Yaniv's workshop - 11 Songs of Love… and One Song of Disappointment!

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 250 posts

Posted October 15, 2017 - 05:48 PM

2.14 - 11 Songs of Love… and One Song of Disappointment!

A Valentine’s Day pack… with a slight twist.

So let’s start with the songs of love… because of the wall of text, each one of those have a short description, along with a longer one if you’re interested.

Note: some preview videos show errors that were fixed in the final version. 

rYxqoyj.jpg

TL;DR - A kickass, female-fronted rock tune, with strong 70’s vibes, brilliant vocals, great drum fills and a nice twin-guitars solo at the end.

If you liked indie music in 2016, you probably didn’t miss Angel Olsen’s album “My Woman”, one of the best and the most acclaimed records of that year. Olsen is influenced by 70’s rock and folk, the like of Fleetwood Mac and Neil Young, and she’s a great songwriter. “Shut Up Kiss Me” is pretty much pop-rock perfection - a kickass tune, a love song with a hint of aggression (as the title implies), it’s so cool and also emotional at the same time. Instruments are all pretty fun - lots of drum fills, cool guitar solo at the end - and it’s a great one to sing along to.

7zStVws.jpg

TL;DR - A romantic moment from the iconic indie slacker, “My Kind of Woman” is a touching love ballad that’s also really fun to play, featuring Mac’s signature guitar playing.

If you like indie music, you’ve definitely heard of Mac DeMarco. Combining a goofball public persona with a distinctive songwriting style and production sound, the Canadian rose to the higher reaches of indie fame unexpectedly quickly. While his image projected a charmingly laid-back slacker prone to occasional antics but never taking anything too seriously, his songs ironically often hid mature themes like aging, commitment, and morals under layers of chorus and reverb. “My Kind of Woman” is, in my humble opinion, his best song. A gentle, touching and ultra-relatable love ballad, that’s also brilliant to play in Rock Band and fun in all instruments

bBraoa4.jpg

TL;DR - Dark alternative country masters 16 Horsepower offers a fresh and surprising take on a lost Bob Dylan tune.

16 Horsepower are one of those small, unknown gems that will blow your mind. The Denver-based alternative country band made its name with music that combined rural backwoods kitsch with edgy, off-kilter country-rock, often with a dark twist, similar to Nick Cave or the Gun Club. Certainly not an obvious fit for a Valentine Day’s pack. But nevertheless, their classic album “Secret South” includes, among all the dark country tales, this sweet gem - a brilliant cover of Bob Dylan’s “Nobody ‘Cept You”, which wasn’t included in any of his albums (but released as a part of the “bootleg series”).

16 Horsepower completely transformed this song, and made it into this huge, positive love anthem. Frontman David Eugene Edwards is also known as a devoted christian, which leaves the song open to interpretation - is it a love song to a woman, or to God/Jesus - but than again, that’s part of the charm. It’s a great addictive tune, I’ve had a lot of fun working on it and I’m sure you’ll enjoy it too.

uWPv5ol.jpg

TL;DR - Brit-pop master Suede delivers an epic, grandiose and absolutely beautiful love ballad that’s an absolute joy to play on any instrument, with a particularly awesome guitar track.

In my humble and somewhat controversial opinion, Suede were the best britpop band of the 90’s. The brilliant British band fused glam decadence with dark romanticism, and left us with a few unforgettable albums. “Dog Man Star” probably sits on top of that list - it’s among my top 20 albums ever. And this is the first song to off this great album to be released in RB - and if it’s up to me, definitely not the last!

“The Wild Ones” is a particularly epic and beautiful love song from that record, and considered a favourite among fan. Singer Brett Anderson has said on numerous occasions that he regards this song as not only the high-water mark of his writing partnership with Bernard Butler, but his favourite of all Suede songs. It’s a song of absolute beauty.

But even more, it’s an amazing custom. My personal favorite of this pack - it’s really one of those “shine on every instrument” song. Just look at the preview video! Guitar has almost constant beautiful licks and riffs, bass is melodic and great, lots of drum fills, and the melody is amazing to sing. There’s even a great harmony voice too! Seriously, check this one out.

dbqqRe8.jpg

TL;DR - The beautiful baritone voice of Richard Hawley, reminiscent of Scott Walker and Frank Sinatra, delivers an upbeat, beautiful and uplifting romantic anthem.

With a melodic baritone anguish that falls somewhere in the neighborhood of Scott Walker and Frank Sinatra, Pulp touring guitarist and former Longpigs member Richard Hawley is a songwriter, guitarist, and producer whose responsible for a line of beautiful and critically acclaimed solo albums. He has been nominated several times for the Mercury Prize as well as a Brit Award, and collaborated with the likes of Arctic Monkeys, Manic Street Preachers, Elbow, and Paul Weller, among others.

‘Tonight the Streets are Ours” is among his finest moments, a beautiful, elegant and uplifting romantic anthem, with a slight Christmas-like feel. It was chosen as the title track for the Oscar nominated 2010 Banksy film “Exit Through the Gift Shop”, and now it marks Hawley’s RB debut - it’s a joy to sing and play on any instrument.

AEMx8cy.jpg

Preview Video (Note: the video includes an issue with the harmonies in the chorus, it is fixed in the final version).

TL;DR - A beautiful piano ballad reminiscent of the Beach Boys, it was named “the most romantic song I’ve ever written” by singer Michael Stipe.

Legendary band R.E.M. surely needs no introducing. This particular song comes from their 1998 album “Up”. The chord progression reminded the band of the Beach Boys, and songwriter Michael Stipe, whose used to write more cynical or “clever” lyrics, has challenged himself to be “fearless” and write a straightforward, honest love song. It wasn’t an easy task - he came up with the opening line (“I found a way to make you smile” - another homage to the Beach Boys “Smile”), but it took him an entire year to write another lyric for the song, as he struggled to follow up the line.

Once he did, it was delightful - “At My Most Beautiful” is a honest, romantic and well, beautiful song - unlike anything he’s ever written. Musically, instead of shying away from the Beach Boys influenced, the band embraced it, by making a Pet Sounds style arrangement, including some famous harmonies. It’s just an absolutely lovely song, and while some of the charts are kinda basic, I’m sure key players, singers and anyone who likes R.E.M. will enjoy this custom.

yoL2Oib.jpg

TL;DR - a sweet britpop anthem about fate and the randomness of meeting your romantic partner.

Britpop legends Pulp with yet another hit from their legendary 1995 album “Different Class”. After “Common People”, “Mis-Shapes” and “Disco 2000” - “Something Changed” is a lovely, romantic tune about fate and how our life would be entirely different if not for random events. What would happen if you’ve never met the love of your life? “I could have stayed at home and gone to bed/
I could have gone to see a film instead/You might have changed your mind and seen your friend” - and everything would have been different.

Musically it’s just a sweet song, great strings charted to kiss, nice guitars and drums, and a joy to sing. A lovely tune and a great fit for Valentine’s Day.

4OUNz4O.jpg

TL;DR - Arctic Monkeys frontman Alex Turner delivers a dramatic, old-school 50’s-style love ballad, with a brilliant vocal performance and great arrangement.

I don’t even like the Arctic Monkeys that much. I don’t listen to their albums, I’ve seen them live once and I was pretty bored. So Alex Turner doing a big, ambitious Sinatra-like 50’s love ballad? Sounds like exactly something I’ll hate. But this song is so damn good, it broke into my heart and stayed there.

The Last Shadow Puppets are the side project of Turner and Miles Kane - though in this particular track, Kane isn’t really doing much, it’s all Turner. In my opinion, they’re a hundred time better and more interesting than the Arctic Monkeys. “Sweet Dreams, T. N.” is the pineapple of their latest album, “Everything That You’ve Come to Expect”, and in my humble opinion, the best song Alex Turner ever wrote. And he delivers it with a huge vocal performance that shows his great singing qualities. Instruments are all great, maybe other than guitar which is repetitive - but drums are full of marching beats and snare rolls, bass is melodic and keys include an entire string arrangement. It’s a gem of a song and hopefully a great custom!

TL;DR - A huge festival anthem from Elbow, a bright, beautiful, optimistic love song with a tricky drums pattern and an Hey-Jude style singalong at the end.

The Manchester-based alternative band is known for their socially relevant lyrics, steeped in the British experience, over atmospheric, epic rock. But “One Day Like This” is different - it’s one of those special, just plain beautiful and happy songs. It’s shamelessly huge and anthemic, it’s been made for stadium singalongs - and it just nails it. If you’ve been to an Elbow concert, you know this song is always a special moment.
It starts off as a beautiful, optimistic and uplifting tune, with dominant strings echoing Guy Garvey’s voice, who repeatedly sings “It’s going to be a beautiful day”. The song explodes and builds, with Garvey famous “Holy cow I love your eyes” line, before becoming a huge, Hey-Jude like repeated singalong of the outro. It’s fun to play and quite tricky on drums (no it’s not overcharted - check out live performances of the song to see the drums) and great on most instruments. And of course, to sing along!

xgLPAgv.jpg

TL;DR - Folk lost legend Nick Drake, possibly the man with the most beautiful voice in music history, with this beautiful romantic masterpiece, with some insane piano by John Cale.

Nick Drake is one of the saddest stories in musical history. The genius guitarist and songwriter, with an unbelievably beautiful voice, was also a shy, quite men who suffered from depression and possibly schizophrenia. He died at the age of 26 from an overdose of antidepressant, still unclear if by suicide or accident, a complete unknown with his 3 records all complete flops. His music was somehow discovered after his death, at first by other musicians (The Cure were actually named after one of his lyrics), and slowly gained popularity. He’s now regarded as a folk legend, and his three albums are all regarded as masterpieces - particularly his last, “Pink Moon”, which is my 4th favorite record of all time.

Most of Drake’s songs were solo acoustic pieces, sometimes with strings or a piano, and would not work in RB. However, his second record “Bryter Layter” was a full band effort, and this is where this gem is for. “Northern Sky” is an absolutely beautiful, heartwarming love song. It was described by NME’s magazine as the “greatest English love song of modern times”. Lead by Drake’s beautiful voice and guitar, it is produced by Velvet Underground legend John Cale, who also added a brilliant piano part - which means keys on this custom are brilliant (and were very difficult to chart!). Drums and bass are also entertaining and more complex than they seem.

Honestly, this is the one song that made me start this whole project. It’s a magical song from a magical artist that deserved to be in RB. Hopefully my custom does it justice.

0EkQkXz.jpg

TL;DR - A Springsteen classic, originally written by Tom Waits, and a beautiful love ballad with entertaining instruments by the legendary E-Street Band.

It’s weird when two of your favorite musicians collide, but sometimes it yields wonderful results. “Jersey Girl” was a Tom Waits song on his 1979 album “Heartattack and Vine”. But you’ll be forgiven if you didn’t know that - because Springsteen’s version has completely taken over the original, and with his association with New Jersey, many people are shocked to learn it’s not a Springsteen original. This, despite the fact that Springsteen never recorded it in the studio - it was only played live. The 1981 performance from New Jersey was chosen to close the live triple-album, “Live 1975-85”, is the only version Springsteen ever officially released, and is the one charted here (complete with crowd cheering for every mention of New Jersey).

The song is an absolutely beautiful romantic ballad. Springsteen’s version has added additional verses, where the love interest is revealed to be an hard-working single mother, which ties in to his usual interest in the working class. The E-Street Band performs it beautifully, and with 2 guitars and 2 key players, charts are varied and fun to play. And of course, enjoy singing this classic tune!

So that’s it! 21 beautiful, sweet and romantic love songs were performed. But I kept thinking… what about all the singles here? What about the ones who currently can’t relate to this sickeningly-sweet celebration of love? And besides, I promised one song of disappointment, didn’t I? So step forward…

VGb6yn5.jpg

TL;DR - Nick Cave’s noisier, garage side project deliver an amusing and yet relatable song of sexual frustration and rejection, with the most ridiculous guitar chart I’ve ever done.

Grinderman are Nick Cave dirty, experimental and noisier side-project. With heavily noise-based, mostly improvised song, this is Cave recapturing his early wild trouble-maker self. They’ve released two brilliant albums, but “No Pussy Blues” is probably the single most representative tune of what they’re all about.

A noisy song about sexual frustration (as the title implies), it tells the tale of the narrator’s attempts to convince a girl to have sex with him - which includes, but aren’t limited to doing her dishes, writing her songs, cursing her and even “petting her revolting little chihuahua” - only to be told, time after time, that she “simply didn’t want to”. It’s a song full of humor, but also probably quite relatable to many. Musically, it’s lead by a bass and drums groove, before exploding into huge, noisy instrumental sections, with extreme guitar noise, here charted as a solo - which makes it quite a ridiculous, and extremely difficult, guitar chart. It’s probably the weirdest and most out-there custom I’ve done - and I’ve enjoyed every minute of it.

So that's it! We hope you've enjoyed tonight's show! Have a great Valentine's Day, and see you next time!

26.1 - Nick Cave 6-Pack!

GettyImages-873865884-920x584.jpg

So what do Arctic Monkeys, Metallica, Harry Potter and the rest from that hint have in common? That’s right, Nick Cave. The Australian legend, “the prince of darkness”, a master songwriter and performer, is already 61, but he’s at the heights of his power. His latest album, “Skeleton Tree”, influenced by the tragedy of losing his son, his regarded one of his best. He finished a big arena tour, played huge spots in festivals all over the world, to great response, and is currently at the middle of a “Conversations” tour – intimate solo shows where he answers questions from the audience.

This pack will follow him at three key albums through his career, chronologically, presenting two classics from each. Here we go:

Since we’ll do it chronologically, as an introduction of his early stuff, here’s the 1990 love anthem “The Ship Song”, which I’ve charted a long time ago.

Letlovein.jpg

ALBUM ONE: Let Love In (1994)

This is my 5th favorite album of all time . It’s just a complete masterpiece. Those songs I’ve chosen here aren’t even the best in the album – neither would make my top 3 – but they were chosen because of the best fit to RB, and most well known. But honestly, just listen to that record, it’s special.

qutcrxY.jpg

We’ll start with possibly the deepest cut in this pack. “Loverman” is Cave at his heaviest and darkest – but with a wry twist of black humor, as always. It was heavy enough to inspire Metallica to cover it – a nice gesture, even though their version is IMO nowhere near the original. Kicking from a classic opening declaration from Cave: “There’s a devil waiting outside your door”, the song unfolds the story of the “Loverman”, who is some kind of sexual predator, stalker, possibly a rapist: “I’ve got a masterplan, to take off your dress and be your man”… It’s simulantly a story of a terrible human being, and a cry for help: “Help me baby, I’ve got no choice… I am what I am”.

Musically, the Bad Seeds create a typically masterful atmosphere, before completely exploding in the chorus. Which then continues into a memorable recreation of the title’s letters: “V is for VIRTUE, I ain’t gonna hurt you – E is for EVEN if you want me to”. Instrument wise, the drum will definitely have a blast in this one, and the entire band switch between careful creepy atmosphere to rocking the fuck out (in a similarly creepy atmosphere). It’s a good one.

Eb7EoKk.jpg

Speaking of masterful atmospheres, there’s a reason why “Red Right Hand” is featured in loads of movies and TV shows, including all 3 first "Scream" movies, and it’s also the title track of “Peaky Blinders”. The Bad Seeds really outdone themselves this time – based on a brilliant and sexy bass line, some brushed drums, and a huge bell – creating an unforgettable soundscape, as Cave unfolds his tale on the mystical tall figure.

One of Cave’s most well known tunes, it’s a highlight of his live shows, and been covered by countless artists: Arctic Monkeys, PJ Harvey, Jarvis Cocker and Iggy Pop, Laura Marling and more. A true classic, long overdue at RB.

Murderballads.jpg

ALBUM TWO: Murder Ballads (1996)

Nick Cave wasn’t kidding with the title to this one. The album tells 9 murder ballads, with an overall body count of 76 deaths (that’s not including ambiguous lines like “he’s done many many more”), before concluding with an all-star cover of Bob Dylan’s “Death Is Not the End”. It’s also one of Cave’s funniest albums, and includes two high-profile duets with PJ Harvey and Kylie Minogue (which, of course, both end in murder). Cave’s certainly an interesting guy.

The PJ Harvey duet, “Henry Lee”, was already released in her pack back in September. It’s time for two more:

A note of caution: this song, and this description, includes a lot of curse words and a few, hmm, not-very-subtle sexual and violent descriptions. So if this kind of thing offends you, feel free to skip to the next song.

jWtCBua.jpg

f8EZASo.jpg

I just had to include that one, didn’t I? I mean, I think Nick Cave has written some absolute, heartfelt, touching and deep masterpieces. So sometimes I get a bit annoyed when people focus on what is essentially a meme song – even though it’s a fucking excellent one.

But on the other hand: this song has inspired a whole community of Stagger Lee and Billy Dilly memes (like the one above), it made shirts that simply say “good pussy” legit Nick Cave merchandise, was the climax of countless shows, with Cave crowd surfing and shouting “SUCK MY DICK!” into the eyes of some terrified audience member, and recently lots of stage invasions too. It’s just a legendary tune, and it has to be here.

Technically, a cover of a popular 1895 folk song – even though personally, I’ve never heard any variation that sounded even remotely like Cave’s version, lyrically or musically – so I’m pretty sure it’s in practice an original tune. This is Cave’s take on gangster rap, taking the classic story of mass murdered Stagger Lee, with yet another badass bassline, and giving it a classic Cave twist - this is Nick at his absolute most badass.

Cave drops classic, profanity filled one liners (“She sees the barkeeper, says ‘Oh god he can’t be dead!’. Stag says, ‘well, just count the holes in the motherfucker’s head”) – too many more to mention, really – before the song takes a surprising homosexual twist, as Stagger Lee rejects a hooker in favor of her boyfriend (or in Cave’s colorful language, “I’ll crawl over 50 good pussies just to get to one fat boy’s asshole” – hence the “good pussy” shirts). Oh and, let’s not forget the classic rhyming – “I’m gonna sit right here till time comes to pass, and furthermore I’ll fuck Billy Dilly in his motherfucking ass”.

This song becomes an even huger monster live, often spanning 10 minutes with the Devil himself being introduced – and shot by Stagger Lee, of course. On a personal note, here's one of those performances, where I was lucky enough to be on stage with Nick as a part of the stage invasion - so see if you can spot me   :)  And it's quite a brilliant performance anyway! 

I could go on forever – but really, this song has to be heard to be believed. And now you can not only hear it, but play it, and try to sing those lyrics yourself. Just make sure there’s no kids around before you do.

8TxfyB5.jpg

It’s hard to imagine a more unlikely pair than Cave and Kylie Minogue. Both are Australians, but they don’t really share much else in common – he’s an alternative rocker whose made a name of dark and disturbing tunes, she’s a mainstream pop artist who writes catchy, light tunes. The story of how this song came to life, is almost as disturbing as the song itself, as Cave himself recalls: “I had a quiet obsession with Kylie for about six years. I wrote several songs for her, none of which I felt was appropriate to give her.” Until he wrote this one, which was finally appropriate – a romantic duet which ends, of course, with Cave murdering Kylie. We’re still on “Murder Ballads”, after all.

Cave sent her the tape, and – against the advice of pretty much all her advisors – Kylie decided to do it. The result was a huge success – even gaining them a nomination for MTV awards (which Cave refused – “music is not an horse race”, according to him). It’s a gentle, beautiful song, with a great strings arrangement. There’s also this great, recent live performance of this song – with Cave and Kylie dancing together, smiling and looking almost in love, and this lovely song of murder. And now you can recreate this murder duet with your loved one. And if your girlfriend gets annoyed that you gets to kill her – don’t worry, you can follow it with “Henry Lee”, where the girl character kills the boy…

01-788008.jpg

ALBUM THREE: Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus (2004)

So we’re taking quite a leap forward in time, and Cave now is almost unrecognizable. From the dark depths of “Let Love In”, and murder tales of “Murder Ballads”, Cave has since recorded two beautiful, personal album of mostly piano-based love songs (“The Boatman’s Call” and “No More Shall We Part”) – and also “Nocturama”, but it’s best to ignore that one, so I won't even bold it – before being back with this huge, bloated, full band double album, that was the one thing we’ve almost never seen from Cave before: the music was, well, almost happy!

Abattoir Blues” is a proper rock album, full of hooks, rhythms, and it’s thoroughly enjoyable and upbeat to listen to, while “Orpheus” is a ballads album, but also lighter than his earlier stuff. Oh, and the entire thing includes a full church choir! This album proved that even without the darkness and devastation, Cave is just a brilliant songwriter who can do anything. So you’ll get the first and the last song of this collection.

Also note that another song of “Abattoir”, “There She Goes My Beautiful World”, was previously released here as a custom.

TwY07bj.jpg

There’s only one word to describe this “Abattoir” opener – rocking. Cave just takes his band, and simply rocks, like he never did before, and yes, with a choir, and it’s fucking awesome. Full of merciless guitars (usually about 3 at a time, so I had to make some charting decisions…), rousing drums, epic choir harmonies (“Get ready! Get ready!”) as Cave leads the band: “Calling every boy and girl, calling all around the world… get ready for love!”. This is Nick Cave doing rock and roll, and he’s great at it.

EPJHJ2S.jpg

About 70 minutes later, the last song of this double collection, is the angelic ballad “O Children”. A slow, remorseful ballad with a huge climax, this song was relatively unknown, until it found some unexpected mainstream success when in 2010, six years after the song’s release, it was used in “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, part 1”. In fact, it’s the only piece of music used in the entire Harry Potter series, that wasn’t written specifically for it.

The filmmakers were looking for a song that will fit the magical atmosphere, one that was never used in any other movie/TV show ever, and Cave’s otherworldly persona was a perfect fit (and he does look a bit like a vampire, doesn’t he?). The song choice, used in a Harry/Hermione dance scene, was well received and was happily adopted within the Harry Potter fanbase (I’ve even heard some weird theories about how the lyrics are actually about Harry Potter, and “Frank and Jim” actually refer to Neville’s and Harry’s fathers… not sure about that part, personally).

Regardless of Harry Potter, this is just a beautiful song in it’s own right. Lead by acoustic guitar and a distinct drum beat, it has some beautiful piano, as several verses leads to an unforgettable, bitter-sweet, call-and-response climax with the choir: “Hey, little train, wait for me, I once was blind but now I see, I’m hanging in there, don’t you see, at this process of elimination… We’re happy, ma, we’re having fun – it’s beyond my wildest expectations”… It’s an absolute gem.

So that’s all for now! You now have 9 Nick Cave classics available to play with, which is still nothing for his huge discography, but hey, can’t do them all… and if this isn’t enough for you, there might just be another Cave related tune coming sometime soon. But that’s for some other time.

See you next time!

If you haven't already, I highly recommend reading the original thread to enjoy the full Primavera experience:

Day One

Day Two

Once again, many thanks to everyone who was involved!

For your convenience, I've collected all the full band songs I was involved in, to one simple list with direct download links:

...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead - Relative Ways

16 Horsepower - Nobody 'Cept You

Angel Olsen - Shut Up Kiss Me

Arcade Fire - Intervention

Arcade Fire - In the Backseat

Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)Collab with egead

Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #2 (Laika)

Big Star - September Gurls

Blur - Beetlebum

Bruce Springsteen – BadlandsCollab with Spindoctor and MrBurpler.

Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town (YouTube)

Bruce Springsteen - Jersey Girl

Bruce Springsteen – Prove it All Night

Bruce Springsteen – The RiverCollab with bsbloom

Bruce Springsteen – Thunder Road - collab with ejthedj.

Camera Obscura - Lloyd, I'm Ready to be Heartbroken

Chris Bell - I Am the Cosmos

David Bowie - Breaking Glass

David Bowie - "Heroes"collab with ejthedj.

David Bowie – Lazarus

David Bowie - No Plan

David Bowie - The Stars (Are Out Tonight)

David Bowie – Sound and VisionCollab with Grubextrapolate and Jimi369

David Bowie - Soul Love (custom by MrPrezident, I did drums)

Elbow - One Day Like This

Grandaddy - The Crystal Lake

Grinderman - No Pussy Blues

Inspiral Carpets - This is How it Feels

Mac DeMarco - My Kind of Woman

Magazine - Shot By Both Sides

Manic Street Preachers - If You Tolerate This

Manic Street Preachers - Revol 

Manic Street Preachers - Yes

Neil Young - Everybody Knows This is Nowhere

Neil Young - Mellow My MindCollab with Mr Prezident

Neil Young - Revolution Blues

Neil Young - Walk On

Neil Young - WinterlongCollab with Mr Prezident

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Henry Lee (Feat. PJ Harvey)

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds – Get Ready For Love

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds – Loverman

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds – O Children

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds – Red Right Hand

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds – Stagger Lee

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds – There She Goes, My Beautiful World

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds – Where the Wild Roses Grow (Feat. Kylie Minogue)

Nick Drake - Northern Sky

Pavement - Gold Soundz (YouTube)

Pavement - Unfair

PJ Harvey - Big Exit

PJ Harvey - C'mon Billy

PJ Harvey - Down by the Water

PJ Harvey - This Mess We're In

The Cure - A Night Like ThisCollab with grubextrapolate 
The Cure - Pictures of You. Collab with grubextrapolate 
The Cure - Push. Collab with grubextrapolate 

The National - The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness

Artist breakdown:

The Dismemberment Plan - 10

Arcade Fire, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - 9

David Bowie - 7

The Cure, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen - 6

The Replacements - 5

PJ Harvey, Wilco, Pulp, Suede - 4

Manic Street Preachers - 3

Pavement - 2

Plus singles from 27 different artists.

If you're interested in full write-ups, visualizers and the rest, it's all in here:

Thank you for reading, and stay tuned for more!

20.1 - Four new tunes! 90's Alternative Rock pack!

krzOsNs.jpg

A track from the iconic 90s britpop band Blur - known for having a bit of a feud with a certain other britpop heavyweight - and whose frontman later went on to start Gorillaz. This track, the lead single from their 1997 self-titled album, was released as a cover version during the early days of Rock Band DLC (and was a bonus track on the European version of the game). Now you can finally play the original studio version of the song!

7TF7oun.jpg

Mark Kozelek is a strange dude. An indie cult figure, and now well known as the frontman of Sun Kil Moon, his 2014 album Benjieven got some mainstream success (even though IMO, it’s very far from his best album). And he generally quite lost it, including being involved in a one-sided public row with indie band The War on Drugs, which included him releasing a special song with the delicate title “War On Drugs: Suck My Cock."

But before all that, he was the frontman of one of the best, and most underappreciated bands of the 90’s – Red House Painters. Their music was usually slow, extremely emotional, personal and hard-hitting, and they had a golden run of records in the 90’s, including my favorite one, a self-titled album usually referred to as Rollercoaster because of the album cover. I’m very happy and excited to bring this band to Rock Band for the first time.

“Grace Cathedral Park” is the opening to this album, and it provides a great introduction to the album and this band. It’s fairly upbeat – by their standards, anyway - and includes interesting parts for all instruments, so it’s fun to play. And it’s also an extremely beautiful song, that’s widely regarded as one of the band’s classics, and just an amazing song.

KfmSEl1.jpg

The Beta Band are also quite a strange breed. Their style is described in Wikipedia as "'folktronica,' a blend of folk, Scottish, electronic, rock, trip hop, and experimental jamming” – and yes, this is as weird as it sounds. Through their career they’ve made several strange and wonderful records and songs, all extremely curious and creative. But really, one tune stands above them all.

“Dry the Rain” is one of those once-in-a-lifetime tunes. For me it’s a strong contender for the “best song of the 90’s." It starts of as a chilly, beautiful, folky tune with acoustic and slide guitars, than slowly evolves into a true epic. The song truly takes it up a gear around the 3:18 mark, where my favorite bassline in music history kicks in – and I’m not just saying that, I spent a solid 10 minutes looking for a bassline I liked better, and couldn’t find any. The bassline leads the song into an amazing climax, with horns, harmony vocals, and overall it’s just a beautiful thing.

The song gained a bit more attention after featuring in the 2000 movie High Fidelity – where John Cusack’s character announces “I will now sell five copies of The Three EPs by The Beta Band, before playing the climax of the song in his record store. The filmmakers knew why they chose that song – it’s a brilliant gem that’s still fairly unknown, and an absolutely brilliant piece of music.

dQYmOOU.jpg

When looking for a fit opening band for Radiohead, really I couldn’t come up with a better fit than Grandaddy. IMO, they’re the real “American Radiohead” – an alternative rock band with an experimental edge, falsetto vocals, and lyrics about technology and the anxiety of modern life. In that case, The Sophtware Slump would be their answer to OK Computer, or some sort of the sequel Radiohead never made – as Pitchfork wrote, “If Radiohead captured a feeling of pre-millenial tension, The Sophtware Slumpcaptured the feeling of disappointment that came afterward."

Despite the similarities, The Sophtware Slump is a brilliant album on its own account – described upon release as “a work of rare and precious qualities, a collection of emotional, richly melodic songs” (from the Daily Telegraph review). “The Crystal Lake” is the lead single, and it’s one of the catchiest songs on the band’s repertoire. Kicking off with a catchy guitar line, it’s beautiful to sing along to, fun to play, and builds into the anxious chorus statement: “I’ve got to get out of here." It’s a great rock song and a great introduction to this fantastic band. 

Yaniv's Workshop - including all my work (hopefully) neatly organized

Primavera Sound project: Day One, Day Two

Arcade Fire Project

WIP Thread

Hit me up if you wanna collab on any of those!

#2 DrJewge

DrJewge
  • 14 posts

Posted October 15, 2017 - 06:33 PM

Wow! Some awesome tracks!
All I play are drums so it's great to have another dedicated drum charter about.

Any clues as to what future tracks we can expect?

#3 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 250 posts

Posted October 15, 2017 - 06:37 PM

Wow! Some awesome tracks!
All I play are drums so it's great to have another dedicated drum charter about.

Any clues as to what future tracks we can expect?

Thanks! There's much more to come, a lot I've already charted actually and just testing now. I really wants to make them good, so the testing sometimes takes a bit...

I'm new to this so I would love to hear any feedback on the charts :)

More from those artists, also a lot of other bands on my waiting list. So far I'm testing some Springsteen, Pavement, The Replacements, and many more bands are on the list.

In the meantime, here's a new 3-pack I just finished testing:

Suede 01

"So Young"

"The Drowners"

"Trash"

The best britpop band in the world (Sorry Blur and Oasis!) with this great three pack. Two classics from the first album, both really fun on drums, and my favorite Suede song - the huge anthem "Trash". Have fun and make sure you sing along!

Arcade Fire Project

WIP Thread

#4 BornGamerRob

BornGamerRob
  • 349 posts

Posted October 15, 2017 - 07:21 PM

Suede!

RE Your Expert Only:
You can use CAT reductions to at least get off the Expert only. I know there are a lot of people here who do like reductions, and at least using the automation gives them an option, even if it's not your handcrafted preference.

I'd definitely be willing to exchange some vocals for Suede for some drums. Been looking to chart more Vapors, so maybe that's up your alley. If you like Suede, it's up your alley. =-)

Anyway, thanks and welcome!

Check out my video playlists: YOUTUBE | VIMEO (superior)

#5 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 250 posts

Posted October 15, 2017 - 07:40 PM

I'll look into the cat thing, maybe I'll do the harder and the more popular songs.
Of course, if anyone wants to collab to make a full band song, I'll handle all difficulties by the book.

I'm ashamed to say I don't know Vapors - feel free to PM me some songs you wanna do! If I like them we can do them :)

And if you want to do Suede, PM me and I'll send you the RPPs and everything you need. I plan on doing more Suede sometimes too. I also want to do some Pulp who are similar, if you're into them.

Arcade Fire Project

WIP Thread

#6 rcale

rcale
  • 416 posts

Posted October 15, 2017 - 10:57 PM

Oh wow. You have great taste! Ive been desperate for some Suede (especially from Suede and Dog Man Star), so I really hope someone adds bass to your work. :)

E: Pulp too!

#7 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 250 posts

Posted October 16, 2017 - 12:07 PM

Oh wow. You have great taste! Ive been desperate for some Suede (especially from Suede and Dog Man Star), so I really hope someone adds bass to your work. :)

Next Suede pack will definitely have Dog Man Star tunes too :)

Anyway, just finished testing more customs! and it's more Neil Young! So many of his classics are missing, I had to do some of them :)

NEW! Neil Young Rock Classics Pack

"Everybody Knows This is Nowhere"

"Powderfinger"

"Walk On"

A three pack of great classic rockers by Neil. None too difficult, but fun to play! And Powderfinger chart keeps changing all the time (Seems like the drummer is figuring out his parts live...), which makes it quite annoying to chart but nice to play :)

Edit: Replaced Ohio with Walk On!

Arcade Fire Project

WIP Thread

#8 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 250 posts

Posted October 17, 2017 - 12:44 PM

Another day, another pack! 

Bruce Springsteen Classics Pack

"Badlands"

"Backstreets"

"The River"

A pack of 3 absolute classics from Bruce. From the rousing "Badlands", to the chilly and beautiful "River", to the epic, amazing "Backstreets" - those are absolutely essential tunes IMO.

As noted, it's a shame those are drums only - if anyone wants to help me turn them into full band ones, I'll be so happy to do it!

Arcade Fire Project

WIP Thread

#9 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,872 posts

Posted October 17, 2017 - 01:22 PM

finally someone else doing Bruce  :excited:

#10 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 250 posts

Posted October 17, 2017 - 02:50 PM

There's a lot more Bruce coming, some very soon :).

Once again, if you want to chart guitars and other stuff for those songs, or at least some of them, it would be amazing.

Arcade Fire Project

WIP Thread

#11 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,872 posts

Posted October 17, 2017 - 04:43 PM

make sure you check my WIP. I have lots of Bruce in progress

#12 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 250 posts

Posted October 17, 2017 - 05:02 PM

Yeah I know, I'm not doing any of the first two albums because of you! I'm doing some later stuff.

Arcade Fire Project

WIP Thread

#13 BornGamerRob

BornGamerRob
  • 349 posts

Posted October 22, 2017 - 04:31 AM

Hey Yaniv! Thanks again for the contributions. Was just playing some of your stuff and noticed there is no drum fill sections so there's no way to initiate overdrive. I think that's because in Phase Shift, you author differently and they aren't necessary. Just thought I'd drop a note in case you hadn't realized you needed it for RB authoring. 

#14 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 250 posts

Posted October 22, 2017 - 04:45 PM

Hey Yaniv! Thanks again for the contributions. Was just playing some of your stuff and noticed there is no drum fill sections so there's no way to initiate overdrive. I think that's because in Phase Shift, you author differently and they aren't necessary. Just thought I'd drop a note in case you hadn't realized you needed it for RB authoring. 

Oh thanks man! I honestly had no idea. I played it all in Phase Shift and was able to initiate overdrive easily. I'll go through the songs and fix it, thanks :)

What did you think of the charts otherwise?

Arcade Fire Project

WIP Thread

#15 BornGamerRob

BornGamerRob
  • 349 posts

Posted October 22, 2017 - 08:59 PM

Oh thanks man! I honestly had no idea. I played it all in Phase Shift and was able to initiate overdrive easily. I'll go through the songs and fix it, thanks :)

What did you think of the charts otherwise?

Played your Suede charts. Really good man. Awesome work!

#16 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 250 posts

Posted October 24, 2017 - 02:42 PM

24.10 Update: It's been brought to my attention that since I didn't author drum fills, all those tunes were impossible to gold star in RB3 (I didn't know that, in Phase Shift you can activate overdrive just fine without it!). Also, because of a bug I've had, all the album artworks were wrong - there was a very bad resolution picture of Springsteen instead.

Because of that, I've updated all the songs to include drum fills and proper artwork.

If you've downloaded an old version, please replace it with the new one! And if you find any further errors, please write me. Thanks :)

Arcade Fire Project

WIP Thread

#17 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 250 posts

Posted November 4, 2017 - 11:36 PM

Hello, here's 9 new songs!

Bruce Springsteen Classics 02

"Land of Hope and Dreams"

"No Surrender"

"The Promised Land"

Second Springsteen classics pack, and this time it represents several decades and not just the 70's! "The Promised Land" is another 70's classic from the Darkness album (see more below...), "No Surrender" covers the 80's, while "Land of Hope and Dreams" is an epic 7-minutes long fan favorite, debuted live in the 90's and finally released in 2012's "Wrecking Ball". All songs are a blast to play, so have fun!

Springsteen's Darkness at the Edge of Town pack

"Candy's Room"

"Darkness at the Edge of Town"

"Prove it All Night"

Even more Springsteen! And the second of the "classic albums" packs (after David Bowie's Low), it's a 3-pack of classics from the Darkness at the Edge of Town album. "Candy's Room" will test your endurance with a series of 16th notes (and it's a great song too!), "Prove it All Night" (my favorite of the bunch) is just a blast to play, while "Darkness" is a classic, powerful power ballad. With "Badlands" and "The Promised Land", I've now charted half of the album already. Hmmm...

The Replacements 01

"Can't Hardly Wait"

"Favorite Thing"

"Kiss Me On the Bus"

First customs in the database for the best punk band of all time! In my opinion of course. Anyway, each of their three classic albums is represented here. "Kiss Me On the Bus" (from "Tim") is a brilliant jangle-pop tune from, "Favorite Thing" (from "Let it Be") is full on, fast and loud punk (honestly I can't play it properly, it's too fast for me!) and my favorite Replacements song, "Can't Hardly Wait" (from "Pleased to Meet Me") is just a beautiful touching yet upbeat tune.

Also, there's another album pack coming very soon - 3/3 songs charted, 2/3 songs approved, I'm just having some difficulties with the tempo of the last one. Once I'll get it right I'll upload all three!

Hope you loved those! And as always, if anyone wants to chart more instruments - to anything - PM me!

Arcade Fire Project

WIP Thread

#18 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 250 posts

Posted November 12, 2017 - 10:17 PM

Hey, it's time to release my first full band collaboration! If you've wondered why Thunder Road, one of Springsteen's best songs (and my personal favorite) was suspiciously missing from 3 different Bruce packs... well here's your answer. A full band custom was in the making, collaboration with ejthedj, and now it's ready!

Get it here!

Bruce Springsteen - Thunder Road

I would like to say a huge thank you to ejthedj, who done the majority of the work, including an absolutely insane (seriously, insane) pro keys chart. I've had a blast charting the drums (all difficulties) to this one.

Also, on a minor note, I've updated 'Darkness at the Edge of Town' to include some missing tom hits from the pro-drums chart. So if you're playing pro, be sure to redownload it here.

There's much more coming, I'm quite busy at studying but there's more to look forward too!

Arcade Fire Project

WIP Thread

#19 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 250 posts

Posted November 20, 2017 - 12:21 PM

A new release!

Pavement 'Crooked Rain Crooked Rain' 3-Pack

"Gold Soundz"

"Silence Kid"

"Unfair"

A 3 pack of highlights from one of the best rock albums of the 90's! Play along to the brilliant Gold Soundz (Pitchfork's best song of the 90's, and for a good reason!), the opener Silence Kid (man that tempo map was annoying to make, fun to play though!) and my personal favorite, the wild rocker 'Unfair'. Brilliant music and fun charts all around!

Arcade Fire Project

WIP Thread

#20 yaniv297

yaniv297
  • 250 posts

Posted November 21, 2017 - 09:55 PM

David Bowie Modern Pack

"Lazarus"

"No Plan"

"The Stars (Are Out Tonight)"

We already have so much vintage Bowie, but how about some of the newer stuff? Lazarus is an heartbreaking tune from the amazing 'Blackstar', with great jazzy drumming. "No Plan" is an underrated outtake from Blackstar, and one of my favorite Bowie tunes ever. And to make this pack a bit less depressing - here's the ultra catchy "The Stars (Are Out Tonight)" from Bowie's comeback album "The Next Day".

Arcade Fire Project

WIP Thread

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users