Rock Band 4 for PC?

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#21 Rushfan2112

Rushfan2112
  • 623 posts

Posted March 1, 2016 - 06:51 PM

This announcement moves the needle for everyone, even those who are not realising it yet. ;)

If this charting machine Man says it's going to move the needle and be big......

Then it's going to blow us away !

Who knows more about Rock Band & making customs than this great charting person ( Farottone ) ?

Enough said. I thought so . :D  

Love the Music or Hate it but don't complain about it . It's FREE !!

#22 Rushfan2112

Rushfan2112
  • 623 posts

Posted March 1, 2016 - 06:53 PM

Rock Band engine has always been so much tighter than Phase Shift, and also, vocal support.

Thanks Storm that explains why I suck at drumming on phase shift, damn game is too loose !  lol  :)

Love the Music or Hate it but don't complain about it . It's FREE !!

#23 Jimi369

Jimi369

• 377 posts

Posted March 1, 2016 - 06:55 PM

Well shiver me timbres, I be feelin' the sea callin' out for the pirate ships to set sail.

They must be very confident in their encryptions.
I hope it works out for them and for us as players.

w o r k                                                            w. i. p.                                                                   w a n t

C3U

#24 samjjones

samjjones
  • 1,492 posts
    NJ: The Home of Sinatra, Springsteen, and Bon Jovi

Posted March 1, 2016 - 06:56 PM

They must be very confident in their encryptions.

They were probably feeling pretty confident until Mr. Nemo reminded them that the encryptions would probably be cracked within a year ;)

#25 pipiris24

pipiris24
  • 100 posts

Posted March 1, 2016 - 06:56 PM

I'm exciting! I just receive a mail from Harmonix and my heart is too accelerated. I will support the campaing right now.

I want to see keys back, it is just a track in the midi (actually they are 7 tracks). I hated that previous songs before RB3 didn't receive keys and I really hate that all keys were remove. Also I don't want to buy all the DLC I own for xbox 360 again.

Visit my post for Spanish Customs

http://pksage.com/cc...ipiris-customs/

#26 EvilChameleon

EvilChameleon
  • 226 posts

Posted March 1, 2016 - 07:02 PM

Former Harmonix man and current Giant Bomb man Alex Navarro has some choice words for this...

abc0e22c51f3e0070b9aa0e824e4c957.png

4b964b43c8702517f76a4aeb0ed16478.png

6f441aac4f142141c2abcef918f05677.png

4f5dc78ec3ec8d5f4b76be540037a28f.png

d8fe8cb168ac7860de8ea42423cfd4f7.png

ef9af1dc99161336afc42f1ac605d9b9.png

#27 Bansheeflyer

Bansheeflyer

• 1,652 posts

Posted March 1, 2016 - 07:24 PM

As much as I'd hate to agree with Alex Navarro, he's probably right. Porting it to PC seems more like a last attempt at resuscitating the rhythm game hype via one of the least party-like consoles.

Look at the sales for GH3 compared to the Xbox 360, PS3, or even PS2. Considerably small. Most people didn't even know it existed (including myself, only learned because I wanted to make my own songs). At this point, only the major Rock Band fans are gonna support this. If it weren't for my friend and this forum, I would've never found out about this.

This is coming off a lot more cynical than I was intending. I hope it works out. I really do. I just feel that a party game on a PC after sales from the clearly more potential consoles, as well as lack of exports from previous games probably aren't going to be as profitable a venture as hoped. Unless you don't have/don't plan on getting an Xbox One/PS4 or really, really want RBN songs, there's really no point in getting a new game with new peripherals. Keys are still clearly not going to happen. It just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Much luck to Harmonix.

As a moderator I enforce the law...in moderation.

My Customs
My Works in Progress

#28 Kemiroch

Kemiroch
  • 718 posts

Posted March 1, 2016 - 07:25 PM

Something cool I thought of:

With PC support of strange nonstandard resolutions, I wonder if it would be possible to do crazy things like shunt the note highways to different displays. This would allow you to create a 'performance' display for onlookers, and 'monitors' for the people playing the instruments.

Check out Kem's Customs! Featuring The Sounds, The Donnas, George Thorogood, and The Rolling Stones.

WIPs.

Collaboration Thread!

#29 Bansheeflyer

Bansheeflyer

• 1,652 posts

Posted March 1, 2016 - 07:34 PM

Something cool I thought of:

With PC support of strange nonstandard resolutions, I wonder if it would be possible to do crazy things like shunt the note highways to different displays. This would allow you to create a 'performance' display for onlookers, and 'monitors' for the people playing the instruments.

Cool idea. I'm not sure how that would work for people who like all the info on their screen (stars, overdrive, band performance, score) - I'd assume you can have it on each screen or only on the "performance" screen. Honestly I see very few situations for this to be useful, but it is a cool concept nonetheless.

Harmonix should hire you. :b

My Customs
My Works in Progress

#30 NuttyBoy

NuttyBoy
  • 16 posts

Posted March 1, 2016 - 07:57 PM

I mean...I hope this happens for the PC gamers...but Rock Band is a social/party game for the most part, IMO.  Casting from a PC to a big-screen TV will never work properly due to latency issues.  This announcement doesn't really move the needle for me at all.

Always played RB3 on my Xbox 360 on my 55inch  Sharp, with audio going direct to the Surround Sound System, once you run the calibration never had a problem at all.

Like the idea of PC RB4 assume will be somewhat easier to have customs.

#31 Mr Wally

Mr Wally
  • 332 posts

Posted March 1, 2016 - 08:08 PM

Hhhmmm this is interesting maybe my postponement of getting rb4 xbox one might pay off, however no DLC transfer will be a deal breaker for me. 

But this is interesting for the creators on here, from the $49 and above bracket:

ALSO included are tools to convert your own midi tunes/stems into DLC you can upload to Steam Workshop,

"I am the Tekno Junkie"

#32 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 5,020 posts

Posted March 1, 2016 - 08:12 PM

Wonder how this will tie into C3, we may end up with a potentially huge custom scene and that makes me really excited for the future.

Well, it definitely will. Simply because they're already taking about tools. That means new version of Magma or a new equivalent of it. I don't doubt seeing how I was able to abuse the fact that they didn't obfuscate the code for Magma, they will protect the new tool better. But even if I can't reverse engineer it, I can at least be inspired by whatever they add and get what I can from it. So anything that can be ported for use in RB3 customs will be, and then of course if/when RB4 customs happen we'll have the means to make the customs.

I mean...I hope this happens for the PC gamers...but Rock Band is a social/party game for the most part, IMO.  Casting from a PC to a big-screen TV will never work properly due to latency issues.  This announcement doesn't really move the needle for me at all.

This makes no sense. A monitor has much lower latency that any regular TV. Many people play RB3/RB4 now on PC monitors with their consoles. Playing on PC out to a monitor or like I do, out to a big screen TV, won't induce any more latency that what is already there when I play RB4 on the Xbox One to the same TV.

The RBN tools for RB4 part sure caught my attention.

Same here.

But more exciting to me is non-song mods. Certainly the modding community would be able to do things like add hairstyles, clothing, instruments? What about venues, sorting options, character creation? Or the big kahunas of Keys, Pro Strings, and Online Multiplayer?

It could be huge.

Not it!

I wonder if they could convince Microsoft to allow DLC licenses to transfer to Windows 10? After all, they are really pushing for the whole unified Windows ecosystem (phone, tablet, PC, and now Xbox)

Not likely. For once, they're claiming over on Reddit that PC is its own platform. I asked for clarification because this only makes sense if the game is restricted to getting its DLC from one source (say, Steam). If the DLC is direct from HMX, they could honor prior purchases. If Steam is going to take a piece of the pie, then they can't, as it means Steam is the equivalent of Sony/Microsoft. Likewise, if they do that, they can't also release DLC via another route, as then "PC users" would still not be entitled to the DLC if they bought it from Windows Store instead of Steam, for example. It's all messy in theory, we have to see what they say. 

TrojanNemo is doing work over in the Reddit thread on this.

They were probably feeling pretty confident until Mr. Nemo reminded them that the encryptions would probably be cracked within a year ;)

I was trying to make them feel comfortable. It's more likely to happen within a shorter amount of time. I refer everyone to the case of GTA V on PC. They used very strong encryption and they are known for protecting their game files. Yet it took the Russians (I forget his name now, sorry dude) literally hours to crack the .exe encryption and within a couple of months almost all of the game could be modded. There is no way Harmonix has the manpower to come up with better protection than Rockstar did.

#33 Ollie

Ollie
  • 319 posts

Posted March 1, 2016 - 08:13 PM

Hard to disagree with Navarro here, it seems like a desperate move.

I confess that the whole concept of having RB4 on PC is intriguing, since it would mean RBN will be back through steam workshop, and the customs scene would be stronger than ever.

But according to HMX developers that answered on reddit, nothing has been really thought of regarding licencing issues, DRM, encryption... they're basically asking for funding without giving much guarantees about content. Coming from the company that already has issues delivering the goods with its Amplitude HD crowdfunded game. Meh.

And obviously, I completely understand why DLCs and exports will not be transfered over, but that's rough.

#34 MissingElements

MissingElements
  • 530 posts

Posted March 1, 2016 - 09:06 PM

Well I didn't read deeply into it but hopefully I'll be able to play the hundreds of songs I've bought/still buying on the PC version, if I were to buy it. And play DLC made for that in the Xbox version. Like if I were to make one of my own songs in PC, then I could play it in Xbox. I also hope the old RBN stuff will become available on the Xbox, because I got stuff from Blackguard to both of Gigakoop's songs and Nightmare Lyre's. Nobody has to reply to this, I'll keep reading if I missed it. I'm just excited, but upset that there's no keys to also add.

#35 Bansheeflyer

Bansheeflyer

• 1,652 posts

Posted March 1, 2016 - 09:16 PM

Well I didn't read deeply into it but hopefully I'll be able to play the hundreds of songs I've bought/still buying on the PC version, if I were to buy it. And play DLC made for that in the Xbox version. Like if I were to make one of my own songs in PC, then I could play it in Xbox. I also hope the old RBN stuff will become available on the Xbox, because I got stuff from Blackguard to both of Gigakoop's songs and Nightmare Lyre's. Nobody has to reply to this, I'll keep reading if I missed it. I'm just excited, but upset that there's no keys to also add.

From what I understand all DLC will be purchasable minus exports. I can't imagine them changing the song files themselves all that much so porting any PC customs to Xbox should be possible.

As for the old RBN stuff, it sounds like it will be available on Xbox and PS4 after a certain amount of time. May take a while, but they will be there eventually.

My Customs
My Works in Progress

#36 raynebc

raynebc
  • 287 posts

Posted March 1, 2016 - 09:29 PM

I'm saving my interest for if/when they confirm Xbox 360 Ion drum kits will be supported. Their crowd funding page says they're looking into wired controller compatibility.

#37 Oddbrother

Oddbrother
  • 578 posts

Posted March 1, 2016 - 09:38 PM

Paid UGC had failed on the Steam Workshop before. I hope RBN can make a breakthrough of this. I do find it more appropriate for this scene.
Right and right, left and left, spin and turn, and a great big smile.

#38 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 5,020 posts

Posted March 1, 2016 - 09:58 PM

I'm saving my interest for if/when they confirm Xbox 360 Ion drum kits will be supported. Their crowd funding page says they're looking into wired controller compatibility.

Well, it won't be a driver issue for sure. FoF/Phase Shift and even my Rok Drummer program can read MPA and Ions just fine. Nordee responded to my comment as to that effect, acknowledging that if I could access the input, they could as well. I'm fairly sure this is a done deal on PC. If the game makes it past an idea.

#39 Maxton

Maxton
  • 62 posts

Posted March 1, 2016 - 10:20 PM

According the the page, Ion kits will be "straightforward" (emphasis mine):

We will support most existing Rock Band instrument controllers, with some exceptions and caveats.  Bluetooth controllers from Rock Band 1, 2 and 3 (PlayStation 2, 3, or Wii) will require the correct Rock Band Bluetooth to USB adapter. Rock Band 4 Bluetooth controllers for PlayStation 4 will require Bluetooth for your PC, either built-in or with a generic Bluetooth adapter. Wired USB instrument controllers (e.g. ION drums) should also be straightforward - we need to test further to see if we need to write new drivers. Same goes for Xbox 360 wireless instrument controllers - these will work, but will probably require us to write new drivers you will need to install depending on which dongle/adapter you use.  Finally, we’re working with Microsoft to add support for Rock Band 4’s Xbox One instruments; stay tuned!

#40 raynebc

raynebc
  • 287 posts

Posted March 1, 2016 - 10:29 PM

The reason I PM'd HMXJosh was because their official compatibility explanation was indefinite. I figure the odds are that it'll work, so I pledged for the game. We'll see how far this goes. I helped fund the new Amplitude, and am disappointed they haven't gotten the PS3 release out to backers yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users