Why is this chart out of sync (3/4 charting, tempo mapping)?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 49 posts

Posted November 16, 2017 - 12:00 AM

Hey, so I've been charting over 40+ drums songs now (28 already uploaded here), and there's this song that's giving me a very serious headache - it's Silence Kid by Pavement. The tempo map just wouldn't work for me.

Most of the song is 4/4 and it's very good and plays well. However, near the end it shifts to 3/4 (with fairly problematic tempo that changes all the time). I've done the tempo map as good as I can, the click in Reaper sounds just right, but when I play along... I always end up out of sync and dropping notes.

I transformed all the notes to triplets (are you supposed to only use triplets when charting 3/4 songs? seems to work better), it got better but still it's not on time. The weirdest issue is, some of the notes I always miss are right at the 'one' (first measure of the bar), which is synced perfectly with the click track... but mostly difficult to hit.

Here's the chart:

https://www.mediafir.../silencekid.rpp

Any advice? I'm getting desperate honestly.

Thanks

#2 DemonUnicorns

DemonUnicorns
  • 591 posts

Posted November 16, 2017 - 12:31 AM

On the Edit Time Signature Marker for any measures you have that are 3/4, you need to checkmark the Set Time Signature box and set it to 3/4.

Edit: Wait I see that you did that. I don't really know what issue you are having without using the audio file for reference.

#3 sailingwhisper

sailingwhisper
  • 139 posts

Posted November 16, 2017 - 02:48 AM

The issue is in your BEAT track. The BEAT notes do not line up correctly.

#4 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 49 posts

Posted November 16, 2017 - 10:19 PM

The issue is in your BEAT track. The BEAT notes do not line up correctly.

Oh sh*t you're right! I tinkered with the tempo map too many times, I probably forgot to adjust the beat track. I'll test it tommorow - hopefully it works. This is holding back not the song but an entire Pavement 3-pack...

#5 mrcoupdetat

mrcoupdetat
  • 105 posts

Posted November 17, 2017 - 07:30 AM

I transformed all the notes to triplets (are you supposed to only use triplets when charting 3/4 songs? seems to work better), 

Triplets should only be used when triplets are actually played in the song. This is true whether your song is in 3/4, 4/4, 5/4, or whatever. 

#6 Farottone

Farottone

The Lean Mean Customs Charting Machine

• Administrator
  • 6,167 posts

Posted November 17, 2017 - 10:26 AM

Triplets should only be used when triplets are actually played in the song. This is true whether your song is in 3/4, 4/4, 5/4, or whatever. 

This is absolutely true however a triplet feel in 4/4 tempo will sound like a straight feel in 3/4 and viceversa, so a little bit of it depends on the time signature you use. Unless of course you know the correct time signature and use that, in which case it's either triplet or straight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users