Dark horse customs-- what are your under-the-radar favorites?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 235 posts

Posted June 17, 2017 - 09:12 PM

Sup dudes? I'm relatively new 'round these parts, and this is my first "real" forum post. I've been scouring the customs database (and the old Legacy database; I'm a Wii user :v: ) for about a week trying to hunt down all the goodies, both known and unknown. During that quest, I've found myself wondering... am I missing something fun? Obviously I'll investigate and likely download songs by artists with whom I'm already familiar... but if Rock Band has taught me anything in the past decade, it's that there are great bands out there you just rarely (or never) get to hear, unfortunately (Mother Hips!). So, let's discover some great tracks together!

Think of the tracks you've played where you weren't expecting anything mind-blowing, but then-- BOOM!-- brains everywhere.

Off the top of my head (and it's worth noting my library has increased from 343 to over 800 songs in the past couple of weeks, so my brain might be a bit foggy...), the custom songs that have really surprised and/or impressed me since I found this website are...

The Hooters - And We Danced ( http://customscreato...we-danced-r5969 )

Come on; everybody knows this song, even if they don't know they do, and the band is called the HOOTERS... tee-hee-hee. So I thought, Hey, a party pleaser for drunk folk*. Let's do it! But it's even better than I thought. The guitar part is incredibly intuitive and engaging and the chart is now one of my favorites of the past decade. Not to mention the vocals are really fun and it's got three-part harmonies for maximum inebriated Awesome!s. So hit the beach, liars in love. I'll bring the Corona.

Loggins and Messina - Your Mama Don't Dance ( http://customscreato...nt-dance-r16645 )

Like the above song, I snagged this well-known classic (also about dancing, or the lack thereof) for the sake of having a "simple" "novelty" song for parties. But what I actually acquired has brilliant harmonies, a solid guitar part, and the bass chart that is just a joysplosion. I can't get enough of it; even sober, it has me dancing around the room like a fool (which would be ironic, if I had children). I will be forcing friends to play this for years to come. Or maybe I won't, because duress won't be necessary with such a hip track. So even if it's 10:01 PM, keep on rockin', mom and dad.

The Smiths - How Soon Is Now? ( http://customscreato...oon-is-now-r775 )

I realize this is a C3 release, and therefore might not be under the radar... but you shut your mouth! :cool:  It's okay to be emo in the '80s when you're playing a bass chart as interesting as this! Totally unexpected but entirely welcome. It perfectly encapsulates the point of this thread: little expected, lots received. It has me craving Morr...issey...

Alright, forum-goers... there are three suggestions from me, so now it's your turn! Help me and your fellow fret-fingerers uncover the hidden gems we might otherwise have left buried in the dirt of the ditty database§! I'd prefer you limit your list to between one and three specific songs, just to force you to make hard decisions. The cream rises to the top, right? Eric would surely agree.

Also, am I allowed to post a link to my last.fm profile in my signature? I read the forum rules about personal information and I didn't want to violate etiquette in my first post. I doubt there would be a problem, but I want to err on the side of caution... I like you guys and want to stick around!

Disclaimer: I don't play the drums, but don't let that influence your choices! A banger is a banger.

* That includes me

† Ewww

oh god I'm sorry

§ 80% of this sentence embarrasses even me

please stop me

#1 Ranked Wii Customs Player... because it's the Wii
1,522 songs in my library-- and growing!
In-Depth Eclectic Requests - Welcome to the underground...

Packing Like a Pro - The Guide for a Legit Wii Library

Dark horse customs - Recommend an underappreciated gem!
Last.fm Profile - Let's be snobs together.

I can pitch vocals and provide dryvox!

#2 doa

doa
  • 90 posts

Posted June 17, 2017 - 10:14 PM

I'm not sure that these are all really under the radar but these are a few of the songs that I enjoy playing the most (mostly not what I would listen to a whole lot outside of the game (except for Annihilator lol):

The Donnas - Take it off

The Donnas - Fall Behind Me

Annihilator - Alison Hell

Blondie - Hanging on the Telephone

Are there any more bands like The Donnas that I am missing - I hadn't really heard any of their stuff before playing Rock Band (and I am not familiar with their discography) a little surprised that they don't have more songs in the database ... 

#3 rawsewage

rawsewage
  • 97 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 01:15 AM

Manilla Road-Flaming Metal Systems.

#4 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 235 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 08:25 PM

I'm not sure that these are all really under the radar but these are a few of the songs that I enjoy playing the most (mostly not what I would listen to a whole lot outside of the game (except for Annihilator lol):

The Donnas - Take it off
The Donnas - Fall Behind Me

"New Kid in School" is a fun Donnas track! And you're right, I never thought to look up other tracks by them (because New Kid in School isn't on Spotify!), so good suggestion! I gave them a proverbial spin on Spotify and they sound like a great time! I'll snag those two tracks, thanks a lot :)

Annihilator - Alison Hell

Definitely a cool song to listen to... but I know I wouldn't have fun playing it because brutal. I can feel my fingers failing on the frets already...

Blondie - Hanging on the Telephone

Another cool song, but this one is official DLC! :argh:

Are there any more bands like The Donnas that I am missing - I hadn't really heard any of their stuff before playing Rock Band (and I am not familiar with their discography) a little surprised that they don't have more songs in the database ...

Are you familiar with L7? They are another chick band that had a song on disc from Harmonix, "Pretend We're Dead"  :rock: . They're a bad-ass band but haven't seen any customs. They have one DLC song available from Harmonix, "Andres."

Manilla Road-Flaming Metal Systems.

Oooo. I like the style and the vocals... reminds me of Blue Oyster Cult crossed with Iron Maiden. But all those devil stars... I'd have the same problem described above with the Annihilator song... it would beat my ass on a plastic instrument so hard I just wouldn't have a good time voxtaring it :D . I tried to listen to D.O.A. and Forbidden Zone on Spotify (the two other songs listed in the database), but they aren't available. Derp.

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback, gents, and am hoping for more! :)

#1 Ranked Wii Customs Player... because it's the Wii
1,522 songs in my library-- and growing!
In-Depth Eclectic Requests - Welcome to the underground...

Packing Like a Pro - The Guide for a Legit Wii Library

Dark horse customs - Recommend an underappreciated gem!
Last.fm Profile - Let's be snobs together.

I can pitch vocals and provide dryvox!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users