Yaniv's workshop - Pulp "Different Class" 3-pack!

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#161 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 402 posts

Posted September 6, 2020 - 07:47 AM

Violent Femmes 3-Pack!

v0u2rEn.jpg

One of the most iconic tracks from the Violent Femmes legendary debut album, this brilliant song is a blast to play and sing across the board. It includes one of the Femmes most iconic moments - the famous counting bit from 1 to 10, which concludes with a blistering "10 IS FOR EVERYTHING EVERYTHING EVERYTHING EVERYTHING". (My personal favorite is "Eight, eight, I forgot what eight was for"). Anyway, if you know the band than you know how big this song is, and if you don't - give them a shot!

XthO2Zy.jpg

This might not be one of their most famous songs, but it's a personal favorite. From the legendary "Add it Up" compilation, "36-24-36" is a high tempo, straightforward rocker that will make you work hard across all instruments. The lyrics continue the "angry teenager" character, as our narrator tells us about his desires and fantasies to, well, have sex with a lot of hot woman. It's 2 minutes of brilliant rock and roll.

mXCKN3r.jpg

"I Held Her In My Arms" was one of the lead tracks from the Femmes third album, "The Blind Leading the Naked". But the version charted here is an earlier - and IMO, much superior - version from their "Add It Up" compilation. Coming up right after the blistering "36-24-36", I always used to group those songs together, so it's only fair to chart them together too!

"I Held Her In My Arms" has the typically angry Femmes vibe, with a huge blistering chorus, and this time with a saxophone too - including a pretty epic solo, charted to keys. It's an amazing song, so have fun with it!

Hope you like it!

Yaniv's Workshop - including all my work (hopefully) neatly organized

Spotify Playlist of all my releases

Notable Projects:

Bruce Springsteen Project - 11 classics from the Boss!

Journey Through the Past: A Neil Young 8-pack!

The National Homecoming Festival! Huge project featuring LOADS of tracks from the National, plus a bunch of openers!

11 Songs of Love... and One Song of Disappointment! Featuring Bruce Springsteen, R.E.M, Mac DeMarco and more!

Primavera Sound project: Day One, Day Two. Featuring The Cure, Talking Heads, Pavement and more!

Arcade Fire Project

WIP Thread

Hit me up if you wanna collab on any of those!

#162 rezavakili

rezavakili
  • 468 posts

Posted September 6, 2020 - 04:50 PM

I like it!! Thank you.

#163 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 402 posts

Posted September 12, 2020 - 08:02 AM

Frank Sinatra 3-Pack

Many, many thanks to BornGamerRob for doing vocals on all of those! This pack probably wouldn't have happened without you,

EgwEdv6.jpg

An all-time classic, the jazzy "Fly Me to the Moon" finds Sinatra at his best. Originally written by Bart Howard in 1954, Sinatra's version is often associated with the Apollo missions. It's also a lot of fun in the game, particularly singing (thanks Rob!) and the keys part that I'm really happy with, which includes pretty much the entire orchestra and brass arrangement.

lUGGdaK.jpg

Pretty sure this one needs no introducing. I was shocked it wasn't in the DB, and, well, somebody had to eventually do it... and now you can finally belt out this all-time classic at your living room.

oWHthKa.jpg

The last one on this pack is a classic duet from Sinatra and his daughter Nancy. Originally written by C. Carson Parks and recorded with his wife Gaile Foote, this is an all-time classic love songs and now you can play it along. Featuring some nice classical guitar playing, a full string arrangement on keys, and a surprisingly tricky harmony voice from Nancy Sinatra.

Notable Projects:

The National Homecoming Festival! Huge project featuring LOADS of tracks from the National, plus a bunch of openers!

11 Songs of Love... and One Song of Disappointment! Featuring Bruce Springsteen, R.E.M, Mac DeMarco and more!

Primavera Sound project: Day One, Day Two. Featuring The Cure, Talking Heads, Pavement and more!

Arcade Fire Project

WIP Thread

#164 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 402 posts

Posted September 12, 2020 - 08:03 AM

(accidental double post, ignore this)

Notable Projects:

Arcade Fire Project

WIP Thread

#165 MidnightRambler67

MidnightRambler67
  • 267 posts

Posted September 12, 2020 - 11:28 AM

Cant beat a good croon :clint:  a fantastic release  thanks Yaniv and everyone on the project    

#166 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 402 posts

Posted September 19, 2020 - 03:11 PM

Pulp's "Different Class" 3-Pack

Today we revisit some tracks from Pulp's 1994 masterpiece, "Different Class". Widely regarded as one of the best albums in the 90's, and a cornerstone of Britpop, this is a phenomenal album. Known for mega hits like "Common People" and "Disco 2000", but the rest of the tracks on this album are just as phenomenal.

8FX6mGi.jpg

"Sorted for E's and Wizz" is was the second single from the album, released as a double single with "Mis-Shapes" (previously charted by me). Based lyrically on a phrase that Cocker overheard at a rave, the song features lyrics examining the hollow and artificial nature of drug culture. Because of its subject matter, the song sparked controversy in the UK, where several tabloids attacked the song. It got it's live debut at Glastonbury festival - as frontman Jarvis Cocker said, "It just seemed like a totally appropriate place to play it for the first time". It's just a great, hugely affecting song.

OqgQxqx.jpg

Today we revisit some tracks from Pulp's 1994 masterpiece, "Different Class". Widely regarded as one of the best albums in the 90's, and a cornerstone of Britpop, this is a phenomenal album. Known for mega hits like "Common People" and "Disco 2000", but the rest of the tracks on this album are just as phenomenal.

"Underwear" is one of those classic Pulp tunes exploring sexuality, and the darker side of it. Jarvis Cocker said "This is about going home with someone, which seems like a good thing to do when you decide to do it. But when you get to the actual nitty-gritty, when you are actually standing in your underwear you think I can’t go through with this, but how do you get out of that situation".

It's a phenomenal, sexual and dark song that's even more relevant in today's MeToo society, as it explores the pressure on girls to "go along" with what they're started and their inability to regret and refuse: "Once it's underway, there's no escaping The fact that you're a girl and he's a boy". And it comes with a blistering performance from the band, and Cocker himself.

ElvumYv.jpg

"Bar Italia" is the album closer, and the final piece of the puzzle in "Different Class". It's like the characters of "Sorted for E's and Wizz" revisited a bit later - in the comedown stage. "Two sugars would be great - cause I'm fading fast and it's nearly dawn", sings Jarvis Cocker.

"Bar Italia" boasts a phenomenal, big and catchy chorus, full with feelings of paranoia and dread. "If we get through this alive, I'll meet you next week, same place, same time" - Cocker describes the inevitable outcome of another drug trip next week, assuming of course they survive this one. The final chorus do end on a more positive note - heavily implying the singer and his partner have decided to check in to a rehab place in Soho. Well, good luck.

Notable Projects:

Arcade Fire Project

WIP Thread

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users