Just a small charting question.

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 IMMCTNTJK

IMMCTNTJK
  • 133 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 08:35 PM

Hello. This is probably a very dumb question. Ok so, I'm using editor on fire to chart my songs. Ive been trying to get guitar, bass, and vocals to hold a note. How do I do this? Thanks!

Link To Green Day Customs Project!

#2 mb1nightmare

mb1nightmare
  • 221 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 09:29 PM

Forget about Editor On Fire!

This is your starting point:
http://customscreato...or-new-authors/
http://pksage.com/rb...x.php/Main_Page

DNTmRgq.png

#3 IMMCTNTJK

IMMCTNTJK
  • 133 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 09:44 PM

Actually Editor on fire is easier for me XD, do you know how to hold notes and add overdrive is this program?

#4 Archer

Archer
  • 60 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 09:54 PM

Forget about Editor On Fire!

This is your starting point:
http://customscreato...or-new-authors/
http://pksage.com/rb...x.php/Main_Page

EOF is actually a great program, I used it to make CAFO.

Actually Editor on fire is easier for me XD, do you know how to hold notes and add overdrive is this program?

I assume by "holding notes" you mean sustains?
Just roll the mouse wheel, if you're not using a mouse, you can also decrease length by pressing "[" and increase with "]".

And to mark OD, highlight all the notes you want to be OD, then press Ctrl+W, alternatively, you can go to "Notes"->"Star Power"->"Mark".

#5 Funk Meister Freud

Funk Meister Freud
  • 474 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 09:55 PM

Maybe now is a good time for Dick Clark to show up and suck this question up into his space anomaly and relocate it into the proper forum.

nyuk, nyuk !

Just playin' immctnjtc..... and welcome to our little spot in the universe! :D

You may think the stuff I bring is 'cheesy' but ask yourself this......is it american or is it brie?

#6 IMMCTNTJK

IMMCTNTJK
  • 133 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 10:22 PM

EOF is actually a great program, I used it to make CAFO.

I assume by "holding notes" you mean sustains?
Just roll the mouse wheel, if you're not using a mouse, you can also decrease length by pressing "[" and increase with "]".

And to mark OD, highlight all the notes you want to be OD, then press Ctrl+W, alternatively, you can go to "Notes"->"Star Power"->"Mark".

Yes that is what I mean. Thank you very much for your help!

#7 mb1nightmare

mb1nightmare
  • 221 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 10:38 PM

EOF is actually a great program

Well not "great" but still a program!

Actually Editor on fire is easier for me XD

Paint is easier than Photoshop... If you want to create proper RB3 customs, you need to use Reaper and you need to "get your hands dirty"!!!! My "old" customs from 2014/mid 2015 was done with EOF and now I have old customs which needs updates.

DNTmRgq.png

#8 Archer

Archer
  • 60 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 10:49 PM

Well not "great" but still a program!

Alex also used EOF, and his customs prove that EOF is an excellent if you know how to use it. He used Reaper exclusively for CAT, and everything else, including the RB3 required stuff, was done in EOF.

And to be fair, raynbec has made big updates and improvements, just in the short time that I've been charting, so I can't imagine how much has improved in 1.5 to 2 years.

Well anyways, to each his own. :)

#9 mb1nightmare

mb1nightmare
  • 221 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 11:31 PM

If someone does a good job with a software, it doesn't mean the software is good.

Someone who does a good job, can use EOF to start a chart, but if you import a EOF midi to Reaper (or any other DAW) and analyze it, you can clearly see what kind of problems EOF causes (EOF isn't "excellent"). A serious example are unquantized notes with wierd lenghts.

People who don't know how to work around those issues, will create problematic customs (Like me 2 years ago)

I could write a big text with more examples (do I need to talk about its UI?) but this was discussed before.

So I said before and I say it again: If you want to create proper RB3 customs, you need to use Reaper and you need to "get your hands dirty"!!!!

DNTmRgq.png

#10 Farottone

Farottone

The Lean Mean Customs Charting Machine

• Administrator
  • 5,797 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 12:05 AM

EOF is designed to create charts, so by design is easier to use if you author by ear. EOF does not produce Rock Band-grade files for a number of reasons though. So, EOF is fine to chart songs: if anyone feels it does wonders for them, there is no reason to drop it. However, you still need to use Reaper to create proper charts for the game, there is no going around that.

#11 Froogzer

Froogzer
  • 279 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 12:45 AM

How good someone is at charting is what determines the quality of charts, EoF and Reaper can both produce the same quality material, but not every charter can. The only reason EoF has such a bad reputation on this website is that it's associated with the poor quality of OLD (OLD!!) charts from before RB3 even existed. Like it or not, that's the truth.

Charter and procrastinator extraordinaire, at your disservice. D:

#12 Farottone

Farottone

• Administrator
  • 5,797 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 12:53 AM

How good someone is at charting is what determines the quality of charts, EoF and Reaper can both produce the same quality material

They can't. EOF has problems with quantizing, minimum notes length and non x/4 time signatures, just to point out a few issues. That is the only reason EOF is supported here but with caveats. You keep pushing this fantasy narrative that we don't like EOF because of bad charts when we actually DO support EOF and when we point out its flaws they have nothing to do with authoring and everything to do with Rock Band standards compliance.

#13 IMMCTNTJK

IMMCTNTJK
  • 133 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 01:06 AM

Welp I don't know what to do... I guess ill keep working with EOF. Does anyone have any tutorial type thing for making a custom song with EOF including RB3 requirements?

#14 Alternity

Alternity
  • 460 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 01:13 AM

non x/4 time signatures has been fixed; I think. I made a request a long time ago on the RS forums for that and raynebc came up with a fix; which actually looks better than before in REAPER. Before it was doubling BPM and whatnot to adjust... now it seems ok.

Welp I don't know what to do... I guess ill keep working with EOF. Does anyone have any tutorial type thing for making a custom song with EOF including RB3 requirements?

I don't think you can do anything else than selecting to save rock band files. There may be an option to generate non-sustain notes as 1/32 notes or something instead of 1ms notes.

#15 Froogzer

Froogzer
  • 279 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 01:17 AM

They can.

A) Not every song is in non /4 time signatures. Most songs are. But both programs can handle at least /4. Right?

Wait. /4 was fixed apparently. Never mind.

B) The note length problems can be solved by increasing the length, or if you want to prevent such things, go into settings/options, I don't remember which, and set the minimum note length to whatever number.
C)Quantizing is fixing off grid notes, correct? Note > resnap while a group of notes is selected does just that.

EoF CAN make RB3 ready charts, I still believe overall quality is on the charter, not the program.

Charter and procrastinator extraordinaire, at your disservice. D:

#16 IMMCTNTJK

IMMCTNTJK
  • 133 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 01:25 AM

They can.

A) Not every song is in non /4 time signatures. Most songs are. But both programs can handle at least /4. Right?

Wait. /4 was fixed apparently. Never mind.

B) The note length problems can be solved by increasing the length, or if you want to prevent such things, go into settings/options, I don't remember which, and set the minimum note length to whatever number.
C)Quantizing is fixing off grid notes, correct? Note > resnap while a group of notes is selected does just that.

EoF CAN make RB3 ready charts, I still believe overall quality is on the charter, not the program.

Agreed. I hope to see everyone after I am done with my first custom song!

#17 Farottone

Farottone

• Administrator
  • 5,797 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 01:26 AM

I don't even know what this is supposed to mean. EOF cannot handle non x/4 time signatures, Reaper can. That's it. "EoF and Reaper can both produce the same quality material" is simply not true just because of that.

And for one last time: quality has nothing to do with this technical discussion. If the same person authors the same song in the same way in the 2 programs, the EOF output is not Rock Band-compliant as much as Reaper's output is. It is not a matter of opinions or point of views, it's a simple technical matter. You yourself have even experienced first hand how EOF is not perfectly compliant, how can you now not even acknowledge that?

EOF is perfectly fine for authoring (except for non x/4 time signatures, in which case it's a huge hassle to have to re-tempo map the song to avoid spikes and other issues), you just need to import the output in Reaper and fix it to get it up to *technical* standards.

#18 Farottone

Farottone

• Administrator
  • 5,797 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 01:28 AM

non x/4 time signatures has been fixed; I think. I made a request a long time ago on the RS forums for that and raynebc came up with a fix; which actually looks better than before in REAPER. Before it was doubling BPM and whatnot to adjust... now it seems ok.

After I was told it was fixed I checked a chart done with the latest version and the issue was still there. Maybe raynebc can shed some light on it.

#19 mb1nightmare

mb1nightmare
  • 221 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 01:32 AM

How good someone is at charting is what determines the quality of charts

You're a good charter but unquitized notes (caused by eof) compromises the quality of your customs.

EoF and Reaper can both produce the same quality material

Oh, you didn't said that...

The only reason EoF has such a bad reputation on this website is that it's associated with the poor quality of OLD (OLD!!) charts from before RB3 even existed.

The only reason EoF has such a bad reputation on this website is that EoF is a "not good" (I don't want to say "bad) software!!

Like it or not, that's the truth.

Wait, what?!?!?

DNTmRgq.png

#20 Archer

Archer
  • 60 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 01:44 AM

I don't want to start an argument, I am just genuinely curious.

Why do people on this forum refuse to accept that EOF has improved and is fully capable of making RB3 charts on it's own.

Every single issue you guys have mentioned is fully implemented and working in EOF.

I do understand EOF is mostly used to make FoF and PS customs, but that's the reason why these features go unused half the time, it's the charters, not the program.

Look at my CAFO custom, it was 99% done with EOF, the only thing that was used in Reaper was CAT, that's it. If I wouldn't have used CAT, then I wouldn't have even touched Reaper.

The quantized notes (may not be perfect because I slightly edited the map before compiling), the proper note lengths, the proper time signatures, which include various x/8 and even an x/16, was all done in EOF.

Same with everything Alex had done, only used Reaper for CAT, if he uploaded everything X only, then he wouldn't have even touched Reaper.

I will not deny that some stuff in probably easier in Reaper, but you can't say that EOF can't do this stuff when it in fact can.

So someone, please tell me, why do you guys simply refuse to accept that EOF is a fully viable program, all the issues you guys think are EOF's problem are not EOF, but rather the charters themselves not using the features.

So if you guys still refuse to accept what EOF is capable of, then obviously my charts wouldn't be welcome here, so this will be the last post I will post here, and I'll remove CAFO from the database later after work. The same could be said for Alex's charts, which I may remove as well, if I feel like it.

And don't get me wrong, I love most of the people here, and most of you are very friendly (Farottone being a good example), but I just don't feel welcome here anymore.

So with that, bye guys, if anyone wants to contact me about anything, you can at FoF (AbelArcher).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users