Rhythm Game (RB Clone) - Updates Thread

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Maxton

Maxton
  • 31 posts

Posted April 29, 2017 - 11:55 AM

Nice work, I too have been working on a RB clone in Unity. I'd be interested to know how you get your framerate so high. Are you decoding the audio directly or do you have to convert it first?

If you want easy support for CON files I have a library called "GameArchives" written in C# which you could use (LGPL-licensed), it has a pretty solid API for file access: https://github.com/maxton/GameArchives

#22 ofsp6070

ofsp6070
  • 13 posts

Posted April 29, 2017 - 03:40 PM

For the audio files I just load them directly into the game with WWW which then goes into different audio sources that have seperate mixer groups in it so I can later add things like bass boost or a mute if failed thing. For the framerate i just did something similar to lightmapping. I disabled all the lights on the scene, set all shaders to unlit and create textures with the reflections and light baked on them, also I tried to optimize the models by creating a very low poly version of them and... Instead of Instantiating the notes on realtime I just pre spawn them before the song starts and then just I just enable them as needed.

#23 doa

doa
  • 89 posts

Posted April 30, 2017 - 06:03 AM

This looks very promising! :)

#24 Domino

Domino
  • 240 posts

Posted May 1, 2017 - 09:50 AM

I saw this on reddit, interesting. I know it's early stages, but you should think about lane/highway speed when using lower difficulties. ie: easy is not just expert speed with less gems. And then how this relates to showing multiple lanes at the same time so they stay in sync.

Good luck.

#25 ofsp6070

ofsp6070
  • 13 posts

Posted May 1, 2017 - 06:32 PM

That's already in! I'll include a setting to test out those things :)

#26 wenbeiss

wenbeiss
  • 29 posts

Posted May 3, 2017 - 02:53 AM

Actually, the way Rock Band manages vocals technically is beyond impressive. There's so much in there that I don't think any independent programmer could really ever replicate anything like that not only in terms of pitching recognition but also vibrato, timing, etc.

No offense to the programmers at Harmonix, but it's pretty simple to understand once you've looked at the source code for a few guitar tuner apps. Some have better, more complex ways of detecting pitch while others have way easier albeit slightly less accurate ways that can be pretty easily replicated in a game like this. I'm assuming Harmonix went with the former, probably FFT, which is the standard way of analyzing frequency, but it's really not entirely necessary when there's other ways that don't require as much expertise as FFT does.

#27 ofsp6070

ofsp6070
  • 13 posts

Posted May 4, 2017 - 01:12 AM

Hey everyone! Since the last update I've been working on adding gameplay to the game. The gameplay shown in the video is still a bit basic and has some bugs but it's getting somewhere. (Keep in mind that I'm also using a Keyboard =P). I should have a public build in the next few days!

Changelog since last update:
Hit Detection System
Input System
Basic Score System

TODO:
- Improve Score System (Sustains, OD, etc.)
- OD and Solo markers that affect on gameplay. (Right now if you strum those notes, they won't give OD or they won't count for a solo section).
- Drum Gameplay
- Instrument Support - LOTS OF BUG FIXING!

#28 Bansheeflyer

Bansheeflyer

• 1,120 posts

Posted May 4, 2017 - 06:55 AM

What? Only 500-600FPS? Talk about poor optimization. ;)

Starting to look good! Will we get to only use a keyboard to play it? Haha, that would change the entire definition of a "keytar".

As a moderator I enforce the law...in moderation.

My Customs
My Works in Progress

#29 Farottone

Farottone

The Lean Mean Customs Charting Machine

• Administrator
  • 6,129 posts

Posted May 4, 2017 - 10:24 AM

No offense to the programmers at Harmonix, but it's pretty simple to understand once you've looked at the source code for a few guitar tuner apps. Some have better, more complex ways of detecting pitch while others have way easier albeit slightly less accurate ways that can be pretty easily replicated in a game like this. I'm assuming Harmonix went with the former, probably FFT, which is the standard way of analyzing frequency, but it's really not entirely necessary when there's other ways that don't require as much expertise as FFT does.

No offense but either you know how their system works or you don't. If you do, you know that pure pitch detection is only a part of the system (setting aside the fact that tuning a guitar != detecting vocals pitch), there's way more to do to get from the player signing to a score being awarded.

#30 ofsp6070

ofsp6070
  • 13 posts

Posted May 4, 2017 - 03:01 PM

What? Only 500-600FPS? Talk about poor optimization. ;)

Starting to look good! Will we get to only use a keyboard to play it? Haha, that would change the entire definition of a "keytar".

It will support instruments too at a certain point :)

#31 ofsp6070

ofsp6070
  • 13 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 04:30 AM

Hey Everyone! It's been almost a month since the last video I uploaded (that was quick...) and I know i said it will only take days to upload a build but I took the decision to delay it so I can polish as much as can before anyone could play it. I hope that all this time reflects on the actual gameplay!

In case you don't know about the project read this:

Gameplay Video:

Right now it's only compatible with PC. I can't tell for sure if i'll release a port for Mac and Linux because of me using a custom input system... but i'll try to do it! Remember it can play all kinds of customs for Phase Shift!

All you need to know for you to get songs into the game and on how to play is included in the readme file. PLEASE READ IT! I also included some songs and a list of changes between the private build I made (last month) and this one if you are interested :)

I hope all of you enjoy this VERY EARLY build of this project. Remember, Feedback is very important for me. Please report anything you like/dislike or any bug you find. It will help me to polish the game even more! ENJOY!

#32 Bansheeflyer

Bansheeflyer

• 1,120 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 06:41 AM

Looking good! I probably won't have much time in the near future to playtest this but from what I see through the video the functionality looks great!

As a moderator I enforce the law...in moderation.

My Customs
My Works in Progress

#33 SynthStreaks

SynthStreaks
  • 116 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 07:31 PM

Download link isn't working?

#34 ofsp6070

ofsp6070
  • 13 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 07:46 PM

Download link isn't working?

Hey sorry about that, i just updated the link :)

#35 ofsp6070

ofsp6070
  • 13 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 07:47 PM

Looking good! I probably won't have much time in the near future to playtest this but from what I see through the video the functionality looks great!

Thanks!

#36 Coolkidx86

Coolkidx86
  • 39 posts

Posted July 4, 2017 - 04:27 AM

Also, RhythmGame now has an official discord for anyone interested in following the project.

https://discord.gg/JYQW5JJ

and no, I'm not ofsp6070 before anyone asks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users