Tempo Mapping is confusing

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Ephwan

Ephwan
  • 41 posts

Posted September 9, 2015 - 02:24 PM

I know how to chart notes and everything else needed yet for the life of me I cannot do the temp map. I am lost. I have watched tutorial videos and I am just getting more confused. Some songs seem absolutely impossible to set a tempo map for. I want to author but this is just killing me. Are there any text tutorials specifically for Tempo Mapping?

#2 Blastoise

Blastoise
  • 14 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 01:50 PM

I have the same problem

#3 Farottone

Farottone

The Lean Mean Customs Charting Machine

• Administrator
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 03:15 PM

Tempo mapping is 1% rhythm game authoring and 99% music theory. Even a simple song in 4/4 time could throw you off if it starts on an upbeat.

#4 Blastoise

Blastoise
  • 14 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 04:02 PM

I'm using a test song to do tempo mapping (it's my first time doing this) but I guess that has something wrong

https://pbs.twimg.co...AdIsw.png:large

#5 Farottone

Farottone

• Administrator
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 04:07 PM

Yes, it kinda looks like not right. :) How fast are those high peaks?

#6 Blastoise

Blastoise
  • 14 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 05:32 PM

356 bpm, 250, 400... and I made it a average of the song and it is 130 BPM. I'm confusing about the "Majors" ... I'm wait 4 seconds for the clap sounds and then I try to look for the peak neatly to press "Q", I guess that this method is very very bad...

PS: When I say clap sounds its about that in Beat track.

#7 ghostbyob

ghostbyob
  • 550 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 10:08 PM

I can do the BPM if you have so much problems :derp:

Posted Image

#8 Blastoise

Blastoise
  • 14 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 10:44 PM

It's very cool from your part ghost, I really apreciate that...but I really want to learn tempo mapping and do by myself. I have many(double) troubles with tutorials because I'm learning english and then become to be very hard understand what the psage is explaining.

#9 Blastoise

Blastoise
  • 14 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 10:45 PM

if one of you guys explain for me with more details may I can learn... when you do this, think that you are teaching for a little kid... (what a SHAME FOR ME!!!)

#10 LkProd

LkProd
  • 95 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 10:53 PM

I'm by no means an expert in that and still have problems with tempo mapping, so don't take my word as definitive, but;

Whenever I have trouble finding the tempo on the beginning of the song, I jump to the middle of the song and try to do a quick mapping of some upbeats there to see what the average BPM is and then I go back to the beginning and start over using the BPM I found before; most of the time it works just fine.

#11 Farottone

Farottone

• Administrator
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 11:00 PM

Is there really no MIDI or GP for your song?

#12 Blastoise

Blastoise
  • 14 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 12:41 AM

and what about mine? in many "points" of the song I pressed "Q"... I'm caught myself thinking "HAVE MANY HERE! I JUST DON'T NEED TO LOOK FOR THE REAL PEAKS OF THE SONG and then press Q?" ... 

and Ghostbyob, I really loved your anime project 1.0 and your work is one reason that push me to start to do (trying in this case) songs for phase shift.Someday I do a video playing in expert the God knows...

and thanks for all the support guys, English is not my natural language and this makes very difficult learn here. But I'm studying and hope that someday we can talk here with more facility.

#13 Blastoise

Blastoise
  • 14 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 12:48 AM

@farottone  are you question about the midi charts? If I made it the charts of the music? 

#14 Farottone

Farottone

• Administrator
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 12:54 AM

What's the name of the song you're working on?

#15 Blastoise

Blastoise
  • 14 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 12:57 AM

Bleach opening 9 velonica 8-bits , sir.

to be honest i guess that the band is Aqua timez

I start with 8-bits songs just to learn how to use the reaper but I realize that it's hard to do tempo mapping with them.

#16 Blastoise

Blastoise
  • 14 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 01:15 AM

so, I'm making new points but other doubt come to my head

as you can see in the image the Bmp is chaging to 140 to 130 - 150... have any problems with this changes? need to be only 130 BPM to be correct?

https://pbs.twimg.co...Eplu1.png:large

#17 The_Guitar_Hero_King

The_Guitar_Hero_King
  • 868 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 05:12 AM

I suck at tempo mapping to, but i do find EoF helps me with tempo mapping as you can have the gird on and see the lines match up with the song but i still have trouble. 

Do you like lot's of Muse, my thread has it Here
Other bands on my thread are Arctic Monkeys, Katy Perry and Metallica & Ozzy Osbourne.

#18 Blastoise

Blastoise
  • 14 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 07:05 PM

ok ... I tried to fix yesterday

https://pbs.twimg.co...Ecik4.png:large

what do you think now farottone?

#19 Farottone

Farottone

• Administrator
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 07:13 PM

Looks cleaner, though it's still a judgment made by looking at a low res picture. ;)

#20 Blastoise

Blastoise
  • 14 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 07:51 PM

thanks, I watched Nyx video and psage livestream something about .... a hundred thousand times. hahahaa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users