RBPH fork with new keyboard bits, and more!

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#81 Shroud

Shroud
  • 477 posts

Posted October 29, 2019 - 05:09 PM

It was indeed a sequencer (of sorts).

Obviously an RB3 keys chart would have to take that into consideration.

Thanks for the link... I was thinking years ago that it could be played by a human with relative ease if a proper delay effect was used to duplicate the notes. Then your link made me want to search YouTube a bit and I found this:

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=yIG2FgH_ZTo

Never mind the guy singing, but otherwise he's doing a good job with all the instruments, and he's really nailed the keyboard sound to make playing fairly easy :)

#82 FujiSkunk

FujiSkunk
  • 1,018 posts

Posted January 24, 2020 - 04:14 AM

ok so after like 7 hours of compiling, loading, freezing and repeating, i can confidently say it has something to do with some of the recent keys upgrades, specifically either kung fu fighting, walking on sunshine, you oughta know, check yes juliet, or maybe free fallin(since that chart was changed). I did a bundle with only those four songs and And Justice for All froze, so i removed those four songs and did a bundle of literally just the upgrade for AJFA and it worked, so i went into my upgrade folder, removed just those 5 upgrades and suddenly all my upgrades of every type worked no problem.

also to be clear I'm only mentioning AJFA because it's the quickest song to select that has an upgrade alphabetically, every time AJFA worked I immediately checked other upgrades and they all worked no problem. if i have time I can run a bundle with each new keys upgrade separately from each other to narrow down what was causing the freezing in the first place.

Quoting this again to let everyone know I haven't forgotten about this problem, and I'm investigating it now.  I've reproduced the lock-up on my XBox 360, so there's definitely a problem here, and it's not just "you".  I'll post again as soon as I find a fix.  I'm sure it's something stupid I forgot to put in one of the upgrade files, but now the task is actually finding that missing needle in the haystack.

#83 FujiSkunk

FujiSkunk
  • 1,018 posts

Posted February 2, 2020 - 06:13 AM

I've narrowed the problem down to two upgrades: "Bad Romance" and "Walking on Sunshine".  When I upgrade only "Bad Romance", there is no problem.  When I upgrade both "Bad Romance" and "Walking on Sunshine", WoS behaves properly but then BR crashes during the intro scenes.  I went through other combinations of upgrades as well, but this smallest set I found where I could consistently create crash and not-crash scenarios, so I'll continue my investigation with these.  Based on what dr waffles found, I suspect "Walking on Sunshine" will be the culprit (or at least a culprit), but how it can wreck other songs without wrecking itself is a mystery.  The MIDIs and the DTAs look fine for both, so it isn't anything immediately obvious.  WoS does have a pro-strings upgrade, which might be a factor; I'm not good at eyeballing those for potential problems.  I'll probably start my next experiment by removing WoS's pro-strings tracks, to see how both songs then behave.  I'll keep y'all posted.

#84 FujiSkunk

FujiSkunk
  • 1,018 posts

Posted February 10, 2020 - 02:41 AM

The bug has been found and squashed!  I've committed a fix to the Github repo, and now all of the latest keys upgrades as well as all older upgrades should work as expected.  Big thanks to both dr waffles and MFX for their help in tracking this down.

For those curious about the details, the upgrades.dta file for the keys upgrade to "Walking on Sunshine" had an extra closing parenthesis, which was causing the game to "forget" about any upgrades that happened to come after that one in the cache file.  That's why "Walking on Sunshine" would still work, but then other upgraded songs would crash.  It was a simple typo that I might have caught had I tested these upgrades through both bundling tools, but I skimped and got bitten.  Mea culpa.  It won't happen again!  (Hopefully.)

If anyone continues to have trouble even with this latest fix, please let me know!  Hopefully that won't happen and everybody can once again enjoy more keys!

#85 genaro227

genaro227
  • 83 posts

Posted March 31, 2020 - 01:42 AM

Any chance She's Not There by the Zombies will get some Keys, they really shine in the song

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users