MB's Customs: TOOL - OPIATE TRACKS!

Rush Tool Yes Prog Close to the Edge Jethro Tull The Mars Volta One Day as a Lion Slint King Crimson

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#121 rcale

rcale
  • 429 posts

Posted August 9, 2017 - 08:26 AM

Thank you so much for 'The Suburbs '. I'd completely forgotten how good that was. Just stunning. Can't wait to fire it up later this week.

#122 k-mac

k-mac
  • 253 posts

Posted August 9, 2017 - 01:29 PM

Thank you so much for the Arcade Fire!  Suburbs is one of my favourites!

#123 MrPrezident

MrPrezident

C3U Moderator

• 1,000 posts

Posted August 9, 2017 - 02:36 PM

Good stuff! Thanks for these

FORUM THREAD  /  MY CUSTOMS -  "Almost Everything from Al Green to Ween" since 2016

p89ZznR.png KhDyqmU.png

#124 frigginelvis

frigginelvis
  • 73 posts

Posted August 10, 2017 - 08:32 PM

("Sprawl II" is a great example of this).

Any chance you're working on this? :smug:

#125 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 154 posts

Posted August 13, 2017 - 04:15 PM

Any chance you're working on this? :smug:

I'm working on a whole selection of songs from "The Suburbs".

Customs Thread, Customs Song DBWIP Thread, C3U Profile, MGMT WIP Thread

If you see "MrBurpler" anywhere on the internet there is a 99% chance that it's me.

#126 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 154 posts

Posted August 26, 2017 - 11:03 PM

Release:

MGMT - Electric Feel

s22v892.jpg

http://customscreato...ric-feel-r18080

A classic by MGMT. The memorable bass line will infest you mind and you'll be humming it for days. The highlights for this song are definitely the bass and keys track. It's kind of hard for me to explain what makes this song work for me, It's just really easygoing and carefree (with lyrics like "do what you feel now" i guess that makes sense). It's one of MGMT's best, so be sure to pick this one up.

This is an upgrade from Vx_'s custom. I got permission to upload this to the DB with the necessary upgrades. Should Vx_ return he'll get control over the custom again.

Guitar & Keys: Vx_ 

If you see "MrBurpler" anywhere on the internet there is a 99% chance that it's me.

#127 MissingElements

MissingElements
  • 526 posts

Posted August 26, 2017 - 11:47 PM

Didn't you just have Kids by MGMT uploaded?

#128 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 154 posts

Posted August 26, 2017 - 11:51 PM

I did, but I hadn't relized that it's official DLC. So I deleted it.

#129 MissingElements

MissingElements
  • 526 posts

Posted August 27, 2017 - 01:29 AM

I did, but I hadn't relized that it's official DLC. So I deleted it.

OH YEAH THAT'S RIGHT, I honestly forgot it was too!

#130 rcale

rcale
  • 429 posts

Posted August 27, 2017 - 09:54 AM

Great! Thanks for this. :)

#131 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 154 posts

Posted August 30, 2017 - 03:03 AM

Release:
One Day as a Lion - One Day as a Lion (EP)

Wild International

ZuVzvlV.jpg

http://customscreato...national-r18122

Ocean View

MeDqSBP.jpg

http://customscreato...ean-view-r18121

Last Letter

t8dAS2x.jpeg

http://customscreato...t-letter-r18120

If You Fear Dying

r6sLsAy.jpeg

http://customscreato...ar-dying-r18119

One Day as a Lion

92Sa6Wn.jpg

http://customscreato...s-a-lion-r18118

A small project by ex- Mars Volta drummer Jon Theodore and ex- Rage Against the Machine singer Zack de la Rocha. It some very interesting stuff and reminds me more of Rage than anything the other Rage members did since the break-up(ie. Prophets of Rage). The lineup currently has Joey Karam on keys, bring the power-duo to a power-trio. However with no activity since about 2011 it kind of begs the question if they will ever release anything else.

I first discovered this EP after trying to find more project that Jon Theodore was a part of. This little EP features some great power drummer by him and Zack de la Rocha brings his signature style very reminiscent of Rage. This EP really does sound like Rage Against the Machine but with a keyboard instead of a guitar.

I really like this EP. I really want there to be more material from this band, but in the meantime, this will have to suffice.

#132 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 747 posts

Posted August 30, 2017 - 03:30 AM

Awesome! I thought I was the only person who liked/heard-of One Day as a Lion! Grabbing it all ... and hoping for guitar in the future! Because isn't that a guitar?

#1 Ranked Wii Customs Player... because it's the Wii
"Like a madman laughin' at the rain" - My custom song releases
Freelancers wanted! - Works-in-progress
"One-Trick Pony" - Details of my contributions in the database!
In-Depth Eclectic Suggestions - Let's collaborate!

Vocals Charting Philosophy - Because sometimes less is more
Packing Like a Pro - The Guide for a Legit Wii Library
Last.fm Profile - Let's be snobs together.

#133 MrPrezident

MrPrezident

C3U Moderator

• 1,000 posts

Posted August 30, 2017 - 05:29 PM

Wow! Getting Wild International is a huge surprise but the ENTIRE EP AS WELL ?   This is one of my favourite packs in a long time.  Thanks Mr B!

Awesome! I thought I was the only person who liked/heard-of One Day as a Lion! Grabbing it all ... and hoping for guitar in the future! Because isn't that a guitar?

That is most definitely a keyboard running through guitar FX and amps on all of the tracks.  

https://en.wikipedia...e_Day_as_a_Lion

FORUM THREAD  /  MY CUSTOMS -  "Almost Everything from Al Green to Ween" since 2016

p89ZznR.png KhDyqmU.png

#134 Atruejedi

Atruejedi
  • 747 posts

Posted August 30, 2017 - 09:16 PM

That is most definitely a keyboard running through guitar FX and amps on all of the tracks.  

https://en.wikipedia...e_Day_as_a_Lion

Color me surprised. Sounds like a guitar to pedestrian me :) But that's the point of it, right?

#1 Ranked Wii Customs Player... because it's the Wii
"Like a madman laughin' at the rain" - My custom song releases
Freelancers wanted! - Works-in-progress
"One-Trick Pony" - Details of my contributions in the database!
In-Depth Eclectic Suggestions - Let's collaborate!

Vocals Charting Philosophy - Because sometimes less is more
Packing Like a Pro - The Guide for a Legit Wii Library
Last.fm Profile - Let's be snobs together.

#135 Mugen

Mugen
  • 11 posts

Posted August 31, 2017 - 07:11 AM

Could you maybe do Next of Kin by Alvvays?

#136 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 154 posts

Posted August 31, 2017 - 04:26 PM

Could you maybe do Next of Kin by Alvvays?

Anything from that album is on the table. 

#137 Mugen

Mugen
  • 11 posts

Posted August 31, 2017 - 08:38 PM

Anything from that album is on the table. 

I hear you on that, the whole album is fantastic. Can't wait for Antisocialites.

#138 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 154 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 04:38 PM

Release:
The Mars Volta - Selections from De-Loused 

Roulette Dares (The Haunt Of)

vzPSw0Y.jpg

Tira Me a las Arañas/Drunkship of Lanterns

IYayDHf.jpg

This Apparatus Must be Unearthed

K4i1j97.jpg

Three songs from De-Loused that I have been working on for a while now. These are upgrades from sideshows drum-only customs. A while a ago I asked sideshow if I could update these and he gave me the go ahead. These are not 100% complete, most of the tracks are missing keys and they are all missing a proper venue track, I'll have them updated in the next couple months (because i work so slowly). Anyway enjoy these tracks! there's plenty more to come!

#139 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 154 posts

Posted April 23, 2018 - 10:48 PM

The Mars Volta - Selections from De-Loused 

Roulette Dares (The Haunt Of)
LWpgx8H.jpg
The third song on the album, Roulette Dares serves as a great show opener and is a tune that carries many different types of music within it; mostly rock and jazz. Unlike other songs that try to blend the two, this song actually flows well, leading from one section to another with little disorientation to the listener.

This song shows a great range in dynamics, with the song going from blisteringly loud to insanely quiet in only a beat. This ability for the band to do that and the fact that the songs were written that way can make the album a frustrating listen since the album is compresses to (nearly) garbage. I love the album, and would love an "unmastered" or "high dynamic range" version of the album, the songs deserve it.

Tira Me a las Arañas/Drunkship of Lanterns
iYWk8at.jpg
One of the best songs on the album, Drunkship uses a dotted 8th bass pattern that drives the song forward. Taking the song from one section to the next there is a level of intensity that is there even in the more mellow part of the songs. The ladder half of the tune is split by a weird soundscape section that when played live, the band would use the opportunity to jam out like no tomorrow, some performances included the guitar solo from Cygnus....Vismund Cygnus and the band jamming out for close to 30 minutes. The ending verse and guitar solo are the best part of the song, it's has such drive and enthusiasm from the band that it's nearly impossible to not rock out while listening to it.
The way this song is written and performed makes it seem to me like a perfect fit for a car chase scene in an action movie. Who knows, maybe someday it'll happen.

This version of the song is still the final album version, although it's taken from an earlier master where the between track soundscape isn't there. Everything else is the same, but if your wondering why those sounds are gone, that's why.

Eriatarka
5BkzjbL.jpg
A more delicate song on the album, Eriatarka boasts a fast intense chorus and mellow and even kinda laid-back verses. This is one of the tracks that seems to fall between the cracks as the band got older and older, performing it less and less (to my knowledge). Jon Theodore abuses his signature cymbal during the chorus and Cedrix's vocal soar high above the song, singing words that are so nonsensical the vocals might as well be another instrument. This song (much like the whole album) has a lot of imagery in it, but nothing that relates to a concrete theme of the song or anything where you could say "the song is about___". It's similar to Jon Anderson's lyrical style in that regard.

This Apparatus Must be Unearthed
ttC279K.jpg
One of the shortest songs on the album. This song has a more basic song structure (verse, chorus, verse, chorus) which isn't found in many Mars Volta songs; at least not on this album. 

What's interesting to note about this song is the very ending drum solo. Although this custom version has the drum track playing forward, on the final recording the drum solo is actually reversed. However cool it is to listen to (and it is), I didn't find it worked that well for rock band, so I opted to use the "demo version" drum solo. The demo and the final master are identical is every way with the exception of some panning of the guitars and keys. The demo is also unmastered, so you get the full dynamic range of the song (something I complained about in the write-up for "Roulette Dares"), I'm sorry to go on about this for two write-ups, but it really bothers me!

These are upgrades from sideshows customs. A while ago I spoke to him about updating various Mars Volta Tracks. All credits for the original drum-only custom go to sideshow and ItalianStal1ion. I added guitar, bass, and vox, and made some minor changes to the drum part (and added keys).

#140 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 154 posts

Posted June 19, 2018 - 07:39 PM

New song released! "The Prophet" by Yes!

Link and Description in OP

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rush, Tool, Yes, Prog, Close to the Edge, Jethro Tull, The Mars Volta, One Day as a Lion, Slint, King Crimson

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users