Banshee's Customs - 12/18/19: Neil Young!

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#201 Bansheeflyer

Bansheeflyer

• 1,584 posts

Posted August 30, 2019 - 06:58 PM

New customs incoming!

k5aPdaY.jpg

One of those "Oh, that song" moments, "Destination Unknown" was released in 1982 on Spring Session M, an anagram of the band's name. The song saw moderate success, peaking at #42 of the Bilboard Hot 100 where it sat for 13 weeks.

This song was released for the C3X Tour 1 Finale. The song's inspiring lyrical content consists of uncertainty about the future, not knowing what lies ahead but willing to keep on whatever that may be - something I felt fitting for the tour's finale. An easy song to listen to and easier to play, the only real tricky parts are some drum fills by the talented but horribly underutilized Terry Bozzio. It makes an excellent warmup or party song!

6GmDNJ4.jpg

The departure of Scott Weiland and Chester Bennington left Stone Temple Pilots without a singer. The remaining members sought out a new singer, attracting over 15,000 applicants until they settled on Jeff Gutt, The X-Factor contestant and singer for nu-metal band Dry Cell. Many including myself have happily accepted Gutt as the new singer, sounding enough like Weiland to keep the STP sound going but also different enough to allow the band to grow differently. The band was back and with the Gutts to release a new album.

Stone Temple Pilots was the second self titled album, decidedly so as the band's rebirth after Scott and Chester. "Meadow" was one of the many songs off the album that paid tribute to STP's past vocalists, particularly Weiland. In fact, "Weiland" in Dutch means "meadow".

The powerful chorus, a rocking bass,  and upbeat tempo give the album more of a hard rock sound than the grunge STP's been known for but "Meadow" still carries the signature sound that propelled the band into fame. It's a lot of fun to play on every instrument, a great warmup song or for parties.

Did I also mention I absolutely love this album art?

As a moderator I enforce the law...in moderation.

My Customs
My Works in Progress

#202 Bansheeflyer

Bansheeflyer

• 1,584 posts

Posted December 16, 2019 - 07:48 PM

Hi all,

Quick update. The wonderful FujiSkunk came to me with a modified version of "Faith" that includes a count-in, vocal tonic, and an alternate stem mix that matches the original album mix a bit more. This version is also compatible with PS3 users.

To make sure you guys have the ability to enjoy both Rocker1999's and FujiSkunk's mixes I have added the link to FujiSkunk's under the "other files" links while Rocker1999's will remain as the main links. For clarification, the first "other files" link goes to the PS3-compatible CON of the original version, the second "other files" link goes to the modified Fuji version.

I plan on adding the count-in and vocal tonic to a future update of the Rocker version.

Thank you Fuji for this awesome iteration!

My Customs
My Works in Progress

#203 Bansheeflyer

Bansheeflyer

• 1,584 posts

Posted December 19, 2019 - 04:10 AM

Hello all!

One song this time, the first Chart-a-thon contribution from yours truly...

8P5j3Ym.jpg.

Collaborators:

yaniv297 - Bass, vocals

Huge thanks to yaniv for some last-minute charting so we could fit this song into his pack for Chart-a-thon!

Part of Neil's opus magnum After the Gold Rush, "Don't Let it Bring You Down" is a bittersweet theme of not letting the bad get to you, although the song appears to come off as sarcastic as much as it is meaningful. Amusingly the track was introduced by Neil on CSN&Y's Four Way Street album as, "Here is a new song, it's guaranteed to bring you right down, it's called 'Don't Let It Bring You Down'. It sorta starts off real slow and then fizzles out altogether." Neil often plays this live as an acoustic arrangement (Live at Massey Hall 1971 is an excellent example).

The song has been covered many times from artists like WolfmotherManfred Mann's Earth BandChris CornellThe Hold SteadyGuns N' Roses, and arguably most famously, Eurythmics's former singer Annie Lennox.

It's composed of many complex chords and tunings (the guitar is tuned to double drop C) and, while sounding hauntingly beautiful, was a pain in the butt to chart pro keys for. Generally easy to play but being an older folk-ish song it tends to not know whether it wants to swing or not so you'll have to pay attention to when you need to hit those notes!

Enjoy!

My Customs
My Works in Progress

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users