Uh oh, Kem is trying to Tempo Map again! - A New Attempt

tempo

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Ollie

Ollie
  • 319 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 01:37 AM

You're right, this sould be easier since the beat is pretty straightforward and easier to read.

Quick remarks :

- Your 2 first bars have a different tempo (98 bpm) from the third bar (110bpm) : not good !
- The tempo is 25% faster than what you have mapped, give or take (between 135-140bpm). You can see that the snare hits and drum kicks are not properly aligned in your bars (ie don't fall on beats or half-beats or quarter-beats...).

Each bar (at least at the begininng) should go :
S        S       S   k   S   k
1 and 2 and 3 and 4      

and the fifth snare hit should be the beginning of a new bar (instead of the sixth).

#22 Kemiroch

Kemiroch
  • 716 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 11:24 AM

OK, I get ya. I noticed that basic drum pattern and figured it should map around those, but I must not have been reading the waveform properly. I will take another look at it.

Thanks!

Check out Kem's Customs! Featuring The Sounds, The Donnas, George Thorogood, and The Rolling Stones.

WIPs.

Collaboration Thread!

#23 Kemiroch

Kemiroch
  • 716 posts

Posted November 3, 2015 - 10:03 PM

OK I went back and checked it again:

Project 2

It went much better. I think missing that fifth snare the first time was what messed me up. It actually feels right this time.

It's only partially done because something came up while I was working on it, but I wanted to post it just to make sure I'm really on the right track.

Check out Kem's Customs! Featuring The Sounds, The Donnas, George Thorogood, and The Rolling Stones.

WIPs.

Collaboration Thread!

#24 Ollie

Ollie
  • 319 posts

Posted November 3, 2015 - 10:33 PM

Yup, that's the idea. Only 150 bars left to map :)

#25 samjjones

samjjones
  • 1,489 posts
    NJ: The Home of Sinatra, Springsteen, and Bon Jovi

Posted November 11, 2015 - 01:16 PM

I don't know if this is relevant or not, but here's another explanation of tempo mapping:

http://forum.cockos....ead.php?t=14737

#26 Farottone

Farottone

The Lean Mean Customs Charting Machine

• Administrator
  • 6,464 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 01:49 PM

Why using that method when using the Q shortcut gives the same result without having to transform anything and without having to clutter the entire tempo track with markers? Genuine question, I'm curious to know.

One thing I do NOT advise is tempo mapping in real time: it's not even remotely accurate enough for a tight tempo map, just imagine the lag between you hearing a sound and pressing the button, plus the delay between when the sound occurs and when Reaper plays it back. Tempo mapping is 75% eye and 25% ears, use the waveforms and accurately place your markers on the peaks. :)

#27 Kemiroch

Kemiroch
  • 716 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 02:05 PM

Yeah I use the waveform mostly. I listen when there are a couple of peaks right next to each other and I'm trying to pick out which is the right one :) 

The main problem I have (out of lots of problems) is which peak out of the whole 'collection' of peaks that makes up one drum hit is the one I'm supposed to use.

WIPs.

Collaboration Thread!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tempo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users