Mad Catz in Trouble

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 samjjones

samjjones
  • 1,492 posts
    NJ: The Home of Sinatra, Springsteen, and Bon Jovi

Posted February 23, 2016 - 08:39 PM

Not sure if everybody saw this the other week...

http://www.polygon.c...ck-band-4-sales

Mad Catz' CEO resigned and they laid off 37% of their employees two weeks ago.

They bet almost everything that they had on Rock Band 4 being successful, and while Rock Band 4 is selling okay, the big box retailers quickly discounted the cost of the bundles and peripherals, and it's killed Mad Catz' profit margins.  They've quadrupled their losses since last year.

Of course, if Mad Catz gets out of the Rock Band business, there goes the platform.  HMX isn't going to get into the business of building hardware peripherals again.  Without hardware...then the platform is in serious trouble.

#2 Farottone

Farottone

The Lean Mean Customs Charting Machine

• Administrator
  • 6,469 posts

Posted February 23, 2016 - 08:48 PM

Something doesn't add up. People couldn't find the bundle, we were told that they were struggling keeping up with demand. Then earlier this month it was reported, as you link, that RB4 didn't sell as well as expected.

I wouldn't tie RB4 performances to Mad Catz issues, but clearly Mad Catz issues will impact on the platform. That, and RB4 drums are more often than not faulty, and they're not gonna get fixed now probably...

#3 darkadder88

darkadder88
  • 33 posts

Posted February 23, 2016 - 09:53 PM

I know by fact if Rock Band had shipped with Multiplayer or came with an update already they would have better sale figures.

#4 Bansheeflyer

Bansheeflyer

• 1,652 posts

Posted February 23, 2016 - 10:18 PM

Honestly I don't think online multiplayer is the reason it didn't sell well. I'm sure it didn't help, but there are a lot of other factors why RB4 isn't as big as hoped, such as a smaller budget, a relatively unknown set list, lack of many features, poor advertisement (if you weren't already a fan of the game you probably weren't going to find out about it), and just the simple fact that the rhythm game fad that mainly took off in 2007 with Guitar Hero 2 has died off in favor of shooters and MMOs.

Most of this is debatable for sure, but from what I've seen happening with the rhythm game industry, I'm not sure why Mad Catz placed as much faith on RB4's sales as they did. Guitar Hero Live fell short of expectations as well and I can guarantee you Guitar Hero Live got a significantly higher budget, too.

As far as Mad Catz goes, I personally think they're meh. Sometimes their stuff seems cheap, others seem very well-built, but since they're practically a monopoly when it comes to gaming peripherals (at least here in the US) they can get away with a lot of that. I personally wouldn't be devastated if they folded but it's definitely not looking as grim as it was right after the CEO resignation and layoffs.

That being said, Saitek is one of my favorite controller-making companies and they're owned by Mad Catz, so if they go under, I'm worried what'll happen to Saitek. I guess time will tell.

As a moderator I enforce the law...in moderation.

My Customs
My Works in Progress

#5 samjjones

samjjones
  • 1,492 posts
    NJ: The Home of Sinatra, Springsteen, and Bon Jovi

Posted February 24, 2016 - 12:10 AM

I know by fact if Rock Band had shipped with Multiplayer or came with an update already they would have better sale figures.

HMX crunched the numbers, and they know way better than we do as to whether online multiplayer would have been profitable for them to do.

When RB came out, I (anectdotally) know a bunch of people who bought 360's just to be able to play Rock Band.  I'm wondering if less people bought XB1/PS4 this time around just to play Rock Band?  I mean...it's certainly not 2008 anymore, but it seems like RB4 hasn't been much of a blip in social circles.

#6 invudontseeme

invudontseeme
  • 11 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 12:17 AM

I never picked up RB4 because of the lack of Ion Drum Rocker support. I play RB mostly to play on my drums, and the stock RB drum sets are too simple for me. My friend actually gave me a copy because he had an extra, but I haven't even opened it yet.

#7 TrojanNemo

TrojanNemo

The Programmer

• 5,020 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 12:38 AM

HMX crunched the numbers, and they know way better than we do as to whether online multiplayer would have been profitable for them to do.

Nonsense, this guys knows by fact!

#8 Farottone

Farottone

The Lean Mean Customs Charting Machine

• Administrator
  • 6,469 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 12:49 AM

If it came with "free sex" coupons it would have sold even better, but there's that nagging issue of budget and margins. ;)

#9 beard216

beard216
  • 2,383 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 01:40 AM

I work at a "toy store" with the backwards Rs. Around Christmas season, GHL came out first and we had all of the product FOR the exact date of release. HMX sent their product to us 2 weeks late. Plus the price is kinda ridiculous if you DON'T own a PS4 seeing how PS3 instruments are forwards compatible, needing no "legacy adapter". I also agree on the having no online play kinda BS. So in order to play any of these songs full band live, i need 4-7 people in house? Really sucks.

Professional defeater of Hobbzee's RB scores since 1989. :D :P

My C3 Universe Profile!

http://twitch.tv/ziltoid216

#10 anglebracket

anglebracket
  • 148 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 02:00 AM

When RB came out, I (anectdotally) know a bunch of people who bought 360's just to be able to play Rock Band.  I'm wondering if less people bought XB1/PS4 this time around just to play Rock Band?  I mean...it's certainly not 2008 anymore, but it seems like RB4 hasn't been much of a blip in social circles.

i don't doubt it. given the huge difference in console hype between gens 7 and 8, it's far less likely nowadays for someone to drop hundreds of dollars on a console just to play a single game, let alone a very expensive game whose heyday has long since passed.

< my customs >

< latest release: White Town and Chromeo >

#11 imac007

imac007
  • 105 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 01:54 PM

Hey...I bought a PS/4 around XMas just to play the new Batman game.  But I don't think I'll ever buy RB4, I'm having too much fun with RB3 and all my customs......

#12 FujiSkunk

FujiSkunk
  • 1,014 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 03:44 PM

I'm one of those freaks who actually bought an XBONE just to play Rock Band 4.  However, I will say the decision was a lot less spontaneous than the earlier decision had been to buy an XBox 360 just for Rock Band.  I don't regret the decision, but I've played RB4 a lot less than I thought I would.

So I don't doubt there were a lot less of us this go-round.

#13 Ollie

Ollie
  • 319 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 03:51 PM

From what I understood, they're basically betting the company's life on their (overpriced) Street Fighter V peripherals. Doesn't bode too well for the future if they're not bought out by another company.

#14 Sideshow

Sideshow
  • 2,609 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 08:16 PM

Thank you MadCatz for making the Midi Pro Adapter which is one of the best peripherals ever.  If only a XboxOne and PS4 versions can come to fruition. 

#15 Kemiroch

Kemiroch
  • 718 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 10:31 PM

Thank you MadCatz for making the Midi Pro Adapter which is one of the best peripherals ever.  If only a XboxOne and PS4 versions can come to fruition. 

As I understand it the Midi Pro Adapter DOES work on PS4. Only XBone users got the shaft on that one :(

Check out Kem's Customs! Featuring The Sounds, The Donnas, George Thorogood, and The Rolling Stones.

WIPs.

Collaboration Thread!

#16 FujiSkunk

FujiSkunk
  • 1,014 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 02:32 AM

As I understand it the Midi Pro Adapter DOES work on PS4. Only XBone users got the shaft on that one :(

Eyup.

#17 GreenPanda12

GreenPanda12
  • 469 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 10:24 AM

I'm one of those freaks who actually bought an XBONE just to play Rock Band 4.  However, I will say the decision was a lot less spontaneous than the earlier decision had been to buy an XBox 360 just for Rock Band.  I don't regret the decision, but I've played RB4 a lot less than I thought I would.

So I don't doubt there were a lot less of us this go-round.

I did the EXACT same thing as you!! hahaha

I have barely played RB4 just because RB3, I feel is better on so many levels. If they bring online to RB4 then I'll consider taking it up again on a regular basis. But I just don't see the benefit from it atm.

Also, I spent $500 on this game and was thoroughly disappointed. I guess the only thing I can take away from this game is having my name in the credits. hahaha

krGOH09.jpg

Rock Band : Harmonies Project Contributor and C3 Author

C3 Universe Profile - http://p.c3universe.com/greenpanda12

#18 SuD

SuD
  • 74 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 09:06 PM

well, here in Brazil the RB4 bundle is around, now, R$ 2.000,00 (our minimum wage is R$ 880,00... yes, it's more than 2 minimum wages) and the game with the guitar we can find for R$ 900,00. those prices are on an ebay/like site, we don't have the official sale here. I have a PS4, that I paid R$ 2.000,00, but there's no way I will buy the game here. I will stay with my RB3 and XBOX360 WITH toms of customs =).
in the other hand, we have official GHL with guitar, and we can find them on sale for R$ 350,00.
so, as much as it concerns to Brazil, we cannot help madcatz and HMX here =(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users