Family Friendly - Mature Audience Ratings, How to Determine Them?

Family Friendly Supervision Recommended Mature Audiences No Rating Rock Band Customs

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 BassSinger313

BassSinger313
  • 59 posts

Posted November 29, 2016 - 06:50 PM

I actually thought about this a bit, and I don't think I saw it discussed, but what about in the event of instrumentals? Obviously, all of the rating comes from lyrics, so a song without any singing or spoken word or anything, automatically FF. However, there's a few songs where I think that it's a bit iffy, and wanted to get some insight on. These are songs that I picked and we charted, and there's more examples, but these are the ones that came to mind first.

Carnivore - Five Billion Dead

Testament - Urotsukidoji

Tomoyasu Hotei - Kill the Target

I could be overthinking this, but I wasn't 100% sure and figured it'd make sense to ask. For the first and last of those, they both have references to people dying, or killing someone, do the titles alone bump up the rating to SR? And for the middle one, it samples some *questionable* source material, and I wouldn't want any kids looking it up, and finding something fucked up, you know? Or for every case, does them being instrumentals supersede that and make them FF still?

To my knowledge, unless the title of the song is too risque for a Family Friendly rating, all tracks with no vocals would be Family Friendly. Even if the song sounds tough or evil.

Xbox Live: Ba55Singer313

Nintendo Network: BassSinger313

Playstation Network: Ba55Reviews

Steam: basssinger313

Nintendo 3DS FC: 0130-2350-4615 (Subject to change due to getting a replacement.)

List of Tracks Packs In Progress

#22 Bansheeflyer

Bansheeflyer

• 1,347 posts

Posted November 29, 2016 - 09:22 PM

I'm pretty sure the rating system was designed specifically for the song itself.

As a moderator I enforce the law...in moderation.

My Customs
My Works in Progress

#23 Gigakoops

Gigakoops

Resident Movie Nerd

• 1,092 posts

Posted November 30, 2016 - 07:27 AM

I'm actually of the opinion that the album art can affect a rating, even bringing it up as much as an M rating (one song that I helped released, "Do What Your Daddy Says" by Voltera, is an example due to nudity and gore). I do feel that it would be rather out of place to set a family friendly filter, perhaps wanting to keep things G-PG rated with the kids, and then seeing a naked torso with it's limbs cut off. Though that's just my opinion, I tend to think a lot about the small details no one technically has to think hard and long about :P

#24 Peachfanclub

Peachfanclub
  • 43 posts

Posted December 17, 2016 - 03:37 AM

To my knowledge, unless the title of the song is too risque for a Family Friendly rating, all tracks with no vocals would be Family Friendly. Even if the song sounds tough or evil.

That's what I thought for some time too, but Caprici di Diablo received a SR sticker, and the only things I could think of as to why were the title of the song (which apparently translates to Devil's Caprice or Devil's Whim) and maybe how ominous the song is made to sound.

While we're on the subject of instrumentals, the title of an instrumental I've charted is Siege Engine, which references a weapon used in warfare. Again, given how there's that much less material to work with, I wasn't too sure how to approach this. My initial gut was to put a SR sticker on it. What do you think?

#25 Gigakoops

Gigakoops

Resident Movie Nerd

• 1,092 posts

Posted December 17, 2016 - 04:42 AM

That's what I thought for some time too, but Caprici di Diablo received a SR sticker, and the only things I could think of as to why were the title of the song (which apparently translates to Devil's Caprice or Devil's Whim) and maybe how ominous the song is made to sound.

While we're on the subject of instrumentals, the title of an instrumental I've charted is Siege Engine, which references a weapon used in warfare. Again, given how there's that much less material to work with, I wasn't too sure how to approach this. My initial gut was to put a SR sticker on it. What do you think?

With Caprici di Diablo, I always thought it was "Dance with the Devil," which I personally don't think is enough for an SR rating, but I guess HMX thought it was a bit much. As for Siege Engine, references to weapons (though mostly medieval, such as "sword in his hand" in "Cry Thunder" by DragonForce) have been in FF-rated songs, so I think it should be fine.

#26 Bansheeflyer

Bansheeflyer

• 1,347 posts

Posted December 17, 2016 - 07:09 AM

We're starting to overthink this a bit. Most instrumentals are going to be FF unless there's an explicit title or album art.

I think this forum has sufficiently covered all exceptions to the rating system.

As a moderator I enforce the law...in moderation.

My Customs
My Works in Progress

#27 Farottone

Farottone

The Lean Mean Customs Charting Machine

• Administrator
  • 6,382 posts

Posted December 17, 2016 - 11:30 AM

We're starting to overthink this a bit.

Get outta here...

#28 Oddbrother

Oddbrother
  • 537 posts

Posted December 17, 2016 - 12:32 PM

Is it okay to upload multiple entries to the database if planning to chart different content rating versions?

#29 Farottone

Farottone

The Lean Mean Customs Charting Machine

• Administrator
  • 6,382 posts

Posted December 17, 2016 - 12:38 PM

Yes, sure.

#30 BassSinger313

BassSinger313
  • 59 posts

Posted December 17, 2016 - 11:45 PM

Topic has been updated to include discussions on Album Art and Instrumental tracks.

Xbox Live: Ba55Singer313

Nintendo Network: BassSinger313

Playstation Network: Ba55Reviews

Steam: basssinger313

Nintendo 3DS FC: 0130-2350-4615 (Subject to change due to getting a replacement.)

List of Tracks Packs In Progress

#31 wingsoveramerica

wingsoveramerica
  • 546 posts

Posted January 16, 2017 - 01:40 AM

d

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Family Friendly, Supervision Recommended, Mature Audiences, No Rating, Rock Band, Customs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users