Newbie here! Thank you and hello!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DurrtMcGurrt

DurrtMcGurrt
  • 1 posts

Posted January 12, 2018 - 12:01 AM

Wow, I'm an avid RB player since Version1. I cannot believe I didnt know about this site until earlier this week. But im glad to be here, and I plan to get into authoring right away. I'm taking my time reading and watching videos before I even dip my toe in the authoring water.

Anyway I've been playing with a few customs and they are fantastic- really professional. One thing I've noticed is that the audio for the songs have wildly varying quality- but the thing I notice mostly is the bass is usually non-existent. 

Backstory: I play on a 120" projector system with friends, and a 5.1 stereo with two subwoofers, and it sounds stellar with HMX RB songs.

With customs, things are good except for the bass- its just not there.

My question: is this something to do with the process of authoring, or a problem with the source MP3? 

Please dont take this as a complaint, I'm really just trying to understand before I get started authoring. Thanks everyone for an absolutely stellar project. I'm truly blown away by it, and I plan to be a huge contributor. 

Cheers-

DurrtMcgurrt 

#2 Farottone

Farottone

The Lean Mean Customs Charting Machine

• Administrator
  • 6,382 posts

Posted January 12, 2018 - 12:43 AM

Songs authored with multitrack, certainly those done by Harmonix and most of those done as customs, can have different volume levels for every instrument. Bass is the instrument that Harmonix and we usually pump up to make it pop more in the mix. There is nothing we can do on mixed tracks though, which is almost every custom song, so what you hear in game is the same thing you would hear if you played the MP3/FLAC/OGG through your console.

#3 MrPrezident

MrPrezident

C3U Moderator

• 897 posts

Posted January 12, 2018 - 12:55 AM

Hello! Welcome! 

In my experience most authors use headphones to chart the customs and very few of them have elaborate audio setups for test platforms.  Boosting the bass in customs is something I would love to improve upon as well as I have a similar audio setup as you.  I suspect it all comes down to the source audio and the export settings the author uses to create the wav file.

FORUM THREAD  /  MY CUSTOMS -  Everything from ABBA to XTC

p89ZznR.png KhDyqmU.png

#4 BornGamerRob

BornGamerRob
  • 325 posts

Posted January 12, 2018 - 02:34 AM

I suspect it all comes down to the source audio and the export settings the author uses to create the wav file.

If there's a best practice to help with sound, I'd be happy to follow it. 

Check out my video playlists: YOUTUBE | VIMEO (superior)

#5 Funk Meister Freud

Funk Meister Freud
  • 914 posts

Posted January 12, 2018 - 02:32 PM

Welcome to the most awesome little Island on the internet!  :cool:  

I'd place a lei over your head in welcome, but at the moment I'm fresh outta internet leis....

and you get no hug and a peck on the cheek because......well........that might be kinda gay! (j/k) :P

Pleased to meet ya and welcome aboard Durrt McGurrt! :D

If I appear to be a little "off center", pay it no mind.

It's just my nogrognophobia kicking in.................

I have this morbidly unreasonable fear that the rum's run out! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users