Rhythm Game (RB Clone) - Updates Thread

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 ofsp6070

ofsp6070
  • 13 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 03:49 PM

Hi!

So... after the failure of the Rock Band 4 PC campaign and been frustrated by the low performance of Phase Shift after the death of my graphics card, i just decided to create my own Rock Band Clone.
After 5 months of no sleep... this is what i came up with: 

The game is in its very early stages right now but this is what i have as... features?
- Multi-track audio.
- Midi system works with all Rock Band focused songs (MIDI notes like BRE, Solo, Toms/Cymbals markers are all     loaded... i just need to implement them in gameplay.)
- Song Selection menu with preview audio and info.
- 3D Models and textures (except for the board background... which i only placed from a Phase Shift Texture Pack) made by me.
- User-configurable board speed.
- Basic Guitar / Bass Gameplay System.

In this thread i'll keep posting updates about the project development (Click any of the blue links to go to that post).

UPDATES LIST:

#2 IMMCTNTJK

IMMCTNTJK
  • 153 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 04:40 PM

This looks great! I will definitely download this (if it has a free version) when it's ready. Hey look, you got a another sub. :excited:

Link To Green Day Customs Project!

#3 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,701 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 04:56 PM

Like I said on Reddit, good luck. Now that I'm not on mobile, I can link you:

http://customscreato...ll-my-programs/

#4 MrPrezident

MrPrezident

C3U Moderator

• 419 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 05:32 PM

Wow that really looks amazing, I can't wait to see your progress on this.

Proudly Canadian - The Canada 150 Project Pack #4  -  arriving on Canada 150 Day, July 1st, 2017      -= My Profile =-    -= My Customs =-    -= Discussion =-  

#5 ghostbyob

ghostbyob
  • 325 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 05:51 PM

Don't give up! This looks really solid!

Posted Image

#6 WarSquirtle

WarSquirtle
  • 12 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 05:59 PM

nice start. What's up with Phase Shift? I haven't tried it. Is it open source? Might it be easier to optimize phase shift rather than build from scratch?

#7 ofsp6070

ofsp6070
  • 13 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 06:27 PM

nice start. What's up with Phase Shift? I haven't tried it. Is it open source? Might it be easier to optimize phase shift rather than build from scratch?

Phase shift is closed source. My problem with that game is the FPS i get, My PC never goes up from 40 FPS even at low settings

Wow that really looks amazing, I can't wait to see your progress on this.

Thanks!

This looks great! I will definitely download this (if it has a free version) when it's ready. Hey look, you got a another sub. :excited:

My plan is to release it free!

#8 raynebc

raynebc
  • 223 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 06:30 PM

Phase Shift is closed source and it's development progress has gotten stale (no new releases in over 2 years).

#9 Farottone

Farottone

The Lean Mean Customs Charting Machine

• Administrator
  • 5,920 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 06:45 PM

How are you handling vocals?

#10 ofsp6070

ofsp6070
  • 13 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 06:47 PM

I'm not experimenting with vocals yet as that is the most difficult instrument to make. I'll try to implement them after I finish with the core instruments (5 - lane keyboard included).

#11 Bansheeflyer

Bansheeflyer

• 1,026 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 07:23 PM

This is really cool. I'm actually very interested in seeing how you put it together code-wise.

I assume you have plans for eventual pro-instrumentation?

Steam: Bansheeflyer PSN: Bansheeflya Xbox LIVE: Banshee Flyer
My Customs
My Works in Progress

#12 IMMCTNTJK

IMMCTNTJK
  • 153 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 08:01 PM

Phase shift is closed source. My problem with that game is the FPS i get, My PC never goes up from 40 FPS even at low settings

Thanks!

My plan is to release it free!

Sweet good luck!

I'm not experimenting with vocals yet as that is the most difficult instrument to make. I'll try to implement them after I finish with the core instruments (5 - lane keyboard included).

I didn't think about vocals, hope it turns out alright :)

Link To Green Day Customs Project!

#13 ofsp6070

ofsp6070
  • 13 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 08:30 PM

This is really cool. I'm actually very interested in seeing how you put it together code-wise.

I assume you have plans for eventual pro-instrumentation?

It is actually fairly simple once you get past the "try to read midi and get frustrated" part. I store all the notes (easy, medium, hard and expert) of an instrument in an array list, then depending on the difficulty the user selected (which in the video is hard coded at Expert) i filter all the notes that are not that specific to that difficulty except things like markers and send the other notes to another array which makes a difficulty change mid-song possible. After all releated to midi is setup, i "pre-spawn" the notes, and then I start a coroutine (a task that repeats until i stop it) that checks for the time and if a note has the same time as the current playback, i enable the note and set it up depending on the situation (it is a hopo? are forced hopos on/off enabled? is the length longer that a 1/16 note?, etc.). For the board sync i use a clock that counts Unity's delta time and try to keep it in sync with the audio source.

#14 SynthStreaks

SynthStreaks
  • 81 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 10:42 PM

Woah.

This is something I have never expected to show up on C3 at all.

Can you implement online multiplayer jk

#15 ofsp6070

ofsp6070
  • 13 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 11:13 PM

I uploaded a new video comparing the chart of TTFAF from Rock Band 3, i added hopos and markers like OD Phrases and forced HOPOs.

#16 Bansheeflyer

Bansheeflyer

• 1,026 posts

Posted April 29, 2017 - 12:33 AM

It is actually fairly simple once you get past the "try to read midi and get frustrated" part. I store all the notes (easy, medium, hard and expert) of an instrument in an array list, then depending on the difficulty the user selected (which in the video is hard coded at Expert) i filter all the notes that are not that specific to that difficulty except things like markers and send the other notes to another array which makes a difficulty change mid-song possible. After all releated to midi is setup, i "pre-spawn" the notes, and then I start a coroutine (a task that repeats until i stop it) that checks for the time and if a note has the same time as the current playback, i enable the note and set it up depending on the situation (it is a hopo? are forced hopos on/off enabled? is the length longer that a 1/16 note?, etc.). For the board sync i use a clock that counts Unity's delta time and try to keep it in sync with the audio source.

I guess then theoretically that's how you can display the UI of vocals then, correct? The difficult part would actually be how the program calculates pitches.

Please forgive I'm still a newbie learning programming so this is all fascinating to me.

Steam: Bansheeflyer PSN: Bansheeflya Xbox LIVE: Banshee Flyer
My Customs
My Works in Progress

#17 MissingElements

MissingElements
  • 471 posts

Posted April 29, 2017 - 12:56 AM

I'm really digging this! This is super cool! Is there any chance, at all, please don't waste your time on it if you are not interested in it, but would you do a Rock Band Blitz rhythm game??? I want to play custom songs on that game so bad that I even tried making my own game, but I'm way to inexperienced at that kind of stuff, I had literally no idea what I was doing.

I am beginning to work on more customs, with help from fellow users! But I can't make every song I want, hence the reason why I still make song request posts.

Xbox Gamertag: MissingElements

Check out my music!

Missing Elements: Bandcamp, Soundcloud, YouTube

Nightwalker: Bandcamp, Soundcloud, YouTube

Sericuck (not 100% music): Soundcloud, YouTube

- (MDCJ Bandcamp)

#18 Farottone

Farottone

The Lean Mean Customs Charting Machine

• Administrator
  • 5,920 posts

Posted April 29, 2017 - 01:41 AM

I guess then theoretically that's how you can display the UI of vocals then, correct? The difficult part would actually be how the program calculates pitches.

Actually, the way Rock Band manages vocals technically is beyond impressive. There's so much in there that I don't think any independent programmer could really ever replicate anything like that not only in terms of pitching recognition but also vibrato, timing, etc.

#19 ofsp6070

ofsp6070
  • 13 posts

Posted April 29, 2017 - 01:55 AM

Please forgive I'm still a newbie learning programming so this is all fascinating to me.

No problem, yeah, i can display the vocal notes along with the lyrics the same way as the instruments... as those are midi notes too, the only thing that would be missing is the vocal recognition 

#20 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 4,701 posts

Posted April 29, 2017 - 02:04 AM

That's the one thing that Phase Shift never did. They wanted to figure it out on their own, never did, and since they kept it closed source, it never went anywhere. But displaying lyrics and vocal charts is relatively easy. I do it in cPlayer, and there was someone else who started a program for that here before he disappeared. Recognizing and evaluating the input - that's the challenge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users