"No songs by [obscure band]!?" - Atruejedi's Eclectic Requests - Now Recruiting! (updated 1/31/18)

#operation-ivy #guster #blitzentrapper #julytalk #theinterrupters #dawes #theroots #thewombats #thevaccines

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#101 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 576 posts

Posted January 16, 2018 - 05:35 AM

Wishlist Entry - Official DLC and customs already available

Kasabian

kasabian-730x490.jpg

Songs planned or already in the works:

None

Background: How does one categorize Kasabian? Alternative rock? Punk? Psychedelia? Trance? Whatever they are, I love them. While the two Harmonix-released songs are Obvious Choice caliber, the customs in the database, while no doubt good tunes, are really surprising choices when there are so many other songs that are better known (if not simply better, too). Like what? Like these. Below are the songs for which I'm actively searching for collaborators. If you are interested in contributing anything but vocals, contact me. With a significant six albums under their belts, I've had to leave off many tracks that would be great to chart, but these are some of my favorites.

The Confidence Builder:

Days Are Forgotten

Album: Velociraptor!  (2011)

You say I'm old hat

A fuckin' dirty rat
Call me a cliché

How right you are

The word swagger comes to mind when I hear this song. You've gotta have confidence to open a track with vocals like that. I have fond memories of singing along during the chorus when seeing them in 2012. So much energy... almost ritualistic and tribal.

Vocals: Aggressive talk-singing? Check. Soaring chorus? Check. Screeching eagles and monkey brains? Check.

Guitar: Full of swagger. Hope those fingers are limber. C-c-c-combo breaker.

Bass: Standard stuff.

Drums: Solid.

Keys: Something is probably going on here, but I'm unsure.

Miscellaneous: Gosh, even I have no interest in charting whatever ...singing that is as the song fades out.

The Punk in Disguise:

Where Did All the Love Go?

Album: West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum (2009)

The rivers on the pavement are flowing now with blood
The children of the future are drowning in the flood

My favorite song from my favorite album. Punk lyrics in psychedelic rock. Awesome.

Vocals: I love punk music, so the lyrics are the star for me with this one. But I do enjoy the melody and backing vocals very much.

Guitar: Sparse.

Bass: Subtle but very interesting! I'd love to play this.

Drums: A workout. And some bongos.

Keys: The strings are the stand-out instrument here. Angelic.

Miscellaneous: Abrupt ending which sounds cut off, even though it actually doesn't transition into the next track. Is it possible to chart jawbone?

The Fan Favorite:

L.S.F. (Lost Souls Forever)

Album: Kasabian (2004)

Come on
We got our backs to the wall
Watch out
Before you kill us all

I'm actually shocked this track wasn't official DLC or "at least" released as a custom. The lyrics are somewhat punk and contrast well with the dreamy soundscape. This one is immensely popular with fans, myself included.

Vocals: Primal moaning backing vocals.

Guitar: This is a fairly electronic song, but I think a guitar is making a noise somewhere. I hear it during the chorus, but it's sparse elsewhere.

Bass: Sounds fun to me.

Drums: Standard stuff.

Keys: Something is making a melodic noise that could go here, especially noticeable during the opening and continuing throughout.

Miscellaneous: Abrupt ending.

The Latest and Greatest:

Bless This Acid House

Album: For Crying Out Loud (2017)

You know we change for the better
I said it's easy to remember
All we will ever need is right where we are

Tell me this isn't one of the catchier songs you've heard recently. I can't get the damn thing out of my head. I'm a sucker for positive (but not corny) anthems like this. *swoon*

Vocals: Great group vocals. The star of the show. This would be a blast.

Guitar: I'd say the primary instruments are the vocalists, but the guitar is a close second.

Bass: Standard.

Drums: Keepin' the beat.

Keys: Something fits here. I thought I heard some subtle piano.

Miscellaneous: Crisp ending.

#1 Ranked Wii Customs Player... because it's the Wii
"Like a madman laughin' at the rain" - Custom song releases
Freelancers wanted! - Works-in-progress
"One-Trick Pony" - Details of my contributions in the database!
In-Depth Eclectic Suggestions - Let's collaborate!
Packing Like a Pro - The Guide for a Legit Wii Library
Last.fm Profile - Let's be snobs together.

#102 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 576 posts

Posted January 25, 2018 - 09:13 PM

Wishlist Entry - Customs already available

Soul Asylum

12702.jpg

Runaway Train

Background: This entry is long overdue. Soul Asylum is one of my favorite bands and Dave Pirner (above, with the hair) one of my favorite lyricists, but I never added them nor him to this thread because Black Gold is already available in the database from Nunchuck and Sygenysis, along with a guitar-only custom of Runaway Train. However, with the imminent release of full-band Runaway Train, I thought I'd highlight a few of my absolute favorite Soul Asylum jams here for your listening pleasure. It's just a shame I have to leave so, so many out, so I apologize in advance to the fans offended by my selections! I'm aiming for the lesser known or completely unknown here (hence no Misery). It's also a shame I couldn't highlight any gems from Dave's solo album from 2002, but don't worry; I'll drop many breadcrumbs throughout the post linking to many more wonderful Soul Asylum songs as compensation... :)

The Song Better than Runaway Train:

Closer to the Stars (live)

Album: While You Were Out (1986)

Caterpillar crawling up the big phone pole
Is there somebody that you want to talk to?

You know that pretty soon you'll be able to fly
How is this going to affect you?

Upon hearing the opening lyrics to this song, I was hooked. Captivated. Enthralled. The live version embedded above was recorded in Toronto in 1995 and can be found on their greatest hits album entitled Black Gold. I insist that if this song ever becomes a custom, it's this live version that is used. It is... sublime. That isn't to imply the album version is bad... it's just so different and doesn't fit with the lyrics compared to the live version. It's like Dave realized nine years after he recorded the song what it should sound like. And I'm glad he did! He also breathed new life into Stranger during the same concert. Mind-blowing.

Vocals: Dave Pirner at his finest, both vocally and lyrically.

Guitar: Acoustic and gorgeous.

Bass: Bass and drums finally make their entrance a minute into the song, but it's worth the wait.

Drums: If I could drum, it would be like this. A moderate pace with plenty of bad-ass soul to spread around.

Keys: Beautiful, beautiful organ. I melt.

Miscellaneous: Luckily, this live recording is top quality. Ends with some audience applause (well-deserved!), but no big deal.

The Outhouse Introspection:

Just Like Anyone

Album: Let Your Dim Light Shine (1995)

She reaches through the darkness
Her fingers touch the porcelain seat
She spins and pulls her pants down
The cold air holds her like a thief

More genius lyrics from Dave freaking Pirner. I can't be the only person to hold this guy in such high esteem, can I? I can't. I just can't.

Vocals: I never imagined a song about using the toilet could be so introspective and philosophical. See!? He's a genius.

Guitar: Every instrument is bad-ass in this song, so I don't know what else to tell you. You will feel like a rock star.

Bass: Bad-ass, duh.

Drums: A rockin', bad-ass good time. Makes my brain hurt.

Keys: None.

Miscellaneous: Fades out.

The Demonstration:

Oxygen

Album: The Silver Lining (2006)

Just a couple more breaths of oxygen will do
But it's a couple more bills and a couple more pills
And a couple more-- oh, why do you do those things you do?!

One of Soul Asylum's most bad-ass tunes, and that's saying something, especially considering it came out well after their heyday. Everything just comes together so well to create a... an experience. This album is the last to feature original bassist Karl Mueller, who played on most of the tracks as he was dying from cancer, hence the album's title. And it features the hidden (and rare) track Fearless Leader, another absolutely incredible example of Pirner's songwriting abilities and one of my favorite songs by him and the band.

Vocals: This song is less about Pirner's writing and more about the delivery. The man can be an animal when it's warranted. And those backing vocals almost make this an anthem.

Guitar: Every instrument is an important part of the overall sound, but the guitar is particularly impressive.

Bass: Probably the least important and least bad-ass, but somebody had to come in last.

Drums: Big. Big, big, big! I love it!

Keys: Unlike actual oxygen... who needs 'em?

The Most Bad-ass Song You've Never Heard:

April Fool

Album: Grave Dancers Union (1992)

Night drivin' without headlights
Wearin' sunglasses, too
Lookin' good but sure don't feel right
Anything to be cool

Remember how I just described Oxygen as one of Soul Asylum's most bad-ass tunes? One of. Well, April Fool is the absolute most bad-ass. I swear it. Press play.

Vocals: Charting these vocals would be interesting, to say the least. Gosh, Dave. If you aren't under the influence of something... well, that goes against the lyrics, so I'm sure you are.

Guitar: That riff. Man alive.

Bass: Like the exhaust pipe on a dragster.

Drums: I suddenly feel so... aggressive. JEDI SMASH.

Keys: Unnecessary because I don't know if keys can be bad-ass enough for such an arrangement.

Miscellaneous: Abrupt ending.

#103 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 576 posts

Posted January 31, 2018 - 05:07 PM

Wishlist Entry - Official DLC already available

Social Distortion

large.jpg

None

Background: I always find it a bit incredible when I'm reminded that Social Distortion has been around since the early '80s. I never knew of them until their 2004 album began making the rounds on radio waves. I was instantly attracted to the, uh, interesting voice of lead singer and songwriter Mike Ness (above, center left). Since then I've become a fan (especially of their '90s material) and had the pleasure to see a rough lookin' Ness perform with the latest iteration of the band around 2012. Eventually he'll become an anthropomorphized tattoo, but until then, let's enjoy what aches from his throat. Harmonix has been generous enough to give us one on-disc and three downloadable songs, but only a single custom (a conversion from Guitar Hero) has graced the database thus far. Here's hoping that'll change! P.S. Apologies for leaving out certain Obvious Choices and fan favorites. I thought Prison Bound was simply too depressing to include. :crying:

The Triumphant Return:

Reach for the Sky

Album: Sex, Love and Rock 'n' Roll (2004)

So, if you please, take this moment
Try if you can to make it last
Don't think about no future
And just forget about the past
And make it last

I still vividly remember when this song came out. My local alternative rock radio station played the hell out of it and I can't blame 'em. Social D still had it, they said (at this point in my life, I had no basis of comparison). And this song still holds up! I'm a bit surprised that, of the three Harmonix releases, this wasn't one of them. Maybe I'm being biased, but this song (beyond Mike's voice) has a very Offspring vibe to it.

Vocals: Almost inspirational lyrics, which, for Mike Ness, I'd call a departure.

Guitar: At this point, I'd call it classic. So many neat little sections, too. Would be a blast!

Bass: Nothing special, but by no means boring.

Drums: I'm sweating just listening to it.

Keys: None.

The Change of Pace:

When She Begins

Album: Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell (1992)

Well, minutes seemed like hours
And days seemed like weeks
How could a year last so fucking long?!

One of my favorites because it's a love song and it sounds upbeat... definitely a bit different for Social D! I'm bouncing in my chair just writing this entry!

Vocals: I love the falsetto!

Guitar: If you're familiar with Social D, you know what to expect.

Bass: See above. That little part around 3:30 is so adorable.

Drums: See above. Yeah.

Keys: Nope.

Miscellaneous: Mini Big Rock Ending, maybe?

The Return to Form:

Don't Drag Me Down

Album: White Light, White Heat, White Trash (1996)

You're eighteen, wanna be a man
Your granddaddy's in the Ku Klux Klan
Takin' two steps forward and four steps back
Gonna go to the White House and paint it black!

Time to get the adrenaline pumpin'. Social D sure knows how to rock when Ness isn't moping about feeling sorry for himself. A fine example of why the band is often heralded as punk legends.

Vocals: Tortured Mike Ness vocals with backing harmony. So, the usual fare, except for the very punk lyrics.

Guitar: Is James Avery playing guitar? Because that guy sure is a shredder. Man oh man, this sounds fun. And difficult.

Bass: In a word... driving.

Drums: Seriously... it just sounds like so much work.

Keys: Of course not.

Miscellaneous: Big Rock Ending!

The Same Old Song:

Ball and Chain

Album: Social Distortion (1990)

Well, I sit and I pray
In my broken down Chevrolet
While I'm singin' to myself
There's got to be another way

Look, I'll be the first to admit that so many Social Distortion songs are thematically similar. You know: Life sucks, so many regrets, I messed up, etc. But Ball and Chain still holds a special place in my heart, even if we've already got Bad Luck, Story of My Life, and I Was Wrong in our libraries. These songs are also the reason I didn't include Born to Lose in this entry, even though I do love it.

Vocals: Something about the way Ness sings this is just... I don't know. Genuine. I can feel his pain. And they're amplified by the moaning backing vocals.

Guitar: The soul in this... *swoon*

Bass: Relaxing compared to the selections above.

Drums: Also comparatively relaxing.

Keys: No.

Miscellaneous: Big Rock Ending!?

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users