Kamotch's Indie Rock (And Other Genres, Too) WIPs

Andrew Jackson Jihad Built to Spill The Cribs Dinosaur Jr. Jeff Rosenstock Modest Mouse Pavement Superchunk The Thermals They Might Be Giants

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 BornGamerRob

BornGamerRob
  • 296 posts

Posted September 4, 2017 - 04:04 AM

I'd hate to stir the pot or cause tension or anything but I've wanted to do Hum - Stars for the absolute longest time. In fact, I said I'd do it well before Gigakoops'

I have no idea what this song is, but with all the fuss, I will DEFINITELY be checking it out when it releases. ;-)

Check out my video playlists: YOUTUBE | VIMEO (superior)

#22 BornGamerRob

BornGamerRob
  • 296 posts

Posted September 4, 2017 - 04:07 AM

Ouch. Well I guess some folks just prefer to work alone. Good luck, then! I look forward to it!

I think once you are established and people become familiar with your releases, it'll change. I could be wrong, maybe some people just prefer to work alone (each their own), but I have seen a lot of collaboration so I wouldn't read much into it.

Check out my video playlists: YOUTUBE | VIMEO (superior)

#23 DemonUnicorns

DemonUnicorns
  • 729 posts

Posted September 4, 2017 - 04:20 AM

I think once you are established and people become familiar with your releases, it'll change. I could be wrong, maybe some people just prefer to work alone (each their own), but I have seen a lot of collaboration so I wouldn't read much into it.

That's partially true. To be fair I didn't give Kamotch's chart a look, but I'm very particular about tempo maps; it's the first step to chart quality.

If I create the tempo map, I always love to do callaborations for my projects. But that doesn't mean I won't contribute instruments for other people's tempo maps. I just need your credibility is all. Plus, I had already started a tempo map on this one a long time ago.

#24 Kamotch

Kamotch
  • 61 posts

Posted September 4, 2017 - 05:25 AM

Yeah tempo maps are very important, so I understand being hesitant considering I don't have anything to show for myself yet. Regardless, since I had a full drum chart all ready, I just figured rather than going through and charting it over again from scratch you could save time by using mine as a quick reference. No need to even credit me since I don't really care; I was just trying to speed the process along.

But it doesn't matter really. Your chart will probably be better overall due to your experience so it's all good. The only reason I'm a little bummed is it means I wasted time on this chart I could have been spending on other songs. But that's entirely my fault because I hadn't read through the rules at the time, so I guess I'm paying for that haha.

#25 naginalJJ

naginalJJ
  • 831 posts

Posted September 4, 2017 - 05:40 AM

The only reason I'm a little bummed is it means I wasted time on this chart I could have been spending on other songs.

Welcome to being a customs charter lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

#26 DemonUnicorns

DemonUnicorns
  • 729 posts

Posted September 4, 2017 - 06:10 AM

That's also why it's best practice to have a minimal WIP list, multiple projects are less likely to happen on the same songs. Sorry that this situation is happening to you, it's just that you're a little late to the party for this particular song.

Anyways, I really am looking forward to your other tracks! Always nice to see a new author join the fold.

#27 Kamotch

Kamotch
  • 61 posts

Posted September 4, 2017 - 09:56 PM

Well I knew this was a hot track since that fake DLC leak all those years ago (which is actually how I found out about the song), that's why I was surprised when I saw it wasn't in the database. If I had known the various amount of red tape involved I would have stayed out of it of course.

Everyone keeps commenting on my massive list. I suppose since there's no clear distinction between the songs I'm definitely gonna get to and the ones that are just wishful thinking, I understand. But really here's the deal if it wasn't made clear in the original post:

I really enjoy all of these songs and would love to be a part of every song's inclusion in the database; however, I acknowledge that that's not exactly a realistic expectation. Think of it more as both a To-Do list AND a wish list. It's just that the line between the two is blurred a bit. I'm going to separate the list to distinguish between actual WIPs and the rest. Outside of the WIP section, I don't claim any of those songs and anyone who wishes to start on a song does not need my permission to do so, especially on songs of lower priority. However, the plan is to keep going through my list until something stops me from doing so, so if someone starts one of the songs without my knowledge then I may end up charting something someone's already close to finishing, which I'd like to avoid. But the benefit of me putting all of these songs out there let's everyone know which songs I'm willing to work on, and therefore if someone wishes to chart a song from this list but would like someone to collaborate with, they can contact me like what happened with Banshee for example. So yeah, I know it's an insanely long list, but I'm gonna try my best to put as big a dent into it as I can, and anyone else is welcome to as well.

#28 robypal

robypal
  • 18 posts

Posted September 5, 2017 - 12:36 AM

Yay for all the Pavement songs!!! We need much more of this band on RB3!!
As soon as I get decent enough at making customs I'd be happy to help you out with these, but that's probably still far away haha

#29 BattlePenguin

BattlePenguin
  • 145 posts

Posted September 5, 2017 - 01:11 AM

Nice list! I see a few that I would be down to colab with you, Ill reach out to ya once I finish some personal customs I was planning. Do you chart all instruments? Which would you say are you strongest at?

#30 Kamotch

Kamotch
  • 61 posts

Posted September 5, 2017 - 01:43 AM

I've dabbled in all instruments though I'm definitely strongest at drums. Chords for guitar kind of trip me up on occasion, but if there's a tab available online, that makes it much easier. I have fun matching the pitches for vocals and I've gotten pretty good at that recently, but I've been avoiding syncing it to anything smaller than 1/16ths.

I haven't watched through all of the tutorial videos yet nor gone through all of the documents outside of the initial RBN charting ones, so I hope to learn even more tips and tricks to help me out.

#31 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 588 posts

Posted September 5, 2017 - 07:37 AM

Lists look much better, Kamotch. :) I'm excited for the Smiths and Replacements songs you've got on your WIPs... I'm always surprised there are no Replacements customs in the database.

Of your wish list/to-do list, Now We Can See by the Thermals would be an awesome introduction of the band to newbies.

At Least it Was Here by The 88 has already been made but is getting some upgrades before it's put into the database.

On your singles list, you and I really overlap, taste-wise. You should check out my requests/suggestions list and my last.fm profile, both in my signature below. If you wanted to collaborate on any of the songs in my suggestions thread, I would contribute pitched vocals with available harmonies. Rock on!

#1 Ranked Wii Customs Player... because it's the Wii
"Like a madman laughin' at the rain" - Custom song releases
Freelancers wanted! - Works-in-progress
"One-Trick Pony" - Details of my contributions in the database!
In-Depth Eclectic Suggestions - Let's collaborate!
Packing Like a Pro - The Guide for a Legit Wii Library
Last.fm Profile - Let's be snobs together.

#32 Gigakoops

Gigakoops

Resident Movie Nerd

• 1,092 posts

Posted September 6, 2017 - 06:54 AM

RE: My bad habit of song hording... I truly do apologize for that. I really thought I'd be able to deliver on all of those songs. But over time I started to realize that I was in over my head, and eventually got burnt out to the point of having to stop. I should never have made that WIP list; my first clue should have been that I made it because I was already taking too damn long on all the songs I was working on, and as a result song after song I was excited to work on, were being released by other folks. I feel like a garbage human being for essentially hoarding a mountain of songs for myself, and not always being open to collaboration.

Goes without saying, but at this point, my WIP thread is meaningless, go ahead and author whatever you want from it! If you see a song on someone else's WIP thread that you want to author, I'd say shoot them a message asking if they want help with it. If they don't respond within, say, a week or two, just go ahead and author it yourself. It's better than waiting years for a song to be charted, only for it never to come.

At this point, IDK if I'll ever get back to charting for RB3. I'm considering perhaps switching to a less demanding game to chart songs for, such as Clone Hero. But even then, I'll probably just author random songs for my own enjoyment rather than what I used to do, and put the song on a backlist and hype everyone up for it, only for it to never get done. 

#33 DemonUnicorns

DemonUnicorns
  • 729 posts

Posted September 7, 2017 - 02:23 AM

No apologies necessary, Gigakoops. As it's already been said, many forum members do it.

Anyways I thought I'd ask here since there's a lot of buzz about it. I'm almost done with Stars, just need to polish up the guitar chart as far as instruments go. Wanted to know if you guys thought the muted strum guitar riff during the bridge should be all HOPO or if they should all be forced off.

Kamotch, Froogzer

#34 Kamotch

Kamotch
  • 61 posts

Posted September 7, 2017 - 02:44 AM

I had it at all HOPOs. I figured that's what Harmonix would have done.

#35 DemonUnicorns

DemonUnicorns
  • 729 posts

Posted September 7, 2017 - 02:51 AM

It would certainly seem more fun that way. But then again, look how Harmonix did Visions and Operation Ground and Pound.

#36 Gigakoops

Gigakoops

Resident Movie Nerd

• 1,092 posts

Posted September 7, 2017 - 04:07 AM

I also had it as all HOPOs, because I figured it'd be much more fun. I'd say it'd probably be safer to make them HOPOs, since this isn't meant to be a challenging metal track like Visions or OGAP.

#37 DemonUnicorns

DemonUnicorns
  • 729 posts

Posted September 7, 2017 - 04:15 AM

That's very true, thanks for your responses. HOPOs is how I had it, so that's how I'll keep it.

#38 Kamotch

Kamotch
  • 61 posts

Posted September 7, 2017 - 04:54 PM

And hey if someone wants to strum the notes, they still can. Everybody wins!

EDIT: Aaaand I just uploaded my first custom.

23Yygh0.jpg

I'm gonna avoid posting a new topic for my finished customs until I have a decent amount of songs finished. I don't think having just one song warrants a new topic.

#39 Kamotch

Kamotch
  • 61 posts

Posted September 9, 2017 - 08:46 AM

I will, however, bump this topic so people see the update. Sorry to double post, but I figure it's justified.

#40 DemonUnicorns

DemonUnicorns
  • 729 posts

Posted September 9, 2017 - 02:14 PM

People generally do new posts for their new songs so that it naturally jumps their thread.

Look forward to trying your first custom!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Andrew Jackson Jihad, Built to Spill, The Cribs, Dinosaur Jr., Jeff Rosenstock, Modest Mouse, Pavement, Superchunk, The Thermals, They Might Be Giants

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users