"No songs by [obscure band]!?" - Atruejedi's Eclectic Requests - Now Recruiting! (updated 1/15/18)

#operation-ivy #guster #blitzentrapper #julytalk #theinterrupters #dawes #theroots #thewombats #thevaccines

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 326 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 03:12 AM

A CALL TO ARMS!

Click above to read a special announcement! Work with me to bring five of these songs to life!

Now that I have the power, I've decided to alter my parameters. When it comes to artists with little or no representation, this thread will continue to follow the same rules and standards I've had since its inception... but now that I have more skills, abilities, and clout, I will be expanding the selection of artists to include those that actually do have songs in Rock Band, because I actively want to collaborate with artists to chart additional specific songs. Those entries will be specially marked so you know my intentions.

Wishlist Entries:

The following artists are already moderately represented in Rock Band with some combination of songs either on-disc, as official DLC, or as customs. I am actively pursuing the creation of the additional songs featured in the following entries.

The Fratellis - Alternative Rock/Scottish (added 1/15/18) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ (NEW!)
Kasabian - Alternative Rock/Punk/Psychedelia/British (added 1/15/18) ----------------------------------------------------------------- (NEW!)
Mother Mother - Indie/Alternative Rock/Punk/Folk/Dual Vocalists/Female Vocals/Canadian (added 1/15/18) ---------------- (NEW!)
The Presidents of the United States of America - Alternative Rock (added 1/15/18) ---------------------------------------------------- (NEW!)

TL;DR I WANT THE SONGS ON THIS SPOTIFY PLAYLIST :)

I can pitch the vocals and harmonies for any of these suggestions.

I don't understand drums, so I can't really describe them well.

If you have a good description for a song, send it to me and I'll quote you in the post!

Quick links to band-centric posts in this thread (now alphabetized and tagged based on the suggested songs!):

April Smith and the Great Picture Show - Indie/Singer-Songwriter/Female Vocals (added 7/20/17)
Argent - Progressive Rock/English (added 8/3/17)
The Arkells - Indie/Rock/Canadian (added 7/9/17)
Band of Skulls - Rock/Indie/British/Dual Vocalists/Female Vocals (added 7/17/17) -------------------(Sweet Sour now available!)
Bell X1 - Alternative Rock/Irish (added 8/22/17)
Blitzen Trapper - Folk/Rock/Country/Western (added 6/29/17)
Brendan Benson - Singer-Songwriter/Indie/Rock/Country/Dual Vocalists/Female Vocals (added 7/12/17)
Broken Bells - Indie/Soul (added 1/13/18) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (NEW!)
Cat Stevens - Singer-Songwriter/Folk (added 1/13/18) -------------------------------------------------------------------------- (NEW!)
Civilian - Indie/Alternative Rock (added 7/20/17)
The Clarks - Rock (added 7/8/17)
Cold War Kids - Rock/Indie (added 8/22/17
Counting Crows - Alternative Rock/Dual Vocalists (added 8/31/17)
Damion Suomi & The Minor Prophets - Singer-Songwriter/Folk/Rock (added 8/11/17)
Dawes - Indie/Folk/Rock (added 6/29/17)
Delta Spirit - Rock (added 7/8/17)
The Dirty Guv'nahs - Rock (added 8/11/17)
Dishwalla - Alternative Rock (added 7/12/17) --------------------------------------------------- (Charlie Brown's Parents now available!)
Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes - Indie/Folk/Dual Vocalists/Female Vocals (added 7/12/17)
Eli Paperboy Reed - Soul (added 8/3/17)
The Fighting Jamesons - Alternative Rock/Irish (added 8/3/17)
First Aid Kit - Indie/Western/Dual Vocalists/Female Vocals (added 7/17/17)
Fitz & The Tantrums - Indie/Soul/Dual Vocalists/Female Vocals (added 7/17/17)
Fly Golden Eagle - Alternative Rock/Indie/Psychedelia (added 8/3/17)
Fountains of Wayne - Indie/Alternative Rock (added 7/12/17)
Frank Turner - Singer-Songwriter/Folk/Rock/English (added 7/12/17)
Gin Blossoms - Alternative Rock/Singer-Songwriter/Country (added 8/3/17)
Gogol Bordello - Punk/Folk/Indie/Rock/European/Gypsy (added 7/12/17)
Grace Potter & The Nocturnals - Singer-Songwriter/Rock/Indie/Female Vocals (added 8/22/17)
Guster - Indie/Alternative Rock/Dual Vocalists (added 6/29/17) ------------------------------------------------- (Satellite in production!)
Hard-Fi - Indie/Alternative Rock/British (added 6/29/17)
Harvey Danger - Alternative Rock/Singer-songwriter (added 8/31/17; "The Show Must Not Go On" unavailable on Spotify)
Hieroglyphics - Hip-Hop/Soul/Dual Vocalists/Female Vocals (added 7/17/17)
Hollerado - Indie/Rock/Canadian (added 7/20/17)
Ike Reilly - Singer-Songwriter/Rock/Dual Vocalists/Country (added 7/8/17)
The Interrupters - Punk/Female Vocals (added 7/7/17)
J. Roddy Walston & The Business - Rock (added 7/8/17)
The Jam - Rock/British (added 8/31/17)
Jenny Owen Youngs - Singer-Songwriter/Indie/Female Vocals (added 8/11/17)
Joel Plaskett Emergency - Alternative Rock/Singer-Songwriter/Canadian (added 8/11/17)
July Talk - Alternative Rock/Canadian/Dual Vocalists/Female Vocals (added 7/4/17)
Jurassic 5 - Hip-Hop/Dual Vocalists (added 1/11/18) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (NEW!)
Kaiser Chiefs - Indie/Rock/British (added 8/31/17; "Coming Up For Air" unavailable on Spotify) (Everyday I Love You Less and Less now available!)
Larry & His Flask - Punk/Folk/Indie/Alternative Rock (added 7/8/17)
Less Than Jake - Punk/Ska (added 8/31/17)
The Libertines - Indie/Rock/Punk/Dual Vocalists/English (added 8/3/17)
Lyrics Born - Hip-Hop/Soul (added 7/17/17)
Matt Mays & El Torpedo - Rock/Singer-Songwriter/Canadian (added 8/22/17)
The Mother Hips - Rock (added 8/31/17)
The Mowgli's - Indie/Dual Vocalists/Female Vocals (added 8/25/17)
Nick Lowe - Singer-Songwriter/English (added 7/20/17)
Noah and the Whale - Indie/British (added 7/20/17) ---------------------------------------------------------- (5 Years Time available here)
Operation Ivy - Punk (added 7/8/17)
The Real McKenzies - Rock/Punk/Canadian/Scottish (added 8/25/17)
The Record Company - Rock (added 7/12/17)
The Redwalls - Indie/Rock (added 7/7/17)
The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band - Indie/Country (added 7/8/17)
Roman Candle - Indie/Rock (added 7/6/17; "You Don't Belong To This World" unavailable on Spotify)
The Roots - Hip-Hop/Dual Vocalists (added 7/8/17)
Sam Roberts Band - Rock/Singer-Songwriter/Canadian (added 8/11/17)
Shovels & Rope - Folk/Dual Vocalists/Female Vocals (added 7/20/17)
Spoon - Indie/Alternative Rock (added 8/24/17)
The Trews - Rock/Canadian (added 8/22/17)
Tom Morello: The Nightwatchman - Rock/Folk/Singer-Songwriter/Country/Dual Vocalists (added 8/22/17)
The Vaccines - Indie/Punk/Alternative Rock/English (added 7/7/17)
The Vandals - Punk (added 7/12/17)
The Wallflowers - Alternative Rock/Dual Vocalists (added 8/31/17)
Warren Zevon - Singer-Songwriter/Rock (added 8/25/17)
William Elliott Whitmore - Folk/Singer-Songwriter (added 8/3/17)
White Denim - Rock/Indie (added 8/11/17)
The Wombats - Indie/British (added 6/29/17) --------------------------------------------------------- (Moving to New York now available!)
The Zutons - Indie/Rock/British (added 8/22/17; "Pressure Point" and "You've Got a Friend" unavailable on Spotify)

(Don't agree with the tags? Have a suggestion? Hit me up!)

Hi everybody. You might recognize me from the comments sections of the custom songs database. I'm often scouring it and leaving feedback and thanks for what these dedicated authors have shared with us. They selflessly sacrifice their time and effort to bring us immeasurable amounts of musical joy, but I'm insatiable. I always want more songs by more artists, and after a few months of continually remaining surprised there were literally no songs [or very, very few] by a few of my absolutely favorite bands, I've decided to make the case for five innumerable bands to have representation in Rock Band by offering three* solid suggestions for each artist. I'll try to have each suggestion be from a different album, but, as you'll see, sometimes that doesn't work out. Ideally, I'd love to see all 15 200+ songs created as customs, but I wanted to offer a variety of songs and styles to appeal to every author's taste. I want to be as thorough, passionate, and persuasive as possible. I'd be pleased as punch if each artist listed here got even one custom created. Hell, even if only one of these 15 [original] suggestions got made. Beggars can't be choosers, after all.

*As you'll see, I violate this rule often, for better or worse. Whoops.

A little about my Rock Band philosophy: When I play alone, I'm sober. When I play with friends, I drink. The more friends and proof and volume (audio and liquid), the better. I try to avoid slow-paced songs when with friends and tend to go more to the upbeat anthems and feel-good fun-time jams. While I often do not play with a completely full band, I do like to switch up my instrument playing between expert guitar, expert bass, and expert/pro keys (but I'm awful with any type of keys, lolz). I never drum and I always harmonize (if I can concentrate on strumming and singing!) if I'm not already assigned to lead vocals. Also, I'm not a musician. I don't play any instruments, but I did choir and musicals in high school. I go to a lot of concerts. I sometimes go out for karaoke, but I would rather stay in and play Rock Band with friends to get my fix. Now that you know how I play and what I aim for, here is The List™:

Edited by Atruejedi, January 16, 2018 - 05:56 AM.

#1 Ranked Wii Customs Player... because it's the Wii
"One-Trick Pony" - Details of my contributions in the database!
I can pitch vocals and provide dryvox!
In-Depth Eclectic Requests - Welcome to the underground...
Packing Like a Pro - The Guide for a Legit Wii Library
Last.fm Profile - Let's be snobs together.

#2 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 326 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 03:39 AM

Guster

gs15001_012_f.jpg

Background: I've seen Guster three times. The first time was at a crumby indoor venue. It was awesome. The second time was in a fancy indoor venue with seating. More awesome. The third time was in a public park with a flask in my back pocket. It was most awesome. They are incredibly talented musicians who never disappoint live.

The Obvious Choice:
Satellite

Album: Ganging Up On The Sun (2006)

You can listen for yourself, but here is my run-down of it musically (from a non-musician, as I said):

Vocals: Beautiful melody, lovely lyrics, soothing background harmonies.
Guitar: Acoustic chords to strum. Some fingering.
Bass: Solid bass part. Nothing too complicated.
Drums: I know nothing about drums, but it sounds pretty basic.
Keys: There's a neat synthesizer part that pops up at times. Kind of haunting and creepy.
Miscellaneous: Ending fades out, but nothing too messy.

Runner-up:
This Could All Be Yours
Album: Easy Wonderful (2010)

Stylistically different from above. A good romp live!

Vocals: Pretty basic. Nice background harmonies, as is typical of Guster. Some good oh-oh-oh's.
Guitar: Acoustic chord-fest. Neat solo.
Bass: Relatively simple bass part.
Keys: I don't hear any. Maybe chart the slide guitar to this.
Miscellaneous: Sounds driven by the kick-drum. Very upbeat. Clear ending. Fun refrain for a group of drunks.

Runner-up:
Airport Song
Album: Goldfly (1997) 

This is a staple of their live performances, and a definite crowd pleaser. Plus, it has BONGOS!

Vocals: Two vocalists doing separate parts. Very cool!
Guitar: Acoustic strumfest, per usual.
Bass: Basic. Haw.
Drums: Did you not see above? BONGOS!
Keys: Some synthesizer.
Miscellaneous: This song is INTENSE. Especially live. Watch that Conan O'Brien link (and notice they skip the bass for this performance). Bonus points if you chart the ping-pong balls to tambourine at the end... PLEASE! :D

#3 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 326 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 03:53 AM

Blitzen Trapper

Blitzen-Trapper-All-Across-This-Land.jpg

Background: I've seen these guys live once and it was a barn-burner. They have a massive catalogue, but their most well-known song, Furr, probably isn't suitable for Rock Band (it opens with 75 seconds of guitar and vocals only...). Check it out on your own if you'd like, because it is a fantastic tune. I heard a dude named Damion Suomi cover it and that's how I discovered them. So, if not Furr, what is The Obvious Choice?

The Obvious Choice:

Black River Killer

Album: Furr (2007)

A murder ballad that rings of an abandoned Bob Dylan tune. Simultaneously haunting and beautiful. I dare you to not be captivated. A personal favorite of mine.

Vocals: Pretty easy and predictable verses and refrains. Simple harmonies in the background and ooo's as well.
Guitar: Sounds straight-forward but probably a bit challenging.
Bass: Nothing difficult.
Keys: Some synthesizer.
Miscellaneous: Fades out at the end.

Runner-up:

Fletcher

Album: American Goldwing (2011)

This sounds like a modern-day Lynyrd Skynyrd song to me. A good ol' ditty 'bout drinkin' too much. Fun and somber and optimistic at the same time.

Vocals: I want to sing those harmonies. Badly.
Guitar: Guitar doesn't sound hard, but I think it sounds really fun in its simplicity.
Bass: Bass sounds pretty interesting to my untrained ear.
Keys: A nice piano accompaniment.
Miscellaneous: Nice, clean ending.

Runner-up:

Thirsty Man

Album: VII (2013)

A western-style song about lost love. I melt.

Vocals: Nothing hard. Nice harmonies throughout.
Guitar: Some nice pickin'.
Bass: I can already feel myself jammin' to this bass part.
Keys: A neat synth solo. Could even put the harmonica here if you're an overachiever.
Miscellaneous: Simple ending, thankfully.

#4 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 326 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 03:54 AM

Hard-Fi

_54815373_jex_1147689_de27-1.jpg

Background: I haven't seen these guys live, and they sort of disappeared in the past few years, after three great albums. Fingers crossed for a fourth and a tour of the States...

The Obvious Choice:

Cash Machine

Album: Stars of CCTV (2005)

Perhaps my favorite song about accidental pregnancy. This was a big hit, and I'm shocked Harmonix never released it as a single.

Vocals: Catchy. Good harmonies.
Guitar: Repetitive chords.
Bass: I feel like the bass drives this song.
Keys: Sounds like there's some synthesizer buried deep down in there. Or a harmonica could be charted here for overachievers.
Miscellaneous: Crisp ending, nothing messy.

Runner-up:

Suburban Knights

Album: Once Upon a Time In The West (2007)

A nice anthem for urban youth.

Vocals: Great hey-ey-ey harmonies during the refrain.
Guitar: Straightforward guitar part.
Bass: Interesting bass.
Keys: There's a bit of synthesizer here, but also some strings. Your choice.
Miscellaneous: Crisp ending, nothing messy (again).

Runner-up:

Killer Sounds

Album: Killer Sounds (2011)

The title track and final track of their latest (last?) effort. Stylistically, pretty different from the above. Kind of sappy, but beyond being a great song, I love it for personal reasons as well.

Vocals: Love 'em. Nice harmonies for a group, as well.
Guitar: Basic.
Bass: Interesting.
Keys: Prominent piano part.
Miscellaneous: The ending fades out with "cool" vocals, but might not be too tricky to address.

#5 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 326 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 04:16 AM

The Wombats

TheWombats_anti-d.gif

Background: One of the first concerts I ever attended. Insane band. Three dudes bouncing all over the stage, with the bassist climbing on top of a stack of amps into the corner during the encore... definitely made me a concert addict! They've really moved away from straight up rock 'n' roll as they've released more albums, which is why I selected two songs from their debut. Unfortunately, while I love their sophomore album, This Modern Glitch, it's so electronic that it didn't seem to fit well with Rock Band. So, rule broken. Deal with it. B)

The Obvious Choice:

Moving To New York

Available now! Download here

Album: The Wombats Proudly Present: A Guide to Love, Loss & Desperation (2007)

I put one foot forward and ended up 30 yards back
Am I losing touch or am I just completely off the track?

It really was a toss-up between this and the first runner-up. Both are insane and were quite popular. Surprised the Wombats never had a song or two released by Harmonix. Their loss could be our gain! ;)

Vocals: Nice "ooo" harmonies. Could have some claps on tambourine.
Guitar: Sounds pretty intense. Varied!
Bass: INTENSE. Rockin'!
Drums: I know nothing about drums, but it sounds pretty intense. Definitely drives the song. Sounds like WORK.
Keys: Synthesizer is prominent near the ending.
Miscellaneous: The theme here is intensity. Glad it has a crisp, clear ending. Could be considered a Christmas song!

Runner-up (or other Obvious Choice, up to you):

Let's Dance to Joy Division

Album: The Wombats Proudly Present: A Guide to Love, Loss & Desperation (2007)

Let's dance to Joy Division
And celebrate the irony
Everything is going wrong
But we're so happy

I'm shocked Harmonix never released this song as a single. This was their smash hit.

Vocals: An anthem with appropriate background singers on harmonies.
Guitar: Similar to above.
Bass: See above.
Drums: See above.
Keys: A bit of synthesizer.
Miscellaneous: A nice, crisp ending. You don't have to chart the laughing ;)

Runner-up:

Your Body is a Weapon

Album: Glitterbug (2015)

Your body is a weapon, love
And it makes me wanna cry
My body is a temple of doom
Doomed not to be by your side

Honestly, this might be my favorite Wombats song. Those bastards teased it years before it came out, and it drove me crazy waiting for the album. It was worth the wait, but, again, it's such an evolution from their debut sound. Not that that's bad! I dig both styles.

Vocals: Pretty simple. Cute. Fun background shouts.
Guitar: Sounds buried at times, but it's there. A great version can be seen here if that helps with the charting.
Bass: Sounds interesting enough.
Drums: I have no opinion on drums, which you should have figured out by now.
Keys: Sounds like there's some subtle synthesizer in there, especially during the bridge before the wacky guitar solo.
Miscellaneous: Nice crisp ending featuring piano.

#6 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 326 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 04:38 AM

Dawes

Music-MAIN-Dawes-2016-credit-Matt-Jacoby

Background: Finally saw these guys live recently in a public setting, flask in tow. Marvelous. Especially their performance of the two songs I'm not going to request. I can hear Dawes fans already: "Why didn't you request A Little Bit of Everything? What about All Your Favorite Bands!?" Both of those songs are two of my absolute favorite Dawes songs, but oftentimes they don't have much going on. Trust me, I'd love to see them in Rock Band, but I don't want to bore players with long stretches of nothing to do. That being said... if those two songs happen to be created by the authors here, I will not complain. Actually, the opposite: I will gush. I am selfless, for I have tried to keep the happiness of the entire band in mind. So! Without those two tunes, what is the Obvious Choice?

The Obvious Choice:

Time Spent in Los Angeles

Album: Nothing Is Wrong (2011)

One of my favorite Dawes songs, beyond the two mentioned above. This one would totally fit in Rock Band, even if it's a bit slow for my Rock Band tastes. Sometimes a favorite tune can surpass the limitations of the video game, I guess :)

Vocals: Lovely harmonies.
Guitar: Soothing.
Bass: Yawn.
Drums: They're there. Pretty basic.
Keys: Is that a pipe organ? Awesome!
Miscellaneous: Nice ending, easy to chart.

Runner-up:

If I Wanted Someone

Album: Nothing Is Wrong (2011)

I know, I broke the rule about the same album again, and this is the track immediately following the Obvious Choice on this album. But what a good song. Again, this typically wouldn't be my ideal style for a song in Rock Band, but the quality of the writing and composition just make it more fun :) . A sort-of love song burning underneath with some type of anger. It's kind of unsettling if you listen closely. This is an anthem when you see 'em live. It's bad-ass.

Vocals: Beautiful melody and accompanying harmony.
Guitar: Sounds really interesting and varied, actually. Nice solo!
Bass: Basic but not too boring.
Drums: They're there. Sound pretty simple.
Keys: There's a piano part!
Miscellaneous: Nice, clean ending for charting.

Runner-up:

One Of Us

We're All Gonna Die (2016)

I won't pretend to really understand this song, but something about it is compelling, especially live. At first, I thought it was really, really stupid. And it's definitely not one of my favorite songs. Plus, for Dawes, it just sounds different from their usual fare, particularly because of that distorted guitar.

Vocals: Straight-forward. Nice opportunities for harmonies.
Guitar: Doesn't sound hard. Opportunities for variation.
Bass: Doesn't sound hard.
Drums: I know nothing about drums. Doesn't sound hard, though.
Keys: I don't hear any, but they could be buried in there somewhere.
Miscellaneous: Crisp ending.

#7 MrPrezident

MrPrezident

C3U Moderator

• 670 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 05:20 AM

This is the best request thread I've ever seen.  Well done.   I'm going to dig into these songs next week and see what grabs me.  

Thanks!!

-= My Profile =-    -= My Customs =-

#8 i0brendan0

i0brendan0
  • 78 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 06:33 AM

Hey. Guster - Satellite is totally on my list of songs I'm going to do at some point. It's one of those songs I'm surprised no one has taken already and It's one of my favorite indie-ish songs. This could probably bump it up on my list of songs on my WIP list.

My WIP thread

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game Soundtrack WIP

Freezepop Pack 01 WIP

Strange - Venue being made by Ultimate_MANG0

Lose That Boy - ~48% completed

Lady Spider - 0% completed

#9 murlatok

murlatok
  • 98 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 09:43 AM

http://customscreato...ack/?hl=wombats

Check out this thread i case you didn't, since it has The Wombats song in there, a different one though.

About 'This Modern Glitch': i think the song 'Techno Fan' would've keep all the instrument players entertained enough throughout the song (can't actually remeber any songs off this album, gotta re-listen).

Great thread overall. Definitely a landmark of this sub-forum.

#10 pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie
  • 141 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 04:41 PM

agree - love the thread and will try and find time to listen to these bands.

Not that i am an author or anything but I am always up to finding new bands to listen to !

#11 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 326 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 06:13 PM

Thank you for the kind words, everybody! Go big or go home, I always say. I just hope the effort converts some of you into fans, or, even better, gets some tunes charted... ;) . All of these bands have sooo much great material. If you find any of them interesting, just give their Top 10 popular songs on Spotify a proverbial spin and see if you dig 'em!

http://customscreato...ack/?hl=wombats

Check out this thread i case you didn't, since it has The Wombats song in there, a different one though.

GAH! WHAT!? Why isn't this in the database!? Downloading now! Thanks for the info! :o

[Edit] Just played it. Guitar is very well charted, but there are no vocals and the audio is REALLY loud... I wonder if somebody would want to tune this up. The author, RedVIII, no longer appears active (February). If the vocals were charted, I could pitch them.

#12 i0brendan0

i0brendan0
  • 78 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 06:50 PM

Thank you for the kind words, everybody! Go big or go home, I always say. I just hope the effort converts some of you into fans, or, even better, gets some tunes charted... ;) . All of these bands have sooo much great material. If you find any of them interesting, just give their Top 10 popular songs on Spotify a proverbial spin and see if you dig 'em!

GAH! WHAT!? Why isn't this in the database!? Downloading now! Thanks for the info! :o

Yeah, if you wait like a week or two, I can get a WIP at least of Satellite done. I have no clue as to why HMX never sought out the opportunity to make it DLC. It's a great song. Also, I might be able to chart pro keys for it. Depending on what I chart on keys.

My WIP thread

Freezepop Pack 01 WIP

#13 TomGuy

TomGuy
  • 328 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 08:41 PM

That's a pretty dope request list.  I'm surprised no one has done Satellite from Guster either, I love that song.  Very surprised you have Hard-Fi up there.  I dig them a lot.  If I were going to do a song from them it would probably be Stop.  That song shreds, although your selections are pretty tasty as well.

#14 i0brendan0

i0brendan0
  • 78 posts

Posted July 1, 2017 - 10:20 PM

So here's a WIP of Satellite by Guster. Thanks to Chainsaw Octopus for the drum chart which I made small adjustments to. Also includes a keys part. I think I can end up charting pro keys eventually. Guitar and Bass might be difficult to chart so if there's anyone else who wants to help let me know. But vocals is going to be fun. It's always fun to chart.

http://customscreato...atellite-r17337

My WIP thread

Freezepop Pack 01 WIP

#15 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 326 posts

Posted July 4, 2017 - 02:54 PM

July Talk

July-talk.jpg

Background: Happy birthday, 'Merica! Today is July 4th, so I thought I'd update this post to request July Talk... even though they're Canadian :haw:. This post is somewhat recycled, because it was sent to MrPrez during our discussion of what artists and songs I thought his Canada 150 project could include. Because of that, it breaks the Rule of Three I established in the first post, only because I didn't have the heart to cut my four suggestions for him down to three. For this band, I picked tunes that all sound pretty different to me, at least as an avid listener. Of the list, I think only The Garden was a single/hit. When choosing, I really tried to be unbiased; the songs that are my favorites or singles didn't seem to translate well into having a fun factor (notably Push + Pull and Picturing Love, which are fantastic songs which you should listen to immediately). I've seen this band live twice and talked to them once after a show. They are amazingly friendly and humble people and I cannot stress what an incredible live act they are. Go see them! They deserve their Juno! Now, without further adieu...

The Obvious Choice:
The Garden
Album: July Talk (2012)

Just a bad-ass jam. I don't think this one needs an introduction or explanation. It was a popular single, as far as I know. Has a kind of cowboy cadence to it, which is nice. Fades into the second track and single, Guns + Ammunition, from the same album, but I'm not sure how fun that would be in-game. Still, it would be cool to have them connected as a single "medley" including both of them... pipe dreams, eh? ;). Also, pretty sure this was a single in 2015, which seems really late when the album came out so much earlier. I didn't hear it until 2014.

Vocals: An angel and a devil. Not really a duet, but the contrast between their styles and voices is just fascinating.
Guitar: Variety! A bit of all styles here, including a solo.
Bass: Pretty standard, although it might be a bit more tricky than I anticipate...
Drums: Sounds like a workout.
Keys: I don't hear anything.
Miscellaneous: Fades out, but on the album it leads directly into the following track, Guns + Ammunition.

Runner-up:
Now I Know
Album: Touch (2016)

This song wasn't even on my radar when I began compiling my list of suggestions, but I think it could be really fun in Rock Band. It's the only suggestion from their second album, which had very good singles (Picturing Love and Push + Pull) that I don't think would be much fun to play compared to this.

Vocals: Definitely focuses moreso on the female side of vocals this time, which is awesome. I feel empowered! But he can sure rip those vocals during the second half!
Guitar: Guitar sounds pretty bad-ass, but not difficult.
Bass: Pretty forgettable compared to everything else happening here.
Drums: Does that cowbell get charted here? :D
Keys: Something is happening for this slot, but I can't tell what the hell it is. It kind of makes a "Hee-HAW" sound during the refrain. Probably a synth of some sort.
Miscellaneous: Crisp, abrupt ending.

Runner-up:
Don't Call Home

Yes, this is the second choice from this album. They only have two records, and I gave MrPrez four suggestions! I'm sorry! Definitely one of my favorites, though. I hope you'll dig it as well.

Vocals: The chance for complexly charted 3-part harmonies with one male lead, one female lead, and one female backup singer.
Guitar: Chords, some slide. Nothing special, but still would keep a player busy.
Bass: Bass sounds interesting to me, as an avid plastic bass player.
Drums: Drums sound pretty easy yet pretty fun to non-drummer me.
Keys: Some keys at the end! Can't tell if they are buried anywhere else in the song, but they're prominent in the last minute.

Runner-up:
Headsick

Just a simple, good song. Yes, it's the third song from this album, so I broke my rule... again. Not even one of my favorites, really, but I think it translates well into Rock Band. Hard to say much more. I only chose it to show their different styles. If I were to cut these four songs listed down to only three, this guy wouldn't be here. Doesn't mean it's a bad song or choice, though! Man, I feel like a dick now. Stupid self-imposed rules.

Vocals: Similar to above, but nice harmonies during the refrain, one gruff and one gentle.
Guitar: Chordfest. Nothing difficult, but nothing mind-blowing.
Bass: Sounds pretty simple.
Drums: Sounds repetitive to my untrained ear.
Keys: Again, I don't hear anything.
Miscellaneous: Crisp, abrupt ending.

#16 Chainsaw Octopus

Chainsaw Octopus
  • 89 posts

Posted July 6, 2017 - 05:12 AM

I'm starting on "Moving To New York" by The Wombats, the drums sound like they're going to be a lot of fun.

Custom Songs Thread / YouTube / C3U Page / Last.fm

PSN: ChainsawOctopus

Xbox Live: ChainsawOctopus

#17 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 326 posts

Posted July 6, 2017 - 10:23 PM

Roman Candle

romancandle_2-506x340.jpg

Background: The keenest of you are saying, "But Atruejedi, you said you wanted bands with NO representation in Rock Band! Roman Candle has a song on the Rock Band Network!" They sure do, and it's a good tune! But I use a Wii and cannot purchase this song. So, technically, there are no Roman Candle songs available... for me ;). Hopefully you'll indulge my violation of this rule, because it was very difficult to select one song from each of their albums, since their 2011 sophomore release is just jammed with amazing tunes. It was easy to choice The Obvious Choice, however, because it also doubles as my favorite song by the band.

The Obvious Choice:

Why Modern Radio is A-OK

Album: Oh Tall Tree In The Ear (2011)

Some of my favorite lyrics of all time. I love the criticism of modern radio and the lamentation of the death of quality music. I'm surprised this wasn't the song selected for the Rock Band Network. Their loss is my gain, I hope! :D

Vocals: Some might be turned off by his vocal style in this song, but if you hate it, I urge you to listen to the other songs below, which feature much more pleasant vocals. No harmonies.
Guitar: Lots of chords, in a good way.
Bass: Pretty standard.
Drums: Nothing special.
Keys: Synthesizer is prominent in the background, and a pipe organ as well! The harmonica could also be charted here during the "solo."
Miscellaneous: No need to chart those backwards lyrics at the beginning. Nice ending. Also, I request "sack of monkeys" be talkies so I can scream them in anger. ;)

Runner-up:

Not Strangers Anymore

Album: Debris (2013)

A gentle song, with a more "modern" sound compared to the other choices. I could fall asleep to this, in a good way.

Vocals: Actually pretty, especially compared to The Obvious Choice. Some sort of background vocals are happening here.
Guitar: Sounds varied to me.
Bass: Pretty bland affair, I think.
Drums: I can't tell if it's easy or interesting or difficult or boring.
Keys: Constant synth in the background. Sounds fun to play while singing.
Miscellaneous: Nice, crisp ending.

Runner-up:

You Don't Belong To This World

Album: The Wee Hours Revue (2006)

I just love this guy's songwriting. He really paints vivid pictures. A great example of that. Now I want to order a rum and lemonade!

Vocals: Good lyrics, much less abrasive singing than what's featured in the Obvious Choice. No harmonies.
Guitar: Chords. A little solo of sorts.
Bass: Sounds super fun.
Drums: They sound interesting to my untrained ear.
Keys: Synthesizer of some sort.
Miscellaneous: Crisp ending. This song is not available on Spotify.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@TomGuy: I agree, Stop is a great choice as well. But tough choices had to be made... :(

@i0brendan0: Sweet! I'll update the OP.

@Chainsaw Octopus: Great news! I'll update the OP.

#18 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 326 posts

Posted July 7, 2017 - 10:55 PM

The Redwalls
Group_3_067.jpg

Background: These guys had three delightfully eclectic albums and then-- POOF! Gone. Such a tragedy, because there's some real talent here. I wish I'd have known of them before they disappeared, or, better yet, seen them live. I'm not surprised they were never considered for a custom, but I feel like if more people knew they even existed, something would have been created. They have so many fantastic tunes that would fit perfectly in your song libraries, so I feel guilty sticking to the Rule of Three here... then again, I violate my own standards not irregularly anyway, so this is my penance, I suppose. Anyway. The ball's in your court now, forum. I've done my part to knock down the barriers of ignorance. ;)

The Obvious Choice:
Colorful Revolution
Album: Universal Blues (2003)

This song sounds like the Beatles and Bob Dylan had a beautiful, time-traveling baby. This is the opening track from their debut album and really sets one of the tones heard throughout their short career together. But if this sound isn't your bag, do not fret. The songs below sound completely different.

Vocals: Really fun melody, pretty background harmonies.
Guitar: All over the place. Lots of styles for lots of fun! Great little solo, too.
Bass: Fairly repetitive but soooo groovy, baby.
Drums: I know nothing about drums, but it sounds fairly simple.
Keys: Piano sounds simple but enjoyable. I really wanna tap it out while singing harmonies!
Miscellaneous: It has its own count-in! And a crisp ending.

Runner-up:
Hangman
Album: The Redwalls (2007)

Do you wish the concept of bad-assery could be transmuted into a living, breathing, song? Well, this is the song for you. A great example of what rock 'n' roll could-- nay, should be.

Vocals: Nice background harmonies. Throat-destroying primary vocals, especially during the refrain. If you aren't screaming these defiant lyrics, you aren't doing it right. I'd feel dirty crooning these vocals... that would be cheating, cheater! To the gallows with ye!

Guitar: Lots of guitar going on here, so take your pick (puns).
Bass: Holy moly! That rumbling bass part just makes me shiver.
Drums: Sounds like standard rock 'n' roll, which ain't a bad thing, brother.
Keys: None.

Runner-up:
Rock & Roll
Album: De Nova (2005)

Come on, little girl! This swingin' number will have you twisting and shouting and clapping to the beat... and if it doesn't, you just don't know cool, square! The Redwalls have pure talent when it comes to channeling by-gone eras of music, and this song wonderfully encapsulates early rock 'n' roll... hence the title. Two minutes of pure, nostalgic ecstacy (wink).

Vocals: I am a choir boy, and that depresses me, because I absolutely dream of singing like this... such a great rock 'n' roll voice.
Guitar: The ladies will a'hoppin' and a'boppin' when you dazzle them with your fingers! A rockin' lil' solo to boot.
Bass: It actually sounds pretty darn fun, but nothing revolutionary.
Drums: Standard rockin' drums. You'll have fun, even if it ain't nothin' special.
Keys: Pffft! This is rock, son. Ain't no room for keys!

#19 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 326 posts

Posted July 7, 2017 - 11:11 PM

The Vaccines
6900698.jpg

Background: I was lucky enough to see these guys perform right before their drummer quit the band, and they are a sloppy, raucous good time to see live (perhaps were, now). They bring a lot of unpolished, raw energy to their shows that isn't my typical reason for seeing bands in concert, but it really works for them. You might describe the performance as sick. Their first album, What Did You Expect From The Vaccines?, is a masterpiece of a debut. It really channels the sound of early rock 'n' roll. It's got the energy and the spunk and the garage acoustics. The two following albums are good, but definitely different at best and weird at worst... even though much of that weird is generally interesting and enjoyable. For that reason, though, I had to double-up on choices from their first album and still decided to provide one song a piece from their other efforts. Rule violation, I know. If you're unfamiliar with the band, I hope at least one of the selections below infect your ears... get it?

The Obvious Choice:
If You Wanna
Album: What Did You Expect From The Vaccines? (2011)

As I intimated above, their entire debut record is a joy, so the Obvious Choice would clearly come from this album... but which song? The opening track, Wreckin' Bar (Ra Ra Ra), was a contender, but it's just such a short song. This one has a bit more meat on its bones. Let me elaborate:

Vocals: A fairly simple, pleasant crooning melody with subtle backing harmonies during the refrain. Refreshingly honest (and sad, really) lyrics.
Guitar: Chords. Lots of 'em.
Bass: Standard bass fare.
Drums: Phew. Break out your water bottles and sweat bands, kids. Time to do some work.
Keys: Hey, there's even a cute little keyboard solo! Or maybe that's a guitar... hard to tell. But neat!
Miscellaneous: Abrupt, solid ending.

Runner-up:
All In White
Album: What Did You Expect From The Vaccines? (2011)

The crowd go crazy when this song is performed at their shows... and I can't blame them. Something about it is just compelling and cool. At first I was surprised this made my suggestion list, but the more I think about it, no, I shouldn't be surprised at all. It's a great tune, and the problem is the Vaccines have too many songs that could be the Obvious Choice. I chose this one as a runner-up because it's a bit slower and doesn't represent them entirely... but no single song could.

Vocals: Just a melody. No harmonies needed for this gem. The crowd usually provides their own backing vocals.
Guitar: Chords. Something that could be charted as a solo, but not really a solo, per se.
Bass: Standard bass line is the foundation here.
Drums: Standard stuff most of the time, but it sounds pretty fun and there are definitely some interesting parts.
Keys: None.
Miscellaneous: Slow, crisp ending.

Runner-up:
Minimal Affection
Album: English Graffiti (2015)

Almost sounds like a Cars song, which is a profound compliment. A radical departure from the sound of their first album. Again, that's not a bad thing, just... unexpected. Hey. If it's good, it's good. And it's good.

Vocals: Smooth and relaxing. Not challenging by any means. Some buried, subtle harmonies in there.
Guitar: Guitar takes a backseat to the synthesizer most of the time, but it's there and even prominent at times.
Bass: It's there. Nothing special.
Drums: See above. Sorry, drummers.
Keys: Wacky synthesizer which is really darn cool and the backbone of this song, sonically.
Miscellaneous: Abrupt ending.

Runner-up:
Bad Mood
Album: Come of Age (2012)

A personal favorite. A really bad-ass song, especially live. Borderline punk, and we all know Rock Band needs more non-pop punk. It was so intense being in the crowd when this was performed. Even the wall-flowers were jumping around with their heads banging! Feeeel it!

Vocals: No harmonies. For a punk song, it's surprisingly refined, vocally. Might remind you of The Damned. Brooding is a good adjective to describe this one.
Guitar: Shred that shiz, son! Woo!
Bass: Standard.
Drums: Also standard.
Keys: Keys would ruin the point of this. None.
Miscellaneous: Crisp.

#20 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 326 posts

Posted July 8, 2017 - 12:31 AM

The Interrupters

the-interrupters-band.jpg

Background: Okay, I’ll admit it… I have a thing for hellcat punk. I love this chick’s raspy energy. I’ve read criticism online centering around the fact that this band offers nothing new; they’re just a generic hellcat punk/ska band. And perhaps they are, but is that so bad? Do they need to offer something new and different? Honestly, the scene seems pretty dead (to me; maybe I’m missing out!), so I’ve welcomed them on my playlists. I hope you’ll welcome them into your ears as well.

The Obvious Choice:

She Got Arrested

Album: Say It Out Loud (2016)

This song is the punk/ska equivalent of Goodbye Earl by the Dixie Chicks (the Me First and the Gimme Gimmes cover of that song would be a great candidate for custom creation). Feminism rules! Castrate the misogynistic, knuckle-dragging governmant! ...Ahem. Sorry.

Vocals: A raspy, sexy melody (don’t judge me) with many different types of backing vocals. Harmony heaven. Get ready for triple awesomes, try-hards!

Guitar: Ska guitar. A solo or two or three.

Bass: Ska bass. Funky fun!

Drums: Drums. Are ska drums a thing? I’m pretty ignorant on this. Sounds pretty basic, anyway.

Keys: Pipe organ! Get ready to hold down those ivories.

Runner-up:

Babylon

Oh man, does it get much more punk/ska than this? The way she sings this one is just so… Operation Ivy, honestly! A high compliment! Great lyrics, great instrumentals, a great message… an instant classic for the revolutionaries among us. Rise up, sheeple!

Vocals: Fun main vocal part, lots of background vocals for rude boys and rude girls alike.

Guitar: Ska guitar, but some rock ‘n’ roll buried in there as well.

Bass: Ska bass. More funky fun.

Drums: I don’t know enough about drums to make a comment.

Keys: Pipe organ solo! Yahoo!

Miscellaneous: I almost wish I made this the Obvious Choice. It's just such a joy of a song.

Runner-up:

Take Back The Power

Album: The Interrupters (2014)

The opening track from their debut album. Definitely an anthem and a classically composed, socially conscience punk standard-bearer. I'm going to violate my Rule of Three, however, because I couldn't decide between this song and the following suggestion. There's no need for both in Rock Band, but they're both great tunes.

Vocals: Get the crowd fired up, ‘cause they’ll be backing up the main vocalist on this number.

Guitar: A couple solos of sorts. Gets pretty crazy near the end.

Bass: Just a standard punk bass part.

Drums: Standard punk drums.

Keys: Nope. Get out of here, hippie.

Miscellaneous: A nice, crisp ending.

Runner-up:

On A Turntable

This might be a retread when compared to Take The Power Back above, as thematically they are somewhat similar. But I still love it, especially the allusion of the world spinning like a turntable. Not sure which I'd prefer, as there's no need for both in your library (unless some author falls in love with this band ;)).

Vocals: A good anthem for parties. Plenty for the crowd to help out with.

Guitar: Lots of chords. A nice solo.

Bass: More rock than ska this time, bassists.

Drums: They’re there. Lots of things to hit.

Keys: Nope.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users