"No songs by [obscure band]!?" - Atruejedi's Eclectic Requests - Now Recruiting! (updated 8/12/18)

#operation-ivy #guster #blitzentrapper #julytalk #theinterrupters #dawes #theroots #thewombats #thevaccines

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#81 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 634 posts

Posted August 30, 2017 - 01:51 PM

The Mother Hips

sound_motherhips-bstage.jpg

Background: I had never heard of the Mother Hips until Harmonix released Time We Had as a bonus song with the original Rock Band... and I was instantly lukewarm. Honestly, the song didn't really do it for me. I understood why it was a bonus song and nothing to advertise or brag about. But it started something... because a year later I recognized the name "Mother Hips" when browsing the DLC store, hunting for new tunes to play and enjoy (because unlike the original game, Rock Band 2 allowed Wii users to purchase additional songs). Curious, I previewed Third Floor Story and White Falcon Fuzz from their 2009 album and that's when I instantly fell in love. Since then, I've heard nearly everything they've ever released, from their fantastic live double album recorded last Christmas to the b-side and EP singles (like the radical jam Red Tandy which was bizarrely released as DLC, clocking in at six minutes instead of the usual two...). I fully realize Harmonix has, by all accounts, done these guys a great service by introducing people like me to their music and I am very, very grateful. I am so pleased to have their music in my Rock Band library. But I feel like these fellas don't get the attention they deserve; the band still has so much more to offer your ears, and I feel a debt must be repaid by preaching the gospel of California soul music.

The Obvious Choice:

Hey Emilie

Album: Back to the Grotto (1991)

And of all the girls in all the topless bars in New Orleans
All they've got are ass and tits and that don't mean a thing

The first song from their first album. It's an absolute jam. These guys have been around for a long time, and I would say they've only gotten better with age, but they haven't, because they were just as awesome 26 years ago.

Vocals: Melody and harmony start off gently enough, but man, that'll change halfway through... great lyrics, too. Any song that mentions bacon is okay in my book.
Guitar: A little bit of everything. Great solos.
Bass: It gets pretty interesting as the song goes on. Patience pays off.
Drums: Awesome. And I rarely say something like that.
Keys: Nope.
Miscellaneous: Crisp ending.

Runner-up:

Gold Plated

Album: Later Days (1998)

All my problems are gold plated
All my bottoms exaggerated
My connections incarcerated
And I don't know when but my genius faded

To contrast with the raucous Obvious Choice, the first alternate selection is a twangy country-ish song which I've always thought to be about having problems but being the cause of them or feeling guilty that those problems really aren't so awful. This opening track makes mention of that California soul and references to an Eagles song to boot.

Vocals: Lovely melody and some nice oohs during the chorus.
Guitar: Relaxing acoustic chords and some pretty pickin'.
Bass: Nothing special.
Drums: Can drums be relaxing?

Runner-up:

Rich Little Girl

Album: Green Hills of Earth (2001)

I don't know about no rich little girl
Walkin' around like her papa got some money

This ain't the most complex song, and that's fine. It's just a jam for the boys about the ladies.

Vocals: Fun, simple lyrics, with interesting backing vocals. Definitely a challenge.
Guitar: Bad-ass guitar all-around, especially the solo.
Bass: Rockin'.
Drums: Lots going on here. Could be fun.
Miscellaneous: Explosive. Because there's literally an explosion.

The Personal Favorite:

White Headphones

Album: Kiss the Crystal Flake (2007)

Ooh, she's making me move, I'm a man who never did
Now I got to learn how to dance pretty soon or get left behind by the kid

I hate sexy songs. They make my repressed self uncomfortable. But this is a sexy song I absolutely worship. Harmonix already gave this album a bit of love with Time We Had and the downloadable jam Time-Sick Son of a Grizzly Bear, but three tracks would make the album title appear in my library... ;)

Vocals: The desire in his voice just... damn, Tim. I need a cold shower.
Guitar: Simple acoustic chords and tortured electric whining.
Bass: Seductive. Make her move those hips.
Drums: Keepin' the beat.
Keys: A simple, necessary piano part. Adds a lot.
Miscellaneous: Fizzles out after all that excitement. Let's cuddle.

#1 Ranked Wii Customs Player... because it's the Wii
"Like a madman laughin' at the rain" - My custom song releases
Freelancers wanted! - Works-in-progress
"One-Trick Pony" - Details of my contributions in the database!
In-Depth Eclectic Suggestions - Let's collaborate!

Vocals Charting Philosophy - Because sometimes less is more
Packing Like a Pro - The Guide for a Legit Wii Library
Last.fm Profile - Let's be snobs together.

#82 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 634 posts

Posted August 30, 2017 - 02:34 PM

The Jam

MI0001331453.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Background: Singer and songwriter Paul Weller is considered legendary in musical circles, and while I'm not the biggest fan of him or his band, I do appreciate them enough to be surprised that Harmonix (and this community) has largely ignored the Jam, either purposely or out of ignorance. To be clear, I say largely because two songs actually are available: Going Underground (solid) and Town Called Malice (awesome). While the runners-up are not critical additions to anybody's library, I do think The Obvious Choice deserves a listen because, one, it's just so good, and two, it's very different from the two currently available songs.

The Obvious Choice:

The Butterfly Collector

Album [b-side] (1979)

There's tarts and whores but you're much more
You're a different kind 'cause you want their minds
And you just don't care 'cause you've got no pride
It's just a face on your pillowcase that thrills you

To be clear, this song is brilliant. It will make an impression on you.

Vocals: I don't know how to describe the vocals for this one... pretty, yet... ugly? Harmonies are that way, too. Such impressive lyrics.
Guitar: Haunting guitar introduction.
Bass: Brooding.
Drums: On and off.
Keys: Synthesizer.

Runner-up:

Thick as Thieves

Album: Setting Sons (1979)

We stole everything that we could see
But it wasn't enough...  and now we've gone and spoiled everything
Now we're no longer as thick as thieves

No, it isn't the Kasabian song. This song about stealing, well, everything, and ironically losing the most important thing: friendship.

Vocals: A fun song for two friends who hopefully maintain that friendship longer than the song's duration.
Guitar: Lots and lots of chords.
Bass: Not bad. It'll keep you busy.
Drums: Holy moly. Good luck.
Keys: None.

Runner-up:

In The City

Album: In The City (1977)

In the city there's a thousand men in uniforms
And I've heard they now have the right to kill a man

A short 'n' sweet lil' ditty 'bout livin' in the city.

Vocals: Melody and harmony, of course.
Guitar: More of the chords you've come to expect.
Bass: Phew. Busy.
Drums: Somehow busier.

#83 naginalJJ

naginalJJ
  • 838 posts

Posted August 30, 2017 - 02:38 PM

I'd love to see News of the World by The Jam as well. +1

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

#84 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 634 posts

Posted August 30, 2017 - 03:25 PM

Kaiser Chiefs

article-1067129-02E1121B00000578-298_468

Background: Although I consider myself a huge fan, I'm the first to admit Kaiser Chiefs are an incredibly uneven band. Their studio albums sound great, but they are amateur and sloppy on stage and lead singer Ricky Wilson sounds especially rough... yet I'd still recommend seeing them live because they can be so damn fun. And yet fun isn't everything about them. The band has released some surprisingly mature (and well-done!) songs that most ears will never hear, and I'm hoping to showcase that side of the band here. It's worth noting that I Predict a Riot is available as DLC and Ruby shipped on the LEGO Rock Band disc (so my Wii will never have it :argh:), and there's a Guitar Hero conversion of Never Miss a Beat in the database (but it's multi-tracked :bang:). I'm pleased as punch to have one song by them in my Rock Band library... and now another: Everyday I Love You Less and Less, a collaboration between MrPrezident and me! But this post is for the underappreciated, unheard gems. There's no Obvious Choice or runners-up here; I'm simply going to move chronologically to highlight the growth I've seen from the band (which was significantly retarded when lead songwriter Nick Hodgson left the band and the remaining band mates released the bizarre 2014 "protest" album Education, Education, Education & War and the terrible 2016 pop album Stay Together, both of which this post will ignore) and shine a light on styles different from their hyperactive hits during their golden era.

The Seed:

Modern Way

Album: Employment (2005)

Do you know what I was put here in the world for?
Could you tell me in three words or more?

The first serious track from their first album under the Kaiser Chiefs moniker. In my headcanon, this song about dealing with life in our rapidly changing world set the standard of great creations to come later.

Vocals: A sweet melody. Pleasant, thoughtful lyrics. Nice ahhs.
Guitar: Generally relaxing, but a little bit of everything.
Bass: Nothing arduous, but nice.
Drums: Standard stuff. So much cowbell.
Keys: A bit of synth.

The Branch:

Love's Not A Competition (But I'm Winning)

Album: Yours Truly, Angry Mob (2007)

The trick is getting you to think that all this was your idea
And that this was everything you've ever wanted out of here

A wonderful example of that mellow style they're so good at but is rarely showcased.

Vocals: Great layered vocals.
Guitar: Lots of chords; gorgeous picking tinged with sadness.
Bass: Somber.
Drums: Equally somber.
Miscellaneous: Fades out.

The Stem:

Never Miss a Beat

Album: Off With Their Heads (2008)

What did you learn at school?
I didn't go
Why didn't you go to school?
I don't know
It's cool to know nothing

The Guitar Hero people were smart to select this song for their game. Hopefully including it in this post will spawn a proper Wii-friendly version or a single-tracked version so I can enjoy it with you guys! When I said this post would feature mature songwriting, I didn't mean to imply that Kaiser Chiefs don't often write mature songs or that their songs are only fun... some are both. This catchy critique of modern youth is a great example.

Vocals: Fun vocals for a group, especially the question and answer verses. Great harmony.
Guitar: Somewhat classic intro riff. Somewhat bad-ass guitar chords. Somewhat bad-ass overall.
Bass: Very, very busy and thunderous.
Drums: Pretty busy.
Keys: Lots of synth.
Miscellaneous: Abrupt ending.

The Blossom:

Coming Up For Air

Album: The Future is Medieval (2011)

And if you want to know a lie then I'll tell you a lie
If you want to know the truth then I'll tell you

The band released 24 songs (many of them among their best) in 2011 but not a proper album... instead, listeners could pay to cobble together 10 of their favorite tracks into a personalized album. I thought this was incredibly stupid and tracked down all of the songs, b-sides included, to construct my own dream album (if you're interested in the track order, hit me up!). In the third act of my track arrangement, the serious songs arrive, and chief among them is Coming Up For Air, which I find so... real. Not sure why. It just feels genuine. I consider it one of their best songs, if not the best. (Note: This song is not available on Spotify)

Vocals: Beautiful melody, nice lyrics, pretty harmonies.
Guitar: Piano is the real star here, but there's a guitar doing lots of work. Enjoy the trippy, enormous solo at the end.
Bass: Nothing special.
Drums: Standard stuff.
Keys: Lovely, lovely piano. The heart of the song, instrumentally.
Miscellaneous: Sounds like an accordion intro. The song clocks in at over five minutes, but has an abrupt and strange ending.

#85 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 634 posts

Posted September 1, 2017 - 02:14 AM

Counting Crows

counting-crows-geffen-records-dennis-kee

Background: Counting Crows ruled the '90s, yet Harmonix hasn't given them much love at all, and the love they have given them (by releasing Accidentally in Love and Mr. Jones) is inaccessible to me as a Wii user. Nunchuck was kind enough to give us A Long December (which I'm certain will eventually be released as official DLC, so snag it now) and I'm still hankering to add harmonies to that tune. I saw these guys perform live a few years ago at an outdoor venue offering plenty of alcohol... the crowd would not stop shouting "PLAY MR. JONES!" the entire evening. So, the set ends, there's the usual minute or so intermission, and the band comes back on stage to perform the encore... two songs down, and Mr. Jones still has not been performed. Lead singer/human-pineapple Adam Duritz eyes the crowd and asks, "Are you guys ready? I'm going to need your help for this one..." and the drunken hollers and whoops are deafening. "MR JONES!!!" The moment has arrived. The drunken, disrespectful crowd will finally get what they've begged for all evening, the only song they know by the band, apparently. Duritz then walks off stage as California' Dreamin' plays over the loudspeakers. The entire song. The show is over. A hundred plastic cups go soaring onto the stage and the boos were even more deafening than the hollers and whoops from minutes earlier. It was amazing. I ain't even mad.

The Obvious Choice:

Hanginaround

Album: This Desert Life (1999)

We spend all day getting sober
Just hiding from daylight, watching TV
We just look a lot better in the blue light
Well, you know I gotta get out
But I'm stuck so tight weighed by the chains that keep me hanginaround...

Harmonix must be hanginaround in the wrong music circles if they haven't realized this '90s anthem would stuff their coffers with money usually spent on weed. Somebody chart this before they do.

Vocals: A predictably difficult melody sung by the great frontman Adam Duritz, which is bound to include a few talkies. Great backing vocals for friends!
Guitar: One of the quintessential guitar riffs of the '90s. Really. But there's a lot of other stuff going on here as well.
Bass: Fantastic bass part. What a jam.
Drums: No opinion. Hopefully just as enjoyable as everything else.
Keys: Great piano part.
Miscellaneous: Well everybody twist! Those talkies are so stupid and I want them so badly. Strange but crisp ending. And if that is indeed a bong I hear during the intro of the song, somehow chart that.

Runner-up:

Daylight Fading

Album: Recovering the Satellites (1996)

She said everybody loves you
She said everybody cares
But all the things I keep inside myself, they vanish in the air

To be honest, after the Obvious Choice, there are too many options for our limited runners-up, so I am probably guilty of a bit of personal bias with my selections. I did select different albums, though, so good for me.

Vocals: A bit of torture in his voice, which is probably why I love it so much. Backing harmonies.
Guitar: I love the sound of this style of guitar playing. Just the right amount of twang. Like the other selections, lots to choose from. Great solo.
Bass: Relatively tame compared to the other selections. Relatively. Still freaking great.
Drums: Standard stuff, I think.
Keys: Sparse but necessary piano.

Runner-up:

American Girls

Album: Hard Candy (2002)

I wish it was anyone but me
I could have been anyone you see
She had something breakable just under her skin...

One of their final hits (if not the final hit). It's patriotic, right? Plus, Sheryl Crow is singing those backing vocals. Crowception.

Vocals: Adam Duritz has a lovely voice. Nice backing vocals, nice female harmonies.
Guitar: A little bit of everything. Some electric picking, acoustic chords, electric chords... have fun choosing what to include!
Bass: Relaxing for the most part, but it can get funky as well!
Drums: Fairly standard stuff, but there are some interesting parts.
Keys: Some synth, yeah.

Photo_Adam_350RGB.Crop2_-635x511.jpg

Homo ananas

#86 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 634 posts

Posted September 1, 2017 - 03:12 AM

The Wallflowers

520ad58d3e86b.image.jpg

Background: To be honest, the Wallflowers sophomore album Bringing Down the Horse is leaps and bounds greater than any of their other releases and one of the best albums of the '90s. I think the band knows that, too, because when I saw them perform live a few years back, they focused on that album hard... which was kind of depressing, because they do have other good materials, especially from the album they had just released, 2012's Glad All Over. I think they played two (maaaaybe three) tunes from it, which really disappointed my friend and me. That album is really solid! But it's no Bringing Down the Horse. Harmonix has never released a single Wallflowers tune, which dumbfounds me, so grab Dash Riprock's One Headlight before they wise up. Additionally, Nunchuck given us a cover of David Bowie's Heroes, and while I'm not a fan, I have to plug his hard work and (relatively) good taste. ;) Who needs Bob when you have Jakob?

The Obvious Choice:

6th Avenue Heartache

Album: Bringing Down the Horse (1996)

The same black line that was drawn on you was drawn on me
And now it's drawn me in

The quintessential '90s alternative rock radio hit, joining two legendary (for the '90s) vocalists to make a massive hit.

Vocals: When it comes to singing ability, Jakob Dylan definitely ain't his father's son, because Jakob is actually a good singer. But compared to guest vocalist Adam Duritz of the Counting Crows? Well, I won't say he's bad... but it's really interesting to hear their voices juxtaposed!
Guitar: Pretty. Varied.
Bass: Pretty simple, but pretty fun.
Drums: Rockin'.
Keys: Heavy on the synth or organ or whatever sounds so beautiful. Some of Rami Jaffee's finest.
Miscellaneous: Fades out and is over five minutes long, so some sort of truncation is likely.

The (Other) Obvious Choice:

The Difference

Album: Bringing Down the Horse (1996)

They say that children, now, they come in all ages
And maybe sometimes old men die with little boy faces

Not as big a smash hit than the first Obvious Choice, but a smash hit nonetheless with a different style to it.

Vocals: Vocals for two, but no Adam Duritz guesting on the microphone this time. A shame, really.
Guitar: Because of all the other instruments, guitar tends to sit in the backseat for this one. But it's there, and there's a (relatively drowned-out) solo to boot.
Bass: Awesome.
Drums: Wowzers. Have fun!
Keys: More lovely synth from Rami.

Runner-up:

Reboot the Mission (feat. Mick Jones)

Album: Glad All Over (2012)

Eyes on the prize, reboot the mission
I've lost the sight, but not the vision

Slightly trippy, which makes sense when you see who produced the song... Mick Jones from The Clash! No wonder I immediately fell in love with this tune.

Vocals: An interesting vocal part, but nothing remarkable beyond the fact that you can role-play as Mick Jones. The lyrics are... strange, but that's part of the charm.
Guitar: Somewhat buried again, because the band is just so busy with the other instruments.
Bass: What a freaking fantastically funky bass part. Thanks, Mick!
Drums: Well, it's Jack Irons from the Red Hot Chili Peppers (you know, forever ago), so there's that.
Keys: Synth, of course!
Miscellaneous: Fades out.

#87 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 634 posts

Posted September 1, 2017 - 10:25 AM

Paul Simon

BN-MS468_PLAYLI_M_20160222150512.jpg

Background: Half of the dynamic duo that included Art Garfunkel, Paul Simon has been around for ever and still makes good music. Up front, I'll tell you: this man deserves at least four suggestions, so that's what he'll be getting, but even then, so much good and eligible material will be ignored, which is a shame. The man needs little introduction, which means many readers will be asking Why did you leave [insert hugely popular song here] off your list? Sacrifices had to be made. I didn't include any songs from 1980's One Tricky Pony or 1986's Graceland, for example, and I feel like I've done the man and maybe myself a disservice, because I love those two records. I'll try to spice it up and partially redeem myself by having clever headings referencing his other works. There's a very real chance that Harmonix will, one day, release these four songs, but little chance of them releasing Father & Daughter, so kudos to the C3 authors for making a wise selection. Not as wise as marrying Princess Leia, though, which Paul Simon totally did. Lucky duck.

The Shining National Guitar:

Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard

Available now! Download here

Album: Paul Simon (1972)

Well, I'm on my way
I don't know where I'm going
I'm on my way

I'm taking my time but I don't know where

One of his most popular songs, and rightfully so. Spoiler alert: No Garfunkel, no drums.

Vocals: Just Paul on melody. There's a distinct lack of Garfunkel here, and that lack of harmonizing made me think this should be at the top of the list.
Guitar: A classic guitar part.
Bass: Pretty simple stuff.
Drums: There's some percussion happening here near the end, but maybe he's just smacking his guitar. There are no proper drums, at least that I can hear... sorry, drummers. Hopefully the other songs make up for this!
Keys: Nothing of the sort. One of the guitars could go here.
Miscellaneous: Fades out. Chart that whistling! :dance:  Song mentions mother.

The Obvious Child:

Mother and Child Reunion

Album: Paul Simon (1972)

I can't for the life of me
Remember a sadder day
I know they say let it be
But it just don't work out that way

A reggae classic from a New York Jew, recorded in Kingston, Jamaica and finished in his hometown.

Vocals: Paul's melody is backed by a lovely female-sung harmony.
Guitar: Very subtle.
Bass: Smooth.
Drums: They sound pretty unique to me. Enjoy!
Keys: Irie organ, and some piano.
Miscellaneous: Fades out. Song mentions mother.

The Diamond on the Sole of Her Shoe:

50 Ways to Leave Your Lover

Album: Still Crazy After All These Years (1975)

She said "It's really not my habit to intrude
Furthermore, I hope my meaning won't be lost or misconstrued
But I'll repeat myself at the risk of being crude
There must be fifty ways to leave your lover"

About ten years ago, I unwittingly heard the instrumental parts of this song in a mashup called 50 Ways to Kill Your Lover. So, yes, because of one-eyed English-born rapper Slick Rick, I became a fan of Paul Simon. How's that for crossing cultural barriers?

Vocals: Paul's melody is, once again, backed by presumably gorgeous females on harmonies.
Guitar: Seductive acoustic chords and sexy picking.
Bass: Simple and mood-setting.
Drums: Classic. The real star of this song!
Keys: Subtle synth, I think.
Miscellaneous: Fades out, but it shouldn't be a problem. Song doesn't mention mother :v:

The Ace in the Hole

Kodachrome

Album: There Goes Rhymin' Simon (1973)

When I think back on all the crap I learned in high school
It's a wonder I can think at all
And though my lack of education hasn't hurt me none
I can read the writing on the wall

This song really paints a picture. It's a snapshot of Simon's long career of experimenting with a ton of different instruments and sounds and styles to create truly unique tunes. And it's freaking fun, especially that ending.

Vocals: A fun melody with a pretty harmony.
Guitar: Lots going on here, with plenty to choose from.
Bass: Bouncing and fun.
Drums: Fun, I hope, especially the ending.
Keys: Piano tapping. Horns of some sort.
Miscellaneous: Fades out. At 3:28 long, it's over in a flash. The ending gets pretty intense, so make sure to focus. Song mentions mother.

#88 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 634 posts

Posted September 1, 2017 - 11:16 AM

Less Than Jake

less-than-jake.jpg

Background: I still remember the first song I heard by this ska punk band and the dead media on which it aired: Johnny Quest Thinks We're Sellouts around the year 2000 on Yahoo! Radio, which was built into their Messenger program, if I'm remembering correctly. While that song doesn't make my list, All My Best Friends are Metalheads made C3's official release list, which is pretty sweet! There are even two songs on the Rock Band Network, but I don't know 'em (they must be newer than what I've offered below) and I can't purchase them anyway because they weren't released for the Wii (even though we did indeed get quite a few RBN releases). I'm surprised they've seen no customs uploaded to the database other than the one from C3, so I'm going to suggest a few, because we could always use more good punk.

The Obvious Choice:

History of a Boring Town

Album: Hello Rockview (1998)

She said it's so funny how life burns out so fast
So let's take another drink and here's to the past

The theme song for every white suburban kid who thinks he's never getting out. Cliché, sure, but damn if it isn't true.

Vocals: The melody is accompanied with fun whoas and nice backing harmony. The chorus is an anthem.
Guitar: Varied, but it alternates between ska and punk rock, which you'd expect from the band.
Bass: Phenomenal. A bassist's dream.
Drums: Punk rock drums.
Keys: Horns! Duh!

The (Other) Obvious Choice:

Look What Happened

Album: Anthem (2003)

And I swear it's the last time

And I swear it's my last try
And we'll walk in circles around this whole block

Walk on the cracks on the same old sidewalks

Not to step on the toes of the above song, but this is thematically similar yet stylistically dissimilar, and just as good and just as classic.

Vocals: Melody is the star of the song, but the very end has some backing vocals.
Guitar: No ska here! Just rock!
Bass: Much more standard compared to the other offerings.
Drums: Rockin' drums, but nothing special.
Keys: Horns! Surprised?

Runner-up:

9th at Pine

Album: Losing Streak (1996)

Is it the crowd
Or the way it's going down?
Is being human watching all this without a sound?

A song about witnessing violence and doing nothing. [political shades on] Pretty appropriate for today, but I guess nothing's changed in 20 years... [shades off] On a lighter note, this is my favorite Less Than Jake album, and I really considered Krazy Glue and Automatic, so give them a listen if you're so inclined.

Vocals: Group vocals during the chorus, but this is mostly a lead singer song.
Guitar: Punk rock strumfest and acoustic ska picking.
Bass: Intense punk bass. Enjoy!
Drums: Hit and stomp things hard and fast. It's punk rock!
Keys: A classic horn part.

Runner-up:

The Brightest Bulb Has Burned Out / Screws Fall Out

Album: Anthem (2003)

You said you've been waging a war against the loneliest of nights
With the strongest drinks and longest lines
It's not that big of a surprise
That you're feeling more dead than alive

The first time I heard this song was on the Fat Wreck Chords anti-George W. Bush compilation Rock Against Bush Volume I and it wasn't exactly the same version embedded above. Screws Fall Out was completely absent, for example, and the second verse was sung by legendary British protest songwriter Billy Bragg. Coincidentally, that's the first time I heard Billy Bragg, and that's how I became a fan of him as well. To be honest, I don't care too much which version is put into the game, but ideally speaking, somebody would splice the Billy Bragg version of the song together with Screws Fall Out to make the perfect release. High hopes, I know, but Screws Fall Out really is the anthem of the Anthem album, so don't discount it.

Vocals: Well, depending on which version is selected, you have Billy Bragg or you don't. I prefer having him. :)
Guitar: This is the only instrument playing for the first two minutes.
Bass: Sit tight, then rock the !@#$ out.
Drums: See above.
Keys: Surprisingly, the horns for which they're known are absent here.

#89 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 634 posts

Posted September 1, 2017 - 12:20 PM

Harvey Danger

harvey%20danger.jpg

Background: This will likely be the most shameful "pet post" of my suggestions posts to date. I am not exaggerating when I say frontman Sean Nelson is one of my absolute favorite songwriters and voices and human beings. He's a lyrical genius but he also has an incredible voice and range and the emotion to back up his words. This cigarette smoking ginger giant is a deity to me, and I was very pleasantly surprised when Harmonix released Cream and Bastards Rise as DLC years ago (one of the first guitar parts I gold starred, such was my dedication!), yet shocked that Flagpole Sitta never came until the era of Rock Band 4. Because of the American Pie movie soundtrack, everybody and their mother (especially Stiffler's) knew this song in the late '90s, and while it's definitely a great song, it is in no way indicative of the music Harvey Danger makes. I'll admit it's the song that got me interested in the band, but there's just so much more to the band than only Flagpole Sitta. I'm here to showcase Sean Nelson's brilliant songwriting and the band's various styles. Fingers crossed that you become as big of a fan as I am... but you'll never be as big of a fan as me. :rock:

The Obvious Choice:

Authenticity

Album: King James Version (1999)

I have a stinger; I am a honey bee
I am a razor; please cut your wrist with me
You're super-common; you flaunt your pedigree
You're clear as water

One of the most bad-ass songs I've ever heard, but even then it was a toss-up because I'm such a Harvey Danger fanboy. This is their "hardest" album by far and Authenticity is the hardest of the hard, but it still isn't my favorite song on the disc... that honor is reserved for Pike St./Part Slope, which is just... perfect, but a terrible suggestion for Rock Band because it lacks so many instrumental parts. Also considered were You Miss The Point Completely I Get The Point Exactly for its on the nose title and Sad Sweetheart of the Rodeo for its bizarre lyrics. My point? This, like all the others, is a great album.

Vocals: Definitely would be difficult to chart the vocals, but the abundant talkies might make up for that.
Guitar: Bad-ass guitar, or didn't you get the memo? Neat solo to boot.
Bass: Standard rock 'n' roll bass.
Drums: Bad-ass drums (but not deserving of italics).
Miscellaneous: Bizarre ending that leads into the following track and would need truncated, but easy to make crisp.

Runner-up:

War Buddies

Album: Little By Little (2005)

Body counts mounting on a bed of barbed wire, coldly stacked
As soon as the morning light has broken, then we attack
If nobody tries too hard to kill you, I got your back

This album is probably my favorite by the band. Because the Obvious (for the album) Choice Cream and Bastards Rise was released as DLC by Harmonix years ago, I had to consider many other fantastic songs when composing this entry, including opening track Wine, Women, and Song, depressingly beautiful What You Live By, and rockin' bonus track I Missed It. I went with War Buddies because it's a personal favorite by the band and has more of the wonderful lyrics and songwriting you've come to expect from Sean Nelson. Goosebumps throughout... so many feels...

Vocals: I can't stress enough how amazing of a singer this man is. Devil stars. Devil stars. Then I'll cry when I don't get gold stars :argh:
Guitar: Taking a back seat to piano this time. It can be pretty buried at times, which is appropriate when considering the lyrics...
Bass: Standard stuff.
Drums: More standard stuff.
Keys: Piano, the Harvey Danger staple.
Miscellaneous: Crisp.

Runner-up:

Terminal Annex

Album: Where Have All the Merrymakers Gone? (1997)

You complain about an overflowing cup
Don't forget that I'm the one who filled that fucker up

This choice might be a little bizarre if you're a fan of the band, but this debut album's strongest single, Flagpole Sitta, is already available for Rock Band 4 owners (read: not Wii users). That being considered, I went with this song because it was a bit different compared to the rest of the selections and I thought it might be the most interesting to the uninitiated. Starts off mellow then gets to rockin' and doesn't quit.

Vocals: Nice harmony accompanying the melody. Pretty intense singing.
Guitar: A lil' bit of everything, alternating between pretty and bad-ass.
Bass: Standard stuff.
Drums: Rock 'n' roll drums.

The Going Away Present:

The Show Must Not Go On

Album: [single] (2010)

You treat me worse than you treat any stranger
For my part, I say thanks
I am like a cobblestone street, and you...

You're like 50 Sherman tanks

I briefly considered the wonderful opening track Big Wide Empty from their "lost album" of rarities and b-sides Dead Sea Scrolls, released in 2010, but then I clicked the root directory of my Harvey Danger folder and I saw it. Not only is The Show Must Not Go On another fantastic Harvey Danger song, but it's their magnum opus and going-away present to their fans. They broke up amicably in 2010 and this was their final song, released as a single and a thank-you. Gosh, I'm listening to it right now and when chorus began and I started weeping... :crying: I'm glad Sean Nelson has since released a solo album and it's really, really lovely, especially because I consider him the heart of Harvey Danger. But things will never be the same... and that's the entire point of this song. (Note: This song is not available on Spotify)

Vocals: Sean is always the star, and the vocalist is here, as well. Phenomenal lyrics. Good backing vocals throughout.
Guitar: Somewhat varied. Acoustic picking, electric chords.
Bass: Standard rock 'n' roll bass.
Drums: Interesting drums! ...to my untrained ear, at least.
Miscellaneous: Clocking in at nearly six minutes and worth every second of your attention. It goes pretty god damn fast, to quote Sean.

#90 Zanny77

Zanny77
  • 113 posts

Posted September 17, 2017 - 03:26 PM

I can't be specific cause I'm a little shit who loves guessing games, but I've got a song from your playlist planned somewhere down the pipeline (probably within the next couple months) that I've been itching to do for a long time.

✧~Come check out my Custom song thread!~✧

♪♪♪~ http://pksage.com/cc...-for-next-pack/ ~♪♪♪

☞ Latest pack: Guitar Hero 3-Pack (10/1/17) Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

#91 mangolatango

mangolatango
  • 39 posts

Posted October 27, 2017 - 06:22 PM

jesus christ

I make Clone Hero style charts.

Clone Hero conversions of my songs: https://drive.google...s8t?usp=sharing

#92 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 634 posts

Posted October 27, 2017 - 08:15 PM

I can't be specific cause I'm a little shit who loves guessing games, but I've got a song from your playlist planned somewhere down the pipeline (probably within the next couple months) that I've been itching to do for a long time.

Ooo! I hate surprises, but I look forward to whatever's coming! :)

jesus christ

You love it. This thread is a goldmine and I know you'll find something to chart we both enjoy... so get to it! ;)

#93 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 634 posts

Posted January 11, 2018 - 11:12 PM

Jurassic 5

GettyImages-485213928-e1522470604492-793

Background: In 2003, I went to Circuit City to purchase the Road to Rome expansion pack for Battlefield 1942 (you know, in the era before nickel-and-diming DLC). At the check-out, the cashier asked me if I would like to purchase a music video sampler DVD (you know, before Blu-Ray) for one penny. One penny!? Of course I would! I only remember one song featured on that DVD, the Obvious Choice below, but it genuinely changed my life. That song introduced me to the world of underground hip-hop. I'd never heard anything like Jurassic 5. Four MCs, two DJs, and endless heart. From that moment forward I couldn't appreciate, respect, or enjoy rappers like Jay-Z or Puff Daddy. It's like going back to eating tuna fish after finally tasting caviar*. For better or worse, the snob I am today was born on that fateful February afternoon. Some musicians sell their souls. I bought mine for a penny.

The Obvious Choice:

What's Golden

Album: Power in Numbers (2003)

Word power can plow through acres of cornfields
Paragraphs cut like warm steel, preform ill...

So much swagger. I was instantly captivated... 15 years ago. And unlike me, the song hasn't aged a day.

Vocals: Four MCs for three microphones... what a conundrum! Many unison parts. A chorus that could be both pitched and unpitched. A very neat layered (and pitched) bridge.

Guitar: Nada.

Bass: Repetitive.

Drums: A standard repetitive drum sample.

Keys: Organ, synthesizer... lots of choices. Take your pick!

Miscellaneous: When Chali 2na busts through the wall at 2:25... my life changed.

Runner-up:

Quality Control

Album: Quality Control (2000)

For whom the bell tolls, let the rhythm explode
Big, bad, and bold b-boys of old

A classic. A golden-age sound long after the golden age of hip-hop was over.

Vocals: You'd think a hip-hop song would be mostly talkies... not this one! So much pitching!

Guitar: I don't hear any, but it's hard to tell. I thought I heard something at 3:20 but it might be a bass playing high notes...

Bass: Fairly repetitive, but there are a couple of interesting parts to keep you on your toes.

Drums: Another standard repetitive drum sample.

Keys: I don't think so... but, again, it's kind of hard to tell.

Miscellaneous: Fantastic samples worth charting. The outro could be cut out, but drummers might enjoy it!

Runner-up:

Jayou

Album: Jurassic 5 (1998)

Earthbound, we break sound barriers

Some [uh oh] can rhyme, but they got no character

So we preparin' you for war, don't give up the fight

You need to stand up for your right

Hey, the sample is inspired by Stand Up For Your Right by Bob Marley! Coooool.

Vocals: See above. Lots of pitched vocals for a hip-hop song.

Guitar: Nope.

Bass: Subtle but neat!

Drums: Another standard repetitive drum sample. Which means I might be able to play it.

Keys: Dat flute sample dough. Star of the show!

Miscellaneous: Some absolutely fantastic lyrics, as usual. Oh, you know, like fuck the first amendment, my speech was free the day that my soul descended.

*I have never tasted caviar and I like tuna fish. I just wanted to include this comparison because one of the MCs is Chali 2na.

#94 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 634 posts

Posted January 13, 2018 - 05:56 AM

Broken Bells

140129-broken-bells-after-the-disco-stre

Background: Do you like The Shins? Me neither! Trust me, they're a band I tried to like. When my hipster friends were raving about how great New Slang (available for Rock Band, along with four other songs on the Rock Band Network) was, I wanted to be hip, too! But I couldn't get into them (but I admit to listening to their most recent album a few times and, to my pleasant surprise, enjoying it... then promptly forgetting it existed until now). But all of that is neither here nor there! The reason I mention The Shins is because their lead singer, James Mercer, is in another group I really, really enjoy and I have a hard time making sense of how I can be such a huge fan of one of his projects and have absolutely no interest in the other. Broken Bells is James Mercer on vocals and producer extraordinaire Danger Mouse on, presumably, everything awesome about the pairing. They're released two lovely albums and an atrocious EP in the middle that was nothing like their other material and nobody should listen to it and it should be physically and digitally erased from history. *ahem* That being said, here are a few magical tunes from this dynamic duo. It was tough to choose because there are many songs worthy of consideration and none of them are Obvious Choices, so I encourage you to check out their more popular songs on your own if you're interested in semi-psychedelic alternative soft-rock disco.

Random Personal Favorite #1:

The Ghost Inside

Album: Broken Bells (2010)

Just like a whiskey bottle, drained on the floor
She got no future, just a life to endure

Statistically, this is one of their more well-known songs. I can see why. To me this is modern disco, and I like it.

Vocals: All over the place, but definitely singable. Good luck with all the falsetto.

Guitar: Not the star of the show, but it has its moments.

Bass: The bass parts of Broken Bells songs are always smooth and groovy. I suspect that's because of Danger Mouse.

Drums: Programmed.

Keys: The keyboard parts of Broken Bells songs are always interesting and catchy. And numerous. Again... Danger Mouse.

Miscellaneous: Crisp ending. Nice lyrics.

Random Personal Favorite #2:

Holding On for Life

Album: After the Disco (2014)

Light another cigarette, burning in the cold
Waiting on the street for your man
You're trying not to look so young and miserable

You gotta get your kicks while you can

Did somebody resurrect all of the Brothers Gibb and invent a functioning time machine??? Seriously, tell me that chorus doesn't sound like it's from the late '70s.

Vocals: Even gooder luck with the falsetto here.

Guitar: Mostly acoustic strumming.

Bass: Smooth and spooky.

Drums: Programmed.

Keys: Man, take your pick. Long synth sustains, catchy tapping, and something in between near the end.

Miscellaneous: Crisp, abrupt ending.

Random Personal Favorite #3:

Mongrel Heart

Album: Broken Bells (2010)

Looking back on that time
Starting in the mines
What it is to be twenty-nine
When fame sets your life down

Probably my favorite Broken Bells song. I just find it so instrumentally interesting. And halfway through it essentially turns into an Ennio Morricone song. Seriously.

Vocals: No falsetto! Haunting but subtle backing vocals.

Guitar: Nice little guitar intro. Guitar gets all Morriconey midway through.

Bass: I think the bass part is the reason I enjoy this song so much. So groovy.

Drums: Programmed, but much more varied and interesting than usual.

Keys: Lots of synth. Some piano midway through during the Morricone moment. Hell, the horns could go here, too.

Miscellaneous: This song crossfades into the final song on the album, so it would need to be silenced a bit earlier. Not a huge issue.

Random Personal Favorite #4:

After the Disco

Album: After the Disco (2014)

How did I get in this winding maze of love?
And there's something wrong and it's sending you
Round and round 'til we go nowhere

The title track of their sophomore album. Definitely the most upbeat song I've selected by these guys and so damn catchy. Accessible and smart at the same time. Probably one of their most popular songs, and rightfully so.

Vocals:  Gosh, those high notes. Nightmare transitions.

Guitar: I don't hear any, unless those noises at the beginning are coming from a guitar... but who cares? These guys aren't known for their guitar parts anyway.

Bass: Oh man. Seriously sexy.

Drums: These drums... might not be programmed. They sound much more alive than usual.

Keys: Make your hand into a claw and tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap. And sometimes hold down. And sometimes a combination of both. My kind of keyboarding!

#95 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 634 posts

Posted January 13, 2018 - 07:14 AM

Hey kids, thought I'd pop in and begin updating this monster again after a few months hiatus. I not infrequently receive compliments on this thread and it seems people enjoy my curated suggestions, so I decided to add a few more artists to the playlist of now-over-200 songs. If wishes were horses... (hey, that's a chorus of a Larry and His Flask song featured in this thread!).

"Why bother, Jedi? Like one of these songs has seen the light of day. Scrub."

Listen, pal. Wheels are turning behind the scenes and songs from the artists in this thread will see the light of day, one way or another. MrPrezident, in his infinite wisdom and generosity, has offered (without solicitation!) to provide me with tempo maps for five songs. I provided him with a list of ten songs I'd like to see in the database someday. All of those artists are featured in this thread, and seven of the ten songs are as well.

"Why only seven, Jedi?" you ask. "Don't you believe in your choices?"

Of course I do! But when I began this thread, I had no experience with authoring. It was my goal to suggest songs that others would enjoy enough to make into customs their creators would enjoy but I could also enjoy. I often point out that the Obvious Choice™ is not my favorite song, but it's a combination of the most accessible and/or most instrumentally interesting and/or most catchy, and therefore most likely to actually be made.

Now that I have the power, I've decided to alter my parameters. When it comes to artists with little or no representation, this thread will continue to follow the same rules and standards I've had since its inception... but now that I have more skills, abilities, and clout, I will be expanding the selection of artists to include those that actually do have songs in Rock Band, because I actively want to collaborate with artists to chart additional specific songs. Those entries will be specially marked so you know my intentions.

This is where you come in. I am well-known for collaborating with many different authors (see my vocal contributions thread here) but almost 100% of the time, those songs were not of my choosing; I just latch onto someone else's project with an offer to pitch in because of our mutual appreciation of an artist. Nothing wrong with that; big things are coming thanks to that tactic. But this thread would continue to bear little fruit if I kept that up. Now I'm asking you to pitch in.

My goal with these five songs was to almost guarantee people download them by choosing the dad-gum most catchy and varied songs I could. I want to provide Something for Everybody (which is the name of my favorite Devo album, BTW). If these customs prove popular, I might someday see customs by those artists uploaded to the database that I wasn't involved in creating. That's my goal. Plant the seeds, reap the rewards later on down the road.

Prez is providing the tempo maps. I trust his craftsmanship. I will provide the vocals. I also plan on experimenting with bass and keyboard charts, but I can't guarantee the results or quality of those ventures. I'm looking for people interested in providing guitar, bass, drums, keys, venue work... basically anything but vocals, since I'm a self-proclaimed One-Trick Pony (but trying to change that). What can you provide?

"I don't even know what the songs are yet, doofus!"

...Fair point.

I chose artists that, without my advocacy, would likely never have songs uploaded to the database. There are many more songs by artists with and without representation in the database that I'm interested in getting turned into customs, but those collaborations are likely to happen "naturally." As an example, TomGuy and I both love The Gaslight Anthem. He's an accomplished author with whom I can negotiate and collaborate to accomplish my goals fairly easily. The artists in this thread? Not so much.

That's also why I cut artists like Kasabian from my initial wish list. While I love that band, they've got two official DLC picks and two customs available. They don't need a champion... although I already know which Kasabian songs I'd pitch vocals for.... [edit] Okay, okay, I'll tell you: Days Are Forgotten and Bless This Acid House [/edit]

A little more info on the choices I made:

There are nine artists. One artist was requested twice because I love them so much and the songs are so different. No regrets!
Seven of the artists have no songs in Rock Band or in the customs database, including the artist with which I double-dipped.
One artist has a song available as official DLC for Rock Band 4.
One artist has a single drums-only custom in the database.
One artist has a song available on the Rock Band Network and a custom in the database (with vocals by me!).
The oldest song is from 1999. The two newest songs are from 2016.
Two artists are Canadian.
Three artists are British.
Four artists are American.
Four bands feature a female vocalist and another vocalist of either sex.

So let the guessing begin! Once I have the tempo maps in my hands, I will reveal the songs here. I hope to attract the interest of talented and passionate individuals looking to expand the musical palette of our Rock Band libraries. There's no point in me making a vocals-only song that only I would enjoy... all that effort for very little payoff. Let's maximize our efforts by creating songs that many people will enjoy. Thanks for stopping by!

#96 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 634 posts

Posted January 14, 2018 - 12:55 AM

Cat Stevens

Cat-Stevens.jpg

Background: During and immediately after my college years, there was this shockingly legitimate music service called Ruckus that allowed users to literally download WMA files of almost any artist you could imagine... all you needed was a functioning college email address! I cannot tell you how much underground, rare hip-hop I discovered because of this long-defunct program. But it's also how I discovered music from the exact opposite side of the spectrum... like tunes from hippie/peacenik Steven Demetre Georgiou, aka Cat Stevens, aka Yusuf Islam. I was overjoyed when I discovered Nunchuck had created a custom of If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out, a song that really encapsulates Stevens' philosophy. But it's the only finished (but only vocals and guitar) custom in the database from a man who has songs that are much better known. You know, like the selections below, all of which are Obvious Choices. Enjoy.

The Party Song:

Another Saturday Night

Album: [single] (1974)

I got in town a month ago
I've seen a lot of girls since then
If I could meet 'em, I could get 'em
But as yet I haven't met 'em
That's how I'm in the state I'm in

A great song about having a whole lotta nuthin' to do on the weekend. I know it's a bit silly (and a cover of the 1963 Sam Cooke song), but I put it at the top of this list because it's just so charming and fun. I consider this the definitive version, which might be blasphemy... sorry! But I think it would be really fun (and ironic) to play it with friends on a Saturday night!

Vocals: A great melody with lots of backing vocals for your friends to sing... even though the lyrics indicate you have no friends! Irony.

Guitar: The least interesting instrument featured because everything else is so damn fascinating.

Bass: I love this bass part. Definitely not repetitive! I can imagine my body moving already as I pluck away at the plastic.

Drums: Pretty cool! Lots of variety.

Keys: Is that an pipe organ during the intro? Whatever it is, it's hilarious and charming. It comes back during the chorus. And that sounds like a trumpet or something similar during the beginning of the final third of the song.

Miscellaneous: Crisp ending. Key change at at the very end! :haw:

The Love Song:

The First Cut is the Deepest

Album: New Masters (1967)

I would have given you all of my heart
But there's someone who's torn it apart
And she's taken almost all that I've got
But if you want, I'll try to love again

A song about one love lost and another love found. Pretty accurate. And fun fact: I'm fairly sure this is the oldest song featured in this entire thread.

Vocals: Subtle, lovely harmony.

Guitar: I love that opening guitar picking.

Bass: Again, subtle, but really interesting. It'll keep you on your toes, figuratively and maybe literally.

Drums: I like them.

Keys: At first I thought nothing would fit here... but then I heard piano about halfway through.

Miscellaneous: Fades out. Whoopsie.

The Sad Song:

Wild World

Album: Tea for the Tillerman (1970)

But if you wanna leave, take good care

Hope you have a lot of nice things to wear

But then a lot of nice things turn bad out there...

The Me First and the Gimme Gimmes version this is not. Depending on my mood, I love both. Your mileage may vary.

Vocals: Only one vocal part, but it's freaking Cat Stevens singing it so don't complain.

Guitar: It's there and necessary, but it's not the star of the song.

Bass: Relaxing.

Drums: Pretty sparse, but the timing is kind of tricky. Initially I thought I'd be able to drum this successfully, but after listening closely I'm not so sure...

Keys: Lovely piano. The stand-out instrument of this song.

The Hopeful Song:

Peace Train

Album: Teaser and the Firecat (1971)

Now I’ve been crying lately, thinking about the world as it is

Why must we go on hating? Why can’t we live in bliss?

Gosh. I'm 15 seconds into this song, listening to describe it for the categories below... and I'm already emotional. This song is special.

Vocals: Powerful lyrics. Powerful backing vocals. This song is a figurative slap in the face to bigotry and hate. I adore it. Ugh, just got emotional again at the halfway mark. Enough!

Guitar: Very pretty acoustic chords. The outro sounds tricky.

Bass: All these bass parts are so underrated. They all sound like a blast!

Drums: I assume the drums are cool as well, since the bass has proven so neat.

Keys: Strings? Strings.

Miscellaneous: Fades out. I described this song as the hopeful song... but it's a bit depressing it's been 47 years and we've still not pulled into the station... :blush:

#97 murlatok

murlatok
  • 140 posts

Posted January 15, 2018 - 02:32 PM

Totally support Broken Bells for RB customs. Holding On for Life is such a great song. I'd also add The High Road to this list.

#98 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 634 posts

Posted January 16, 2018 - 01:58 AM

Wishlist Entry - Official DLC and customs already available

The Fratellis

the-fratellis-the-fratellis-813968_405_5

Songs planned or already in the works:

Whistle for the Choir (at my request, with MrPrezident)

For a Girl (with DenVaktare)

Whisky Saga (with DenVaktare)

Imposters (Little by Little) (at my request, with DenVaktare) (Available now! Download here)

Background: I think I first heard these Scotsmen in 2008 or so when NBC was using Chelsea Dagger (a C3 release) heavily in programming advertisements during commercial breaks while I was watching the television show Chuck. I quickly became a big fan of their first two albums, but then the band... disappeared. Jon Fratelli (above, center) released great solo material during the break (too much to list, but look up his Psycho Jukebox album, much of which I'd be interested in bringing to Rock Band) and some if it is radically different from the sound the band was (and is) known for; in the case of the Codeine Velvet Club side project, everything sounds like it could be the theme to a James Bond movie (listen to Reste Avec Moi if you're curious). I was ecstatic when the Fratellis reformed and released a new album in 2013, but afraid it wouldn't be any good... thankfully, it was solid! And the 2015 followup was even better! Another album is slated for release in 2017, so fingers crossed... perhaps by then we'll have some more Fratellis songs in the database to celebrate the occasion! Below are the songs for which I'm actively searching for collaborators. If you are interested in contributing anything but vocals, contact me.

The Charmer:

Look Out Sunshine!

Album: Here We Stand (2008)

Well, there's no use tellin' me to leave
I've seen a half of dozen ghosts but I don't believe
I'm a cynical cunt and I'm much to lazy to change

A charming little romp. Most Fratellis lyrics make little sense to me, but I don't care. Drugs might help.

Vocals: The melody and lyrics are the main reason I want to chart this song, but the backing vocals are nice as well.

Guitar: Solid stuff. The guitarist gets a bit of attention near the end with a bit of a solo.

Bass: Nothing challenging, but it sounds like good fun.

Drums: Somewhat slow, but solid.

Keys: None that I hear.

Miscellaneous: Crisp ending. Plus, what other song has the word cunt in it? Controversy! But it's okay, they're Scottish.

The Enigma:

Acid Jazz Singer

Album: Here We Stand (2008)

And it's a-one time, keep it slow
Wind 'em up and here we go

Something about this song just feels so... nostalgic to me. And I have no idea why. It's probably my favorite song on the album.

Vocals: Another fantastic example of why I think Jon Fratelli is such a compelling and interesting lyricist. All melody, no harmony.

Guitar: Shares the stage with the bass and drums. It's a really cohesive sound.

Bass: My kind of bass part. Solid with a bit of flourish thrown in. Makes you move your body.

Drums: Solid rock 'n' roll.

Keys: I think I hear some piano and keys in the mix, but the guitar is the star.

The Banger:

Me and the Devil

Album: Eyes Wide, Tongue Tied (2015)

Call my name when the line goes dead
I'll be fire, I'll be rain, I'll be joy, I'll be dread
Come on, baby, don't be shy
All I want is you and I

When I saw the band perform live during their 2015 tour, they opened with this song. It was an absolute riot. Everybody was jumping and screaming the chorus. The place exploded at 3:28. It was... religious. This would make for a great party song.

Vocals: Pretty repetitive. Think of it as a mantra.

Guitar: Subtle and sparse, but a beautiful whining.

Bass: It sounds simplistic, but it is a driving force in the song.

Drums: Steady as she goes.

Keys: Lots of pretty piano.

Miscellaneous: A boring ending that could be truncated.

#99 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 634 posts

Posted January 16, 2018 - 03:12 AM

Wishlist Entry - Official DLC and customs already available

The Presidents of the United States of America

presidents-of-the-united-states-of-ameri

None

Background: When I was a kid, Lump was that song that was always on the radio... and I didn't mind at all. Something about it was so cooool. Plus, Weird Al parodied it, furthering my fascination. This was also the era of the BMG Music Club. You know... "Get 12 CDs for the price of one!" So of course I had to have this album, even though I only knew one song. In retrospect, that debut is iconic and it's well-represented in the database; fingers crossed that other authors will eventually finish the whole damn thing. And rightfully so! Initially I thought of putting We're Not Going to Make It, Body, Back Porch, and Naked and Famous on this list... but that's almost the entire album and everybody knows those songs (or should!). So I thought I'd go with some lesser known but just-as-good-if-not-better jams from after their debut. Lead signer Chris Ballew (above, left) is one of my favorite lyricists because he's just so creative and unique. Ladybug is one of my favorite songs of all time and I can't thank Harmonix enough for releasing it as official DLC. But there are still so many other PUSA songs I'd love to have in my library. Below are the songs for which I'm actively searching for collaborators. If you are interested in contributing anything but vocals, contact me. Note: I'm not going to sort out which instrument is basitar and which is guitbass, but you've played Lump in Rock Band 2, so imagine it like that.

The Song about Forbidden Love:

So Lo So Hi

Album: These Are The Good Times People (2008)

When we talk, I blow bubbles
We meet up in puddles
You pour me pond water and I sip it like champagne

It's well-known 90% of PUSA songs are about animals and insects. This song is no exception, except for the fact that it focuses on inter-species relationships.

Vocals: It's the light-hearted/gut-wrenching story of forbidden love and the lengths to which a bird and a fish will go to be with each other, with a gorgeous melody and harmony at the end.

Guitar: This has a more traditional guitar and bass part to it. The guitar at the beginning sounds really fun!

Bass: Move that body.

Drums: Standard PUSA rock 'n' roll drumming. Should be fun.

Keys: Xylophone! Adorable.

The Song about Stolen Love:

Some Postman

Album: Love Everybody (2004)

Holding onto a package meant for a distant lover
Thought it would be there overnight
She waits and she cries and she thinks he does not love her
The postman holds on oh-so-tight

Something about this song just feels so... nostalgic to me. And I have no idea why. It's probably my favorite song on the album.

Vocals: A simple melody with fun backing vocals.

Basitar/guitbass: There might be... two guitars in this song and a bass? I can't never tell with these guys and their wacky instruments. Either way, something(s?) is guitar-like and something is bass-like, so it's possible to sort out which part should go which.

Guitbass/basitar: See above.

Drums: A somewhat different style than the other choices, but it's still rock 'n' roll to me. Pretty intense.

The Song about Universal Love:

Love Everybody

Album: Love Everybody (2004)

You gotta love everybody

Make 'em feel good about themselves

Sort of a hippie anthem with an alternative rock sound. It's not my favorite PUSA song and nowhere near their best, but it's such stupid fun and a good fit for Rock Band.

Vocals: Bizarre rapid fire melody, fun backing vocals for groups.

Basitar/guitbass: A discernible guitar-like part here, which is pretty bad-ass.

Guitbass/basitar: It's also possible to pick out the bass part, which is also pretty bad-ass.

Drums: A somewhat different style than the other choices, but it's still rock 'n' roll to me. Pretty intense.

The Song about Lost Love:

Poor Turtle

Album: These Are The Good Times People (2008)

And his darkness won't turn to day
He's shut tight in his hard shell case
I still don't know if he was a guitar or bass
But we made music together

Well, it's not about a real turtle, but Chris Ballew's lost basitar, stolen from his rental truck and sold to a pawn shop. It's strangely upbeat and somber simultaneously. Sidenote: I really believe this album is just as good as their debut. Give it a listen if you're a fan of the band and haven't given this record a spin.

Vocals: Another great story with a gorgeous melody and harmony at the end.

Basitar/guitbass: Bad-ass electric chords for the most part.

Guitbass/basitar: Driving and groovy.

Drums: Standard PUSA rock 'n' roll drumming. Should be fun.

#100 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 634 posts

Posted January 16, 2018 - 04:28 AM

Wishlist Entry - C3 customs already available

Mother Mother

d3-0323-mother-jpg.jpg

None

Background: Let me start by saying if you haven't played the four available Mother Mother customs available in the database, you are doing yourself an extreme disservice. To those involved in bringing those customs to life: thank you. I think I've played them more than any other customs in my library (and probably more than some of the official DLC and on-disc tracks as well!). This Canadian group is one of the most unique, varied, and best bands I've ever heard. I adore and worship their entire catalogue, so choosing only four songs to include in this post is gut-wrenching. I'd be interested in bringing almost any of their songs to Rock Band, but, of course, I have my preferences. Below are the songs for which I'm actively searching for collaborators. If you are interested in contributing anything but vocals, contact me. P.S. I am very sorry I couldn't include a track from their sort-of debut album, 2007's Touch Up. It's just as good as everything else in their catalogue. 2011's Eureka has two customs in the database but no desired additions below. Don't take that as an insult; it's still a fantastic record. Six albums deep and they haven't missed a beat.

The Existential One:

Infinitesimal

Album: The Sticks (2012)

And did you know that when you really get close
Nothing really touches, bro, it just kind of floats?
So when you think it might just come to blows
Just so you know, it won’t, cause it can’t, bro

A catchy science-based reflection on existence. One of the favorites of my favorite favorites.

Vocals: Vocals really are the star of this song, moreso than usual. Gotta pitch those gasps. ...Okay, maybe not.

Guitar: Guitar does its thing and rarely comes to center stage, but is an integral part of the arrangement.

Bass: It's there. Nothing spectacular.

Keys: Tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap...

Miscellaneous: Crisp and unique ending.

The Evil One:

Reaper Man

Album: Very Good Bad Thing (2014)

Fuck yeah, I'm a deviant
When I go to the store, I go undressed
Oh yeah, I'm a sexy mess
Go on the date just to get the dress off...

One of the most intriguing, deviant songs I've ever heard. I can't tell you how many times I've listened to it. ...Well, actually, I can. At least 53 (which, for me, is astronomically high, since I listen to entire albums and not singles). Thanks, last.fm!

Vocals: This man is one of my favorite singers, period. But listening to him wouldn't be half as wonderful without his two backup singers that sound simultaneously like angels and devils.

Guitar: Spooky.

Bass: Droning and spooky. It almost sounds aquatic.

Drums: I want to drum this song because it sounds pretty simple and like you need to hit things really hard.

Keys: Dreamy synthesizer.

Miscellaneous: Crisp, creepy ending.

The Spookier Than Usual One:

Body of Years

Album: O My Heart (2008)

Get my foot in the door
And my face on the page
Make my mark in the world
With a bat and a blade

Two customs from this album are available in the database. This one is worthy of joining them and creating an album header in Rock Band libraries everywhere. Have we established that Mother Mother is very, very subversive yet? No? Well, here's some more evidence.

Vocals: Utterly macabre, yet delightful because of the backup singers.

Guitar: Multiple guitars to choose from-- all awesome. Especially the ending solo.

Bass: A driving bass part.

Keys: Pretty piano in places. Heavy synth throughout.

Miscellaneous: Adorable interlude midway through. Crisp, abrupt ending.

The Persecuted One:

Back in School

Album: No Culture (2017)

I gave an apple to my playground crush
She told me that the apple wasn't bad enough, aw shucks...
So young to be so cruel

Do most people look back at their experience in high school as if the place was a prison? Mother Mother does.

Vocals: More great layered vocals and harmonies from Mother Mother, but this time it includes adorable yelling children!

Guitar: A combination of steady strumming and bad-ass picking.

Bass: A force to be reckoned with.

Drums: Simple but nonetheless hard-hitting drums.

Keys: Heavy use of keys because that's what the band does.

Miscellaneous: You can't teach soul. Crisp ending featuring vocals.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users