Yaniv's workshop - Arcade Fire 9-Pack for C3X!

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#101 MrPrezident

MrPrezident

C3U Moderator

• 892 posts

Posted August 1, 2018 - 11:36 PM

Happy to be a part of this pack, but you certainly did all the hard work.  I am sure these will get played a lot with my group.  Thanks!

FORUM THREAD  /  MY CUSTOMS -  Everything from ABBA to XTC

p89ZznR.png KhDyqmU.png

#102 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 189 posts

Posted August 2, 2018 - 08:49 AM

Happy to be a part of this pack, but you certainly did all the hard work.  I am sure these will get played a lot with my group.  Thanks!

Thanks for your contributions! A lot of hard work, but wouldn't say all of it - I don't think those harmonies in "Winterlong" were so easy to chart...

Your work is awesome, I recommend anyone to give your songs a try because they clearly are the result of hard work.

Thank you Farottone! Very high praise coming from you :)

#103 rcale

rcale
  • 404 posts

Posted August 4, 2018 - 08:45 AM

Thanks for the Neil Young songs. 'Revolution Blues ' looks great fun for us plastic bassists!

#104 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 189 posts

Posted September 21, 2018 - 08:47 PM

So it's been quiet lately, but not because I haven't been working. In fact, I'm sitting now of a somewhat astonishing amount of finished customs (26 in my last count) - all saved for some really epic C3X tour dates.

So now the journey finally begins, I'm glad to present my first contribution: 

Together with the great ejthedj - David Bowie's Heroes! The original, full version.

RQJaTV8.jpg

How can you begin to describe a classic like “Heroes”? For all of Bowie’s amazing works, this is the one that always stood out for me. The title track of his 1977’s album, written and recorded in Berlin, “Heroes” is an epic, emotional masterpiece about a (possibly gay) love story, with the Berlin Wall standing between the two lovers. It is groundbreaking and genius in almost every way – from Tony Visconti’s extremely creative production, Brian Eno’s synthesizers and effects, to Robert Fripp’s unique use of guitar feedback, and Bowie’s himself gave one of the best vocal performances of his lifetime.

Since his release, “Heroes” was widely regarded as Bowie’s best work, or close to it. It made countless ‘best songs ever’ lists, used in lots of movies and TV shows, covered by countless artists (from Coldplay to Depeche Mode, to King Crimson and Motorhead), it’s been adopted by Bowie’s himself as a staple of his live shows, usually as the set closer, and it’s currently Bowie’s most streamed song on Spotify – ahead of his many other hits. It’s been a staple of popular music ever since the song was released.

A pretty-weird cover version of “Heroes” (or actually, the single cut of the song) was released as early RB1 DLC, but now you finally get to play the original, full song, in all it’s 6-minutes epic glory, and join Bowie himself in delivering those classic lines. All instruments are varied and fun to play, and we’re sure you’ll enjoy playing this absolutely classic tune in his original and best version.

That custom is mostly the work of ejthedj - I've only done tempo map and drums, and went through the other charts.

Video preview:

We're aware of some vocal issues, they will be fixed soon.

Thanks, and get ready for many more to come - and earlier than you might think!

#105 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 189 posts

Posted September 25, 2018 - 03:24 AM

So, a 5-pack from one artist coming to C3X this Friday! Plus another additional single of mine, and many more others.

Go to the trivia thread to try and guess the artist and songs:

http://customscreato...st-leg-1-week-2

Please note, those pictures don't necessarily represent the song title (actually, only two of them does) but might represent a prominent line from the song. Might be a hook, opening line, or memorable from any other reason.

#106 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 189 posts

Posted October 1, 2018 - 01:04 PM

28.9 - PJ Harvey 5-Pack and a Camera Obscura single!

I'm very glad to present my first major contribution to a C3X tour date!

So here she is, making her long-overdue RB doubt, one of the best, most consistent, creative and brilliant artists of the last 30 years – PJ Harvey. This modest 5-pack isn’t nearly enough to showcase all her brilliant work, and many of her best moments (from the stellar punky ‘Rid of Me’ to the 2011 political masterpiece ‘Let England Shake’) aren’t represented, but it’s surely a good introduction to her dark and brilliant work, with three of her own songs, and two very high profile duets.

PJ Harvey and Friends 5-pack:

CsnJLFL.jpg

1995’s “Down by the Water” was PJ’s breakthrough the mainstream, and a surprise hit. The song reached number 2 on Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks chart and received extensive rotation on MTV and college radio stations. Which was quite a surprise, seeing how it’s a fairly dark ballad about a mother murdering her own daughter. It’s very blues influenced, but at the same time quite modern with synthesizers and electronic instruments, and no guitars. Based on a great drums and synth-bass groove, it also includes some great call-and-response backing vocals, some great keys parts and a dramatic conclusion.

LKtZA4T.jpg

Yet another single from the same album, “C’mon Billy” never quite reached the success of “Down by the Water”, but it’s still a brilliant, fun song. Based on a classical guitar and a snare groove (no, I did not forgot the disco flip event – it’s all snare really, and accents are played on yellow), and a string arrangement (faithfully charted to keys), but the real star of the show is PJ herself – delivering a brilliant, desperate vocal performance, that by the end will have you jumping up and down octaves at will.

gJ7L6cN.jpg

The 2000 album “Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea” is to this day, PJ’s most direct, mainstream work. It shows that when she wants, she can deliver a rock album as solid and rocking as anyone else. And “Big Exit” opens this album in this exact same spirit – simply speaking, it’s quite a banger! Kicks off with a guitar and keys riff, with bass strategically dropping in and out of the song and a relentless drum beat, it’s the most rocking song in this pack. And PJ herself, as always, is brilliant and delivers the big chorus with so much passion. Just a great song (and hopefully a great custom) all around.

Now, time for the duets:

VTQSAXE.jpg

According to PJ, she was always fascinated by the idea of having someone else sing on her records. “The Mess We’re In” was written by Harvey with quite a specific voice in her mind – Radiohead’s singer Thom Yorke, who she met in 1992 and kept in touch since. Yorke’s own band, Radiohead, at that time we’re quite busy neglecting guitar for their electronic, brilliant but polarizing “Kid A” (their best album IMO, but that’s a different discussion). But thankfully Yorke could still recognize a great rock song when he hears one, and he took a break from the bleeps-and-bloops to deliver a straight forward rock vocal performance, with some signature falsetto in the chorus. The result is an absolute charming, romantic breakup duet, with PJ taking the backseat on her own song and allowing Yorke to take the lead.

5GTRkhf.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdd5e-cgaC4

For a short while in 1995-1996, Nick Cave and PJ Harvey were the power couple of alternative rock. Both extremely talented songwriters of dark blues, rock and gospel, with much more sex and violence than usually found in those genres – it made too much sense. That relationship didn’t last too long (the breakup and the aftermath are all over Cave’s next album, “The Boatman’s Call”), but it did produce one musical souvenir: the deadly duet “Henry Lee”.

Taken from Cave’s “Murder Ballads” album., “Henry Lee” is the due’s take on the traditional folk ballad ‘Young Hunting’.  While the cover to the single presented the due kissing passionately, the actual content of the song is a lot less romantic – it features Henry Lee (sung by Cave) rejecting Harvey’s unnamed character for another girl (who he ‘loves far better than thee’), and than Harvey murdering Lee in revenge by throwing him down the well. It’s a brilliant song musically, and an amazing duet to sing, with Cave and Harvey trading verses and harmonizing in the chorus. It’s been a fan favorite for years, and my personal favorite from this bunch.

And another kickass single:

u6W97Wc.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7UhK18IQPA

Lead by the brilliant singer-songwriter Tracyanne Campbell, Scottish band Camera Obscura has been one of indie music lesser known secrets for years. “Lloyd, I’m Ready to be Heartbroken” is the opening track and lead single from their highly-acclaimed 2006 album “Let’s Get Out of this Country”, and simply speaking, it’s indie-pop perfection. A reply song to Lloyd Cole’s 1984 (also brilliant) tune “Are You Ready to be Heartbroken?” (hence the unusual title), “Lloyd” kicks off with some beautiful organ, and than goes into an ultra-catchy guitar riff. The song itself is brilliantly written, touching and the chorus is huge and fun to sing along to, along with some great harmony lines. It’s not hugely well known, but if you like indie pop or rock, I highly recommend giving it a try.

Please note: all songs were updated from the original uploads on Friday, with some bugs and mistakes fixing (most notably - the first verse of 'Big Exit' is now fixed to be talkies and not pitched). So I highly recommend redownloading the songs if you already have them.

Thanks, and see you next time!

#107 rcale

rcale
  • 404 posts

Posted October 1, 2018 - 06:12 PM

Bravo. Great choice to bring PJ Harvey to us lucky players. Ive not heard a single thing she has done that isnt at the very least interesting. Much appreciated!

#108 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 189 posts

Posted October 12, 2018 - 04:13 PM

arcade-fire-79351a05-7e6b-4c03-ae62-6226

Yaniv297 writes...

So, after all those magnificent Canadian opening acts opened up our evening, it’s time to clear the stage for one of Canada’s biggest and best rock bands: the Grammy-winning, critically acclaimed and brilliant:

Arcade Fire

The Canadian hmm, sextet (well they currently have 6 members) broke into our lives in 2004 with the masterful “Funeral”, widely considered a masterpiece, and one of the best albums of the decade, and have since released 4 more albums (which will all be represented in RB after this release), headlined just about every festival imaginable, and have left a huge mark on rock music. They already have a few songs on our DB - I’ll mention them below - but now they’re getting a major, career-spanning 9-pack, which means we’ll have cover for most of their classic tracks and anthems. We’ll do this in chronological order, by albums… So, here we go!

Funeral (2004)

Out of nowhere, back in 2004, a married couple and a bunch of weird Canadian dudes broke into our lives with this impeccable and astounding masterpiece. “Funeral” was a defining moment in indie rock, not only according to critics (best album of the decade according to LAS Magazine and Under the Rader, #2 at Pitchfork and Consequence of Sound, #3 at Paste and Popmatters, and many more) but mostly according to fans who keep coming back to it, and the countless bands it influenced.

Before today we only had one track from this great album - Ollie’s version of the great ‘Rebellion (Lies)’ - which was definitely not enough. So, today we bring you 5 (!) further tracks from this masterpiece.

dEfQain.jpg

Custom by agaed
Vocals by yaniv297

They say you should start strongly, but I honestly can’t think of a band who started their debut album as strongly as Arcade Fire. I’ll use a lot of superlatives in this post, but here’s a definite one - in this narrator’s humble opinion, this is Arcade Fire’s best song. Not only that, but one of the best songs of the decade and pretty much my whole life. There’s just something about it - I don’t know, man. It’s something else.

Introduced by some piano, into an iconic guitar riff, “Neighbourhood #1” (or as it’s known among fans, “Tunnels”), kicks off with ‘And’ - as if to symbolizes we’re in the middle of a story - and than takes you into a journey into childhood, filled with infectious guitar riffs, groovy beats, and a brilliant, emotional delivery by singer Win Butler, before finishing in some climatic “oh oh oh”s. It translates perfectly into an RB, with all instruments being fun and varied, and overall it’s just a damn great custom and song.

WxaVpol.jpg

Custom by yaniv297

How do you follow one of the best album openers in history? Well, Arcade Fire did perfectly. The second in the Neighbourhood series, “Laika” is “Tunnels” quirky, weird little brother. Not quite as anthemic or stadium-ready (even though it’s damn great live), it’s an addictive, fun and peculiar song about a brother leaving the family going out on an adventure, which involves some weird stuff like being bitten by a vampire. Kicks off with a great drum beat, it has ultra tight rhythm section, accordion and strings charted to keys, and it’s fun all around - especially to sing (or rather, scream) along - “Alexander! Our oldest brother!”. It’s just addictive, trust me.

nkUpOmB.jpg

Custom by MrBurpler
Vocals by yaniv297

In episode three of our Neighbourhood series (#4 is on the album too, but wouldn’t be a great RB fit so isn’t charted here), this time we tell the story of an unfortunate power shortage in our town. “Power Out” is an epic, powerful and relentless track - and an absolute showstopper live. It kicks up firing on all cylinders, with a driving disco beat (drummers, prepare to work on that one!) and firing guitars, while later bass takes the lead in a fuzzy riff. Vocalist Win Butler absolutely spits out the stressful lyrics - “What’s the plan??” he screams as he describes as he goes out to “pick a fight with anyone”, before screaming in an iconic moment “Nothing’s hid from us kids!”.

Somehow, the song reaches it’s emotional climax when taking a step back to a melodic chorus, “when the power’s out in the heart of man”, before exploding into full on rock and roll madness again. A classic moment in Arcade Fire’s discography.

ol9tlbV.jpg

Custom by Kamtoch
Vocals and keys by yaniv297

When talking about Arcade Fire, the word “anthemic” is used often. Maybe it’s the U2 and Springsteen influences, but even as an unknown low budget band, Arcade Fire always aimed for a huge sound. But nothing, nothing in this album or the band’s career is as anthemic as the show-stopping, unique “Wake Up”. This is the show closer, the climax. Everything - from the opening guitar chords, to the bass-snare beat, to those huge soaring “oh oh oh”s - just screams big stadiums. Lyrics are sparse, each word counts, as Butler pleads: “Children, wake up”, before the song takes a surprising key change and ends on a double-pace, playful outro. The song made a big impact - it was used by U2 as a concert opener as early as 2005, and the band played the song with none other than David Bowie the same year. It also makes a rather brilliant custom - I’m sure you’ll have fun playing and singing along to this amazing tune.

R37xjTx.jpg

Custom by yaniv297

So how do you finish an album where pretty much every single song packs a huge emotional sucker punch? well, by the biggest emotional sucker punch of them all. “In the Backseat” sees Win Butler’s wife and bandmate, Régine Chassagne, takes the lead vocals, as she tells the breaking tale of her mother dying in a car crash and the impact it had on her life. This song starts as a tender piano ballad, but in typical Arcade Fire fashion includes a big chorus, and ultimately finishes on a beautiful, amazingly powerful instrumental outro, with Régine delivering some of the most powerful “oh oh”s you’ll hear in your life, over a repeated strings melody and some driving drums and bass. It’s a unique and absolutely beautiful track, and a worthy closer to such an album.

Neon Bible (2007)

Following such a perfect album is never easy, and while I won’t claim “Neon Bible” is as good as “Funeral” - it’s still a worthy follow up. And at it’s best moments, it’s as good as the monstrous album it followed. One of those best moments, emotional closer “My Body is a Cage”, was already charted by the great BornGamerRob. And two more of those best moments are released today:

zjdI0D1.jpg

Custom by yaniv297

Starts with a church organ and an acoustic guitar, “Intervention” is a dark, cathartic and beautiful ballad, that (as is tradition) grows into a big emotional climax. It’s an ambitious tale of a soldier, fighting for his country, while also being an anti-religion tune. Naturally the main focus here is on the vocals, as the song builds from acoustic to full band, but all instruments are fun and great to play along. And if you sing, make sure you give your all on the big “working for the church while your life falls apart!” line.

JNvdZ87.jpg

Custom by Kamtoch

Originally recorded for their debut EP, “No Cars Go” is a joyous, upbeat and great anthem, of late-night escapism from a world dominated by cars and planes. ”No Cars Go” is a huge fan favorite and brilliant live song, and for a good reason. Led by a driven drum beat and accordion line, with great energy before exploding into a soaring climax, “No Cars Go” is a musical celebration of everything that’s good about Arcade Fire. And it promises to be an absolute blast on Rock Band as well.

The Suburbs (2010)

Time for the next one, the ambitious, great concept album “The Suburbs”. Regarded by many as another masterpiece, the album was critically acclaimed upon release and it’s a huge fan favorite. The title track, “The Suburbs” is already in our DB thanks to MrBurpler, who contributes here yet another great song:

WvNsRMx.jpg

Custom by MrBurpler

“Sprawl II” is a key track, and possibly the best track, in “The Subrubs”. Soundwise, it’s quite an unusual departure from Arcade Fire’s usual indie rock sound, taking a strong synthpop direction, and vocally led by the great Régine Chassagne. “Sprawl II” is a hugely emotional tune, discussing suburban life, and the difficulties of growing up in it. It became an instant fan favorite, a necessity on every Arcade Fire show, and widely regarded as one of Arcade Fire’s best songs.

Reflektor (2013)

This ambitious, dancy double album isn’t represented in today’s pack - however, make sure you check out Hotfuzz’s three pack of “Reflektor”, “We Exist” and “Flashbulb Eyes”!

Everything Now (2017)

I’m not going to sugarcoat it, “Everything Now” probably wasn’t a great period for Arcade Fire. After a lot of hype, the album was widely seen as a disappointment and as the first major misstep in their career. And the satirical promotion campaign (which among others, including a satirical article about an “Arcade Fire: Rock Band” game - now if only…) wasn’t well received either, with many thinking it’s not as smart as it think it is. But even in their lowest moment, Arcade Fire could still deliver some absolutely great songs, and one of them is right here:

TXRH9pK.jpg
Custom by yaniv297

As soon as I knew an Arcade Fire pack was happening, I had to get this tune in there somewhere. It’s probably not as big as the others, but honestly I spent the better part of last summer with this song stuck in my head and singing it with my (even more Arcade Fire obsessed than me) brother.
“Put Your Money On Me” is widely seen as a highlight and probably the best song of “Everything Now”. A catchy disco tune, which eventually evolves into an ABBA-style, infectious chorus with a three-part harmony. It’s been released as a late single and exceeded expectations, and it’s surely one huge positive spot in this era for Arcade Fire.

Setlist suggestion

So you have all those cool Arcade Fire tunes now, what do you do with them? Well, I’m here to help! This is a setlist I built, based on real life Arcade Fire setlists (mostly from the last two tours), and adjusted to the songs we have here in RB.
Kick off with the epic ‘Reflektor’ into the soaring ‘Laika’ and an early anthem in ‘No Cars Go’. Things get emotional in the middle, with ‘Intervention’ into ‘My Body is a Cage’, before treating your audience with two singalong anthems in ‘Tunnels’ and ‘The Suburbs’. Get into some disco groove with ‘We Exist’ into ‘Sprawl II’, before finishing the main set with the legendary one-two punch of ‘Rebellion (Lies) into ‘Power Out’ (It’s a shame we can’t connect the songs here like they do in real concerts…). Take a few minutes rest as the audience applauds, before breaking their hearts with ‘In the Backseat’, and finishing off with the most classic Arcade Fire show closer, the cathartic and huge anthem ‘Wake Up’.

Play this setlist for the ultimate Arcade Fire RB experience!

• Reflektor
  • Neighborhood #2 (Laika)
  • Flashbulb Eyes
  • No Cars Go
  • Put Your Money On Me
  • Intervention
  • My Body is a Cage
  • Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
  • The Suburbs
  • We Exist
  • Sprawl
  • Rebellion (Lies)
  • Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)

Encore:

• In the Backseat
  • Wake Up

And most importantly, have fun!

#109 frigginelvis

frigginelvis
  • 69 posts

Posted October 12, 2018 - 04:55 PM

Holy crap. THANK YOU for all the hard work. 15 Arcade Fire songs are now available. I might not be able to wait until the normal Saturday Night drinking and Rock Band sesh to belt these out.

#110 k-mac

k-mac
  • 249 posts

Posted October 12, 2018 - 06:18 PM

Thank you so much for spearheading this amazing pack!  Arcade Fire is one of the great modern bands.  Even though Everything Now is probably their worst album, I still love half the songs on it, so big thanks for doing Put Your Money on Me!  I see Everything Now in your WIP list so I'm super excited for that one eventually.  It's fantastic to see Funeral finally get the love it deserves.  Amazing effort by all authors involved!

#111 Derekô

Derekô
  • 89 posts

Posted October 12, 2018 - 08:07 PM

I don't post a lot these days but I had to jump in and voice the appreciation for that Arcade Fire pack.  Thanks a ton, friends.  You are good people.

OM2uucL.png

#112 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 189 posts

Posted October 13, 2018 - 09:39 AM

Thanks everyone!

Thank you so much for spearheading this amazing pack!  Arcade Fire is one of the great modern bands.  Even though Everything Now is probably their worst album, I still love half the songs on it, so big thanks for doing Put Your Money on Me!  I see Everything Now in your WIP list so I'm super excited for that one eventually.  It's fantastic to see Funeral finally get the love it deserves.  Amazing effort by all authors involved!

Happy to read that - I did 'Put Your Money' mostly because me and my brother couldn't stop singing it all summer, so we might as well do it in the game. But happy to see people appriciate it among all the big tunes.

Also, I've made a playlist of all preview videos, here it is:

https://www.youtube....lR6sSdCrLJbOSGy

The videos show keys instead of pro keys, but rest assured pro keys charts are there and they're great.

Now for Arcade Fire. I came across Funeral years ago back in high school, coincidentally around the time of a funeral in my actual life following the death of an immediate family member. So I found not just an indie rock classic but an album that so perfectly captured the range of somber emotion that was defining my life (and my family's lives) around that time. That's of course because it was honest, they were feeling the same when making the record. I fell in love with their other music too. Sprawl II became my favorite song of theirs and I'm so happy to see it in the game now.

Last month I had the unbelievable experience of seeing the band play the album live from start to finish. I had put the albums aside in recent but the show completely rekindled my love for their music, the ones that meant a lot to me and the ones that were just fun. This pack could not have come at a better time. Thank you very much.

Thanks! Reading this made my day. Glad to see those songs mean as much to other people here. "Sprawl II" was almost a last minute addition, me and Burpler were just talking about how amazing it is and needs to be in this pack, so we sneaked it in a few weeks ago. Hope you'll like the custom.

And I envy you so much for being at that Funeral show - my jaw literally dropped when I saw this setlist. Sounds like a dream.

Happy birthday! And big thanks for everyone's hard work to pull the Arcade Fire pack together. Love the suggested setlist idea too.

Thanks! I'm kind of a setlist obsessive so it was easy... I mostly followed the last tour template, but obviously we didn't have most of the new tracks, including opener "Everything Now", so I used the opener from last tour, "Reflektor". Other than that we're still missing a few staples (notably "Ready to Start" and "Afterlife"), and we have a few songs that the band rarely plays ("Flashbulb Eyes" "In the Backseat") so I just stuck them were they made sense to me. But I do think it's fairly close to an actual Arcade Fire setlist.

Also, I've made a playlist of all preview videos, here it is:

https://www.youtube....lR6sSdCrLJbOSGy

The videos show keys instead of pro keys, but rest assured pro keys charts are there and they're great.

Oh and happy birthday Prez! Hope you and your wife likes this pack!

#113 kueller

kueller
  • 90 posts

Posted Yesterday

Thanks! Reading this made my day. Glad to see those songs mean as much to other people here. "Sprawl II" was almost a last minute addition, me and Burpler were just talking about how amazing it is and needs to be in this pack, so we sneaked it in a few weeks ago. Hope you'll like the custom.
And I envy you so much for being at that Funeral show - my jaw literally dropped when I saw this setlist. Sounds like a dream.

Hey if you didn't add it yourself I would have done it eventually myself, but not any time soon so for the sake of everyone thanks for making that last minute addition.

I didn't know they were doing a Funeral show until 3 minutes before it actually began. Needless to say I got crazy emotional when Tunnels started because I couldn't believe it until the first notes came.
no

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users