Mastodon - Emperor of Sand

Mastodon

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,064 posts

Posted November 23, 2016 - 08:01 PM

I hope it's much better than the last one which I never really got into.

http://www.blabbermo...-is-in-the-bag/

#2 Bansheeflyer

Bansheeflyer

• 1,515 posts

Posted November 23, 2016 - 10:27 PM

Yeah I didn't really like Once More Around the Sun.

I'm excited for this new one though!

As a moderator I enforce the law...in moderation.

My Customs
My Works in Progress

#3 Chips

Chips
  • 421 posts

Posted November 25, 2016 - 09:42 PM

Is this the double album they said they were working on a while back? Hoping it's a return to form. Mastodon is kind of devolving in the same way that Metallica did and I'm not a fan.

#4 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,064 posts

Posted November 25, 2016 - 09:55 PM

I couldn't agree more. If you compare each of their albums and what they meant at the time:

Remission vs. Kill Em All: Rough and raw debut that got people's attention

Leviathan vs. Ride the Lightning: Significant progression in terms of songwriting and established they were a forced to be reckoned with

Blood Mountain vs. Master of Puppets: More exposure and success; considered by many to be the peak of their early work

Crack the Skye vs. And Justice for All: most progressive efforts that were hailed by fans but begin to wear on the band members throughout their respective tours

The Hunter vs. The Black album: both bands decided they've gone as far out as they would like and decided to scale song writing back and bring in producers that will bring a more polished sound.

Once More Around the Sun vs. Load/Reload: Both bands appear to be without direction and turn out uninspired albums that while not bad are a shadow of their former glory

#5 Septekka

Septekka

HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA

• 274 posts

Posted November 25, 2016 - 10:23 PM

While I'd agree OMRTS is their weakest album, I only like it a small margin less than The Hunter and I wouldn't say it's as hard of a fall as Load/Reload was for Metallica. "Ember City" is one of my favorite Mastodon tracks from their whole catalog, and "Chimes at Midnight" and "Asleep in the Deep" are great, too.

Anyway, if we continued the Mastodon/Metallica comparison, Mastodon's next album would be their St. Anger... so let's hope they break this pattern.

check out my customs thread for some COOL FUCKIN SHIT!!!

---

i think that indie band pink floyd really messed up when they didntmake that whole song money just the cash register sounds
pink floyd's "the wall" is an entire concept album about a man who needs no education because his dream is simply to build a lovely big wall

#6 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,064 posts

Posted November 25, 2016 - 10:40 PM

While I'd agree OMRTS is their weakest album, I only like it a small margin less than The Hunter and I wouldn't say it's as hard of a fall as Load/Reload was for Metallica. "Ember City" is one of my favorite Mastodon tracks from their whole catalog, and "Chimes at Midnight" and "Asleep in the Deep" are great, too.

Anyway, if we continued the Mastodon/Metallica comparison, Mastodon's next album would be their St. Anger... so let's hope they break this pattern.

I hope we don't he don't have to endure St. Mastodon. Can't we just skip to Death Mastodonic?

#7 Chips

Chips
  • 421 posts

Posted November 26, 2016 - 10:12 AM

I'm waiting for their Lulu to drop, myself.

#8 Bansheeflyer

Bansheeflyer

• 1,515 posts

Posted November 26, 2016 - 10:51 AM

I'm hoping for another Crack the Skye. I really liked that album. Blood Mountain has my favorite songs but Crack the Skye had the highest number of songs I enjoyed.

My Customs
My Works in Progress

#9 Chips

Chips
  • 421 posts

Posted November 28, 2016 - 11:24 PM

Yeah, I would've loved for them to refine their Crack the Skye sound further but they seemingly dropped it altogether. 

#10 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,064 posts

Posted November 28, 2016 - 11:54 PM

Another thing to remember is that these guys are old. They didn't record Remission in the early 20's. There were all late 20's or early 30's when they came together so now they're all over 40 and don't have that fire most bands would still have at album 7 but I hope they prove me wrong.

#11 Septekka

Septekka

HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA

• 274 posts

Posted January 27, 2017 - 12:00 AM

Well, the first single has leaked. While I'm not normally the type of person to listen to leaks, and the sound quality is kinda off, I'd definitely say they're moving in the right direction with this album.

check out my customs thread for some COOL FUCKIN SHIT!!!

---

i think that indie band pink floyd really messed up when they didntmake that whole song money just the cash register sounds
pink floyd's "the wall" is an entire concept album about a man who needs no education because his dream is simply to build a lovely big wall

#12 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,064 posts

Posted January 27, 2017 - 12:11 AM

Having Brendan O'Brien behind the boards is a plus. I just hope the vocals aren't too polished. The Hunter polish was a far as they should ever go. Music sounds good. More work for me in the future lol

#13 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,064 posts

Posted January 27, 2017 - 05:43 PM

Vocals sound good to me. Crack the Skye polish is back!

#14 Bansheeflyer

Bansheeflyer

• 1,515 posts

Posted January 27, 2017 - 08:43 PM

Sweet. Looking forward to March 31st.

Now to see how the new Gorillaz album will sound...

My Customs
My Works in Progress

#15 Linkoping

Linkoping
  • 1 posts

Posted January 28, 2017 - 12:45 AM

Gonna be honest, Once More Round The Sun is my favorite mastodon album, with a close second from Crack The Skye. Maybe I'm the only one who feels that way. Hype for new album though

#16 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,064 posts

Posted January 28, 2017 - 01:01 AM

Honestly I've only given Once More two complete listens. It failed to grab me at all. The other albums grew on me to the point I love them. This one has a lot of work to do though. If you go on their Youtube channel and watch the behind the scenes you see they're are trying to recapture the magic of CTS and it shows in the first single. I'm really stoked for the new album.

#17 Chips

Chips
  • 421 posts

Posted January 28, 2017 - 04:02 AM

Song is decent, but it doesn't really sound anything like Crack the Skye. It sounds more like a tightened up version of their last 2 albums, especially Once More Round the Sun. Second half of the song sounds like Black Tongue again.

#18 Cheesecake Militia

Cheesecake Militia
  • 14 posts

Posted February 3, 2017 - 07:55 AM

New song just released

Seems... uhhh. Dance-y? Decent guitar solo, but really seems like they're not moving far from OMRTS

#19 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,064 posts

Posted February 4, 2017 - 05:46 AM

This one is weak sauce. It could go either way now. I don't know why they push for those high notes that are on the brink of their range especially Troy. It sounds too forced

#20 Bansheeflyer

Bansheeflyer

• 1,515 posts

Posted February 4, 2017 - 06:42 AM

Mastodon Goes Pop

My Customs
My Works in Progress

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mastodon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users