Kamotch's Indie Rock (And Other Genres, Too) WIPs

Andrew Jackson Jihad Built to Spill The Cribs Dinosaur Jr. Jeff Rosenstock Modest Mouse Pavement Superchunk The Thermals They Might Be Giants

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Kamotch

Kamotch
  • 61 posts

Posted September 3, 2017 - 05:45 AM

Welcome to my WIP page! I joined this community in August of 2017, but I've actually been charting songs in my spare time as far back as the initial release of the RBN tools. I've been an avid Rock Band player since it's release in 2007, and prior to that, a Guitar Hero player since Guitar Hero 2. Harmonix and rhythm gaming have been a huge part of my life for over a decade, but only on rare occasions did I ever get really excited for a specific song release. My music tastes are a little skewed towards guitar-centric indie rock bands of the 1990s, 2000s, and 2010s. Those bands make up the majority of my tastes, but I'm no one-trick pony. I like songs of every genre but I mostly tend to pick and choose outside of the indie/alternative rockers. I am overly excited about the prospect of being able to play songs I'd only ever dreamed of playing in Rock Band.

These are songs I've finished and released so far:

Andrew Jackson Jihad - Brave as a Noun (LINK)

Bloc Party - Like Eating Glass (LINK)

Bomb the Music Industry! - Everybody That Loves You (LINK)
Bomb the Music Industry! - Stuff That I Like (LINK)

The Cribs - Moving Pictures (LINK)

Dead Kennedys - Kill the Poor (LINK)
Dinosaur Jr. - Little Fury Things (LINK)

Jeff Rosenstock - Polar Bear or Africa (LINK)

Jeff Rosenstock - You, In Weird Cities (LINK)

Modest Mouse - Doin' the Cockroach (LINK)

Modest Mouse - Ocean Breathes Salty (LINK)
Modest Mouse - Polar Opposites (LINK)

New Order - Ceremony (LINK)
Ramones - My Brain Is Hanging Upside Down (Bonzo Goes to Bitburg) (LINK)

The Smiths - There Is a Light That Never Goes Out (LINK)

Superchunk - Hyper Enough (LINK)

The Thermals - Now We Can See (LINK)

Violent Femmes - Add It Up (LINK)
Yuck - Get Away (LINK)

And here are the incomplete songs I have made any sort of progress on (WIPs):

The Arrogant Sons of Bitches - The Last Bell I Will Ever Hear / (I Must Be a Proctologist Because) All I Do is Deal With Assholes [GBDVK]

Bomb the Music Industry! - Bike Test 1 2 3 [GBDV]
Bomb the Music Industry! - Syke! Life Is Awesome! [GBDVK]

The Brave Little Abacus - 45 Minutes from "Somewhere Out There" [GBDVK]

Built to Spill - Car [GBDVK]

Built to Spill - Carry the Zero [GBDV]

Chvrches - Empty Threat [GBDVK]

Chvrches - The Mother We Share [GBDVK]

The Cribs - Glitters Like Gold [GBDV]

The Cribs - "In the Belly of the Brazen Bull" Medley [GBDVK]

Daft Punk - Contact [BDVK]

Dinosaur Jr. - They Always Come [GBDV]

Jeff Rosenstock - Darkness Records [GBDVK]
Jeff Rosenstock - I'm Serious I'm Sorry [GBDV]

Jeff Rosenstock - ...While You're Alive / Perfect Sound Whatever [GBDVK]

Jeff Rosenstock - X-mas Card (MU330 Cover) [GBDV]

Jimmy Eat World - Believe in What You Want [GBDVK]

Laura Stevenson - Torch Song [GBDV]

Lemuria - Chihuly [GBDV]

Lemuria - Oahu, Hawaii [GBDVK]

Mitski - Francis Forever [GBDV]

Modern Baseball - Re-Do [GBDV]

Modern Baseball - Re-Done [GBDV]
Modest Mouse - Gravity Rides Everything [GBDV]

Modest Mouse - Shit Luck [GBDV]

My Chemical Romance - Thank You for the Venom [GBDV]

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea [GBDVK]

Pavement - Elevate Me Later [GBDV]

The Replacements - I Will Dare [GBDV]

ROAR - I Can't Handle Change [GBDVK]
Shinobu - Jeff Rosenstock's "We" [GBDV]

Shinobu - Shoot the Sky Down [GBDV]

The Strokes - Ize of the World [GBDV]
The Strokes - Razorblade [GBDV]
Superchunk - Detroit Has a Skyline [GBDV]

Superchunk - Learned to Surf [GBDV]

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - Under the Hedge [GBDV]

The Thermals - A Pillar of Salt [GBDV]

They Might Be Giants - Don't Let's Start [GBDVK]
Throwing Muses - Hate My Way [GBDV]

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - American Girl [GBDV]

Violent Femmes - Never Tell [GBDV]

The following songs were started in anticipation of the C3 Generations project. Before the setlist was finalized, I tempo mapped and pitched out vocals for every suggested song of mine that wasn't already in my WIP list. These songs are still in the same boat as my other WIPs and should be considered 'claimed' by me, but don't expect most of them to be released for a while:

Once I tempo map a song, I'll add it to this list. The darker the font for each instrument, the more progress I've made on that respective instrument. Just know that even if a song has every instrument listed as complete, there's still at least a good few hours of work before the song can be released, what with reductions, overdrive, and other last-minute polishes.

And now for my giant list of songs I plan to eventually do.

NOTE: The following list of songs acts as both a To-Do list and a wish list. Nothing aside from the WIP songs are off-limits to chart freely and without my permission, though I would greatly appreciate a private message if you wish to do a mid to high priority song, to avoid any potential conflict. I'm not always 100% on top of updating this page, so just to be safe it's best to give me notice. Of course feel free to PM me about collaborating on any song on this list, regardless of priority. It's likely I'll be down to collaborate in some way which would lighten your load as well.

Priority-levels are subject to change as time goes on. Anyway, I hope at least a few people can find some songs they like in this enormous list of songs and I look forward to possibly collaborating with some of you in the future.

Also, if ever I have premeditated plans to leave the community and/or stop charting songs, I will let everyone know and update this topic to reflect my status. But as of right now, I'm ready to keep going indefinitely.

#2 Bansheeflyer

Bansheeflyer

• 1,296 posts

Posted September 3, 2017 - 06:38 AM

Oh good I'd enjoy collabing on "Someone Keeps Moving My Chair". I was also planning on adding "Elephant Stone" to my Stone Roses list. Would you maybe be interested in collabing on that as well?

As a moderator I enforce the law...in moderation.

My Customs
My Works in Progress

#3 Kamotch

Kamotch
  • 61 posts

Posted September 3, 2017 - 06:59 AM

Yes and yes. The version of Elephant Stone I was planning to do was the 12" version that's almost 5 minutes long. I really love that extended drum intro and think the sound is much cleaner overall. Not that I'm opposed to a less-polished sound, it's just that's always been my preferred version of the song.

#4 Bansheeflyer

Bansheeflyer

• 1,296 posts

Posted September 3, 2017 - 07:14 AM

I didn't even know there was a five-minute version but I'm not at all surprised. Honestly if I didn't have a hundred other songs to do I'd finish that whole album. It's such a great album.

As a moderator I enforce the law...in moderation.

My Customs
My Works in Progress

#5 BornGamerRob

BornGamerRob
  • 296 posts

Posted September 3, 2017 - 07:14 AM

Just a note that Stray Cats - Rock This Town is official RB4 DLC. 

Check out my video playlists: YOUTUBE | VIMEO (superior)

#6 Kamotch

Kamotch
  • 61 posts

Posted September 3, 2017 - 07:22 AM

Oh well no wonder no one already claimed it and it wasn't in the database. I'll remove it. I'm actually surprised I didn't realize it was DLC already. Even though I haven't updated to the current generation of consoles, I've still been keeping up with the DLC releases. Must've slipped by me somehow. Thanks for the heads up.

#7 TheWay123

TheWay123
  • 127 posts

Posted September 3, 2017 - 11:39 AM

Was about to say that American Girl was already done by HMX, but it was the live version :P

#8 MrPrezident

MrPrezident

C3U Moderator

• 865 posts

Posted September 3, 2017 - 02:45 PM

Welcome aboard!  Great to see new faces.   

But we gotta talk about that list.

To start, unfortunately, there are at least a half dozen other songs on your list that are already in the database, people have mentioned a few.  Before you start charting a song you should probably re-check the database.   I'm not going to go through your entire list because... 

Secondly - your list is huge.  I am really not a fan of people claiming 100's of songs in their WIP list, because there are easily 20-30 songs on your list that are also on mine.   The main reason is, to get through this list will take you thousands of hours of authoring, so this list is going to remain largely untouched for years.    

The point of this forum is to make other authors aware of what you are currently working on so there can be collaboration and so that a song that you're working on isn't released by someone else.  One only needs to read a few pages deep into the WIP forum to see other authors with massive song lists, who also haven't released a song in months so one would naturally assume those songs are not being actively worked on.

Therefore I strongly suggest you consider scaling your list down to two or three songs per artist that you want to do, or just the next 10-20 songs you are actually working on.  

I wish you the best of luck :)

MY CUSTOMS -  Everything from ABBA to XTC

FORUM THREAD / WIP THREAD - Updated every Monday

p89ZznR.png KhDyqmU.png

#9 Kamotch

Kamotch
  • 61 posts

Posted September 3, 2017 - 03:32 PM

I actually performed an extensive search through the database as well as the WIP sub-forum to make sure the songs on the list would be handled correctly but I suppose maybe a couple slipped by, but at least half a dozen? I don't think that's true.

Secondly, I am fully aware that I won't get to all of these songs, which I already stated in the original post. I just wanted to share my interests and open up the possibility for collaboration.

I understand this list is enormous and daunting and impossible. But look at the situation with Banshee. Both songs he mentioned were not high priority songs, yet depending on when he'd like to get started, I'll be working on those much earlier than expected. I suppose I can separate the lists into actual WIPs and songs I merely have interest in like a lot of people have done. But still I want the community to know my interests. Say if someone has a WIP for a song on the list and they only get as far as charting one or two instruments. They skim the boards to see if anyone else has expressed interest in the song and find my list. They can just send me a quick PM or reply to this topic, and I'll work with them to make sure the song gets released.

I guess you're right that it seems like I'm claiming these songs, but honestly if someone wants to do any of the ones from mid-priority level and down, they don't even need to contact me if they'd rather just work on it themselves. I won't get to those for a while anyway, so it's likely they can finish a song before I've even started on them.

Thank you for the welcoming words, MrPrezident. And if we really share 20-30 songs in our lists then I would love to collaborate sometime.

#10 MrPrezident

MrPrezident

C3U Moderator

• 865 posts

Posted September 3, 2017 - 03:53 PM

Thank you for the welcoming words, MrPrezident. And if we really share 20-30 songs in our lists then I would love to collaborate sometime.

I'm sure this will happen eventually :)   We have some overlapping interests in a few artists, Bowie, Strokes, BNL, DK, and so on.   I am looking forward to seeing some of your work, good luck on getting started.

MY CUSTOMS -  Everything from ABBA to XTC

FORUM THREAD / WIP THREAD - Updated every Monday

p89ZznR.png KhDyqmU.png

#11 DemonUnicorns

DemonUnicorns
  • 729 posts

Posted September 3, 2017 - 04:46 PM

I guess you're right that it seems like I'm claiming these songs

That's what it would seem, but do not worry. If there's a problem or two with this site, it's this. Countless members are guilty of it. 

I am going to quote MrPrezident because he said it best:

I am really not a fan of people claiming 100's of songs in their WIP list...this list is going to remain largely untouched for years.    

I have been DYING to do Stars by Hum ever since I joined this site. I searched the WIP threads and low and behold, it was on Gigakoops' WIP thread. I offered to help, was declined, and now she has left the site.

Ok so I get to work on it now, right? Nope, Stars has been on pslehisl's WIP thread since January. 

And now, you have it listed on your WIP thread. 

I think I'm just going to chart it sometime. When people keep their feet out and block my path, I don't mind stepping on toes.

This was not really directed at you, Kamotch. Good luck with your charting! I do like quite a few of the bands on your list.

#12 Kamotch

Kamotch
  • 61 posts

Posted September 3, 2017 - 05:47 PM

Cool I already have a tempo map, drum chart, and a pitch map (not perfectly timed vocals, only snapped to 1/16ths) ready for that song if you want to use it. I had started on the song before I fully understood the rules of the site. Luckily I saw that pslehisl only had guitar and vocals done for his/hers, so if he/she was willing to collaborate I'd just transfer my drum chart into his/her file and go from there. But if you're just gonna go for it, then I'd of course be down to collab.

Edit: Oh I also did the guitar interlude, but that was probably the quickest part of the song to chart.

#13 Dangus

Dangus
  • 352 posts

Posted September 3, 2017 - 06:35 PM

I for one am stoked to see Chvrches, Bowie, The Cure, The Smiths & New Order just to name a few ;)!

#14 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 588 posts

Posted September 3, 2017 - 10:04 PM

Lots of good stuff in that massively unrealistic list. We have similar tastes. But good luck...

636102372049352512111179754_tumblr_nu762

#1 Ranked Wii Customs Player... because it's the Wii
"Like a madman laughin' at the rain" - Custom song releases
Freelancers wanted! - Works-in-progress
"One-Trick Pony" - Details of my contributions in the database!
In-Depth Eclectic Suggestions - Let's collaborate!
Packing Like a Pro - The Guide for a Legit Wii Library
Last.fm Profile - Let's be snobs together.

#15 froogle

froogle
  • 296 posts

Posted September 4, 2017 - 02:02 AM

I'd hate to stir the pot or cause tension or anything but I've wanted to do Hum - Stars for the absolute longest time. In fact, I said I'd do it well before Gigakoops' WIP thread existed. And now everyone and their grandmother wants to author it. I'm gonna be brutally honest here, I am going to do Stars eventually because I am getting sick of waiting. With that being said, I encourage anyone to do work on it, actually that would be great because i wouldn't have to do it. But it's getting ridiculous.

All that aside, I'm looking forward to playing *a lot* of your list.

Charter and procrastinator extraordinaire, at your disservice. D:

#16 Kamotch

Kamotch
  • 61 posts

Posted September 4, 2017 - 02:02 AM

Thanks, Han. Since we have similar tastes, maybe we can collaborate at some point as well!

Edit: And Froogzer, like I told DemonUnicorns, I got portions of the song ready if you want in on it as well.

#17 DemonUnicorns

DemonUnicorns
  • 729 posts

Posted September 4, 2017 - 02:23 AM

Well I'll just say it then because I agree with everything Froogzer just said, I will have Stars by Hum out by this time next week.

#18 Kamotch

Kamotch
  • 61 posts

Posted September 4, 2017 - 03:04 AM

Sweet lemme know if you want what I've got so far as a starting point.

#19 DemonUnicorns

DemonUnicorns
  • 729 posts

Posted September 4, 2017 - 03:08 AM

Sweet lemme know if you want what I've got so far as a starting point.

That's alright I prefer to just start from the beginning.

#20 Kamotch

Kamotch
  • 61 posts

Posted September 4, 2017 - 03:16 AM

Ouch. Well I guess some folks just prefer to work alone. Good luck, then! I look forward to it!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Andrew Jackson Jihad, Built to Spill, The Cribs, Dinosaur Jr., Jeff Rosenstock, Modest Mouse, Pavement, Superchunk, The Thermals, They Might Be Giants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users