The 1/2-Starring Wall of Fame

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#21 StackOverflow0x

StackOverflow0x

Wii Guy

• 1,217 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 01:31 AM

I don't get too many votes on my customs, but I remember unfairly receiving a very low rating on my full band custom of "Panic Station". I just checked and it seems to have balanced out, but still, it happened.

#22 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,258 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 01:51 AM

I always compensate rate my 1 star songs because it's not fair or nice unless you have a justifiable grievance with the quality

#23 Spindoctor

Spindoctor
  • 854 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 03:14 AM

I don't often weigh in on these discussions.

This is the best forum I have ever been apart of in my many years on the net. The people who run it are the most fair, easy going moderators I have ever seen. I have witnessed all of the discussions over the last 3 years & they handle each case with the same easy going but straight forward rules. The odd time the user will get a blunt reply or temporary ban. 

After dealing with the same stupid requests or posts like "help me cause I am to lazy to do my own research" etc there is not one of us that could do their non paying job that wouldn't do the same as well.

Through all that this site remains as strong as ever.

The custom rating system is somewhat flawed but I am sure Farottone & crew will solve it one way or another.

The funny thing is about 95% of the songs I have done that people rated got a 5 star rating & most have UNpitched vocals, go figure!!

The ones that are lower rated deserve it cause I did things a little different, "Harmonica on guitar" or they were just plain shitty work by me.

It definitely wasn't designed so people could play their childish games or for people who don't like the artist or song to rate the song low. 

I think it was designed to let authors know what people thought of their actual charts.

It kind of ties in to the feedback people give on an authors thread, I have read many times, authors don't like feedback. That's hogwash, they do, but saying things like the artist is a perv, should be in jail, the song sucks, the artist sucks, why did you chart song A when song B is clearly better? etc is not feedback, that's an opinion.

Feed back for me is things like, its out of sync, overcharted, undercharted, the notes are off grid, the audio is terrible, spelling & lyric mistakes etc that get by the author/testers.

I am wondering if something like the Ebay buyer feedback system could be added to the rating system, if you click to rate the song you must leave a short feedback as to why you rate it lower than a 3. It could be a set list of choices in a drop down menu.

This would separate the people who use it the way it was intended from those who can rate a song low anonymously & out of spite.

I like the idea of the hall of fame with filters applied as Farottone mentioned, as it will out the constant abusers of the system. I am pretty sure those who do the odd low rating won't be shamed.

"Music can change the world because it can change people"  Bono

Links to all songs are in the Customs database.

#24 funkydunkleman

funkydunkleman
  • 640 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 04:19 AM

Not to try and turn this into a suggestion thread, but maybe a tagging system would be helpful.

After rating a song low, you could tag what you found troubling about it.

Expert GBD not charted well

Vocals pitched incorrectly

Lower difficulties not charted accurately

Audio/Tempo sync issues

Incorrect Metadata

Missing OD sections

Poor Audio Quality

I dunno considering the custom page templates are pretty incomplete and haven't been updated in ages I'm guessing more additions are out of the picture. Just spitballing here.

My Customs
AC/DC - Featuring over 60 full band
* tracks spanning 17 albums *unpitched vocals
Others - Featuring tracks from Oasis, The White Stripes, Lady Gaga, Eminem, Taylor Swift, and Michael Jackson.

#25 The_Guitar_Hero_King

The_Guitar_Hero_King
  • 868 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 05:34 AM

I'm guessing i did something, to whatever i did i'm sorry :P

Do you like lot's of Muse, my thread has it Here
Other bands on my thread are Arctic Monkeys, Katy Perry and Metallica & Ozzy Osbourne.

#26 Fat Ha1p3rt

Fat Ha1p3rt
  • 306 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 05:58 AM

Not to try and turn this into a suggestion thread, but maybe a tagging system would be helpful.

After rating a song low, you could tag what you found troubling about it.

Expert GBD not charted well

Vocals pitched incorrectly

Lower difficulties not charted accurately

Audio/Tempo sync issues

Incorrect Metadata

Missing OD sections

Poor Audio Quality

I think this is a great idea. Comments on the database entry are one way to find out if a song has issues, but something like this would be helpful in identifying specifically why someone might rate a song 1/2 stars. I currently keep a spreadsheet of every custom where I have a tagging system  and a notes section just like this. I think the rating system is flawed because if a song has several mistakes and receives a 1 star rating (which would be completely valid if the song is a mess), that rating will remain even if the author fixes the issues that caused the song to receive such a score in the first place. 

#27 beard216

beard216
  • 1,662 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 08:21 AM

Lol some of mine will be on the list due to users either hating that it's only guitar or it's missing like two notes

#28 markmc

markmc
  • 47 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 11:13 AM

I am almost 100% certain people 5 star a song just because they like the song, rating it before even playing it.

Previous suggestions regarding having to at least click a few options before being able to rate a custom is a great idea.

1/ Chart quality for x instrument

2/ Fun to play? (some great songs out there but they dont come off great in game.

Also i am sure there are loads of brilliant songs/customs in the database that we dont check out due to having no rating or a low rating.

The reason i still love rb3 is putting on an unknown band to me and instantly being hooked on that song/band.

If the ratings system is to be changed would certainly breathe more life into the game, can only be good for authors to get proper feedback and for gamers to find the best customs out there.

Of course if updates to the database cannot be done due to it being retired, then im just waffling.

#29 PopGoesRockBand

PopGoesRockBand
  • 801 posts

Posted December 25, 2016 - 12:59 AM

tbh i stopped charting in october, as all my hardwork was getting 1starred :P

not that my work isnt 5 star quality... but it is playable its not a 1-star chart each chart is done to the best of my talents

#30 Damage Inc.

Damage Inc.
  • 73 posts

Posted December 25, 2016 - 01:04 AM

If i am guilty of this i apologize. I used to rate the songs on my game low if wasnt fun to play, then someone will come over hit the blue button and it'd screw up "my" rating system, or i'd download a song and find that a 5 star song was easy or a 1 star song was too hard. so I have stopped rating songs all together. Iam very thankful for the hard work and time that you guys putting in charting a song. I just download and play and always try and leave a, "thank you".  If i'm guilty I am sorry. It was nothing personal. Anyways, thanks again for all your hard work.

#31 Oddbrother

Oddbrother
  • 472 posts

Posted December 25, 2016 - 02:36 AM

It's nice to know that there still is active moderation and judgment not only on the forums, but the customs database entries as well.

Right and right, left and left, spin and turn, and a great big smile.

#32 Ruck Bogers 22

Ruck Bogers 22
  • 258 posts

Posted December 25, 2016 - 07:17 PM

All my Coldplay customs were voted 1-star at the same time, presumably by the same person, with no explanation given, no opportunity given to improve it.

This hasn't stopped me doing customs altogether but it's hard to keep motivated. I've not released anything since it happened because I lose confidence halfway through a custom and start something else.

tl;dr - I think this is a good idea, and a way to give specific feedback (positive or negative) would be too.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I'm charting again! Check out My Customs - featuring Muse, Coldplay, Oasis, Kings of Leon, Blur, Snow Patrol, RATM, Death Cab, New Radicals and more!

Feeder Discography Project - Newest Release - Swim EP

Works in Progress

#33 Farottone

Farottone

The Lean Mean Customs Charting Machine

• Administrator
  • 5,806 posts

Posted December 25, 2016 - 10:09 PM

All my Coldplay customs were voted 1-star at the same time, presumably by the same person, with no explanation given, no opportunity given to improve it.

This hasn't stopped me doing customs altogether but it's hard to keep motivated. I've not released anything since it happened because I lose confidence halfway through a custom and start something else.

tl;dr - I think this is a good idea, and a way to give specific feedback (positive or negative) would be too.

You can't let pueril behavior stop you from donig something so many people love, those are the ones you need to focus on, but I understand perfectly how you feel.

#34 rcale

rcale
  • 226 posts

Posted December 25, 2016 - 10:18 PM

That sucks to hear. I do not like Coldplay in as much as I'm never going to say to myself, 'I think I'm going to put some Coldplay on to listen to' but I love playing them in RB and loads of those are your charts.

I never knew how much something like a click of a 1 star mouse affected the people who dedicate their time and effort to making customs. You are appreciated by the silent majority, I assure you.

#35 Fat Ha1p3rt

Fat Ha1p3rt
  • 306 posts

Posted December 25, 2016 - 10:28 PM

Coldplay is one of my favorite bands and I frequently play the customs you've done. They are excellent quality. Don't let the ratings bring ya down, you're very talented.

#36 Freewaymad

Freewaymad
  • 344 posts

Posted December 26, 2016 - 12:01 AM

I agree with a lot of what is being said here. I am for what Farottone & crew come up with to solve this. To me 1-starring or 2-starring for no reason or just because one doesn't like the song or artist, ect. is just plain bullshit. It's rude and disrespectful. You people who do this shit need to get a life. On the other hand, 5-starring just because one likes the artist or song is not good either. It's very flattering, but it's not constructive either. I agree with Spindoctor  feedback on "things like, its out of sync, overcharted, undercharted, the notes are off grid, the audio is terrible, spelling & lyric mistakes etc that get by the author/testers". That's what it should be. I have never 1-starred anyone. The authors put a lot of time and devotion into each and every song. So to you who get off on 1-starring, screw you and as Suicidal Tendencies have titled one of their songs, "You Can't Bring Me Down". There, I've said my peace.

#37 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,258 posts

Posted December 30, 2016 - 12:53 AM

Did I miss the unveiling of shame?

Shame-Bell-Lady-From-Game-Thrones.gif

#38 Farottone

Farottone

The Lean Mean Customs Charting Machine

• Administrator
  • 5,806 posts

Posted December 30, 2016 - 01:01 AM

I know I'm late, I'll try to do it tomorrow.

#39 TheSheepQueen

TheSheepQueen
  • 384 posts

Posted December 31, 2016 - 10:42 AM

The best part of it is every person who one-starred making their mea-culpa, and the silent ones who don't have a plea

#40 bsbloom

bsbloom
  • 319 posts

Posted December 31, 2016 - 11:38 AM

Slightly off topic, but ...  The last time I released songs, one of them, immediately, got a 1-star review.  Sad, but so be it.  I remember wishing that the reviewer would post the problems, so that I could make fixes.

Two days later, the 1-star review was gone, and the song had a single 5-star review.  Huh?  How does that happen?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)