Celebrate the end of July with Picturing Love by July Talk! (7/31/18)

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 589 posts

Posted May 26, 2018 - 01:02 AM

"... but it's easier on me than having to admit that she likes someone else :("

Are you suffering from emotional distress after being callously kicked to the curb by your significant other? Do you find that numbing yourself with alcohol is less and less effective? Well, try turning the tables and benefiting from that bad breakup! All you've gotta do is weave a sob story about your partner's untimely demise... consistency be damned! Turn that dump into a bump!

YdM3QZV.jpg

Click here to go to the database entry.

This Rock Band 3 custom song, My Girlfriend's Dead by The Vandals, is my fifteenth release and the first (FOR SHAME!) custom by these pilfering punks available in the database. If all goes according to plan, it won't be the last. The barbarian horde has set its sights on the C3 database and invasion is imminent... even if the army is only a single song for now. An army of one!

MI0001340051.jpg

"Ladies, from now on you'll never see one of those men without the other three!"

My first memory of the Vandals was hearing their cover of So Long, Farewell from The Sound of Music while using the Yahoo! Radio function built into Yahoo! Messenger in the late '90s. While I'm a bit surprised they never had a single released by Harmonix as DLC, I'm even more surprised they have no customs in the database. Luckily, this song request post by Seahorste lit a fire under some Roman asses.

[Gameplay video courtesy of MrPrezident; video not entirely reflective of custom venue work]

Features:
Fully custom venue from scratch
Vocal chart from scratch
Dryvox lip sync for all three vocal parts
Vocal tonic note
Reductions for all instruments
Numeric ID for Wii leaderboards (Song ID 649200015)

Guitar by MrPrezident

Keys and pro keys by MrPrezident

Drums by Sideshow

This adorably sad tune was the Obvious Choice featured in the Vandals entry of my suggestions thread last July. Only a few weeks ago did Sideshow, MrPrezident, and I begin collaborating to bring this custom to life, but within a week everything was ready to go!

...and then I had a hard drive failure. :argh: :crying:

So just like Rome, this song was indeed built in a few days*, but then Rome got sacked. Luckily, I didn't lose any work related to this song, but having to deal with the fallout of that situation distracted me from finishing up all the little details and delayed the custom's arrival in the database. But I think it was worth the wait! The lip sync turned out wonderfully and I got to experiment with some venue options I hadn't yet had reason to use; namely, the silhouette spotlight effect at the beginning and the strobe light effects throughout (especially during the ending). I hope the custom venue will make this song a party pleaser!

I had a hell of a time charting the bass part for this song. No matter how I adjusted the audio settings, I couldn't really "pull" it out in certain sections, and a MIDI I acquired to assist me proved horribly inaccurate in many places. I think the bass chart is good enough, but improvements and suggestions are more than welcome.

I had an even hellier of a time charting the vocals for this one because I consistently got slaughtered during playtests. Why? Because I was experimenting with Tuning Cents and altering Tuning Cents after "installing" a song into the Wii's library requires a cache refresh for the changes to go into effect. So I wasted a ton of time and made a million tweaks to the vocals thinking it was a problem with my chart, but, no, it was the gosh darn Tuning Cents. Lesson learned!

About the opening Ba ba ba ba ba vocals: During live shows, the Vandals don't whistle the whistling part, they "ba" it, and the audience joins in. So to increase the fun factor, that's how I tried to chart it. Because whistling this would be very tricky, I excluded it from solo play. It's only present in the harmonies version, and it's charted to the third harmony slot. Witness me! (Thanks for reminding me to explain this, BornGamerRob!)

Shout-out to my collaborators, Prez and Sideshow, for the wonderful work they contributed to this custom. Sideshow's drum chart is one of the most intense featured in any of my customs, and Prez went above and beyond with the pro keys chart. While I wouldn't be playing the drum part anytime soon (because I am awful), I'll definitely be giving the pro keys part a playthrough soon!

If you'd like to contribute improvements or animations or if you have suggestions for how I can do better, please contact me. And Jerry, just remember... it's not a lie if you believe it.

Atruejedi

P.S. Dave Quackenbush is obviously the great-great-grandson of Lida Rose Quackenbush.

*This may not be historically accurate.

#1 Ranked Wii Customs Player... because it's the Wii
"Like a madman laughin' at the rain" - Custom song releases
Freelancers wanted! - Works-in-progress
"One-Trick Pony" - Details of my contributions in the database!
In-Depth Eclectic Suggestions - Let's collaborate!
Packing Like a Pro - The Guide for a Legit Wii Library
Last.fm Profile - Let's be snobs together.

#42 ejthedj

ejthedj
  • 70 posts

Posted May 30, 2018 - 12:35 AM

I love it when a song evokes as emotional response like this one; It's both sad and silly at the same time 😣

Rush Rockband Resolution (R3):

http://customscreato...-resolution-r3/

#43 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 589 posts

Posted June 7, 2018 - 01:57 AM

I love it when a song evokes as emotional response like this one; It's both sad and silly at the same time

I'm glad you enjoyed it. :) Thanks for the feedback!

#44 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 589 posts

Posted June 7, 2018 - 02:01 AM

"He's writing revelations for the showdown..."

Jukebox the Ghost were, for the longest time, a band just out of my Rock Band library's reach. They were never featured in my suggestions thread because they have an astonishing five tracks from their wonderful sophomore album available on the Rock Band Network. Joy of joys! Too bad those songs were never officially released for Wii users :argh:

kAT1qob.jpg

This Rock Band 3 custom song, Static by Jukebox the Ghost, is my sixteenth release and the third custom featuring my indie-rock idols available in the database. The project came together and was completed in about two weeks because I couldn't contain my enthusiasm when SteveHasAMustache posted Beady Eyes on the Horizon in the database. I immediately reached out to him about collaborating on another Jukebox the Ghost song (JTG for the rest of this post) and he asked me what I'd like to get made. There was no question. "Static to to the Heart!"

jukebox-343344e0f198cf2eae62bf2e9b213b68

A handful of handsome hipsters having their hair heated.

Then Steve informed me that it's actually just entitled Static. All these years and I never realized I was adding three words to the title. Heh. Some fan I am. :( But I swear, I have been a huge fan of the band for years! My first memory of hearing their music was over the venue speakers during the intermission at a live show while one band left the stage and another set up their equipment. I didn't have SoundHound yet, so I just memorized a few of the lyrics and, when I got home, typed them into a Google search as a quote with the word lyrics attached. Bam! I discovered JTG (the song was Hold It In, available as a C3 release!). I devoured their first two albums and have followed them ever since. I've seen them three times in concert and own two t-shirts. This means I'm cool and have street cred. The band still makes good music, but nothing touches those first two releases. Since the second album is so well represented on the RBN, I thought I'd show the debut some more love. I'm glad Steve agreed!

[Gameplay video courtesy of MrPrezident; video not entirely reflective of custom venue work; here is the video on Mega]

Features:
Vocal chart from scratch
Vocal tonic note
Numeric ID for Wii leaderboards (Song ID 649200016)

Guitar by SteveHasAMustache

Keys and pro keys by SteveHasAMustache

Drums by SteveHasAMustache

Steve did all the heavy lifting for this one. I am both humbled and gracious that he trusted me to apply the glossy paint and publish it in the database after completing the vocals. Steve did the charts for the guitar, drums, keys, and pro keys. He didn't chart the bass part, though... because there is no bass part. Which actually sucked for me, because I thought I could contribute that to the project!

Alas. But having the standard three instruments made rigging up the custom venue much simpler; there's no need to account for "what-ifs" of when an instrumentalist is or isn't on stage. So I was able to make an impressive, rigid spectacle to entertain the players and audience when the rocking begins.

As for the vocals, I'm really proud of the charts. After completing the melody and beginning the harmony, I realized something sounded... off. While ignoring Tuning Cents worked for the melody, once I was listening to the harmony, I realized it needed tweaking. So all parts are jacked up a quarter of a note, and I can happily say after testing out the vocals multiple times that this seems like the sweet spot.

"Hey! Jay Tee Gee has two singers! Why does this song has three vocal parts?"

Yeah, Ben and Tommy usually trade off on main vocal duties with two-part harmonies, but I swear I hear another harmony on this track, albeit rarely. After watching and listening to a handful of live performances of the song, I put that real, official harmony in the HARM2 slot and added the phantom harmony as a bonus in HARM3. It's only present for four phrases in the entire song, so I almost feel like advertising the song in the visualizer as having three vocal parts is lying... so, now you know the story!

If you'd like to contribute improvements or animations or if you have suggestions for how I can do better, please contact me. Now let's burn this motherfucker down because.

Atruejedi

#45 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 589 posts

Posted June 20, 2018 - 11:39 PM

"Maybe you will always be just a little out of reach..."

Some things take time. Life gets in the way of what we have to do versus what we want to do. And when we do get the time to do what we want, we often learn there aren't enough hours in the day if you really want to do something right. But some things are worth the wait... and the moment has finally arrived.

n8bLFKQ.jpg

This Rock Band 3 custom song, Satellite by Guster, is my seventeenth release and the first full-band custom available in the database featuring one of my very favorite bands. The project took a long time to complete because the wheels of custom creation can grind quite slowly sometimes. But I guess it's appropriate that the satellite we inhabit has nearly made a complete revolution around its sun since the idea was sparked. And we totally did gang up on this custom.

gs15001_012_f.jpg

Making Dad Rock since 2016.

Guster was the very first band featured in my suggestions thread because I wanted this exact song made into a custom. So let me share with you the journey this song made to land in your library!

[Gameplay video courtesy of Fat Ha1p3rt; video not entirely reflective of custom venue work]

Features:
Vocal chart from scratch
Vocal tonic note
Numeric ID for Wii leaderboards (Song ID 649200017)

Vocals by BornGamerRob

Guitar by TomGuy

Drums by Chainsaw Octopus

It all started when Chainsaw Octopus and I finished up collaborating on Moving to New York by the Wombats. The next song I wanted made was Satellite, so Chainsaw Octopus cracked out the tempo map 'n' drums chart 'n' sent it my way... but nothing came of it. Back then, you see, I didn't have the requisite skills to create and publish my very own custom; I was only capable of contributing vocals to the works of other authors. In the past year, that's changed.

Also in the past year, C.O.'s Reaper project ended up in the hands of BornGamerRob, who laid down the initial vocals chart. BornGamerRob was himself just getting into authoring at the time, but his work was completely serviceable. Only because of my crippling perfectionism did I invest so much (practically unnecessary) time into polishing his melody and adding the harmonies. B.G.R. laid a very solid foundation upon which I was able to build a vocalist's villa. And yes, that sounded better in my head. Many thanks to him!

So, now the drums and vocals were accounted for. I knew I could handle the bass and rudimentary pro keys myself, but tackling the plastic guitar intimidated me. I knew I wouldn't be able to do it justice, so I concentrated on completing the other two parts. I really love my bass chart for this song, and I think you'll dig it, too.

The critical absense of a guitar chart held this sucker up for much longer than I had ever anticipated. The dryvox and venue (typically my final steps when I'm publishing a custom) were complete and collecting dust, holding out for a hero to chart the guitar. Enter TomGuy. Tom and I have worked together in the past and he's a swell chap. When I decided to contract the job out to a freelancer with more experience, he was one of the first authors I thought of contacting. Lucky for me, he was eager to contribute to such a special song. He whipped up a lovely guitar part for Satellite and the final piece of the puzzle was now in place.

That isn't to say the puzzle is perfect, though. I've done my best with fleshing out the pro keys chart as best as my ears would allow, but there's definitely room for additions and improvement. If any keyboard and/or Guster enthusiast is up to the task, get in touch. We already have four authors involved with this song, so why not make it five? :)

It was an honor working with all of the above authors to bring this to life after such a long wait. I hope you enjoy it! If you'd like to contribute improvements or animations or if you have suggestions for how I can do better, please contact me. Thanks for reading!

Atruejedi

#46 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 589 posts

Posted July 2, 2018 - 12:12 AM

"You better not be sittin' or punchin' in early, but be prepared to stay real late..."

Happy Canada Day from an American who eagerly eats up much of the great music you fellas graciously export! Better download it before the digital tariffs take effect or the wall goes up to separate your frozen dystopian wasteland from our capitalist paradise! Here, have an olive branch...

sTdDjcJ.jpg

This Rock Band 3 custom song, Oh, The Boss is Coming! by the Arkells, is my eighteenth release and the first custom available in the database featuring these boys from Hamilton, Ontario. And what an absolutely rockin' debut it is! This might be the most intense custom I've released, and I hope the custom venue amplifies the experience. And while this is their first representation in the database, it shan't be the last! But have some patience... good things come to those who wait. Like annexation.

the_arkells640.jpg

moar awards plz k thnx

Almost exactly a year ago, Arkells were added to my suggestions thread and this custom was the very obvious Obvious Choice. Since I gave them such an in-depth write-up in that thread, I'll try not to repeat myself here... but it is worth reading that post if the Arkells pique your interest.

[Gameplay video courtesy of MrPrezident; video not entirely reflective of custom venue work]

Features:

Vocal chart from scratch

Dryvox lip sync for the only vocal part

Vocal tonic note

Numeric ID for Wii leaderboards (Song ID 649200018)

Guitar by MrPrezident

Bass by MrPrezident

Drums by drummerockband

While my top bands have shuffled a bit in the past few years, with the Sam Roberts Band, the Sheepdogs, and Mother Mother replacing the Arkells as my most-scrobbled Canadian band, the Arkells are where my fascination with Canadian rock 'n' roll started. I got into them shortly after their sophomore album Michigan Left was released, and I listened to it an obscene amount of times... about 95 times in 2012 alone, according to my last.fm math. Good times, good times. I'm also a huge fan of their first album and their third, High Noon, has really grown on me in the past few years, but I initially didn't dig it much. Their latest release, Morning Report, is pretty mediocre... and yet there are a few gems on it that make me go back to it on occasion. Even when the Arkells suck, they're still better than 90% of the other stuff floating around out there. Max's undeniable charm helps.

11690137.jpg?size=640x420

Maximum swagger.

A while back I approached MrPrezident about helping out with his Canada Day releases this year. He's released so many fantastic Canadian songs during his time here that I wanted to contribute to the songs I'd inevitably be downloading on July 1st. He asked me for some suggestions and in the ensuing back-and-forth of custom candidates, he settled on this one because he knew I'd say yes after all the clammoring I've done in the past to get the Arkells into my library. Once I'd sent the finished vocals back to Prez, he asked me if I'd be interested in publishing this sucker. DUH, YES. I had envisioned a custom venue for it since the beginning, and I really hit the mark I was aiming for. But a venue is nothing if not for the instrument charts accompanying it, so shout-out to Prez for completing the guitar and bass and drummerockband for supplying the drums. There are keys in the actual song, but they aren't exactly prominent, so I marked them as no part... I hope this isn't deception! I'd gladly add a keys part if somebody can handle the insanity. I even considered adding a few pieces of it on my own, but I didn't see the point when I realized how much I wouldn't be able to chart. Sorry :(

I'm glad Prez settled on this song, both for me and for players and listeners new to the band. It's easily one of their best songs, very accessible, and quite the jam. I can confidently say it's one of my most Rock Band-y releases. You don't need to be a fan of the band to enjoy playing this custom. But don't take my word for it... ;)

I'd also like to apologize to MrPrezident for waiting until the eleventh hour with this release. My weeks have been extremely busy lately and much of what little time I do have for myself is used for working on customs, but I didn't know I'd be doing the venue for this one until midway through this past week. I began working on this pretty much as soon as I could, but my perfectionism wouldn't allow me to get it done any sooner. I hope it was worth the wait!

HAPPY CANADA DAY! 'Merica's birthday is right around the corner! If you'd like to contribute improvements or animations or if you have suggestions for how I can do better, please contact me. Thanks for reading!

Atruejedi

#47 MrPrezident

MrPrezident

C3U Moderator

• 865 posts

Posted July 2, 2018 - 12:43 AM

Well I'm shocked because I tried really hard to hear any keys and.... nothing.  I would have charted them, I swear.

But I want to personally thank you for all the collabs we've done over the past year, and for working on this and the Mother Mother song.  You helped make this Canada Day a special one.  Thank you.

MY CUSTOMS -  Everything from ABBA to XTC

FORUM THREAD / WIP THREAD - Updated every Monday

p89ZznR.png KhDyqmU.png

#48 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 589 posts

Posted July 2, 2018 - 01:03 AM

Well I'm shocked because I tried really hard to hear any keys and.... nothing.  I would have charted them, I swear.

You'll hear them when the chorus begins around 1:03 in the preview video. Happens at the second and final chorus as well. If there are any synth parts between those, I don't hear 'em at the moment listening on my normal computer speakers. It's much more impressive/fleshed-out in the live video I linked. Don't worry about adding them! It would just be a bunch of boring sustains for the album version :P

But I want to personally thank you for all the collabs we've done over the past year, and for working on this and the Mother Mother song.  You helped make this Canada Day a special one.  Thank you.

It is my absolute honor to work with you, sir. I love bringing dreams to life, and you've been instrumental (DERP) in that process! Cheers to many more collaborations.

#49 Whizzer

Whizzer
  • 334 posts

Posted July 2, 2018 - 11:34 AM

You'll hear them when the chorus begins around 1:03 in the preview video. Happens at the second and final chorus as well. If there are any synth parts between those, I don't hear 'em at the moment listening on my normal computer speakers. It's much more impressive/fleshed-out in the live video I linked. Don't worry about adding them! It would just be a bunch of boring sustains for the album version :P

Yes, those are some nice organ chords.

In spite of all your attention to detail, you misspelled the song's name, it appears. 'the' is not capitalized, but 'Is' should be.

Thanks to all involved for a rocking song!

#50 k-mac

k-mac
  • 243 posts

Posted July 2, 2018 - 12:37 PM

Huge thanks for the Arkells song! Their live performances are incredible. One of my favourite bands, so I can't wait to see what else you end up having in store from them.

#51 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 589 posts

Posted July 31, 2018 - 08:01 PM

"'Cause I'm tired of seeing pictures on a screen..."

Six months in the making, but it's finally here. And even if it didn't make it into the database in time for Canada Day, at least it made it by the end of July! Because, you know, the band is called July Talk. See?

GfeCOma.jpg

This Rock Band 3 custom song, Picturing Love by July Talk, is my nineteenth release and the first custom available in the database featuring Peter and Leah's juxtaposed, angelic, gritty vocals. It's like chocolate and vanilla swirl softserve ice cream!

B97206495Z.120130717164907000GSJ3COIK.11

Available in black and white, just like the custom venue.

A bit over a year ago, July Talk appeared in my suggestions thread but I really regret choosing the songs featured in that post. Even though I mentioned this tune, I didn't think it would be much fun for every band member, so I skipped it. Well, screw them. This is definitely a vocalist-focused song, but everything else turned out pretty great! Check it out:

Features:

Vocal chart from scratch

Dryvox lip sync for both vocal parts

Vocal tonic note

Numeric ID for Wii leaderboards (Song ID 649200019)

Tempo map by MrPrezident

Guitar by DenVaktare

Drums by Whizzer

I've made my adoration for Canadian rock music pretty well known 'round these parts, so I'll spare you the gushing (this time) and just get straight to the details about the custom itself.

Back in January, MrPrezident offered to tempo map a number of songs for me. Socialism at its finest! This one was on the list, and he got it to me in short order. It was then sent off to Whizzer for the drums, and he got it back to me just as quickly. I proceeded to lay down the vocal and bass charts, but without a guitar chart, which I knew I wasn't up for charting, this sucker languished on my hard drive until last week, when DenVaktare returned to the fold and tackled the missing element. Now it was time to break out the shoe shine...

I had the venue and drovox finished (but untested) since winter's end, and since there wasn't much more for me to do beyond tweak and test, I decided I'd try my hand at the keyboard part. I think it turned out nicely, but there's absolutely room for improvement. Any takers? I wasn't sure how to handle the left- and right-handed parts, so I played it pretty conservatively and tried to only chart one hand. That being said, the keyboard chart is really fun to 5-button keytar, so I think I did something right!

Vocals got a big upgrade. I charted them in February, and since then I've learned a lot about when to stress over tube length and when to say good enough because it won't effect gameplay. My philosophy on vocal charting developed and crystalized since I received the tempo map, so I was able to make significant improvements. It plays well. Challenging, but fair.

My venue creations have also improved as I've learned more of the little tricks. In particular, I'm referring to crowd interactions. The audience should interact with the venue much more "realistically" than in my earlier customs, knowing when to clap and when to stop clapping. They should also cheer at appropriate times when the song begins and ends. Feedback in this respect is welcome, as it might act differently on my Wii...

The venue for this song was inspired by the consistently black and white music videos July Talk releases. Unfortunately, because I can't use the mirror post-processing effect at the same time as using the black and white filter, I allowed for some color during two portions of the song. But it seems appropriate and I'm very pleased with how everything turned out.

It does suck, though, that the Wii's unpolished version of the game limits what I get to play around with. I wanted to use the blackout_spot lighting for this one, but it is so dark (yes, even with spotlights activated). I resorted to using my tried 'n' true silhouettes_spot, which looks pretty good on the Wii (all things considered). So, sorry, XBOXers and Playstationeers... if I can't enjoy blackout_spot, neither can you. :)

If you'd like to contribute improvements or animations or if you have suggestions for how I can do better, please contact me. Thanks for reading! Now go sing like an angel or a demon... or both!

Atruejedi

#52 k-mac

k-mac
  • 243 posts

Posted August 4, 2018 - 01:28 PM

Huge thanks for Picturing Love!  July Talk is my favourite band, so it's great to finally see them in the game, and right when they announce a new album for later this year!  Their live show is unreal.  Since you really like Canadian music, have you heard the 2 newly released Metric songs? The upcoming album is going to be amazing.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users