MB's Customs: The Mars Volta - Tetragrammaton

Rush Tool Yes Prog Close to the Edge Jethro Tull The Mars Volta One Day as a Lion Slint King Crimson

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#161 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 165 posts

Posted August 7, 2019 - 01:41 PM

The Mars Volta - Cotopaxi

GB4R2hF.jpg

http://customscreato...cotopaxi-r24228

Another Mars Volta classic. This song features a more typical or usual song structure that really wasn't a part of TMV's style (especially in the early days). Featuring energetic, bombastic playing from all members of the band, the bass and the drum part really shine in this track. Cedric Bixler-Zavala comes at this track with is usual high-octave/high-energy singing that i doubt anyone can sing along to, he's just singing way too high. Although Jon Theodor was out of the band at the point, Thomas Pridgen turns down the over-playing on this track while still maintaining the busy high-energy required for a Volta song. It's one of the shorter Volta songs, and although this might be "past their prime", this is still a great track to pick up!

Customs Thread, Customs Song DBWIP Thread, C3U Profile, MGMT WIP Thread

If you see "MrBurpler" anywhere on the internet there is a 99% chance that it's me.

#162 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 165 posts

Posted August 29, 2019 - 08:13 PM

I light of the NEW RECORD coming out tomorrow I figured now would be the best time to release some more Full Band TOOL Customs. This Time we go back in time to their first ever release OPIATE. Released in 1992 this collection of six (and a hidden track) offers the most "basic" and straight forward metal that tool would ever release. No fancy polyrhythms, no extended musical passages. It's straight, and in-your-face. It's a... 

Tool 2fer!

1nKFKnb.jpg

http://customscreato.../_/sweat-r24431

The very first song of the very first EP but the band TOOL! It's a great song with some nice arpeggios and some syncopated parts in the intro and the bridge, the verses have a 6/8 feel as Danny Carey opens the hi-hat every 3rd note. It's interesting comparing mid-to-late 90s Carey to modern Carey as he progressively uses less and less cymbals as the bands career went on. Guitars and bass are nice and phat and aggressive. Maynard's is top notch and has so much emotion in it. It's TOOL! You'll love it!

JgL5YJf.jpg

http://customscreato...rt-of-me-r24430

Another aggressive, in-your-face track. Just hows how much of a metal act TOOL really was back in the day as this song features some aggressive double bass work. The lyrics leave a little to be desired as Maynard sings about how he knows someone so well that they are practically "a part of him". Lyrics are a bit repetitive, but that doesn't really detract from the song since it is so short. This might be one of tools shortest songs (excluding the interludes on the other records).

If you see "MrBurpler" anywhere on the internet there is a 99% chance that it's me.

#163 AJFOne23

AJFOne23
  • 2,124 posts

Posted August 29, 2019 - 09:26 PM

kick ass!

#164 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 165 posts

Posted November 9, 2019 - 11:20 PM

Tool - With DenVaktare

Fear Inoculum (album)

tzskpZ3.jpg

hhwbiSs.jpg

bVgXx4X.jpg

5JCqaUE.jpg

DX83RlR.jpg

aUKVlUy.jpg

Y1K1q5A.jpg

DenVaktare did the impossible.Chart all of Tool's new album in full band in just over 2 months. I was happy to have helped, working on the drum parts, pitching vocals, venues, and creating the keys parts. Den was clearly the spearhead in all of this and this is a crazy achievement by him that I'm glad to have worked on with him. The guy went above and beyond.

all 7 songs

all 85 minutes

all BRAND NEW TOOL

all now available in full band for your Rock Band playing pleasure!

I hope you enjoy playing them as much as Den and I did making them!

Enjoy!

#165 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 165 posts

Posted November 9, 2019 - 11:25 PM

Anyone looking for DV's thread for more TOOL and customs of his look no further!

http://customscreato...-teaser-102119/

The man does amazing work and he is one of the best charters on the website! It was a pleasure working with ya DV!

#166 brystmar

brystmar
  • 17 posts

Posted November 10, 2019 - 12:16 AM

Major props to you and DV on the new Tool tracks!  Can't wait to play through these tonight!!

#167 DenVaktare

DenVaktare
  • 246 posts

Posted November 10, 2019 - 01:08 AM

Anyone looking for DV's thread for more TOOL and customs of his look no further!

http://customscreato...-teaser-102119/

The man does amazing work and he is one of the best charters on the website! It was a pleasure working with y

Stop it, kid! You're going to make me blush! I am definitely not worthy of that title, but you certainly are! Thanks so much again for working with me on this! Still blown away by the quality of what you brought. 

Major props to you and DV on the new Tool tracks!  Can't wait to play through these tonight!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to do two posts! And I second the props to MrBurpler! 

#168 corporalgregg

corporalgregg
  • 150 posts

Posted November 10, 2019 - 01:27 PM

Phenomenal work from you and Den, I am about to play through the entire album now and can't wait to marathon every Tool custom in a couple weeks.  Thanks for what was undoubtedly an incredible amount of work!

#169 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 165 posts

Posted November 14, 2019 - 06:20 AM

NEW RELEASE!

5aITHkS.jpg

http://customscreato...-barrell-r24832

In celebration of the big Genesis release a number of years ago, we got a new tune for ya!

Harold the Barrel!

This song a very piano lead with a lot of chords and energy to it. The guitars add some nice extra instrumentation where necessary and the drum perfectly compliment that high-energy piano playing. The bass fills in all the holes that the guitar can't get it, and at times can almost feel like it's from a different song. Vocals offer some cool harmonies, especially near the end of the track, with Phil and Peter singing almost against each-other at some points.
Another one to add to your Genesis set-lists!

Thank-you to AJFOne23 who was kind enough to do the Vocals and the venue for the track!

#170 Dash Riprock

Dash Riprock

C3U Moderator

• 601 posts

Posted November 14, 2019 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for this. I was hoping someone would tackle it one day, and today is that day!

One quibble tho, Barrel has only one 'l'. 

Thanks again. :)

█▓▒░   C3 Universe  |  C3 Database  |  My Profile  | Feedback  |  WiP : A Mighty Wind  ░▒▓█ 

#171 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 165 posts

Posted November 14, 2019 - 04:09 PM

Thanks for this. I was hoping someone would tackle it one day, and today is that day!

One quibble tho, Barrel has only one 'l'. 

Thanks again. :)

OMG you're toally right!

It's now fixed with the proper spelling! Thanks for letting me know!

#172 sois

sois
  • 19 posts

Posted November 20, 2019 - 06:48 PM

Outstanding! I owe you guys a beer if you're ever in Vegas!

#173 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 165 posts

Posted December 3, 2019 - 06:44 AM

King Crimson - In The Wake of Poseidon

8Shu2PI.jpg

http://customscreato...poseidon-r24936

In the wake of... KING CRIMSON!

The emotional height off the second LP. Now this album does have a very similar feel as the first record, and this song is in the same spot that "Epitaph" is on the first record; so given that they are so similar it's safe to assume that this song is trying to hit the same emotional "note" as "Epitaph". That's not to say it's a bad song, in fact non of the songs off their second album are bad, it just feels like a little copy and paste of the first record.

This song has some great use of the mellotron, acoustic guitar, and double bass drum work. the technical playing is there, but it never is the focus of the song. The guitars and extra instrumentation adds layers that serve to build up the song, and they don't distract from the emotional element of the track. My biggest complaint about modern prog is that they seem to have forgotten to connect with the listener on an emotional level (*cough Dream Theater*). This just proves to me that even when King Crimson is ripping of itself they still sound better then most newer bands out there. Greg Lake proves again to be possibly the best voice in all of prog rock. His voice carries so much emotion and feeling that seems to just come naturally. The vocal overdubs near the back end of the track perfectly build in conjunction with the mellotron, it all builds to a climax.... and then the needle rises from the turntable....

#174 Sideshow

Sideshow
  • 2,600 posts

Posted December 3, 2019 - 07:04 AM

Thank you kindly for full banding "In the Wake of Poseidon".  I fell in love with this song back a few years ago when I played the drum chart.  Looking forward to singing it now.  Some of King Crimson's finest work IMO.

#175 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 165 posts

Posted December 30, 2019 - 08:50 PM

Yes - Relayer (Album)

ovVeYYZ.jpg

http://customscreato...delirium-r25358

The 20 minute epic anti-war song. Going through all the stages of a battle; before, during, and after. The first couple of verse touch on the moral complexities of actually going to war, and the brainwashing that can occur. Not from a 3rd party perspective though, it's being sung from a more 1st person perspective. This leads into a monster of an instrumental section... the battle section.

The battle section of the song is basically a call and answer solo between the guitar and keys and that's where things get intense. The key board melody, OH MAN!! It's sooo good! then the tension builds and builds and everything slows down until we get possible the best example of tension and release I have ever heard from any song. The 11/4 melody again with the keys. Oh man..... it's so good. And it reflects some type of "victory" that has taken place at this point in the song, but all the dust settles. People ask "was it all worth it?"

Then we get to the "Soon" section of the song. Was it all worth it? All this bloodshed and destruction, for what? From my understanding the people left after the battle vow to never have such an act committed again ("The sun will lead us Our reason to be here")

The guitar part is taken from Meander's chart, modified to match the new tempo map, and some edits were made.
A special thanks to AJFOne23 for the super awesome venue!

1Xww7Fl.jpg

http://customscreato...d-chaser-r25357

The search for sound, hence the title of the song. This is basically an instrumental track, with elements of jazz and that jazz fusion sound with the syncopated keys and drums at the beginning and middle of the track. Then Alan White's only drum solo (basically) with the keys on top, it's like there's no time signature, SWEET STUFF. Then the band comes in with the main riff and it's awesome and then the verses come it and it's also awesome. Then after the verses it's like some type of bass break and Chris Squire it just KILLING IT with that main riff. Then it's builds and builds and BAM! Steve Howe does this no-quite-solo-solo, and the mood of the song completely changes.

The songs get's all mellow and rises and falls with the guitar playing (again, like no time signature). After the guitar section there's a mellow verse then we're back into the action.

the main riff is played at medium tempo. then a fast tempo, then they slow it right down and out of nowhere there's this weird chant and then... a keyboard solo!  Guitar takes a back seat, the bass and drum holding a solid foundation and Patrick Moraz just kills it will excessive use of the pitch bend. The solo ends and then we get essentially an extended outro with that main rill and then more chanting. the main riff plays one more time and then with a flurry fill the song ends.

This is up there for most difficult song I've ever had to chart, I hope you enjoy!

A very special thanks to AJFOne23 for creating the awesome venue!

lt2VE5X.jpg

http://customscreato...-be-over-r13794

I love this song, everything about it just works, the lyrics, the musicianship, the arrangement, everything. This song isn't too difficult, guitar and keys will certainly be a highlight on this track. The Venue track was done by AJFOne23, who elevates the custom to something beyond that which I could have done. This song does have charted vocals and prokeys, which were transposed from a different source, so if there are charting errors with those tracks let me know!

Update - 12/30/2019:
Guitar, Bass, Keys, and Vox all have chart fixes/upgrades

#176 Shroud

Shroud
  • 299 posts

Posted December 31, 2019 - 10:08 AM

Wow...

I'd love to try and play these but I also know your drums charts include ghost notes that are way beyond my capabilities to follow. Can I ask you how did you make your drums reductions? Sound Chaser has the CAT symbol but not the other 2 songs, which I then suppose are manually done. What is your typical strategy when reducing to Hard?

#177 MrBurpler

MrBurpler
  • 165 posts

Posted January 23, 2020 - 04:15 AM

The Mars Volta - Tetragrammaton

YYhjZIM.jpg

http://customscreato...amnation-r25522

The "epic" off of their third album. This song sees lots of different sections and is maybe a bit more structured of a Mars Volta song. This song isn't as balls to the wall as other song in there discography (or even off this album) but it still features some great drumming by their best drummer Jon Theodore, some great vocal passages and guitar riffs and licks that just make ya go "MMMMM". I also want to point out some really cool use of post-session editing (or whatever it's called) with the guitar track before the first verse. The idea to start the passage in mono and slowly separate the three note guitar pattern between the left and right channel is so cool and inventive- I wish more bands would do things like that.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rush, Tool, Yes, Prog, Close to the Edge, Jethro Tull, The Mars Volta, One Day as a Lion, Slint, King Crimson

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users