RBPH fork with new keyboard bits

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 FujiSkunk

FujiSkunk
  • 670 posts

Posted March 6, 2017 - 02:23 AM

A while ago I helped fellow forumite H3ADShOt3 work on some keyboard parts for the RBHP.  Life got in the way for him, so I took over the files with the intention of giving them the last bit of polish they needed, then giving them to espher.  Life then got in the way for me as well, and these upgrades have been sitting on my hard drive ever since.  I figured by this point other people would have filled in the gaps, but I recently discovered those gaps are still there.

So...

I've created a fork of the Project on GitHub, and I've begun adding keyboard upgrades.  You can find my fork here.  To start with, I've added upgrades for Radiohead's "Creep", the "original" version of "Tom Sawyer" (not the cover), and "Free Fallin'".  I'm fairly confident the files are good to go.  I've made sure to include the other upgrade bits where appropriate, so that anyone who adds keys won't lose anything else, like harmonies or chart fixes.  I'm also fairly confident the new charts themselves are good to go.  Expert pro keys got the most attention, but I think H3ADShOt3 and I had finished all other difficulties and five-lane charts as well, save for a few last-minute fixes I discovered today.  I might have overlooked something else, so definitely let me know if you see something broken.

Other upgrades are on the way, so stay tuned!  Of course when espher finds time to work on the Project again, I'll ask if he wants to pull these into the main batch.

#2 CTRLCMD

CTRLCMD
  • 6 posts

Posted March 6, 2017 - 04:47 AM

This is great! Thank you for this! I always wished to play Tom Sawyer on Keys. I understand this process is still in its infancy, but what are the chances of getting to the RBN songs with keys (such as The Serpentine Offering by Dimmu Borgir for example)?

#3 FujiSkunk

FujiSkunk
  • 670 posts

Posted March 6, 2017 - 10:30 PM

We shall see.  Hopefully I'm not the only one still willing to work on keyboard parts, and espher may have some other contributions waiting to be added.  Until we hear some new news about the official Project, I'll keep adding to my fork, first the upgrades I worked on with H3ADShOt3 and then starting with songs I want to see the most.  If anyone else has contributions waiting to be added, I'm willing to QA them and then add them to my fork also.

#4 ElectricSkylab

ElectricSkylab
  • 63 posts

Posted March 6, 2017 - 10:59 PM

Oh hey, the Tom Sawyer keys upgrade is back, thanks for reviving it!

#5 JCLexicon

JCLexicon
  • 23 posts

Posted March 8, 2017 - 12:48 AM

This'll be really fun. A lot more legacy stuff could use Keys!

#6 FujiSkunk

FujiSkunk
  • 670 posts

Posted March 9, 2017 - 04:39 AM

Keys upgrade for "YYZ" now available.  There aren't a whole lot of keys to play, but now you can play them!

#7 Sideshow

Sideshow
  • 2,376 posts

Posted March 9, 2017 - 08:02 AM

Here is hoping Espher comes back for another big update to the RBHP to include these keys upgrades along with my pro drum fixes.

#8 FujiSkunk

FujiSkunk
  • 670 posts

Posted March 12, 2017 - 10:44 PM

Upgrade added for "Go with the Flow".  It's not a very exciting chart, but it's good for some wrist calisthenics, and it's one more for the keys completists.

#9 Fat Ha1p3rt

Fat Ha1p3rt
  • 314 posts

Posted March 12, 2017 - 11:08 PM

Upgrade added for "Go with the Flow".  It's not a very exciting chart, but it's good for some wrist calisthenics, and it's one more for the keys completists.

I love that song, thanks for the upgrade dude. I get to cross another one off the list.

#10 Linos Melendi

Linos Melendi
  • 110 posts

Posted March 14, 2017 - 03:56 AM

Hopefully I'm not the only one still willing to work on keyboard parts

I'm still working on some keyboard upgrades, had 4 merged and I just finished doing keys for "David Bowie - Let's Dance" which I added to my fork. Currently focusing on getting some customs done but after that I'll shift my attention to doing more upgrades.

My customs thread

My customs spreadsheet (120+ songs)

The 0.1% of Pro Keys players

#11 TheWay123

TheWay123
  • 89 posts

Posted March 14, 2017 - 08:18 PM

I can totally do some keyboard upgrades, but no hard ones lol

I'm still kind of a beginner when it comes to Pro Keys charting, so if you have some easy ones for me to work on, just send me a list or something :P

rsz_sig.jpg

#12 FujiSkunk

FujiSkunk
  • 670 posts

Posted March 16, 2017 - 04:29 AM

I'm still working on some keyboard upgrades, had 4 merged and I just finished doing keys for "David Bowie - Let's Dance" which I added to my fork. Currently focusing on getting some customs done but after that I'll shift my attention to doing more upgrades.

Cool, thank you!  I for one am very happy to see "Let's Dance" in the keys list!

I'm still kind of a beginner when it comes to Pro Keys charting, so if you have some easy ones for me to work on, just send me a list or something :P

Well, I'm not formally coordinating any efforts, but if you'd like to take a crack at it, I'd be happy to answer questions and provide some pointers.  I could then add your files to my RBHP fork, unless you'd like to maintain your own.  Any which way, have a look at Fat Ha1p3rt's Google Sheet above to get an idea of what songs still need keys.  Anything you think is easy enough, go for it!  Except maybe some No Doubt songs.  I have a batch of those from StackOverflow0x that I need to assimilate.

And...

I just added a keys upgrade for "I Want You Back".  With "Let's Dance" from Linos, that's six songs from LEGO Rock Band now with keys!

#13 Fat Ha1p3rt

Fat Ha1p3rt
  • 314 posts

Posted March 16, 2017 - 05:03 AM

I just added a keys upgrade for "I Want You Back".  With "Let's Dance" from Linos, that's six songs from LEGO Rock Band now with keys!

You're on a roll man. I can't thank you enough for these.

#14 StackOverflow0x

StackOverflow0x

Wii Guy

• 1,262 posts

Posted March 16, 2017 - 05:23 AM

There's a handful of easy ones I wanted to do, but didn't get started on. I could do them now, but I can also prep them and send them your way to try if you'd like.

#15 TheWay123

TheWay123
  • 89 posts

Posted March 16, 2017 - 12:56 PM

There's a handful of easy ones I wanted to do, but didn't get started on. I could do them now, but I can also prep them and send them your way to try if you'd like.

That would be nice. Thanks!

rsz_sig.jpg

#16 FujiSkunk

FujiSkunk
  • 670 posts

Posted March 19, 2017 - 06:02 AM

I've added a keys upgrade for "The Camera Eye" to my branch.  I had to cheat this one slightly, so sharp-eyed players will notice a smidgen of overcharting.  Several existing unison bonuses were in the middle of long sustained keyboard notes, which meant the keys couldn't really participate without something changing.  The options were to either move the other instruments' overdrive sections, or break up certain long sustained keys notes into shorter ones.  I figure mucking with the existing charts is frowned upon for the RBHP, so I went with the second option.  The resulting chart shouldn't offend anyone too much, and it does mean keys players will have to be a little more on their toes when playing those sections.  Consider it an added challenge!

#17 FujiSkunk

FujiSkunk
  • 670 posts

Posted March 23, 2017 - 05:31 AM

Keys upgrade for "Vital Signs" now available.

If "The Camera Eye" was a bit overcharted, this one's a bit undercharted.  Most of the keys heard in the song are played by an arpegiator, and most humans who aren't named Rick Wakeman can't do what an arpegiator can.  Sometimes trying to keep up with a machine can be kinda fun, but most of the time it's just an uncomfortable chore.  Originally H3ADShOt3 and I worked on a chart that had all the arpegiator notes intact, but I've since thinned them out into something actually playable and fun.  Don't worry, the chart is still a pretty hefty challenge in those parts, requiring you not to lose your concentration and keep your fingers on the rhythm!

There's also another spot here where I split one or two long keyboard notes into shorter notes, so that the keys could join in with the rest of the band on a unison bonus.  Keep an eye out for it!

#18 Fat Ha1p3rt

Fat Ha1p3rt
  • 314 posts

Posted March 23, 2017 - 05:40 AM

I'll add these to the spreadsheet. 

#19 FujiSkunk

FujiSkunk
  • 670 posts

Posted March 24, 2017 - 05:38 AM

Keys upgrade added for "Red Barchetta".  Just a couple more to go before I get back to songs not by Rush!

Here's yet another long note broken in two for the sake of a unison bonus, but it's only one this time.  Also, medium and easy pro keys medium share the same chart, as do medium and easy 5-lane keys, and hard and expert 5-lane keys.  I don't believe in knocking down difficulty artificially, and if the higher chart still follows all the rules for a lower difficulty, so be it.  Harmonix did it with the keys parts for "Helen Wheels", so I figure I can do it here.

#20 FujiSkunk

FujiSkunk
  • 670 posts

Posted March 25, 2017 - 02:56 PM

Keys upgrade added for "Witch Hunt (Part III of Fear)".  With this the entire Moving Pictures album has keys upgrades.  Only "Limelight" has nothing to play, and that's only because someone (Harmonix or the band or the record label, I don't know) didn't include the keys in the song's stem collection.

If you're not interested in keys and are somehow still reading this anyway, I also added an entry for "Witch Hunt" in the Song Info Fixes folder, with vocal tonic bits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users