Over a decade of custom songs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Froogzer

Froogzer
  • 294 posts

Posted March 3, 2017 - 10:56 PM

It all started back in late 2006, when a game called Frets on Fire (FoF) was created. It is/was a terrible guitar hero clone, but it had something that changed rhythm gaming for the better: custom songs. People could make charts with the in game editor, those charts are basically unplayable, but they were the best, and only charts around at the time.

Somewhere between then and now, someone found a way to get songs on guitar hero. This was a big deal, as charts began to improve significantly over time because of the much wider audience

Phase Shift happened, which completely blew FoF out of the water, charts, again, inproving overtime

RBN came along after, and we all know how that impacted RB3 ;)

Now fast forward to 2017, The new charts on FoF-FF are pretty good, C3 has been around for a few years, and GH3PC is being hacked for better gameplay. I know a lot of people on this site are anti-single-instrument-customs and some of you think rhythm games other than Rock Band are shit, but even still, I think we can all agree that the fact that customs were a thing for such a long time is just really froogin' cool.

Charter and procrastinator extraordinaire, at your disservice. D:

#2 Oddbrother

Oddbrother
  • 484 posts

Posted March 3, 2017 - 11:24 PM

No argument there.

Sent from my Nexus 5 CAF using Tapatalk
Right and right, left and left, spin and turn, and a great big smile.

#3 ElectricSkylab

ElectricSkylab
  • 70 posts

Posted March 4, 2017 - 01:23 AM

Without these terrible charts, C3 wouldn't exist. Thank you, ye olden FoF/GH1-2 custom charters!

#4 nsw1-6

nsw1-6
  • 175 posts

Posted March 4, 2017 - 02:58 AM

Never touched PhaseShift, but it nicely added functionality that the FoFiX developers did not have time to implement (though v4.0 has been in development hell for years now) and was able to emulate some RB3 gameplay.

NSW1-6's Customs Thread (RB3/FoFiX)

NSW1-6's Work In Progress Thread

Current Collaboration Projects:

AJFOne23's Zappa Project (WIP)

GONG IS ONE AND ONE IS YOU UND DU BIST MEIN SOFA

#5 bostengaable

bostengaable
  • 222 posts

Posted March 4, 2017 - 05:00 AM

Frets on fire forever!
I dont had so much money 10 years ago to play with plastic guitar, was expensive, today not, i was used a  pc ps2 serial keybord, hahaha.

and the hacked/pirated guitar hero games series i played a lot: animehero, guitar hero brazuca.

thanks frets on fire community and keep growing.

thanks to c3 and phase shift too.

#6 beard216

beard216
  • 1,796 posts

Posted March 4, 2017 - 10:52 AM

Well spoken Froogs.

Professional defeater of Hobbzee's RB scores since 1989. :D :P

My C3 Universe Profile!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users