Advice for mapping extremely inconsistent tempo?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jed

jed
  • 35 posts

Posted November 22, 2017 - 06:17 PM

I'm charting something really dumb (fifteen seconds in I've added four different tempo markers) but I'm wondering if y'all have any advice about improving workflow for mapping something that has essentially no consistency.

#2 DemonUnicorns

DemonUnicorns
  • 591 posts

Posted November 22, 2017 - 06:31 PM

4 markers for 15 seconds? Thats not really inconsistent. Best way is to do a new marker for EACH measure. Even then you may need more than one marker for a given measure.

#3 Whizzer

Whizzer
  • 242 posts

Posted November 22, 2017 - 09:25 PM

Agreed. Songs not recorded with a click-track or edited to be extremely tight will have variation from measure to measure. You're lucky if you don't need to use many tempo markers.

#4 atupomaruru

atupomaruru
  • 137 posts

Posted November 22, 2017 - 09:42 PM

I thought doing one tempo marker for each beat was common practice.

#5 DemonUnicorns

DemonUnicorns
  • 591 posts

Posted November 22, 2017 - 09:52 PM

Depending on the song, that may be overkill. However, there are certainly situations where that may be beneficial.

#6 Septekka

Septekka

HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA

• 247 posts

Posted November 22, 2017 - 10:44 PM

I do this because I just cannot handle seeing the gridlines even slightly misaligned from each peak, even if the actual difference in terms of playing it is miniscule. Hell I'll even put tempo markers between the beats. Most of the time, however, mapping per measure is perfectly acceptable and won't really affect how the song plays compared to more precise mapping.

Check out my thread for full band, all difficulties customs from a variety of artists and genres!

WP5YDMh.png

---

i think that indie band pink floyd really messed up when they didntmake that whole song money just the cash register sounds
pink floyd's "the wall" is an entire concept album about a man who needs no education because his dream is simply to build a lovely big wall

#7 jed

jed
  • 35 posts

Posted November 25, 2017 - 07:51 PM

I should've been a bit more specific about what I'm charting, it's not really a song 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users