Should I buy RB4 now?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Tekno

Tekno
  • 239 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 06:17 PM

So I know the majority here of people here were disappointed with RB4, I don't care about online play on RB its a party game after all, so other than that what were peoples issues and have they now been addressed? I am finally thinking of making the jump.

I do have a couple of questions though:

1) I have some old USB instruments will these work (from what I understand the legacy adaptor is for wireless instruments only)

2) Do I have to download my DLC song by song?

3) Would you recommend the new instruments or stick with old (eg I already have wireless pro drums for RB3)

4) Any news on a new stage kit?

5) THE BIG QUESTION: Would you recommend to me RB4 over RB3? or......

I keep thinking that I should I buy GHL instead and stick with RB3 for parties? 

Thoughts?

Thanks

"The artist formally known as Mr Wally"

#2 Farottone

Farottone

The Lean Mean Customs Charting Machine

• Administrator
  • 5,700 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 06:34 PM

You can used wired instruments with the new adapter. You do have to redownload one by one, but it's a one time thing. No new stage kit. RB4 over RB3 is a matter of your gaming habits but RB4 over GHL is a no brainer for me. Rivals is gonna add a good amount of replay value also.

#3 Fat Ha1p3rt

Fat Ha1p3rt
  • 266 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 06:36 PM

1. If you have old instruments then I think that is the way to go. But yes, wireless only.

2. I believe you still have to download DLC song by song, at least that is the way it was when the game came out. They may have added an easier way since then but I don't believe they have.

3. Stick with the old, especially if you already have them. The new drums are garbage. The guitar doesn't have any major issues, but it isn't different enough from the old one to justify another purchase. I would grab a GH3 Les Paul, that's personally my favorite. PDP is making new instruments to go with the new expansion, Rock Band Rivals, so those will hopefully be an improvement over the Mad Cats hardware that came out at launch.

4. According to Harmonix devs on Reddit, the stage kit could be made to work theoretically, but I believe there needs to also be some work on Microsoft's part, and they haven't been too helpful with the game thus far.

5. At this time, Rock Band 3 is the much better game. Access to customs, keyboard support and 7 simultaneous players as well as several years of polish makes Rock Band 3 the best game in the series by far. Rock Band 4 is still receiving updates to play catch-up with features that Rock Band 3 already has. That being said, Rock Band 4 is an evolving platform that will updated for this entire console generation. In my biased opinion, I dont believe Rock Band 4 will ever be a better game, even after all the updates. I understand it is an uphill better for this game because they have to start from scratch, but at the end of the day it is dreadfully bare bones.

#4 Tekno

Tekno
  • 239 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 07:00 PM

So the new drum kit is rubbish? Oh dear, was thinking about getting that as a back up to my rb3 one 

I'll have to look and see what Rivals brings to the table then (not really paid much attention to it) might wait for a RB4 + Rivals Disc (if that is going to be a thing) rather than buying vanilla RB4, I guess I can wait a little longer, however RB4 is fairly cheap now at £88 for band in a box, so I'm torn.

Reasons for wanting RB4 is I want something new for myself, I love RB3 obviously but I don't play it anymore unless its a party (and I'll still play it at parties even if I get RB4) as I'm not saying bye to Metallica, Guns n Roses, Led Zepplin and many MANY more customs the legends here have done over the years.

EDIT: So looked in to this, it's £199 to pre-order, so thinking of just getting vanilla RB4 with the adaptor then pre-order the Rivals digitally. Then buy the new instruments separately as and when I need to.

#5 markmc

markmc
  • 47 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 11:08 PM

Personally i just cant get into Rock band 4, played it twice since release and never for more than an hour then i put on RB3, only thing i like so far in RB4 is song voting which really mixes things up, i'm hoping rivals changes my mind, yes i will still buy it.

Guitar hero live i have played a lot, got game and guitar for £28 new :)  always new songs coming out and its a good challenge with the new guitar but if guitar is not your thing then i can see why it doesn't appeal.

Let's hope the new RB4 update is all we want it to be!

#6 Bansheeflyer

Bansheeflyer
  • 930 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 11:22 PM

Yeah if there's one thing I wish Rock Band 3 had it's the voting system. Freestyle solos are fun but it's nice having something other than the "random" button when you're not sure what you feel like playing.

Steam: Bansheeflyer PSN: Bansheeflya Xbox LIVE: Banshee Flyer

My Customs

My Works in Progress

#7 Nolan

Nolan
  • 12 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 06:16 PM

GH Live is in my opinion the better option, but RB4 is gonna finally be pretty solid for everyone coming up soon.

PS3 and Xbox drummer :D

C3 Legacy Database unFC'd list: https://docs.google....MgKk/edit#gid=0

#8 Storm360

Storm360
  • 280 posts

Posted August 16, 2016 - 11:49 AM

One thing which I didn't see said... The wired adapter is only for ions/ekits and stage kits.

Even RB1 drums aren't supported according to Harmonix

#9 Sideshow

Sideshow
  • 2,293 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 12:59 AM

If your primarily a vocalist or guitarist then the added harmonies to legacy DLC and freestyle guitar solo's warrant a purchase of the game now.  If your a drummer, I think it's only worth it if your on the PS4 because you have access to more drum kits such as ekits and ION's.  If your a bass player then there isn't anything new to the table. 

#10 Tekno

Tekno
  • 239 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 08:48 PM

One thing which I didn't see said... The wired adapter is only for ions/ekits and stage kits.

Even RB1 drums aren't supported according to Harmonix

So my xplorer 2 guitar won't work but my stage kit will???

#11 katkill

katkill
  • 66 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 05:34 PM

Very, very late to this show.  Assuming you are talking about the Xbox One version:

Just wanted to chime in the download song by song bit.  It doesn't work that way anymore (though you can if you want to).  If you go into the Rock Band 4 game management, it will show you all the songs that are tied to your Xbox Live account and there is an option to download all content that already isn't installed.

So, it's either all or one by one.  Your choice.  :)

#12 kueller

kueller
  • 31 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 09:29 PM

From a quick internet search it seems like PS4 has backwards compatibility? I've never owned a PS3, so if that's true would it be more worth it to get some hopefully cheaper older instruments and use those? Looks like the new drums aren't good and I prefer GH guitars anyways.

#13 Sideshow

Sideshow
  • 2,293 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 01:58 AM

I can't stress enough how much better the title screen of the game looks at v2 compared to v1 with band members moving around.  Also the setlist sorting is back to RB3 standards and I can actually see the total amount of songs I have in my setlist.  I don't have the actual Rivals mode yet due to Amazon delay but from what I'm hearing its great.

#14 jokeman23

jokeman23
  • 342 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 02:15 AM

I can't stress enough how much better the title screen of the game looks at v2 compared to v1 with band members moving around.  Also the setlist sorting is back to RB3 standards and I can actually see the total amount of songs I have in my setlist.  I don't have the actual Rivals mode yet due to Amazon delay but from what I'm hearing its great.

I've been playing hte hell out of it. Aside from a few stat tracking bug it is incredibly fun and addictive especially if you love competitive stuff like chasing gold stars or FC's. Rivals mode is great. 

#15 clintilona

clintilona
  • 589 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 12:41 PM

Yep, Rivals mode has me playing Rock Band addictively for the first time in a long, long time.
**Rock Band needs more Power Metal**

#16 drummerockband

drummerockband

I Charted Tegan and Sara and All I Got Was This Crappy Title

• 756 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 05:39 PM

Yep, Rivals mode has me playing Rock Band addictively for the first time in a long, long time.

I 100% agree. Before Rivals, I barely played RB4 at all. Now I can't stop playing it :D

#17 Nolan

Nolan
  • 12 posts

Posted October 22, 2016 - 04:35 AM

RB4 is gonna finally be pretty solid for everyone coming up soon.

Told you!

Yeah, RB4 is a lot better now. It's finally in my opinion the game it should've been a year ago. Played it more the past two days than I had in the previous four months or so.

PS3 and Xbox drummer :D

C3 Legacy Database unFC'd list: https://docs.google....MgKk/edit#gid=0

#18 VOC Sonder NL

VOC Sonder NL
  • 140 posts

Posted November 17, 2016 - 08:43 PM

A few questions
Im thinking of buying a RB4 with wireless guitar.
I think the playlist is not good but there are a handfull songs I wanna try and I could use a second guitar.

I play customs and Official dlc on my Xbox 360 with my Beatles guitar.

- can I play Official dlc on the Xbox one and on the 360 (360 almost Always offline.
So I want the songs on Both consoles with Same account.

- can I use the Beatles guitar on the Xbox
Do I need an adapter
Can I use the Beatles guitar on Both consoles or do I need to connect it again to the other console if I want to switch?
Tnx

#19 Dash Riprock

Dash Riprock
  • 458 posts

Posted November 17, 2016 - 09:05 PM

DLC will co-exist on both consoles.

You'll need a Legacy Game Controller Adapter to use the 360 controller with the XB1. 

Roland Drums | Gibraltar Rack & Hardware | Pearl / Hercules Stands | M-Audio Keyboards | Charts by Harmonix, C3 & Me
░    WiP : Blues Traveler - Run-Around   ░▒▓█ 

#20 corporalgregg

corporalgregg
  • 135 posts

Posted November 19, 2016 - 01:19 PM

And, yeah, you'll have to sync the guitar every time you switch consoles, but it takes like 5 seconds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users