MrBurpler's Customs -- Thick as a Brick (with Bsbloom!)

Rush Tool Yes Prog Slint Indie Rock Close to the Edge Spinal Tap Thick as a Brick Jethro Tull

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#101 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 103 posts

Posted March 22, 2017 - 04:54 AM

For those wondering, I'm planning on updating some of my customs in the near future.

Customs Thread, Customs Song DBWork In Progress Thread, C3U Profile

If you see "MrBurpler" anywhere on the internet there is a 99% chance that it's me.

#102 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 103 posts

Posted March 23, 2017 - 04:41 PM

Updates have been added to Hemispheres and Scatterbrain.

If you see "MrBurpler" anywhere on the internet there is a 99% chance that it's me.

#103 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 103 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 09:02 PM

Release:

Spinal Tap - (Listen to) the Flower People

bNmi065.jpg

http://customscreato...r-people-r16174

Yep. Spinal Tap! The best band in the world. This is a song recorded back in 1967 when they were a psychedelic pop-rock group. This song has a similar feel to stuff The Monkeys would be putting out around that same time.

This song was included in their 1982 album "Smell the Glove", as a bonus track since they were running out of new material to put on the album. This album sparked much controversy over it's heavily censored cover, the original cover [according to Bobbi Flekman] was "a greased, naked woman on all fours with a dog collar around her neck and a leash, and a man's arm extended out... holding on to the leash and pushing a black glove in her face to sniff it."

I don't know sounds ok to me.

Either way Marty Di Bergi did a great documentary of the band at that time covering the North American leg of the "Smell the Glove" tour [Dubbed "Smell the Tour", if my sources are correct]. This is a great song from the band, and one that will last a lifetime

just a note this is not the reggae version that was released as DLC, this is the original version.

#104 samjjones

samjjones
  • 1,232 posts
    NJ: The Home of Sinatra, Springsteen, and Bon Jovi

Posted March 31, 2017 - 01:06 PM

Excellent writeup!!!

"This pretentious ponderous collection of religious rock psalms is enough to prompt the question, 'What day did the Lord create Spinal Tap, and couldn't he have rested on that day too?'"

#105 FujiSkunk

FujiSkunk
  • 671 posts

Posted March 31, 2017 - 03:56 PM

Wow.  How much more black could that album cover be?

#106 TheSheepQueen

TheSheepQueen
  • 426 posts

Posted March 31, 2017 - 04:19 PM

Vantablack wasn't a thing back in the days, we can still do d4rker ;)

#107 samjjones

samjjones
  • 1,232 posts
    NJ: The Home of Sinatra, Springsteen, and Bon Jovi

Posted April 1, 2017 - 06:42 PM

None.

None more black.

#108 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 103 posts

Posted April 13, 2017 - 04:01 AM

So I was going to bulk release these, but ultimately decided against it. The update for "The Spirit of Radio" is up, with a new keys track thanks to ejthedj! Credits for each part are in the new description as well!

#109 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 103 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 10:57 PM

Release (with Bsbloom):

Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick (album)

imJST4K.jpg

Part 1:http://customscreato...k-part-i-r16743

Part 2:http://customscreato...-part-ii-r16744

Lyrics by Gerald "Little Milton" Bodstock. The lyrics were considered to controversial and as a result he was disqualified from the poem competition. Well Jethro Tull wrote a 40 minute epic around those lyrics and what we get is considered by some to be the best progressive rock album ever made. You know everything about this song already, it's Thick as a Brick!

Special thanks to Bsbloom who let me work on this with him, it great fun and a pleasure to work on this project. As a final note, there is a "full song" version in the "other" downloads section, it's the whole album as one custom (when researching the album Ian Anderson stated that part of the concept was that it was supposed to be one song spanning two sides of an LP). The midi is well over the minimum, but when playtesting I came across no issues.

Here's Bsbloom's Origonal post.

#110 MrPrezident

MrPrezident

C3U Moderator

• 430 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 05:11 PM

I've just watched the preview through cPlayer, haven't played it in game yet.   This really is the most fascinating custom I've seen here in months.  I don't think anyone is going to top this one for a long time.  I've already excitedly told two band mates "some madman charted the entire Thick as a Brick album as one giant custom".  Just amazing.  You rock dude!

Proudly Canadian - The Canada 150 Project Pack #4  -  arriving on Canada 150 Day, July 1st, 2017      -= My Profile =-    -= My Customs =-    -= Discussion =-  

#111 Funk Meister Freud

Funk Meister Freud
  • 557 posts

Posted May 30, 2017 - 02:10 PM

Undeniably awesome effort! Thanks for this heavyweight of a chart!

Dude! This rocks HARD!!! Thanks so much to you and Bsbloom! :rock:  :D  :rock:

You may think the stuff I bring is 'cheesy' but ask yourself this......is it american or is it brie?

#112 Colonel 32dll

Colonel 32dll
  • 737 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 02:32 AM

Amazing feat. Great job, guys!

#113 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 103 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for all the compliments a lot of work went into this custom!

In some other news, I just updated "Spiderland" with pitched vocals! (yay!)

#114 iammax

iammax
  • 590 posts

Posted June 4, 2017 - 02:27 AM

Tried the full version on guitar. Lots of fun, although it unfortunately froze when trying to load the score screen. I wonder why it gets all the way to the end of the song and THEN freezes? THat's happened on other very long customs I've tried as well. At least I could play, managed gold stars too.

#115 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 103 posts

Posted June 5, 2017 - 03:02 PM

The midi for the 40 min version is well above the limit for a midi. Although I had no issues when testing it myself, that kinda thing might happen ("Colors" by BTBAM and "Cassandra Gemini" will do that to me on occasion).

#116 bsbloom

bsbloom
  • 325 posts

Posted June 6, 2017 - 11:16 AM

Yep.  Parts I and II work.  The combined version might work for you - it works for some people.  Given the size of the MIDI, it isn't supposed to work at all. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rush, Tool, Yes, Prog, Slint, Indie Rock, Close to the Edge, Spinal Tap, Thick as a Brick, Jethro Tull

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users