevo 32 on the drums. Fingers crossed that Steve leaves his burgeoning career in real estate and gets behind the kit once again!

Now, let's take a look at each song...

uNbxIkk.jpg

We're All To Blame was the first single from Chuck and the only song written after their harrowing experience in the Congo, directly inspired by those life-changing events. It alternates between fury and sorrow, anger and resignation. It features some of the most difficult instrument charts I've released and is sure to get your blood pumping.

[gameplay video]

Features:
Vocal chart from scratch
Dryvox lip sync for
all three vocal parts
Vocal tonic note
Numeric ID for Wii leaderboards (Song ID 64920003
7)

Guitar by grubextrapolate

Bass by Sweatr
Drums by Sweatr with Chainsaw Octopus

Special thanks to grubextrapolate and Chainsaw Octopus

This custom was originally in the database with guitar, bass, and drum charts by Sweatr, but the entire thing has been expanded, recharted, and improved upon in the past month. I laid down the vocals for this and No Solution years ago, and Canada Day was just the fire I needed lit under my ass to finally get the ball rolling toward full-band completion. This couldn't have been done without my compatriots, Canadian or otherwise!

I'll let the video above speak for itself, but I must give you the usual behind-the-scenes tidbits: grubextrapolate scrubbed away Sweatr's guitar and charted a worthy and blistering track from scratch. I made numerous tweaks to shape up the bass part. Chainsaw Octopus polished the drum chart into something furious yet playable. Oh, and don't forget that venue. Yowza. Even if you're focused on reading the lyrics of the perfectly charted vocals, you won't be able to avoid the spectacle in the background. I have no shame admitting I'm quite proud of it, so I hope you enjoy it! I couldn't blame you...

Haw. Okay, one down, one to go. Next!

RtBJlzO.jpg

There's No Solution is typical of the sounds coming from the revitalized punk movement inspired by opposition to the policies coming out of the United States during the George W. Bush era: compassion mixed with indifference, cynicism mixed with hope, fuck you competing with no fucks to give. Imperialistic wars might ravage nations and destroy lives, but they enhance the counter-culture. I'm not sure that's worth its price in blood and oil, though.

[gameplay video]

Features:
Vocal chart from scratch
Dryvox lip sync for
all three vocal parts
Vocal tonic note
8)

Guitar by Sweatr with grubextrapolate

Drums by Sweatr with Chainsaw Octopus

Special thanks to grubextrapolate and Chainsaw Octopus

Compared to We're All to Blame, this song is relaxing, but it still ain't no slouch. Grub greatly improved the guitar chart to capture all of the little details originally missing. He also helped me hear all the subtlety in the bass part that my ears completely missed. I originally had this charted as nearly all long sustains, but, thanks to Grub, it's infinitely more interesting now. Chainsaw stopped by and filled out the drum fills in particular. He also provided some nice, genuine animations to capture the controlled chaos in both of these customs.

I think I've successfully conned Chainsaw into collaborating with me on a pseudo-Sum-41 mega-mix featuring three connected songs from their debut LP. Stay tuned for that in the coming months!

If you'd like to contribute improvements or animations or if you have suggestions for how I can do better, please contact me. Thanks for reading!

Atruejedi

#86 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 741 posts

Posted July 3, 2019 - 01:43 AM

"I'M NOT THE ONE WITH THE MATCH, MAN!"

Have you ever found yourself loving a song you know isn't actually very good, but it's just so darned catchy that you can't help but love it? Guilty as charged, because you've caught me... red-handed.

2MpDSa2.jpg

This Rock Band 3 custom song, Red Hands by Walk Off The Earth, is my thirty-ninth release and the first (and probably last) custom by the band to hit the database. The tune debuted in rhythm gaming as a downloadable track for Guitar Hero Live, but, to my consistently dumb-founded surprise, nobody ever stepped up and adapted it for Rock Band 3 as a full-band experience. I figured I'd get these hands dirty and do the work myself when Capta1n_GuitarHero provided me with the guts of the Guitar Hero Live version. And if you want something done right... enlist a friend!

walk-off-the-earth-erin-blackwood-2015-b

All the ladies and mens know that everything is better with a fisheye lens.

What friend? Why, grubextrapolate, of course! He loves this song. He told me it's his favorite! I have incontrovertible evidence!

vSap3Xi.png

And even if the above image was doctored... I mean, look at all the love he put into adapting that drum chart from Guitar Hero Live to Rock Band!

[gameplay video]

Features:
Vocal chart from scratch
Dryvox lip sync for
all three vocal parts
Vocal tonic note
9)

Drums by grubextrapolate

Special thanks to grubextrapolate and Buster66

He also helped me with the guitar chart chords after I mangled the Guitar Hero Live chart into something suitable for Rock Band. Why would he do this? Because this song is his ringtone.

MDRujFT.png

Buster66 doesn't love this song as much, but he helped me out with the pro keys part, which he repeatedly pointed out is not actually a piano every time I called it a piano. Pretty sure that's code for loving the song.

The venue and lip sync turned out pretty darned well, and I think it fits the upbeat, cheery, brainless, nonsensical, purposely-open-to-interpretation-becauase-we're-lazy-but-we-got-lucky lyrics. I guess my point is: this song will be great for parties, but if you actually think it's a good song... you can do better, Grubby Baby.

If you'd like to contribute improvements or animations or if you have suggestions for how I can do better, please contact me. Thanks for reading! Now go make this song your phone's alarm.

Atruejedi

#87 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 741 posts

Posted July 3, 2019 - 02:21 AM

"The sign said you got to have a membership card to get inside!" :argh:

Most bands have no hits. Some bands of one hit. And a few bands have one hit so big it's still famous almost 50 years later... even if nobody can name any other song they released. All signs point to this epic single standing the test of time, remaining lyrically relevant for innumerable future generations.

XGd1Xfi.jpg

This Rock Band 3 custom song, Signs by Five Man Electrical Band, is my fortieth release and the oldest song I've published thus far, a distinction it is likely to hold for the duration of my authoring career. It's an absolute classic and I fully expect it to compete with Soul Asylum's Runaway Train as my most popular custom. Shame on you, Harmonix, for neglecting both bands! But here at C3, we reap the benefits of a vibrant community of team players... many of them just as Canadian as Five Man Electrical Band.

A-442725-1466793177-6948.jpeg.jpg

Sir, this marijuana dispensary requires a shirt and tie...

This custom came together very quickly as the capstone to our Canada Day customs releases. Once we got everything else nearly wrapped up, it was suggested that maybe, just maybe, we had enough time to crack this sucker out. It came down to the line, but we made it! But just who's we? The usual suspects.

[gameplay video featuring guitar and a bass part with no sustains... whoops]

Features:
Vocal chart from scratch
Dryvox lip sync for
all three vocal parts
Vocal tonic note
Numeric ID for Wii leaderboards (Song ID 6492000
40)

Tempo map by grubextrapolate

Drums by jksrb with grubextrapolate

Keys and pro keys by MrPrezident

I had planned on doing this song for a long time, but it took Canada Day to get the ball rolling. Long ago, with no release date on the radar, AJFOne23 had expressed interest in contributing a tempo map and drums... but before he ever did that, a guy named jksrb dropped a Reaper file into my inbox with a completed drum chart. A sign from above? Nope... he just saw it in my WIP thread and wanted to help out. Thanks, dude! You made this possible!

grubextrapolate reworked the tempo map and made a few tweaks to the already-solid drum chart and threw together a guitar chart full of chords and solos. I turned the really awesome and varied bass line into an unexpectedly fun chart and broke my brain figuring out harmonies. MrPrezident contributed truly awesome keys and pro keys charts that are essential to a song like this! Roll the second video!

[gameplay video featuring pro keys and a bass part with corrected sustains]

This song is the perfect ending to what was a hectic and rewarding experience. Juggling four releases, trying to remember what you did and what still needs done, helping out others with random bits... it can be a struggle. Now I plan on focusing on one-or-two songs by the same artist, going back to my regular schedule of a release or two a month. Next year's Canada Day releases are already being planned...

If you'd like to contribute improvements or animations or if you have suggestions for how I can do better, please contact me. Thanks for reading! I'm alive and doin' fine!

Atruejedi

#88 Jonztu

Jonztu
  • 174 posts

Posted July 3, 2019 - 03:47 AM

Great releases! Especially the Sum 41 songs. Were All To Blame should be a blast.

#89 grubextrapolate

grubextrapolate
  • 96 posts

Posted July 3, 2019 - 03:34 PM

haha, yeah, totally accurate portrayal of my, ahem, appreciation, of Red Hands. definitely that and not words like "terrible" and "i hope i never have to listen to this again". alas, i'm doomed as my wife likes it and i've already been forced to play it...

#90 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 741 posts

Posted July 5, 2019 - 10:16 PM

"Like a Cheshire cat, I think that you are just a grin..."

Annnd 13 months later, we're back with another track from Jukebox the Ghost's debut masterpiece, Let Live and Let Ghosts! How many customs by these indie darlings can you fit into your library? I can fit two, I can fit two... because I've updated Static and just added this brand new custom!

2eSSZDe.jpg

This Rock Band 3 custom song, Under My Skin by Jukebox the Ghost, is my forty-first release and the fourth custom featuring featuring the trio available in the database. If you haven't been paying attention, here's our story thus far: SteveHasAMustache uploaded Beady Eyes on the Horizon to the database, I shat my pants in excitement, we collaborated on Static, and made plans to release at least another JTG song sometime in the future. As it turns out, the future is now... just a bit later than expected.

jukeboxtheghostsafetravels.jpg?resize=87

How is our debut album 11 years old!? And did Instagram filters exist back then!?

If I ever release another JTG custom, it'll definitely not be from this album or their sophomore effort. Those albums, while fantastic and my favorites of their discography, are definitely well-represented now. I'd probably consider something from their latest effort... like Jumpstarted. Keep your eyes glued to the database for its release... in 2024.

[gameplay video]

Features:
Vocal chart from scratch
Dryvox lip sync for both vocal parts
Vocal tonic note
Numeric ID for Wii leaderboards (Song ID 649200041)

Guitar by SteveHasAMustache

Keys and pro keys by SteveHasAMustache

Drums by SteveHasAMustache

Like last time, thank Steve for this custom more than me. I guess I earned his trust with our release of Static, because here we are with another custom featuring all the instruments except vocals charted by ol' Steve. I was gonna chart bass, but... there isn't one.

Since this is Jukebox the Ghost, vocals and piano are front-and-center with this custom, but the guitar and drums aren't boring or uninteresting. There's something for everybody here, and it's really neat to have released one song featuring Ben on lead vocals and another with Tommy. If you're a fan of the band and eagle-eyed, you'll notice I swapped the guitarist and vocalist in the two videos to simulate Ben and Tommy switching vocal duties. I'm clever.

"Hey! Didn't you chart three vocal parts last time!?"

Yes, because I'm dumb and thought there might be a third part. But Jesse is such a bad singer, I should have known there wasn't anything going on there. That third part has been removed from Static thanks to our lord and savior, JS: LOSER/CenterCanceler, plugin of all plugins. It made divining the harmonies of Under My Skin much easier, too. No brains were bashed during the making of this custom.

If you'd like to contribute improvements or animations or if you have suggestions for how I can do better, please contact me. I hope you sing this and it is too well.

Atruejedi

#91 DenVaktare

DenVaktare
  • 229 posts

Posted July 6, 2019 - 12:13 AM

I had never heard Jukebox the Ghost before! I'm definitely going to be giving Static a playthrough. A big thanks to both you and Steve for the hard work and for bringing this our way. :) Hope you've been well.

#92 Unicyclone

Unicyclone
  • 92 posts

Posted July 8, 2019 - 06:19 AM

Ooh, I fell in love with JtG after hearing "Schizophrenia" on RBN back in the day, and they're still one of my favorite bands. Thanks so much for bringing these to Rock Band!

I chart multitrack customs! Download them here.

My WIP thread

#93 k-mac

k-mac
  • 253 posts

Posted July 13, 2019 - 11:19 AM

Jukebox the Ghost songs were some of my favourite RBN releases back in the day.  It's really awesome to see the continued support! Thanks for the great customs as always!  Signs is an ultimate classic.

#94 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 741 posts

Posted July 13, 2019 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for all the love, everybody. Good to know there are other JTG fans here. Reppin' that indie rock 4 life.

#95 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 741 posts

Posted July 13, 2019 - 05:58 PM

"Kiss this one last time and I'm gone for good..."

Remember that time I put The Struts in my suggestions thread and unwittingly forced Harmonix to create a time machine, travel a week into the past, and release Body Talks for Rock Band 4 just to spite me? Let's hope that doesn't happen again after the time and effort put into this custom!

ByT0LQP.jpg

This Rock Band 3 custom song, Kiss This by The Struts, is my forty-second release and the first custom featuring the British glam rockers available in the database. I fully expect it will not be the last... especially if I have anything to do with it.

struts-the-5661177640e45.jpg

Tempting.

This song was released as the band's first single in 2014 and subsequently included on their debut full length release Everybody Wants that same year. That album was remastered and reissued in the United States in 2016, and still this band remained under my radar. Only in the past year did I finally discover them, and I've been making up for it ever since. In fact, I've got tickets to see them live in about a week! Let's hope the performance looks somewhat like this*:

[gameplay video, *featuring since-fixed arms in the air at the beginning]

Features:
Vocal chart from scratch
Dryvox lip sync for all three vocal parts
Vocal tonic note
Numeric ID for Wii leaderboards (Song ID 649200042)

Drums by jksrb

Special thanks to Capta1n_GuitarHero, Chainsaw Octopus and grubextrapolate

This custom came together both faster and sooner and later than I thought it would. Why? Well, for starters, Capta1n_GuitarHero hooked me up with the files from Guitar Hero Live, including a rudimentary guitar track, acceptable vocals, and, most importantly, a tempo map. If you've worked with me behind the scenes, you know I avoid tempo mapping at all cost for everybody's sake... but my sanity in particular.

Second, jksrb messaged me last Friday morning asking if I had started any work on Kiss This yet. I had not, so I immediately created a project in my perfectly tweaked template and sent it off to him. A few hours later, I was in possession of a fully charted drum part. And when a "free" tempo map hooked up with fully charted drums, I had all the incentive in the world to get crackin' on this fantastically catchy track.

But wait... what? How come when I import the audio from the 2014 album it doesn't match up? Hm... maybe FreeStyleGames used the remastered audio from 2016... maybe it's slightly different...

...nope. They both lose sync. What the hell is going on?

I asked Capta1n_GuitarHero what he thought about the sitch' and he attempted to fix it up by stretching the overall length of the audio, but, nope, during the final third of the song it still wasn't perfect enough for my brain. So I hit up my old pal Chainsaw Octopus. According to the man himself:

it's all just slightly off tempo, but the luau part in the middle was probably what was throwing the ending off so much

I'm curious how songs end up like that, surely it was originally done to a click track and then someone fudged it a little?

and there are huge stretches where it seems like it's perfectly at like 92.78 for a third of the song

So your guess is as good as his. Point is, it's fixed!

The bass part was my first priority because I love charting fun bass parts. And this bass part is fun. I really think I did it justice, too, so I hope you enjoy it!

The vocals from FreeStyleGames were actually pretty good. As soon as I got the custom compiled in an unfinished state, I tested the vocals and most phrases seemed to hold up. I added slides, of course, and shortened some tubes, as is my wont. I also changed some syllable spellings and added harmonies. But it went so fast since all I had to do was edit the work given to me. Thanks again, Capta1n_GuitarHero!

Now, guitar... guitar was another story, and what ended up delaying the release by a week. The GHL chart was not very... Rock Band-y... so I gave it a severe overhaul, based on a partially pitched guitar chart I made based on it. I wasn't at all confident in what I had created. It seemed pretty good. It fit with the sound of the song... but I never trust my own judgment on guitar charts, especially of this variety. Luckily, we have a wonderfully supportive community here at C3, and grubextrapolate volunteered to take a look at all of my work and give me the thumbs-up or thumbs-here's-how-to-make-this-better. Suffice to say, I liked some of grub's changes, discarded the buried solo he charted at the end, and kept my guitar chart during the ah-ah-ah-ah-ah part. Grub definitely made this chart more playable and I appreciate his help!

Now let's talk about that venue. This week, StackOverflow0x released MiloMod 1.3, which all Wii users should utilize. Combined with Kueller's Venuegen, they are what allow me to make complex, spectacular venues with significantly less time and effort than I had to expel in the past. Shout-out to both of them. Hopefully everybody is fooled and thinks this is official DLC. :D

If you'd like to contribute improvements or animations or if you have suggestions for how I can do better, please contact me. You're good to me, so I'm here for good.

Atruejedi

#96 Dangus

Dangus
  • 441 posts

Posted July 15, 2019 - 03:18 PM

I'd probably consider something from their latest effort... like Jumpstarted. Keep your eyes glued to the database for its release... in 2024.

Omg please. My favorite JTG song.

#97 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 741 posts

Posted August 18, 2019 - 03:32 PM

"And I'll always dream of classic cars and movie screens
and tryin' to find some way to be redeemed..."

Fellow author TomGuy and I are both big fans of The Gaslight Anthem and their sophomore album, The '59 Sound. Tom wanted to chart the entire thing. I respect his determination, but such a mammoth undertaking is not how I operate. I wanted two songs in particular from that album made into customs. The first was High Lonesome, my favorite song by the band, which was released as a collaboration during my birthday extravaganza at the beginning of this year. Today sees the release of my second favorite song.

sOxNyh4.jpg

This Rock Band 3 custom song, Old White Lincoln by The Gaslight Anthem, is my forty-third release, my second custom by the band, the third custom from that album in the database, and the fourth Gaslight song available for download. Perhaps more Gaslight will come in the future, but for now, I'm very satisfied.

brian_fallon.jpg
Sleeves of tattoo and denim.

As always, a big thanks to TomGuy for allowing me to build off of his work. Gaslight is one of my favorite bands, and when I first discovered this community and was searching for every band I listen to, seeing his custom of "45" by the band blew my mind. Somebody else likes a thing I like!? Maybe I should get into this scene... and here we are!

[gameplay video]

Features:
Vocal chart from scratch
Vocal tonic note
Numeric ID for Wii leaderboards (Song ID 649200043)
Tempo map by TomGuy
Drums by Chainsaw Octopus
Special thanks to grubextrapolate

I think we've established I don't tempo map efficiently, so I avoid it entirely. For this custom, TomGuy provided the tempo map and I took it from there. I laid down the vocal chart years ago, but only recently did I reach out and recruit my good pal Chainsaw Octopus to chart the drums. The drums look fun and will keep you busy for the duration. I don't have much more to say about them, but Chainsaw is always welcome to chime in! :)

I then got to work on the bass and guitar charts.The bass is pretty straight-forward and sort of repetitive, but there are actually a few measures featuring chords to change things up! I love that low rumbly sound, and even though it's a simple part, it's definitely enjoyable.

I pitched the guitar chart and, miraculously, it perfectly translated into the five-gem format we all know and love. Typically I'm not confident when charting even remotely chordy guitar parts, but I'm kind of proud of this one. Feedback is always welcome!

Now, the vocals... apparently, I've learned a lot in the past couple of years of charting vocal tubes. When testing this, I kept getting destroyed. I didn't know if it was tuning cents or tube length, so I fiddled with it for an entire week longer than I had planned. Eventually, I overhauled the whole thing, and it plays really well now. It pairs perfectly with the moody venue. So channel your inner Brian Fallon and rip it, TomGuy!

If you'd like to contribute improvements or animations or if you have suggestions for how I can do better, please contact me. Now hit the road.

Atruejedi

#98 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 741 posts

Posted August 18, 2019 - 04:27 PM

"All you suicide kings and you drama queens..."

Brad Roberts of Crash Test Dummies once remarked that if Weird Al Yankovic parodies your song, you know you've made it in the business. By this standard, the breakaway success of Runaway Train in 1993 really didn't mean much for Soul Asylum. It would not be until the release of their next album that they really hit the big-time.

rTvhPSz.jpg

This Rock Band 3 custom song, Misery by Soul Asylum, is my forty-fourth release overall and my fourth custom by the band. Hey, have I mentioned I'm a big fan and they are underrepresented in the database!? Welp, I'm proud and pleased to say that's now rectified!

dsg0kui6acfapqfmi61m.jpg

Now accepting clothing donations.

I've always said I like to spread the love when it comes to putting different bands into the database, but to me it was a personal affront that neither Runaway Train nor Misery, the band's biggest hits, were in the database. On the journey to getting both of them created, I managed to release two of my favorite lesser-known songs by the band (April Fool and Closer to the Stars), and I hope Dave Pirner someday stumbles upon this website and is very surprised and flattered to see what I, with my wonderful collaborators, have made as a tribute to him and his songwriting prowess.

[gameplay video]

Will I release more Soul Asylum customs in the future? Eh... if I do, it'll be nowhere in the near future, and likely only one song. There is a possibility that I someday might work on Just Like Anyone. But for now, it's time to move onto other bands.

Features:
Vocal chart from scratch
Vocal tonic note
Numeric ID for Wii leaderboards (Song ID 649200044)
Tempo map by AJFOne23
Pro keys by Buster66
Drums by AJFOne23

Since I don't tempo map, and since I knew this song was parodied by Weird Al as Syndicated Incorporated on his Bad Hair Day album in 1996, I thought AJFOne23 would be the perfect collaborator. I reached out to him with this proposal: he provides the tempo map and drums for Misery, and I'll get the custom completed. Once it's ready to release, I'll send him the completed project files, which he can then easily modify to release as Syndicated Incorporated. He agreed, and for the first time he contributed to one of my projects. Oh, the times in which we live! After giving him a bajillion vocal charts, I never thought it would happen. We didn't synchronize the releases, but his "version" is coming. Oh, use the spoilers tag? Whoops.

Charting the vocals for this was fun and simple. It plays like a dream. All of the layered parts at the end are really neat!

Charting the bass for this was fun, but not simple. It's really a great, varied part!

Charting the guitar for this was a hellish nightmare. I tried to pitch it but so much was happening that my brain couldn't handle it. I realized I was in over my head, gave up, and asked grubextrapolate to lend a hand. After a bit of a delay, we got the chart to the point where we were both satisfied, and the bottleneck was cleared.

Buster66 then dropped in the pro keys part, I recorded the lip sync and whipped up the venue, and bam, Misery was complete. But imperfect. Setting the animation speed to medium was too fast... and setting it to slow was too slow. I examined the songs.dta file and saw that slow's value is 16, medium's value is 32, and fast's value is 64. In an attempt to break the game, I used the DTA editor in C3 CON Tools and change the value to 24. Inexplicably, it worked. Nothing broke and the animation speed was a perfect slow-medium. The customs factory continues to churn out high quality releases by our most skilled and unionized authors.

If you'd like to contribute improvements or animations or if you have suggestions for how I can do better, please contact me. Alright, break's over. Get back on the assembly line!

Atruejedi

#99 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 741 posts

Posted August 18, 2019 - 05:02 PM

"Just because she makes a big rumpus
She don't mean to be mean or hurt you on purpose, boy..."

Jack White is a weird dude, and that's part of the reason I love him so much. The man's well-known for his guitar playing, but this tune doesn't even have a guitar. Instead, we get piano, bass, drums, and my favorite lyrics of any White Stripes song.

DwLGBVt.jpg

This Rock Band 3 custom song, The Denial Twist by The White Stripes, is my forty-fifth release, but I want to stress that I didn't do the vast majority of the charting. This release is a full-band upgrade to a custom originally by infernus2 (AKA Deoxy99). Many thanks to him for allowing me to complete this upgrade with all the bells and whistles! In particular, the original release lacked overdrive and vocals. After completing this vocal chart, I now understand why he chose to skip charting them.

ws-elephant-press1-2-_wide-743832f95e961

The Smoking Man and his Devil Heads Drummer.

The 2005 release Get Behind Me Satan is definitely my favorite album by the band, and this song is my favorite tune out of their entire catalogue. When I saw it in the database with pro bass but without any vocals, I knew something had to be done. It took a long time, but I finally got around to it.

[gameplay video]

Features:
Vocal chart from scratch
Dryvox lip sync for the only vocal part
Vocal tonic note
Numeric ID for Wii leaderboards (Song ID 649200045)
Pro bass and bass by infernus2
Pro keys and keys by infernus2
Drums by infernus2

I can't speak for any instrument charts here except vocals, which easily take the prize for the most difficult vocals chart I've ever made. And that includes the vocals charts I contributed to funkydunkleman for Would You Fight For My Love? and Spindoctor and MrPrezident for Freedom at 21. I don't think it's an exaggeration to have these marked as devil's head vocals, and I certainly welcome feedback. Jack is all over the scale on these, bouncing from high to low to high and back again. It's unpredictable, staccato, and precise. I had a hell of a time getting them accurately charted, and even then, I have a rough time pulling off a good run.

Did I mention this song has pro drums, pro keys, and a pro bass part by infernus2? Witness me!

[gameplay video featuring pro bass and pro keys charts]

The venue bounces around, too, between vibrant colors starkly contrasted with black and white. Why did I do this? I don't know. But I thought it was cool, and I wanted to push my own creative limits.

If you'd like to contribute improvements or animations or if you have suggestions for how I can do better, please contact me. Now go rock that boat.

Atruejedi

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)