prog metal dream theater jazz

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 onyxite

onyxite
  • 34 posts

Posted April 16, 2016 - 02:27 AM

Hello there!

My name is Mike, I go by Onyxite, and I've been charting mostly prog & metal RB customs for a few years. I did a large amount of drums charts for someguy913 and his Twitch chat back when he streamed RB drums regularly, including a good third or so of Dream Theater's discography, and ever since the C3 community database launched I've started back up doing full band charts.

I have a... particular charting style for drums and the other pro instruments -- I strongly believe Rock Band transcriptions should be as motion-accurate as possible, closely emulating the movement and feeling of the original instrument parts. This means I break from "Harmonix style" in some areas: for example, I generally don't put open hihat drum gems on a different pad from closed ones, I almost always chart ghost notes even if they are not audible in the full mix, and I'm not afraid to put drum gems on unorthodox pads to better map to the original drummer's kit layout. But, I also believe Rock Band should never be artificially harder than the real instruments -- if an instrument feature is missing in-game, better to make it too easy than too hard.

I greatly admire and strive to emulate other authors who follow a style a similar to this, including (but not limited to!) Grinnz, mazegeek999, TheLieInKing, Confury, Bloodline, DragonTaser, BearzUnlimited, and CyclopsDragon.

I'm also a programmer, and for as long as I've been doing customs I've been developing a tool to help make them. It functions as a "front-end" or preprocessor for Magma, which can process your audio files (pad, trim, add count-in sounds, etc.) and transform your MIDI file (difficulty reduction, double bass pedal reduction, automatic BEAT track, etc.) before handing them off to Magma. I've also built a fairly kickass "web preview" app that plays back Rock Band charts in the web browser, which you may have seen from the video link on some of my database customs. Both of these are under development and may get public releases in the near future :rock:

All charts below have count-in sounds, practice sections, and automatic difficulty reductions (including pro keys). A few have manual reductions as noted. All 2x Bass Pedal songs come in both 2x and 1x versions. Phase Shift packages include the 2x Bass Pedal version as Expert+ difficulty. I'm always open to collaboration; if you want to merge work with any of my unfinished charts, or contribute reductions/venue/etc., just shoot me a message!

Dream Theater's Systematic Chaos

Onyxite's Jazz Pack 1

Full Band Charts

Vocals for Other Authors' Charts

A lot more drums and full band charts coming soon!

Edited by onyxite, March 22, 2017 - 05:57 AM.

#2 The_Guitar_Hero_King

The_Guitar_Hero_King
  • 868 posts

Posted April 16, 2016 - 02:30 AM

Are you still planing on looking into a better lip sync tool? once that is out it will look way better then RB4 releases :D

Do you like lot's of Muse, my thread has it Here
Other bands on my thread are Arctic Monkeys, Katy Perry and Metallica & Ozzy Osbourne.

#3 iammax

iammax
  • 584 posts

Posted April 16, 2016 - 03:03 AM

hoooooooooly shit

#4 Sideshow

Sideshow
  • 2,319 posts

Posted April 16, 2016 - 06:13 AM

Magnificent release.  Isolated drum track full album!

#5 kobras

kobras
  • 149 posts

Posted April 16, 2016 - 07:08 AM

Awesome release.
It would be perfect if you can just add unique id to yours songs.

#6 Rushfan2112

Rushfan2112
  • 526 posts

Posted April 16, 2016 - 01:53 PM

This is awesome. Thanks for the DT songs. Can't wait to play them. 

Great Work, Appreciate you sharing with us. 

Love the Music or Hate it but don't complain about it . It's FREE !!

#7 Distressed Ping

Distressed Ping
  • 280 posts

Posted April 16, 2016 - 06:11 PM

Wow! Epic. The DT song's must have taken forever to chart. Thanks

#8 RavenShadow

RavenShadow
  • 23 posts

Posted April 16, 2016 - 09:39 PM

Wow ! Thank you !

#9 Ditg

Ditg
  • 106 posts

Posted April 16, 2016 - 10:43 PM

Great release!!! Thanks, I know you must have poured lots of time into this and it is appreciated!!!

#10 ShinyZeni

ShinyZeni
  • 235 posts

Posted April 20, 2016 - 12:42 AM

Dude. DUDE. YES. So excited!!! So glad I found your thread! Thank you for being awesome and releasing Dream Theater and seeming generally awesome!!!!

#11 beard216

beard216
  • 1,627 posts

Posted April 20, 2016 - 02:07 AM

He's been working on these work a WHILE. :D Great work!

#12 Veitli

Veitli
  • 36 posts

Posted April 20, 2016 - 02:31 AM

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! This was the first Dream Theater album I bought and it is very welcome! I play PS3 and Forsaken is skipping for me.  If someone can post a good link of that it would be even better :)

The Dark Eternal Night is my personal favorite!

#13 fanf13

fanf13
  • 16 posts

Posted May 3, 2016 - 09:22 AM

Thanks a lot for this release =)

A really good job on this !

#14 ShinyZeni

ShinyZeni
  • 235 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 12:13 AM

Hey, sorry it took me so long to do it but I finally got around to playing through Systematic Chaos and I freaking LOVED it!!! Thank you so much! Also I am terrible at drums. That is all. :)

#15 onyxite

onyxite
  • 34 posts

Posted June 18, 2016 - 03:21 AM

I've been hard at work on a bunch of upcoming packs of songs, but I figured I'd take the time to update my thread, and also release a song that doesn't quite fit into any of those packs.

96nMWwB.jpg

This is a full band completion of an incredible drums chart by porcupinkfloyd.

Also in the main post are some vocals charts I've contributed to other authors' customs. Expect more collaborations with mazegeek999 as well as AJFOne23's Mastodon project!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! This was the first Dream Theater album I bought and it is very welcome! I play PS3 and Forsaken is skipping for me.  If someone can post a good link of that it would be even better :)

The Dark Eternal Night is my personal favorite!

Hey, sorry it took me so long to do it but I finally got around to playing through Systematic Chaos and I freaking LOVED it!!! Thank you so much! Also I am terrible at drums. That is all. :)

(also everyone else who posted)

Awesome! :D Always really great to hear of people enjoying my songs. Mediafire reports hundreds of downloads but I usually don't get a ton of feedback! The Phase Shift downloads I put up were broken for like 2 weeks, and even though they had a bunch of downloads listed I never got a report... (FYI if anybody downloaded those and they didn't show up in PS, get the new versions on the database!)

Veitli, unfortunately I don't know anything about the PS3 conversion process -- I assume you're using the thing C3 CON Tools provides? If you're still having this issue perhaps Nemo or someone else knowledgeable could help.

Awesome release.
It would be perfect if you can just add unique id to yours songs.

Do you mean the Author ID? Is there something that this helps with in C3 CON Tools? (I'm on a Mac, so I only use Magma in a virtual machine to compile, and then I just manage the USB drive manually; I'm not familiar with C3 CON Tools' library management.) My songs shouldn't conflict with anyone else's -- when they are put together via my build tool the song ID uses a hash of the song title/artist/pedal-count. Let me know!

#16 Bansheeflyer

Bansheeflyer
  • 958 posts

Posted June 18, 2016 - 06:48 AM

Ah, a song after my own heart.

Steam: Bansheeflyer PSN: Bansheeflya Xbox LIVE: Banshee Flyer

My Customs

My Works in Progress

#17 kobras

kobras
  • 149 posts

Posted June 18, 2016 - 10:09 AM

Do you mean the Author ID? Is there something that this helps with in C3 CON Tools? (I'm on a Mac, so I only use Magma in a virtual machine to compile, and then I just manage the USB drive manually; I'm not familiar with C3 CON Tools' library management.) My songs shouldn't conflict with anyone else's -- when they are put together via my build tool the song ID uses a hash of the song title/artist/pedal-count. Let me know!

I mean if you copy you Magma C3 Author ID (06602 for you) into magma, when you generate a song for Rock Band, the id will be in a numeric format and the song will be cache wip proof (that mean that if I delete and rebuild my cache the score of my songs will not be deleted). :)

#18 AkiraNomuraBCN

AkiraNomuraBCN

Phase Shift Guy 2

• 366 posts

Posted June 19, 2016 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for the song by The Agonist

The Easy dificulty on drums is hardest than medium

And the year of the album is 2009 not 2011

#19 onyxite

onyxite
  • 34 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 01:58 AM

I'm proud to release Onyxite's Jazz Pack 1!

Featuring a 3-pack from Japanese death jazz group Soil & "Pimp" Sessions, as well as two full band versions of jazz drums charts from TheLieInKing.

Spark (Hiromi: The Trio Project)
J2aeifp.jpg

Celestial Terrestrial Commuters (Mahavishnu Orchestra)
edsVBLR.jpg

Sabotage (Soil & "Pimp" Sessions)
fVYkknX.jpg

Scoop Out (Soil & "Pimp" Sessions)
8yJijIA.jpg

Keizoku (Soil & "Pimp" Sessions)
CDtjku3.jpg

Brooklyn (Youngblood Brass Band)
WN0AdRq.jpg

The Nag (John Scofield)
Drums by TheLieInKing.
XplR74Q.jpg

A Crimson Rose and a Gin Tonic (Asuka Sakai, Ado Mizumori) [Katamari Damacy OST]
Drums by TheLieInKing.
X2ebG9V.jpg

I mean if you copy you Magma C3 Author ID (06602 for you) into magma, when you generate a song for Rock Band, the id will be in a numeric format and the song will be cache wip proof (that mean that if I delete and rebuild my cache the score of my songs will not be deleted). :)

Ahhh! I did not know that; thanks for explaining. I've used numeric IDs for all of the jazz pack, as well as updated The Tempest. I'll go back through my others soon and do the same.

Thanks for the song by The Agonist

The Easy dificulty on drums is hardest than medium

And the year of the album is 2009 not 2011

Yeah, the auto reductions came out a little wonky on that :) Thanks for the date correction. (I think 2011 came from the RBA floating around by dertanz.) I've updated it with that, as well as an author correction and a numeric song ID. I might do better reductions for it soon, as I half-started a nice VENUE track for the song.

#20 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 1,204 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 02:04 AM

this is awesome. more jazz is always welcomed!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: prog, metal, dream theater, jazz

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users